• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not sure what you're saying here. If I'm a "secondary account holder" and I can log on to my account on a different machine, why can't that machine be on the other side of the planet? They're going to need some other explicit limitation about how many people in the family can simultaneously access same/different games on different systems.

The major restriction will probably be only one person can use that game at a time.

Put this together to educate your not so tech savvy friends
drm4yjrw.png

A tad biased, a more balanced view would be.

You cannot:

* Continue to play games offline, unless you connect to the internet once every 24hrs
* Disconnect the Kinect sensor, but you can turn it off
* Lend games at launch, but you will eventually be able to do this with friends and family
* Rent games at launch, but we're looking into a solution for this
* Sell or trade games at any store, only pre-approved retailers (chain or independent) are permitted
* Sell games to individuals, unless they've been on your friends list for more than 30 days

To be honest out of the above, only the renting and selling to individuals issues bug me. Unfortunately the non-renting may prevent me buying an Xbox One.

The Lamp

3 friends =/= mass market.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of people without a broadband connection. Can't wait for this to blow up and hit the news.

Well I don't believe that my 3 friends represented the mass market in reality as a whole, I just happen to think that the mass market won't care and anecdotally mentioned my friends.

Microsoft doesn't consider the customers without internet as part of their pie anymore. They are not profitable to the new business model they are pursuing, with increased profits from their DRM and premium cloud network (that they will surely charge you money for) and their happy relations with publishers.

Microsoft's message is loud and clear: "We don't need nor care about the consumer without internet."

Think about it. I'm sure their most profitable ventures in Xbox come from digital sales and XBL memberships. They don't care to lose the amount that didn't have internet when there is so much more, in their minds, to be gained by chasing a new business model.

This kind of thing is not uncommon. Progressive Insurance, for example, turns away customers they don't want (i.e. are not as profitable) by telling them "hey, your rates will be lower if you go to insurance company A or B instead". Companies turn away undesirable customer markets all the time.

That seems to be what's happening.

Thorakai

It's fucking sad that less than a week from E3 we have to spend more time worrying about how much our consumer rights are being trampled on and less time getting excited about video games.

Playing devil's advocate, because I hate to see the overreaction:

-I can almost guarantee they will work out rental deals with redbox, blockbuster, gamefly, etc. They would be foolish to leave money on the table.

-Put a piece of tape over the kinect sensor if you don't want MS to see you in your underwear. It's not like they'll be recording you on some server. relax.

-24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

-You can still trade a game to a friend. Once it's theirs, who cares what happens to it next. And there will still be avenues to sell your games. Amazon, gamestop, CeX... they'll all be there.

-Sharing all your games among 10 people = amazing. I can see 10 of my gaming friends and I working out a system of who buys what. That's 9 less games we each have to buy. Makes up for the lack of trade-in.

mila-relax.gif

Best Post Ever.

Soler

Banned
Sorry don't work for MS. I don't support it, but the publishers will. I say it again Sony can say we don't have any DRM restrictions but the publishers can choice what restrictions they want. What do you think will happen then? I don't give me the question but if Sony say, we don't allow any DRM restrictions at all. No, we are all sitting in the same boat.

publishers aren't going to not release a game because it doesn't have DRM
they would lose more profit than the DRM would supposedly lead to

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is like watching the biggest train wreck in history.

I can't stop looking. And just before E3, too. How the hell is Microsoft gonna get out of that hole!?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's fucking sad that less than a week from E3 we have to spend more time worrying about how much our consumer rights are being trampled on and less time getting excited about video games.

Don't worry, MS invested 1 billion in games, you'll forget about this in no time!

(SARCASM)

Alchemy

Stop.Comparing.This.To.Steam.NOW.

Steam users accept a universal application to run their library for a lot of reasons.

1) No awful DRM. You have to be online to download the game of course but after that feel free to take as much time as you want to play the game online or offline.

2) STEAM SALES! This is probably the biggest point. There is a sale literally ever other day with games 50% off, 60% off or 75% off, then we have the Summer sales, Fall Sales, Spring sales, Halloween sales, Holiday sales where you can find 10-20-30 games 50-75% off on even NEW RELEASES. We accept the ability to not trade in our games for the fact that we can buy Farcry 3 for $15 New months ago.

Xmen Wolverine Origins is still $30 on XBL! CMON people. This aint the same.

Edit: Forgot to say, the PC Used game market before Steam was pretty much shit too, unlike the Console used market.

The biggest thing is that Steam isn't the only way to buy PC games. PCs are an open market, if Steam starts up the bullshit people can migrate their business to somewhere else. The Xbone is completely closed to competition, M,icrosoft runs the show. Steam has sales because of competition, not because it solely exists online.

SRTtoZ

Are people really being banned for defending MS's Xbone policies? I mean, I think it's utter bullshit, but I don't really think people should be banned for saying "it's not that bad guys!" if that's how they feel...

Its more than that. The mods have been keeping eyes on these people before all this. If you check out their post history its AGENDA driven bullshit. Its one thing to have an opinion on a certain matter, its another to blindly defend them in every single post regardless of whats being said.

Where are all the people who were supporting this crap because it meant the big bad boogeyman called Gamestop would get undercut? From the sounds of it, this plan pretty much stamps out what little competition they had.

24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

Well, over 2 of my last 5 years were spent in Afghanistan where I didn't have Internet. You know what there is to do in Afghanistan when you're not getting blown up or taking a shit? Play video games.

Raxus

Playing devil's advocate, because I hate to see the overreaction:

-I can almost guarantee they will work out rental deals with redbox, blockbuster, gamefly, etc. They would be foolish to leave money on the table.

-24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

-You can still trade a game to a friend. Once it's theirs, who cares what happens to it next. And there will still be avenues to sell your games. Amazon, gamestop, CeX... they'll all be there.

-Sharing all your games among 10 people = amazing. I can see 10 of my gaming friends and I working out a system of who buys what. That's 9 less games we each have to buy. Makes up for the lack of trade-in.

mila-relax.gif

Edited and answered in order

-Doubtful.

-I take my xbox on vacation all the time. At night I hook it up and play it before hitting the hay. Can't do that anymore. As I said before there are troops overseas who don't have a stable internet connection. That means no Xbone. 31 million consumers never hook up their consoles. They just threw away 31 million sales.

-I let my friends borrow games all the time. Now I can only give it away and once it is gone I have to repurchase the game if I still want to play. I just wanted my friend to try a new game!

-Same IP address most likely. So unless all your friends live in the same house you will have find another exploit.

Sargex

Neo Member
You don't travel much, do you.

All the time. Never took my xbox with me. 3DS, laptop, deck of cards, pen and paper, and the list goes on. Who travels with their xbox unless it's a tournament of some kind or lan party? And in that case there would be internet anyway.

So if I am reading this correctly. It is possible for my friend and I to create a "family" account and simply split the cost of a 60 dollar game.

That actually might not be so bad. However besides that, I'm not liking the other stuff (24 hour login,etc)

The prospect of buying a game digitally, then being unable to run it because my internet is out and it needs to re-authenticate itself at some point down the line boggles my mind.

There is no upside to this; its just stupid.

No offense, but there have been many many times that ive considered you to be one of the biggest corporate shills on this board that im aware of. For you to think this is stupid speaks volumes.

(I don't think that anymore, I don't agree with you but I accept that you a developer that is frustrated that others profit off your work more than you do, which is understandable.)

At least we can agree this is not the answer.

I was excited/curious to see what Microsoft had in store for E3, but I just don't give a fuck anymore. They could announce Shenmue 3 and a new 2D IGAvania, and I would still tell them to get fucked.

It's baffling the video game industry can't understand they won't improve their revenue by adding even more constraints and money traps every day. They're just killing their own business on the long run by making it less user friendly...

it's a pretty prevalent model: gouge today, & worry about tomorrow tomorrow...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Microsoft basically said fuck you to the over 40% of people that never connected their 360 online with this console. Over 30 million people never connected their 360 online and they make it MANDATORY for it's successor. Brilliant.

Let's see if Sony has the same restrictions. If so, the publishers have really made a big gamble with this next gen. Not saying that the gamble won't pay off, but it is a gamble.

harSon

Banned
I'm really surprised Microsoft stuck with the 24 hour thing. They better hope a significant amount of the people with 360s are currently unconnected by choice and not because they lack reliable Internet. It doesn't effect me, but its a pretty freaking retarded business move IMO.

larvi

I think the phrase "any one of your family members" could be read that way, but I don't believe that to be the case.

I'm pretty sure it does, they were very explicit to say "any one" instead of anyone. So any 1 person can be accessing your shared libary at a given time. It's pretty clear to me from what they stated that simultaneous access to the shared library from multiple consoles won't be permitted.

meppi

Over 70% of Xbox 360 owners use Live. What's wrong with "24 hour check-in"?

What is the problem with this?
Everything!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is like watching the biggest train wreck in history.

I can't stop looking. And just before E3, too. How the hell is Microsoft gonna get out of that hole!?

Their first party games will probably be completely open because they don't want to be the bad guys.

Audioboxer

This actually feels like a horrible nightmare having all of this actually confirmed. I seriously hope one week will not flush the whole industry into a shit pit.

Morthas

Neo Member
In conclusion, the Xbox One should be called the Xbox Can't or Xbox Zero. It is the most anti-consumer console ever produced.

I would never buy a console that limits me so much. And the limitations don't make any sense. It's just DRM > customers. And if a producer choses that path, consumers should look at other products.

These confusions and many statements are absolutely wanted. Because it lets some people hope, other people don't care and some people wouldn't believe it.

I can only say: Do not support companies that want to dicate to you the way and the time you play your games.

DoomGyver

What I want to know is if you go to a retailer and purchase an Xbone title, are you prompted with the EULA and have to agree before you purchase the license?

Gorillaz

Going off of what Dreams said, it's a pain in the ass that it needs 24 hour check in. Especially for people like me that travel to the middle of the country to visit the fam. All jokes earlier aside that is my breaking point

Phil4000

Wasn't it also confirmed that the camera needs to be connected, and it also has a microphone that can pick up voices in the room it is placed in. Jeez this sounds like a privacy nightmare.

jay

Isn't the nature of Steam also that it is extremely likely to continue to work for many years? With PSN and Live stuff not working on the new consoles, I'd need some really convincing proof that whatever I bought this coming gen would permanently be transferable forward.

Also, GOG is better than Steam. NO DRM 4LYF

People defending the online connection are forgetting about the soldiers overseas and rural areas who can't access the cloud or are limited.

I mean, I have to use Hughesnet which has a daily limit. Not to mention is satellite.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
About what I expected.

Some of the sharing stuff across multiple consoles is nice since you don't have to actually take the game to a friends house.

Won't massively impact me, I'll probably go all digital this gen anyway.

Though, the PS2 news today might mean I get a PS4 as well. I like that game, my laptop struggles with it.

Top Bottom