• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

dLMN8R

You're missing the point but judging by your second paragraph you're doing it on purpose so eh, no reason to argue about it

No, I want you to explain to me exactly what you mean, because the only thing I'm doing "on purpose" is saying literally exactly what I mean.

It's astonishing to me that people are complaining about the ability for 360 owners of Call of Duty: Ghosts to play the game they already own on their Xbox One, instead of forcing those people to buy the Xbox One version of the game.

What you're suggesting in your previous post is just as confusing to me:

It just looks worse because its the single announcement of the day. They should have switched it up with Brotherhood from tuesday

After so many complaints across so many pages of this thread where people accuse the Xbox team (without evidence) of deliberately holding back BC releases for marketing purposes, here you're suggesting that the Xbox team do exactly that very thing - basically that they should have delayed the AC: Brotherhood release for the optics of spreading out what some might consider a more "worthwhile" release.

Keinning

No, I want you to explain to me exactly what you mean, because the only thing I'm doing "on purpose" is saying literally exactly what I mean.

It's astonishing to me that people are complaining about the ability for 360 owners of Call of Duty: Ghosts to play the game they already own on their Xbox One, instead of forcing those people to buy the Xbox One version of the game.

What you're suggesting in your previous post is just as confusing to me:

After so many complaints across so many pages of this thread where people accuse the Xbox team (without evidence) of deliberately holding back BC releases for marketing purposes, here you're suggesting that the Xbox team do exactly that very thing - basically that they should have delayed the AC: Brotherhood release for the optics of spreading out what some might consider a more "worthwhile" release.

No one complained when Borderlands and Bioshock became BC despite having X1 versions playable. Call of Duty Ghosts is a very specific case in which the vast majority already had a way to upgrade their 360 version to a X1 one

And i'm sure no one sensible would blame microsoft for "HOLDING" (such a hyperbolic word for this case) Brotherhood for two days and making it a thursday instead of a tuesday annoucement. Stop being so dramatic.

EmiPrime

I see it like Gears remaster including the 360 gears for BC. Why not? More compatible games, the better.

Yep storm in a teacup. I'm bummed that one of my desired games (Vesperia, Fable...) didn't get added but there will be plenty of other people happy with this news. My priority is game preservation but MS need to add the popular games too even if they also have current gen versions.

kuYuri

While Ghosts is questionable due to the existence of the X1 version, at least they are giving you the more important thing, which is options.

Ironically, you get arguably the best console version of Ghosts with the 360 version, if you don't care about graphics that much. Reasons are because Ghosts on 360:

- Has a rock solid framerate across the board. X1 version has some framerate issues, although mostly minor.
- Higher player count due to majority of players having bought Ghosts on 360 back then and likely never bothered to upgrade.

The only thing you lose out on 360 is slightly worse graphics (600p vs 720p, X1 version has better explosions and other alpha effects) and Ground War playlist due to last gen versions being 12 player max versus next gen versions having 18 max.

dLMN8R

No one complained when Borderlands and Bioshock became BC despite having X1 versions playable. Call of Duty Ghosts is a very specific case in which the vast majority already had a way to upgrade their 360 version to a X1 one

And i'm sure no one sensible would blame microsoft for "HOLDING" (such a hyperbolic word for this case) Brotherhood for two days and making it a thursday instead of a tuesday annoucement. Stop being so dramatic.

I'm not being "dramatic" here. I'm being very confused.

I simply do not understand either of these two things:

1) Why are people mad that Ghosts is backward compatible

2) Why do you think Brotherhood should have been delayed from Tuesday to Thursday

Gestault

I'm still dancing from the Radiant Silvergun and Virtual-On OT announcement. As much as it gets a shrug from me, carrying over CoD Ghosts probably means more to more people than my personal top 20 list for BC titles, if I'm keeping things in perspective.

Chris1

Wtf?? I expected people here to be praising Activision for making Ghosts BC

Telling them not to make Ghosts BC is like saying to people "fuck you, buy the game again". That's not right and completely defeats the whole point of BC.

Activision gets my thumbs up for allowing it to happen. I mean it's one thing to be disappointed because the game is hot garbage, but disappointed cause there's an XB1 version? That's just silly.

The vast majority?? I'm going to assume there was a digital upgrade program and that's what you're referring to, digital isn't even a majority now nevermind a vast majority in 2013. Perhaps you meant a tiny minority.

Wtf?? I expected people here to be praising Activision for making Ghosts BC

Telling them not to make Ghosts BC is like saying to people "fuck you, buy the game again". That's not right and completely defeats the whole point of BC.

People complain every time:

- a cross-gen game is made BC (what a waste, it's already on the console!)
- a CoD game is made BC (ugh, can't we get something better than this CoD garbage?)
- a game they don't specifically want is made BC (but what about _____?!)

This is the middle of the three-way Venn diagram for a good chunk of folks.

muzzymate

So does this leave hope for modern warfare going backwards compatable? You know, since they kind of fucked up the remaster and all.

Since Modern Warfare remastered is about to become a standalone $40 product, I would imagine not for awhile until the sales of the remastered version dry up.

Tapejara

So does this leave hope for modern warfare going backwards compatable? You know, since they kind of fucked up the remaster and all.

Since Modern Warfare remastered is about to become a standalone $40 product, I would imagine not for awhile until the sales of the remastered version dry up.

As well, Ghosts was a low point for the series among critics and fans. There probably aren't a lot of people rushing out to buy Ghosts on either platform (though you should, the Extinction mode is a lot of fun!), but if this were Black Ops 3 or Mordern Warfare, I think Activision would be a bit more hesitant to give Microsoft the green light.

FZW

It's amazing to see people get so angry at the Xbox team enabling people to not spend money on a game they might already own.

If Activision or Microsoft came out and said "We have an Xbox One version of the game you can buy, so we're intentionally not making your 360 copy backward compatible", I'm sure everyone would be so happy and understanding.

I dont understand it either. I was ecstatic when the Bioshock games became BC even tho the remasters were already available because I refused to rebuy games I already own. So I see this as an opportunity for those that didn't get the One version to finally get to play it on their console.

MaulerX

I guess this means one less announcement to be disappointed with in the future. Where's fucking Puzzle Fighter?

Yep! I need this really bad. Lol. My wife and I have spent countless hours battling each other in the wee hours of the morning and it's literally the one game she calls out as wanting to play on XBO.

peppers

Agreed, my initial reaction was admittedly a bit shortsighted, but this is really good. I personally want every game possible on the program.

Yep, I'd rather have regular announcements of games I don't care about than nothing at all.

Ghosts had a great SP campaign also, its not like its a garbage dump game.

This. I'm happy they're making games BC again after a long hiatus.

Great! Gotta respect every purchase people made. Plus, you never know if the BC version might add something new to the table like somebody pointed out a few posts earlier.

mike4001_

It's amazing to see people get so angry at the Xbox team enabling people to not spend money on a game they might already own.

If Activision or Microsoft came out and said "We have an Xbox One version of the game you can buy, so we're intentionally not making your 360 copy backward compatible", I'm sure everyone would be so happy and understanding.

Don't understand it either.

I also hope they bring every old EA sports title to the BC programme over time.

I just want every game to work once they are finished (and I know this will not happen) :)

SimonM7

Yep, I'd rather have regular announcements of games I don't care about than nothing at all.

Ghosts had a great SP campaign also, its not like its a garbage dump game.
Wait a minute! So the bad rap the game got was for the multiplayer component? :eek: Because I steered clear of it thinking I wouldn't enjoy the campaign. I've only barely touched mp in CoD, and I think the MW2 campaign is fantastic and alone worth the price of admission.

I for one was not angry that COD:Ghosts is made BC, I was mad at the fact there was only one game announced on Thursday. Bunch of horseshit, I say... I gotta keep reminding myself not to get my hopes up.

FN-2187

I think it's awesome that they are making games like Ghosts BC. It's a super consumer friendly move. Buying a game once needs to be industry standard.

I haven't cared about COD in awhile, but if I got on a COD kick for some reason, it's great that I'd have the option of finding a $5 used copy of the 360 version in an EB bargain bin if I just wanted to give the campaign a try.

MilkyJoe

People throw their toys out the pram at anything these days

21st century truly is the age of the self entitled rant brigade

The way i see it is they are doing something that we are not paying anything more for and 99% of us still have a 360 ot play it on, so if we really must play an old game we can. Just wait it out, it's really no big deal.

Backlogger

Wait a minute! So the bad rap the game got was for the multiplayer component? :eek: Because I steered clear of it thinking I wouldn't enjoy the campaign. I've only barely touched mp in CoD, and I think the MW2 campaign is fantastic and alone worth the price of admission.

I think it was because you can get the game for Xbox One already that some people didn't like it. I don't really know the real reason. People are always mad on the internet

SimonM7

I think it was because you can get the game for Xbox One already that some people didn't like it. I don't really know the real reason. People are always mad on the internet

I don't mean bad rap as in the negativity around the bc announcement, I mean the bad rap the game itself got when it came out. I heard a lot of people say it was the worst CoD by far.

But I don't care about CoD mp, personally, so the only reason I had for skipping the game was that I thought people were dissing the campaign.

gtmax

Any word on the Project Gotham games hitting BC? If they'd patch it and add wheel support I'd never leave the house again.

FN-2187

For racing (and other) games where the issue is the licensed soundtrack rather than the cars or whatever, I wonder if they have considered just taking the music out and releasing it like that. For racing games at least, I am sure I am not alone in regularly turning off the music anyway so that you just hear the car sounds.

rmatheso

Was it me or did they remove the original "Still Alive" intro music from Mirror's Edge? The rights must have lapsed and they replaced the music in the digital version.

im_dany

I think the campaign was really bad but multi and extinction were good.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ghosts campaign is still terrible, but it's saved from being remembered as the worst because Black Ops III's campaign is a crime to the series itself.

Source: I replayed Ghosts yesterday :p

Ghosts campaign is still terrible, but it's saved from being remembered as the worst because Black Ops III's campaign is a crime to the series itself.

Source: I replayed Ghosts yesterday :p

Ghost's campaign wasn't all that bad, at least from I remember. It is somewhat of an entertaining father and son story if you turn your brain off.

But Black Ops 3? Talk about going from having one of the best campaign lines in the series (BO and especially Blops 2) to flat out garbage.

Like I don't even know how you can mess up that badly.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ghost's campaign wasn't all that bad, at least from I remember. It is somewhat of an entertaining father and son story if you turn your brain off.

But Black Ops 3? Talk about going from having one of the best campaign lines in the series (BO and especially Blops 2) to flat out garbage.

Like I don't even know how you can mess up that badly.
I'll give Ghosts credit for... attempting to do the story on family, but I feel like there's something up when you can't even match MW3's mediocre campaign and story.

But Black Ops III? Talk about being up your own ass. I am complete alignment with you. To go from II to III is shocking. What were they thinking?

EvB

For racing (and other) games where the issue is the licensed soundtrack rather than the cars or whatever, I wonder if they have considered just taking the music out and releasing it like that. For racing games at least, I am sure I am not alone in regularly turning off the music anyway so that you just hear the car sounds.
outrun is because of th Ferrari license

I'll give Ghosts credit for... attempting to do the story on family, but I feel like there's something up when you can't even match MW3's mediocre campaign and story.

But Black Ops III? Talk about being up your own ass. I am complete alignment with you. To go from II to III is shocking. What were they thinking?

I'll admit, I found both MW3 and Ghosts forgettable, I just remember enjoying the setpieces a bit more in Ghosts. Either way, I can agree with you there.

And yeah, not sure what happened with Black Ops 3. I could've sworn it was written by the same writer who did the last Black Ops. Did he have writer's block? Did he have to rewrite the script in a month? I mean, it sounds like I'm overreacting here, but when I finished the campaign I was left flabbergasted.

Toa TAK

Banned
David Goyer (yes that one) co-wrote the last two, so that might explain it. Jason Blundell was the main writer for III, which might explain it.

Kacho

I thought Ghosts campaign was great. Good pacing and kept me engaged the whole way through. The ending cliffhanger was interesting as well. Shame we'll never see what happens.

The multiplayer will forever be the worst of the series. Everything just felt off and the killstreaks were so boring.

For all intents and purposes, I do like Goyer's writing
turns out he had a hand in Man of Steel so I don't know about that

I think Blundell should try again, but make sure the narrative makes sense before trying to have an underlying plot line that never really connects to anything.

Toa TAK

Banned
Blundell is now a co-head of Treyarch, so I don't think he'll be writing the next gig.

That said, he should've just been isolated to the zombies story, where it's just as nuts but there's levity and some self-awareness along with characters that are actually fun to be around.

Top Bottom