• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

At best it sounds like some sort of scheme with GameStop to possibly renew copies/sell codes with them, but that just means controls out of our hands entirely for sharing/selling games and it ONLY exists to give GameStop and maybe other used retailers money now.

Yeah, screw this.

Green Yoshi

It is standard to block used games since a couple of years (on PC). Would be interesting to see what Sony will be doing.

It doesn't surprise me.

"trade ins and used games" will likely be supported by Gamestop having to pay a fee to get a new code to package with used games.

unbias

Ya, even though I dont buy used games, I definitely will not be picking this up, simply out of principle. This is one of those slippery slope arguments that I have no problem believing in, 100%, the logical fallacy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The whole conference was a fucking farce. From the horrible screaming in the audience (either pre-recorded or some fake idiots) to the presentation itself. Also very disappointed in no Alan Wake 2.

DvilFfz.png

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This place sure is going to get lonely or hostile.

My fellow Xbox One owners are going to need a separate forum!

Kyou

Microsoft doesn't answer wither or not Xbox blocks used games. Thread Title reads: XBOX BLOCKS USED GAMES.

:/

As long as the fee isn't ridiculously expensive (aka another $60) I'm fine with this. $5-$10 and we're good.
Considering the fee is for it to be installed and played without the disk, I highly doubt it is going to be for five or ten dollars

wait so let me get my head round this.

so if I let my friend use his account on my console with my disc he cant play that game without paying a fee????

seriously?

SERIOUSLY?????

Wow they've got some balls to be trying to pull that BS on gamers.

This is just wow... More shocking than how Sony went from their #1 position in PS1 and PS2 to PS3. Books will be written about this.

Game install fees? Total crap...
Installation required...
Who wants to wait for a game to install before playing it? Not me...

I expect there's a feature whereby you can start playing when the install reaches a certain point. I doubt you'll be waiting for the entire game to install before playing.

It's stupid though, they are only offering a 500gb hard drive. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

hao chi

I already wasn't planning on getting MS' next console, but my brother was, and I could see this being a deal breaker for him. I don't think he'll want to pay a fee so his wife can play games on her account.

This is beyond stupid. Should have at least kept the license system from the 360.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So a game is tied to one Live account. What if my girlfriend tries to play the game on her Xbox Live account but it's on the same Xbox, since we live together? Would she have to pay a fee to play the game we bought? If we're trying to play Borderlands 3 splitscreen, would we buy the game and then pay a fee for her to play with me?

KingFire

Banned
This is the question to ask. If both go this route then there's not really a net loss since we'll all be stuck with the same experience.

Also, in before PC gaming = your only real future next gen.

The PC already does this. People who says they will not buy this system for this should deactivate their Steam accounts.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm officially out. I will not reward this type of policy from any company.

But what if a second person simply wanted to put the disc in and play the game without installing – and without paying extra? In other words, what happens to our traditional concept of a “used game”? This is a question for which Microsoft did not yet have an answer, and is surely something that game buyers (as well as renters and lenders) will want to know.

curious to see what comes out of this. If you can still use an inserted disc as verification (like on the current Xbox), then that's actually a good compromise. Otherwise, it sucks, but pretty much what I expected (basically the same as buying steam games at retail)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom