• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

EmiPrime

It basically falls into three categories:

1. Games with licensing/legal issues

-Anything with licensed music, cars, brands, clothes, etc. that has expired
-Anything IP related made by a now defunct developer/publisher that wasn't bought by another (THQ)
-Anything that was directly involved in a legal case (Too Human, and I know KoA: Reckoning is still purchasable but adding a new marketplace to buy it from might be a no no)

2. Games made obsolete by another entry

-Sports titles
-HD Remasters/Ports (mainly Capcom at this point)

3. Games that aren't coming for not entirely understood reasons

-Publishers/Developers who, for whatever reason, don't want their games made BC. There's no legal situation holding the games back, just people and their own politics. As of now, I feel Koei Tecmo is a great example of this category. I cant help but feel there are several titles that haven't been made BC and don't have an actual acceptable reason as to why. I understand all the games need testing, but there are some odd omissions even with that accounted for.

Great post, this sums it up perfectly AFAICT.

Out of my collection that's realistic... Armored Core 4 would be nice - I have my real 360 hooked up but I do like it when some old games I recently bought become BC. I bought a bunch of stuff and I remember starting TimeShift and about two weeks later it was BC. At this point I'm really trying to get every 360 game I think I'll want to play, and I'll slowly crossing the list down but the more BC the better.

G0523

Surely today I will hit the jackpot.
Give me Peter Jackson's King Kong!

That actually reminds me: should we expect any Original Xbox games to be backwards compatible and not their Xbox 360 counterparts?

Examples I can think of are Peter Jackson's King Kong, Burnout Revenge, GUN, Ratatouille, Superman Returns, Just Cause 1, Tomb Raider Legend, and Lego Star Wars I & II.

G0523

giphy.gif

That actually reminds me: should we expect any Original Xbox games to be backwards compatible and not their Xbox 360 counterparts?

Examples I can think of are Peter Jackson's King Kong, Burnout Revenge, GUN, Ratatouille, Superman Returns, Just Cause 1, Tomb Raider Legend, and Lego Star Wars I & II.
That's... Actually a good question. I doubt they'll add in the 6th generation crossplat titles into the OG XBox program, but I hope they do. A lot of crossplat titles were sometimes different from their 7th gen counterparts. Would make Xbox a great console platform for game preservation.

Noooooooooooooooooo

I mean, isn't it up to Activision not MS?

I don't there there is really a downside to having it be available.. even if it seems redundant and stupid.

im_dany

I liked COD Ghosts but have it on both platforms. Guess I'll go back and try to go for all achievements in both versions, I only missed a few DLC ones on 360.

Keinning

We all knew Ghosts would come eventually. The thirst for COD doesn't care about silly things like "mostly everyone already got a x1 free version anyway"

It just looks worse because its the single announcement of the day. They should have switched it up with Brotherhood from tuesday

How many CoDs there will be in X1?

Call of Duty 2-3
World at War
Black Ops 1-2-3
Ghosts (360-X1)
Advanced Warfare
Infinite Warfare
Modern Warfare Remastered

Forgetting something?

dLMN8R

It's amazing to see people get so angry at the Xbox team enabling people to not spend money on a game they might already own.

If Activision or Microsoft came out and said "We have an Xbox One version of the game you can buy, so we're intentionally not making your 360 copy backward compatible", I'm sure everyone would be so happy and understanding.

Keinning

It's amazing to see people get so angry at the Xbox team enabling people to not spend money on a game they might already own.

You're missing the point but judging by your second paragraph you're doing it on purpose so eh, no reason to argue about it

Top Bottom