• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

ihalVTujo2HLS.gif

Mung

Yup. This was inevitable on all fronts. They tried to contain it with game passes for used games but that wasn't enough. I'd expect this is partially why EA dropped so much support for the WiiU. And the PS4 will follow in the footsteps of Xbox One.

I hear this bs all the time. Should the car companies somehow block used car sales? Force everyone to buy new cars!

I imagine there is a CEO from Gamestop reading this at his desk at home while eating a sandwich. When he gets to Phil's statements he softly places his sandwich on it's plate, picks up the phone, waits calmly for someone to answer. When they do he says just three words, "Burn them all."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

So, way higher than $10.

If Sony allows publishers to enforce this on their side as well, there's gonna be a lot of games I will never feel bad to have never played.

Never expected to say this, but the bold new future is making me want to invest in nothing but handhelds.

MechaX

Yikes... I thought the fee would be around what GameStop charges for new used games ($50-55). This... this is even worse than I thought it would be.

And the sad fucking thing is, if MS is delivering info like this all casually, and if EA got rid of their Online Passes, they probably have absolutely nothing to fear from the Sony side of the fence.

squidyj

the "fee" is the FULL price of the game? lolol

well lets be serious though, it's a terrible practice but not because of that fee. That fee is buying the game, full stop. the idea that it should be less than the price of the game to get a new copy of the game is ridiculous.

Whats terrible is that if you want to play the game with your friend your friend needs to own the game on his console. The idea that you cant bring a copy over, play for a bit and take that copy back home with you is insane.

This part intrigues me, specifically because of the mention of Xbox live (instead of just "to play that game"). To me, this sort of implies that the game can be installed and played, just not played via Xbox Live or with any of the Xbox Live features.
Says "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

I read it as they have to purchase the right to play that game through the storefront (XBox Live). Not a native speaker though.

No. Just log in with the account it's tied to.

Like I said, it's the current XBLA system applied to retail games.
Is that confirmed somewhere?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
"offline pass" LMAO!!!
so in the future if I replace my Xbone but Microsoft has shut down the servers, and has moved on to the Xbox Two or whatever, then all my discs will be useless coasters cuz I can't buy the "codes" that I was never going to in the first place. This is as bad as "digital distribution" in my eyes.

This will be a PS4 and Wii U only gen for me :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yikes... I thought the fee would be around what GameStop charges for new used games ($50-55). This... this is even worse than I thought it would be.

And the sad fucking thing is, if MS is delivering info like this all casually, and if EA got rid of their Online Passes, they probably have absolutely nothing to fear from the Sony side of the fence.

If nothing else it explains why they ditched Nintendo the way they did. Jesus...

Xavien

Wat, I was expecting a fee of like $5...

If you're gonna pay the price of the game if its used, then what is the point of buying used...

wait...

I don't see how it isn't. What they're doing is a cash grab, why would they leave such a big loophole?
Well if only one account could ever be online at a time it's not that big of a loophole. Its the way XBLA games work already. Shitty that we're talking about a disc here but, hey.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I don't even really buy used games, but I do like to hop around to my friends' apartments with games and stuff. I've loved my 360, but this kind of anti-consumer attitude kind of blows. Hopefully Sony doesn't do this too.

I imagine there is a CEO from Gamestop reading this at his desk at home while eating a sandwich. When he gets to Phil's statements he softly places his sandwich on it's plate, picks up the phone, waits calmly for someone to answer. When they do he says just three words, "Burn them all."

/Aegon

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm fairly sure they will relax this anti consumer approach before the console comes to market. Or Harrison just doesn't know what he is talking about and made a bad statement. Microsoft is idiotic sometimes, but they aren't this stupid.

And if they are, and Sony does not follow suit with similar policies, then MS deserves the massive trampling they are about to receive by Sony this generation. I mean seriously, do they not know their own userbase?

Welp, here's your chance, Sony. Microsoft has tossed you an easy one. You don't even have to, do anything amazing. Just don't do anything as fucking stupid and you're gold.

I was feeling meh about the console after the press conference, not totally dismissing it.

After this news now? Wow, yeah, good luck Microsoft.

x-Lundz-x

This is worse than I ever imagined. I most certainly will not be buying this at launch. I'll wait for this to blow right up in their faces.

I'm fairly sure they will relax this anti consumer approach before the console comes to market. Or Harrison just doesn't know what he is talking about and made a bad statement. Microsoft is idiotic sometimes, but they aren't this stupid.

And if they are, and Sony does not follow suit with similar policies, then MS deserves the massive trampling they are about to receive by Sony this generation. I mean seriously, do they not know their own userbase?

Thats my guess. I will hold off on getting my torch and pitchfork.

Do you guys think Steam is anti-consumer?

This is the way things have been going for years. I don't get the big deal. Trading in physical media is going to be dead before you know it.

Vorg

Banned
Wow and I thought those Xbox live Gold Family packs were a huge scam. This easily tops that. Microsoft sinking to new lows. Seriously, what the fuck.

Steroyd

Yup. This was inevitable on all fronts. They tried to contain it with game passes for used games but that wasn't enough. I'd expect this is partially why EA dropped so much support for the WiiU. And the PS4 will follow in the footsteps of Xbox One.

Personally I think Sony will have a more "hands off" approach to this, and let the publishers independently decide if they want to take the brunt of the fire.

I can't wrap my head around how this is going to work if MSFT does this unilaterally. Otherwise it will simply be cheaper (sometimes massively so) to get the PS4 version.

Do you guys think Steam is anti-consumer?

This is the way things have been going for years. I don't get the big deal. Trading in physical media is going to be dead before you know it.
Steam gets away with it because I can get like 6 great games for 60 bucks, not happening in the console space.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Welp, here's your chance, Sony. Microsoft has tossed you an easy one. You don't even have to, do anything amazing. Just don't do anything as fucking stupid and you're gold.

If Sony isn't doing it they should come out right now and say so, they couldn't ask for better publicity at this point. We're all pissed at MS and they could come in riding a shining Pegasus to save us all. That they aren't doing so is a little concerning.

SgtCobra

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about the gaming culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over world wide, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public all over the world, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of Microsofts other games. This is HUGE (like Xbox). You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and make those second hand games playable on other people's consoles or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I forgot about the reveal lol. I already figured this was gonna happen, the rumors were just too persistent, So I took the Xbox clean off of my radar. Still, I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised when I did hear news, instead every awful rumor has come true, except for always online; and I bet the Xbox One did have always online as a feature at one point, but it was scrapped after the negative response.

SeanR1221

I thought that at first but it lines up with EA dropping project 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom