• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
tumblr_m413hfQh1M1qbmy9ko1_r1_500.gif

RDreamer

Have to wonder how much the fee will be. If it's like $10, what's stopping a group of people from buying one copy of a game and then passing the disc around to install?

That's the problem. If it's too cheap this happens. If it's too expensive then no one can ever buy used.

Raven77

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDD

Hype level officially below ZERO

Microsoft and the Xbox brand are dead to me if this actually REALLY is true (I mean, I'm still in shock, not sure if I can believe it).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
*facepalm* dude.
That's just a smart answer.
Of course it doesn't "block" used games. It's not like it eats them.
You just have to pay a fee to play them.

No you don't.

THIS SAYS NOTHING ABOUT BLOCKING USED GAMES

This is saying games can install to the system and you will no longer need the disc, meaning you can instantly switch between games you buy. If you want to install it on another console, there is a fee as that naturally means you own the game and can play it whenever.

This thread is kinda insane, there's nothing I'm seeing that says (for now) that you can't just use the disc.

GulAtiCa

a nominal (~$10) used games fee would keep everyone happy. Only ones to lose out would be some place like Gamestop, that'll just have to discount an additional amount to account for the fee, lest it lose sales.

Anything above $0 is horrible..

ismk

The PC already does this. People who says they will not buy this system for this should deactivate their Steam accounts.

Thing is, Steam users buy games when there are amazing deals. I highly doubt you will see the same deals on One.

Omiee

o fuck off microsoft.

i want to be able to borrow games from friends or buy used games from the bargain bin

yeah not getting this console i guess.

=( probably will for the microsoft exclusives.

It's almost as if all those rumors that have been published about this for months now were...true.

This shouldn't be too shocking. We should be prepared for this.

ferr

Well good thing I don't ever play used games or else I'd be having a hissy fit right now I'm sure. I empathize for the poor college student / etc though, being able to sell my old games was one of the best ways to buy new games back then. Maybe it will mean games can become less expensive if sales are higher -- but nothing will supplant "free" after trading in a couple old games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here's what I don't get--if your console is always offline, how does it know it was pre played?

WarMacheen

You want to kill off used games...fine

Don't make new games 60 fucking dollars, lower that shit to 29.99 and I might go along with it

bananas

Banned
Is this to play a used game, or to install a used game and play without the disc on a second account?

If it's the first, then fuck off, Microsoft. If it's the latter, then whatever. Not a big deal.

Arment

Sony would have to fail harder than Microsoft to make me decide in Microsoft's favor here.

And that just couldn't happen.

Violater

This is the question to ask. If both go this route then there's not really a net loss since we'll all be stuck with the same experience.

Also, in before PC gaming = your only real future next gen.

Hope Sony doesn't follow suit now that Microsoft is leading the way

This is important to know before we jump from one ship or another, though PC looks like the best bet allround..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom