• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One blocks used games. Offline Pass confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flarin

Happy-Kaz_zps88ff71ba.png

Cartman86

Banned
That's not what it says. It says if you install the game it's tied to an account. We don't know for sure if a game not installed can be played. I suspect your interpretation is correct. But we don't know for sure yet. What's important to consider though is if it will be tied to a console and gamertag so whichever console it was purchased or registered on any user on that device can play the games fully offline. This is how current 360 rights works, and I expect the One to do the same thing.

DaBoss

And what of the persistent rumors that Xbox One games will be “always online” – that is, that single-player games would require a constant online connection to function? As it turns out, those rumors were not unfounded, but the reality is not so draconian. Xbox One will give game developers the ability to create games that use Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing service, which means that they might be able to offload certain computing tasks to the cloud rather than process them on the Xbox One hardware itself. This would necessitate the game requiring a connection.

Same excuse SimCity devs used.

OH GOD LAWL

Schnozberry

Thanks Microsoft for making me suddenly feel a lot better about my Wii U Purchase

Nintendo Console/Gaming PC combo for next gen confirmed.

daxgame

Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

no it doesnt

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

add this to op this is straight from ms official website

*facepalm* dude.
That's just a smart answer.
Of course it doesn't "block" used games. It's not like it eats them.
You just have to pay a fee to play them.

muu

Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.

no it doesnt

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

add this to op this is straight from ms official website

a nominal (~$10) used games fee would keep everyone happy. Only ones to lose out would be some place like Gamestop, that'll just have to discount an additional amount to account for the fee, lest it lose sales.

prag16

Banned
The whole conference was a fucking farce. From the horrible screaming in the audience (either pre-recorded or some fake idiots) to the presentation itself. Also very disappointed in no Alan Wake 2.

Yeah, Remedy working on that thing with the creepy live action little girl probably means no Alan Wake 2 for at least a few more years. :(

ultron87

This is the question to ask. If both go this route then there's not really a net loss since we'll all be stuck with the same experience.

Also, in before PC gaming = your only real future next gen.

Yes that glorious platform with no used games at all.

Jawmuncher

I'm out.
You won't be seeing my money with a system like that. .......

Unless you somehow get Resident Evil or Metal Gear as exclusives which I doubt,.

bonesquad

MS will probably give Gamestop a way to reactivate games people trade in, for a fee. So the price you get for used games will probably go down.

bj00rn_

Banned
Did anyone else read the actual article? It clearly says it's only somewhat confirmed for playing the game installed and without the disc. They didn't say anything about playing the game from the disc.

Subxero

This is THE deal breaker for me. I have two boxes and nearly 200 games in the house and my Brother, Sister play (with their GT).

I guess this is why EA dropped their passes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wait so let me get my head round this.

so if I let my friend use his account on my console with my disc he cant play that game without paying a fee????

seriously?

SERIOUSLY?????

THAT IS NOT CONFIRMED

In all seriousness, I expect some sort of friends list lending allowance

curious to see what comes out of this. If you can still use an inserted disc as verification (like on the current Xbox), then that's actually a good compromise. Otherwise, it sucks, but pretty much what I expected (basically the same as buying steam games at retail)

Games have to be installed. They're just trying to make it sound like you have an option.

SRTtoZ

Go fuck yourselves MS. I dont even buy used but I do bring games over my friends house all the time since I buy so many. Now I cant even do that unless I pay a fee on his console?

That conference couldnt have gone any worse.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
a nominal (~$10) used games fee would keep everyone happy. Only ones to lose out would be some place like Gamestop, that'll just have to discount an additional amount to account for the fee, lest it lose sales.

No, it won't.

Seanspeed

Banned
Depending on what the fee is, it could be ok. $20+$10 fee is still better than $60. Better mean no more Online Pass, though.

TheChaos

This makes me question what Sony is doing. They indicated they would not, but why would Microsoft block used games knowing that Sony wouldn't?

We need verification from Tokyo

It's probably because the used games market in Japan is still HUGE and DD is still not really considered a big thing over there.

daveo42

Banned
There goes game sharing with my friends if they want to play something but don't have the cash to buy it. This also hits all those people with Gamefly accounts unless Microsoft cuts some sort of deal to allow them. Universal codes or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom