• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
That's what I said before, it sounds like if you're used to how a used game works now it'll be exactly the same. If you want to install it and play it without the disc you'll need to pay a fee. There isn't really much to freak out about here. I'm wondering what's stopping someone from installing it on one console and then giving it to a friend to play on theirs.

Installation is required.

Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.

Klocker

that licensing sounds pretty much what I expected... install on one live account at a time so no disc required YEH! but you can sell them as used and they will need to be activated for fee by new user so pubs get a cut of the used game market. similar to how online passes needed to be purchased for most used games the last couple years,

so GS is happy only question it osunds like each disc will be coded so they know if same disc is installed on two machines... which I assume means a full fee will need to be paid as it is two full usable installs.

if it is deactivated on one live account and activated on another it is probably a $10 fee for example much like online pass but now it will even be for SP games and not just MP content

nero2082

britfacials12.gif

it is done, I'm done

No you don't.

THIS SAYS NOTHING ABOUT BLOCKING USED GAMES

This is saying games can install to the system and you will no longer need the disc, meaning you can instantly switch between games you buy. If you want to install it on another console, there is a fee as that naturally means you own the game and can play it whenever.

This thread is kinda insane, there's nothing I'm seeing that says (for now) that you can't just use the disc.

You lack the ability to read the article. Installing the game is compulsory. You have to install it to play. To install, if you aren't the first, you have to pay a fee. What gap is there left to allow for used games?

This blocks used games. MS is just trying to make it sound convoluted so it sounds like a benefit.

People here, on these forums, are game devs, familiar with the console far before launch and often have to hold back information.

This feature was known about, leaked, rumored, and now confirmed.

FinKL

Personally, I don't buy used games at least, I don't recall the last used game I bought it might of been Dead or Alive 4 for 360 near the time of launch.

The thing that upsets me, is that if a friend has a 360, I could bring over whatever game bought/rented and play. This would deter that.

used games generally aren't that much cheaper than new versions, are they? a $10-$20 upgrade fee could put you at the same price as a new copy.

used games sales aren't limited to ebgames/gamestop. people personally resell games on ebay, craigslist, local ad sites, etc..

also this throws borrowing games out the window.

and what does it do for renting games!?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
you can't play from disc.

So the discs are literally just an activation and the system is based on downloading everything? The wording of it saying "given an option to install the disc" makes it not sound mandatory, but it'll be shitty if it is.

You lack the ability to read the article. Installing the game is compulsory. You have to install it to play. To install, if you aren't the first, you have to pay a fee. What gap is there left to allow for used games?

This blocks used games. MS is just trying to make it sound convoluted so it sounds like a benefit.

People here, on these forums, are game devs, familiar with the console far before launch and often have to hold back information.

This feature was known about, leaked, rumored, and now confirmed.

Yeah, reading into the wording more sounds like that. Guessing this will have a huuuuuge harddrive then.

Lucent

So does this mean you can't borrow games from friends? Lend games to friends? Rent games?

This is gonna hurt a lot of people. lol. I was never going to get a new Xbox before a PS4 but this just further cemented that. Holy crap.

And I called the whole reveal.

• Huge focus on multimedia
  • Sports games
  • Forza
  • CoD

Avinexus

I assume this means renting this stuff will be impossible unless places like Gamefly get specific discs that allow you to bypass this stuff.

kablamoman

Neo Member
Gamestop, buy 2 get 1 free used game sale! Buys three games, gets home. Pay used game fee, oh wait... its practically full price...

keyrat

If it can be played without the disc, that means you could pool together people to buy a game at retail price and each person could install it to their box. From there each person pays the used game fee, which I'll assume is less than retail.

Yep, online passes dying was always going to happen when they moved to activation fees/keys.

I don't understand why people are angry, the writing was on the wall when developers started to lock single player content behind online passes.

Why he's laughing? It's coming to PS4. Bank on it.

Sadly, this is the correct answer. And if they did random sales like Steam does...then I'd have no problem with it. But once they lock used games down expect prices to stay right where they are.

I wonder would we even have a "greatest hits" line if it wasn't for used games.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is important to know before we jump from one ship or another, though PC looks like the best bet allround..
PC has blocked used games for years though. Maybe it is more tolerated on PC due to the some cheaper price on the games however, but the concept of blocking used games have been on PC for years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So the misleading title won't change?

You need to let it go. The part of the thread title that says "Offline Pass Confirmed" is clearly true and clears up any ambiguity about the thread title. It blocks used games in the traditional sense of the term, and requires a fee to play them, hence the "offline pass" comment.

hwy_61

Banned
I'm not a real big used game purchaser, but there are times that I will lend a gane to a friend, and vice versa.

This is the dumbest fucking idea MS could've ever thought up.

If Sony does the same, well, shit.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible. The only way this could avoid being a trainwreck (at least in my eyes) is if Microsoft allowed and promoted sales like Steam does, between 50% and 75% off.

Having DRM on consoles is horrible, anyway.

Hahaha, nice knowing you, MS. As if that pathetic reveal conference wasn't enough.

PS4/PC all next gen for me.

Same.

Used game fees is bad enough, but that entire conference just indicated to me that MS is going in a whole different direction. As somebody who hates motion controls and shutters at the word "trending", I want no part of this..... Just give me games. And something other than tired CoD.

Salaadin

Im sure Sony will do this too. Difference is that Sony is "leaving it up to the publisher" whereas MS built it into the console.
Id feel foolish if I thought that there wont be a used game fee on the PS4 as well. Its just that now Sony can say "It wasnt our idea. Theyre only doing it because MS pioneered it".

I don't buy used (most of the stuff my GS sells is scratched, etc.) and usually buy once Amazon drops the price, so this wouldn't affect me.

I can see why the used game crowd would be pissed, though.

Trike

Depending on what the fee is, it could be ok. $20+$10 fee is still better than $60. Better mean no more Online Pass, though.

I don't understand your logic. I mean, yeah, paying $30 is definitely better than paying $60. But why do you need to pay a fee just to play a game you bought? Also, a game never goes for $60 new and $20 used. A lot of the times it is just $10 cheaper anyway. Wonder how much of this fee will actually go to the developers of the game anyway?

This will be exploitable I feel like... Buy a used game for $60.00 -> Install it -> Sell it for $40.00. With that you would 'own a game' for $20.00... The next person down the line who bought the game for $40.00 could pay the nominal fee to be the second user to install that disk and then turn around and sell the game again.

right?

Pezking

So what happens if I get in the mood for retro gaming in 2025 and buy an old XBox One Classic.

Will I even be able to activate and play it?

And what happens if my console breaks in 10 years+?

For someone who collects games and likes to revisit them from time to time many years after release, this whole concept sounds incredibly dangerous...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom