• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

funcojoe

I'm excited for buying games digitally on day one, no need to go to a store or pay shipping fees, really excited for that and I hope they let us pre load them before midnight as to play at the stroke of midnight.

The sucky part to me is what happens to gamefly? I rent pretty much most games and only purchase the major releases.

eznark

Banned
Playing devil's advocate, because I hate to see the overreaction:

-I can almost guarantee they will work out rental deals with redbox, blockbuster, gamefly, etc. They would be foolish to leave money on the table.

-Put a piece of tape over the kinect sensor if you don't want MS to see you in your underwear. It's not like they'll be recording you on some server. relax.

-24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

-You can still trade a game to a friend. Once it's theirs, who cares what happens to it next. And there will still be avenues to sell your games. Amazon, gamestop, CeX... they'll all be there.

Hahahaha, what a dick.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I think all of the policies they announced are logical extensions of the fact that this is a digital-only console. The "retail" titles, such as they are, are like Steamworks games. It's not a retail+digital console, it's a digital-only console. I mean, imagine if a competitor to Steam popped up that had all of these policies. It'd be fairly standard--in some respect forward-thinking (being able to transfer a game you own to a friend, even once, is better than what Steam has right now; being able to trade in at select retailers is better than what Steam has now for both the retailer and the customer), in other respects a little behind the curve (offline mode being a 24 hour limit) I don't personally have a problem with digital only, I've got 600 games on Steam. And I'm generally a pretty future-proof kind of guy, none of my computers have optical drives anymore. I use Dropbox for everything. I love tablets I'm not someone who typically needs to be encouraged to adopt new tech or who worries about trading off the stability of current options for the cutting edge of new options.

But here are the problems:
1) No one views these policies as an advantage in any digital-only platform. They're a necessary evil. And they're one that's overcome with sweeteners. One sweetener is pricing. In Steam that's manifested in a few ways--frequent and steep sales on the whole catalogue, and the ability for developers to produce unlimited keys for free (and thus for third party resellers to sacrifice margin for volume and offer discounts). Will Xbox One games be $35 to pre-order? Will they drop to $5 within 6 months? I doubt it.

2) Digital-only PC platforms emerged in response to the decline of retail. Retail has not declined for consoles. It's still there. The Xbox One's direct competitors will have retail space. And the direct competitors will not necessarily have these policies. Maybe Microsoft ends up correctly predicting the future and riding the wave in advance, but it seems like Microsoft's competitors are healthy enough that this is too much too soon.

3) There exists no digital-only platform that requires an ongoing membership fee (or that encourages an ongoing membership fee). Ongoing membership fees tend to be for unlimited, all-access type services like Netflix--or even in the more limited form, Playstation Plus, or discount programs like Amazon Prime or Costco membership. It's true that Gold exists today, but today there's a platform that doesn't necessarily need the kind of sweeteners that the One will need.

So, I guess my conclusion is that given that we now know that Xbox One is a digital-only, not digital-first system, the policies are fairly unremarkable and the next question becomes how Microsoft will blunt these inherent limitations of digital-only systems and show advantages.

Great post.

Giolon

Are people really being banned for defending MS's Xbone policies? I mean, I think it's utter bullshit, but I don't really think people should be banned for saying "it's not that bad guys!" if that's how they feel...

So this generally confirms that I won't be able to sell back my games to buy new ones without pub permission (which seems pretty unlikely). That would make gaming on the Xbone much more expensive for me. I certainly hope Sony's position is better, though I have a feeling many big publishers will levy the same controls.

Realistically, I think this whole thing means I'm going to have to stop buying games new and instead wait for sales. I don't like the idea of gaming 3-6 months behind, but I guess it's my best solution in this brave new world.

NeededSleep

I've been sitting at my computer for about 30 minutes now trying to figure out how to explain my feelings towards this. I'm really not good at writing out or properly explaining things a good majority of time.

But honestly i feel at a loss i guess. I really don't like the direction physical media is going. If they want to be digital only so bad, they should just do it, don't punish people who still buy physical. Its just a step down a darker and darker alley that people are letting them be taken into with no going back. Too bad at the end you get the hobo fucking you in every crevice possible.

I think i would of taken this a whole lot better if they ended up saying "The new Xbox has 0 physical media, 100% digital, sorry." I mean id still be a little upset, but not as annoyed as i am now.

I am a sad panda :(

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason why I shouldn't be able to play a single player mode from a physical copy of a game I purchased at retail while offline.

I haven't purchased a single game that prevents this and I'm not about to start now.

Freki

Gemüsepizza;61804784 said:
Uhh wat

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/342784210328776704

benk4skue.png

Not surprising after the pro-corporate BS he has been writing the last days...

ironcreed

Banned
drm4yjrw.png

This. This is what a Microsoft-lead gaming industry looks like.

Yes, execute order 66 indeed. I'll say it again. Take a good look at this list and think back to how we have always enjoyed gaming. The simplicity and joy of it all. Now, step outside of whatever camp you blindly toe the line for and look at this from a perspective outside of that box and from the perspective of that kid you used to be who just wanted to play games. Yeah, no hiding from that truth. I'll just leave you to ponder on it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Presumption, but why else would people who just agree with this with a single sentence would get banned?

EDIT:

Vinny on Giantbomb had a crazy thought:

• Buy game from Gamestop
• Install and verify, unplug internet
• Take back to Gamestop for refund or used price (considering they allow this)
• You now have 24 hours to beat this game before it can never be played again.

You've just effectively gotten yourself a 40 dollar 24 hour rental for a lot of extra effort.

jett

D-Member
Stop.Comparing.This.To.Steam.NOW.

Steam users accept a universal application to run their library for a lot of reasons.

1) No awful DRM. You have to be online to download the game of course but after that feel free to take as much time as you want to play the game online or offline.

2) STEAM SALES! This is probably the biggest point. There is a sale literally ever other day with games 50% off, 60% off or 75% off, then we have the Summer sales, Fall Sales, Spring sales, Halloween sales, Holiday sales where you can find 10-20-30 games 50-75% off on even NEW RELEASES.

Xmen Wolverine Origins is still $30 on XBL! CMON people. This aint the same.

The true reason comparisons to Steam are idiotic is because unlike the console side, the PC retail market is virtually dead.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The prospect of buying a game digitally, then being unable to run it because my internet is out and it needs to re-authenticate itself at some point down the line boggles my mind.

There is no upside to this; its just stupid.

Portugeezer

Bah, not surprised. This just means Sony may hold out for a bit, but these policies will eventually infest the PS4. Not even Sony can deny the big 3 for too long.

That all depends on sales. If PS4 gets a big userbase the "big" publishers would want their games on it, even if it has no online DRM.

EvB

The way I read it only one person from a family can be playing a game from the shared library at a given time. Right now my kids can be playing 1 disc on one console and I can be playing another. And we are free to swap those games between us and play them on different consoles. I can't have the games tied to either a single console or a single account.

I think the phrase "any one of your family members" could be read that way, but I don't believe that to be the case.

man ive been playing video game for more than 20years and now that ms is going this route make me angry now I hope sony doesnt do the same thing :( if not is pc and wii u only baby

sublimit

Banned
Iwata: *Laughs*

But seriously, if Sony does something similar, Nintendo has just been given a golden ticket to save the WiiU. Advertise how the WiiU has no restrictions or online requirements and used games will work and they can capitalize on this.

I'd be very curious to learn what are Nintendo's thoughts about this clusterfuck since May 21.

Jwong has won the ebay auction. Now you must pay me, add me on XBL and wait 30 days for your game...this is stupid. It should be do as you please with your physical copy.

eBay negative feedback to seller:
The seller removed me from his friend list before the 30 day mark. Would not do business again!

Are people really being banned for defending MS's Xbone policies? I mean, I think it's utter bullshit, but I don't really think people should be banned for saying "it's not that bad guys!" if that's how they feel...

I think it goes deeper than that. Something about their posting histories. Some juniors in here have said similar things but are fine.

Flakster99

I'm insulted. Have Microsoft lost their god damned minds?

This is fucking TERRIBLE. With the options we have today as gamers, and there are a metric fuck ton of them that do not fuck over gamers of all types, I can and will absolutely skip this console and hope these types of business decisions never, ever catch on.

So I guess the question for Sony is, do they need the big publishers (most likely EA and Activision) more than the big publishers need them? I would imagine most of the Japanese companies are fine with used games staying the way they are. I'd even imagine Ubisoft being fine that way.

Would EA and Activision be willing to leave money on the table by not supporting the PS4 just because it allows used games? Or does Sony feel like they need EA and Activision more than the good will towards consumers?

So Sony what do you choice?

Shinta

Banned
eXeál;61828616 said:
If I remember well Major Nelson wrote on his twitter that they were thankful for the feedback and were listening... Yea, must have been some music, while skyping someone, while watching an ad, while...

I just wanted to let you know I appreciated this post.

vareon

The letting up to 10 family member play is cool, if it works like how I think it is.

The other bullet points are something that can be done since the dawn of gaming, with an added "publishers can allow...". Certainly not something desirable to give publishers even more control.

eznark

Banned
Stop.Comparing.This.To.Steam.NOW.

Steam users accept a universal application to run their library for a lot of reasons.

1) No awful DRM. You have to be online to download the game of course but after that feel free to take as much time as you want to play the game online or offline.

2) STEAM SALES! This is probably the biggest point. There is a sale literally ever other day with games 50% off, 60% off or 75% off, then we have the Summer sales, Fall Sales, Spring sales, Halloween sales, Holiday sales where you can find 10-20-30 games 50-75% off on even NEW RELEASES. We accept the ability to not trade in our games for the fact that we can buy Farcry 3 for $15 New months ago.

Xmen Wolverine Origins is still $30 on XBL! CMON people. This aint the same.

Edit: Forgot to say, the PC Used game market before Steam was pretty much shit too, unlike the Console used market.

I can also have my games installed on an infinite number of machines.

These terms sound horrible to me. I could never consider buying such a broken console. In fact I believe these terms and requirements are in conflict with many EU laws as well as our national legislation. Perhaps Xbox One will be banned from the EU for such anti-consumer measures.

Also around here you can lend video games from local libraries. A huge selection of PS2, PS3 and X360 are available for free. Xbox One wont be in the future. Thus other alternatives might become more popular with kids.

Doubt it, look at their post history. One of them said Microsoft were the savior of the industry.

-24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

You don't travel much, do you.

-You can still trade a game to a friend. Once it's theirs, who cares what happens to it next. And there will still be avenues to sell your games. Amazon, gamestop, CeX... they'll all be there.
But right now I can just sell the games. I see what I'm losing as a consumer. So what am I gaining?

No game rentals is a no buy for me. There are so many games that, while great, are far too short for me to warrant a purchase. Just recently I rented Bioshock: Infinite and beat it in three days. Why would I pay $60 for that?

I also suspect that the reason some of you aren't entirely pissed off about this is because some of the initial rumors were worse than what we ended up with, so comparatively it doesn't seem as bad. Keep in mind that this is still a colossally abysmal step for the gaming industry, and one that we better fight to keep away from spreading to other companies.

Microsoft basically said fuck you to the over 40% of people that never connected their 360 online with this console. Over 30 million people never connected their 360 online and they make it MANDATORY for it's successor. Brilliant.

-I can almost guarantee they will work out rental deals with redbox, blockbuster, gamefly, etc. They would be foolish to leave money on the table.

-Put a piece of tape over the kinect sensor if you don't want MS to see you in your underwear. It's not like they'll be recording you on some server. relax.

-Sharing all your games among 10 people = amazing. I can see 10 of my gaming friends and I working out a system of who buys what. That's 9 less games we each have to buy. Makes up for the lack of trade-in.

mila-relax.gif

/wave

I can see how some people would be upset but personally, I don't trade in games, borrow or lend out games and I buy my games new. If I can buy everything digitally and no longer need a disc to play I'm happy.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
24h-limited game activation might bring the renaissance of speed-run gaming. :)

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
How reasonable, make sure to post a variant of it every few pages.
S¡mon;61827350 said:
You know, I'm mostly okay with what Microsoft has announced. Obviously, the information is still fresh and I might get some things wrong, but I can see the benefits of this system and I understand why Microsoft has a "be-connected-once-every-24-hours"-rule.

That said, I believe there should be some changes:

- Instead of a once-every-24-hours check, I would have gone for 48 or 72 hours (because there are still lots of unstable internet connections in the world)
- If you want to gift a game to a friend, this friend has to be in your friendlist for 30 or more days. Remove the limit, I'd say.

And most importantly:
- Why not remove the limit that you need to login once every 24 hours, if the actual game disc is inside the Xbox One? It's like an absolute guarantee that someone owns that game at that very moment.

These are just a few things they should change in my opinion, and I'm probably missing something else too (this information is still too fresh). But again, over-all it's not too bad and I can see the benefits.
S¡mon;61816514 said:
I think I am one of the few who, as a person who prefers the PlayStation-brand, is completely satisfied with these answers.

You can sell your games, you can buy used games and the reason why you need to connect once every 24 hours is logical: they need to check if you gifted a game to someone, shared library, etc..

There are only two or three things I would have done differently:

- Instead of a once-every-24-hours check, I would have gone for 48 or 72 hours.
- Why not remove the limit that you need to login once every 24 hours, if the actual game disc is inside the Xbox One? It's like an absolute guarantee that someone owns that game at that very moment.
- If you want to gift a game to a friend, this friend has to be in your friendlist for 30 or more days. Remove the limit, I'd say.

In conclusion, I'm pretty much satisfied except for the three issues above. If Sony would do this, I would be totally okay with that.

Top Bottom