• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

FyreWulff

Never say never though; Bioshock 1 & 2 has a uncapped framerate option on the 360 versions and BioShock 1 at least almost hits 60 at times on Xbox One!

I just imagine making Titanfall 360 BC is low priority since Titanfall is already native on the One. It'd be a cool final version of Bluepoint's work, though.

Dream bigger only to be disappointed when it's four small games

Fable Anniversary (360)
Spec Ops The Line (360)
Assassins Creed Syndicate (One)
Rise of the Tomb Raider (One)

rmatheso

Here is the interview Phil Spencer had with Waypoint, further detailing OG XBOX games at the 7:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5G4pdbKjWI

"I love video games as an art form, I think there are games from PS1, PS2, N64, Original Xbox that people should play, I think you should have access to the games you’re talking about." Spencer told Waypoint's Senior Reporter, Patrick Klepek."

"How we pick, we’ve got a collection of games we want to bring, we showed one of them (Crimson Skies), we’ll talk about more, it’s coming this year, you’ll get the full list."

"One of the things, not that people have to care about this, but some of these games are 15 years old and you search for them and the rights are all gone."

"We were talking about music rights before, like, music rights are not written into video games."

"Like, how do I go and get a THQ game? Seriously, there are these companies and you try and find the developer, you try and find the publisher and they’re just not in business."

"It’s why we didn’t stand up there and say 100 plus games like we did with the Xbox 360. With 360, just because of time proximity it was a little bit easier for us to do the math."

"I’ve got a collection of games a lot of them on the list that you mentioned before that are important to me. I was there, games that are meaningful, both in terms of gaming and the Xbox legacy which I want to bring back."

"We’re actually going to talk a little bit more about that this over the Summer, because we’re seeing some pretty special things there.

"But just in terms of frame rate, response and even some of the colour depth we have, the original Xbox games will play better on Xbox One X and Xbox One S just the same way 360 games do."

DocSeuss

Shut up Phil, just talk to THQ Nordic. He's chosen the weakest example. Now if he chose Midway, he'd have a point.

You know that THQ Nordic isn't the same company as THQ and doesn't own a bunch of old THQ games, right? Like... Deep Silver, Sega, Take 2, Ubisoft, and other companies bought THQ properties. It's not so simple.

Ravi_elite

Banned
You know that THQ Nordic isn't the same company as THQ and doesn't own a bunch of old THQ games, right? Like... Deep Silver, Sega, Take 2, Ubisoft, and other companies bought THQ properties. It's not so simple.
What are you talking about? Yes you are correct..other companies do own the rights to other THQ properties..like Deep Silver owning studio Volition & IP Saints Row....however go do some research before you post blasphemy...Nordic Games - now THQ NORDIC has ownership of a great many THQ blockbuster games that atm they are Infact sitting on....just to name one at the top of my head 'Red Faction'...my point though is THQ Nordic owns quite a few THQ games!

gossi

What are you talking about? Yes you are correct..other companies do own the rights to other THQ properties..like Deep Silver owning studio Volition & IP Saints Row....however go do some research before you post blasphemy...Nordic Games - now THQ NORDIC has ownership of a great many THQ blockbuster games that atm they are Infact sitting on....just to name one at the top of my head 'Red Faction'...my point though is THQ Nordic owns quite a few THQ games!

They might well not have legal rights back to the OG Xbox games (or care).

rmatheso

Picked up a few more OG Xbox games...

Ninja Gaiden Black
The Warriors
D&D Heroes

3 or 4 more and I think my collection is back up to where it should be.

Oemenia

Banned
Why don't MS let all the work be done in the console instead of having to download repackaged versions of games. 360 emulation is a beast of its own so I can see why they need to do it there but the XBOX One can easily emulate the OG.

Seems like a terrible waste of bandwidth as well as the added complication of liscensing.

Thanks for assuming I'm ignorant of the situation. I have a good idea of what THQ Nordic own and don't own. Being a good business aquaintance with Lars Wingefors since the late 90's will do that when we've spoken about it.

EYEL1NER

I started playing Earth Defense Force 2 on Vita two nights ago and now I am really wanting any of the three EDF games that came out on 360 (the exclusive 2017, Insect Armageddon, and 2025) to get added as BC. I didn't play too much of my copy of 2025, so that getting added would be amazing. Probably a longshot for any of the three titles though.

RedSwirl

I imagine everyone is talking about the original Xbox exclusives that might come to Xbox One BC like Ninja Gaiden Black or Panzer Dragoon Orta, but I actually started thinking about the really good multiplatform games from that era that you can't get on PC or current-gen consoles. If I got an Xbox One there are a lot I'd definitely want to buy. EA in particular has a lot of good stuff from that era.

Think about it:

Burnout 3
SSX3
NBA Street Vol. 2
DEF Jam: Fight For NY
TimeSplitters
Spider-Man 2
Medal Arms
BLACK

I have no idea if EA would actually release some of those though due to licensing. What's interesting though is that there are still original Xbox games on the Xbox games marketplace. You can search for them on the browser store and they probably still show up when browsing on an Xbox 360. I imagine those listings will just show up when they become BC with Xbox One. You can still buy Burnout 3 digitally on Xbox for $10 for instance.

mike4001_

With 4 weeks of no new titles the annoucement today must be huge.

I expect 10 titles minimum.

I am also prepared to be dissapointed

Keinning

Even the weekly deals are getting shittier than usual. Four 360 titles only, three of them alien breed versions? Seriously Microsoft?

and then there's that rumour that the GWG for july are kane & lynch 2 and lego: pirates of the caribbean..... shivers

muzzymate

The drought is over!

https://twitter.com/xboxqwik/status/879731003383623680

New BC titles hitting in 60 seconds!

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/879731210796376064 & https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/879731441495674880

Blazing Angels, Cyber Troopers Virtual On OT & Radiant Silvergun are coming to Xbox One Back Compat today

Also, Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood are coming to Xbox One Back Compat today

Top Bottom