• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Elite Controller Vidoc

wonzo

Banned
will buy, hoping sony follow suit so i dont have to use a controller that feels like it was put together with a glustick

This was one of MS best announcements (apart from the price), wish Sony would do something like this. The DS4 is good but it could do with some tweaks and improved component quality.

will buy, hoping sony follow suit so i dont have to use a controller that feels like it was put together with a glustick

The only really awful part about the PS4 controller is that, for me at least, it seems like the 'stick' portion of the analog stick wears down faster than any other controller I've used since PS2.

Prine

Banned
Curious how people can preorder this without reviews?

X1 pad is the best pad out there imo, this is a premium controller from the same team, they've already garnered a lot of good will from me. Controller Type S, X360 then X1. Best pads around for those generations.

There are some reviews are out there (that are positive) but id be surprised if it isnt going to blow people away.

This was one of MS best announcements (apart from the price), wish Sony would do something like this. The DS4 is good but it could do with some tweaks and improved component quality.

I'd say the backwards compatability was the biggest, but this one is outstanding.

I am seriously impressed that they are dedicated to bring this product to market with steel parts too! Away with shitty plastic.

The Steam Controller sounds amazing, and I hear the build quality is good, but I've also heard it feels cheap even though it isn't due to its plastic construction and the finish they use.

Right now I use a Steelseries Sensei mouse, and it's fantastic due to the metallic surface. I've had rubberized controllers and mice before and the sweat from your hands, or grease or dirt, it sinks into the rubber and is almost impossible to get off. I have some Logitech mice which are just fucked.

Oddly enough this is the thing I am most excited about from E3. Most of the games which were announced/shown off will just be played for a short period of time. This controller is something I will use for years (hopefully, if it is as good as advertised). I seriously can't wait! Think I might preorder it.

Maximo

Useless to me if the d-pad is not superb, and the d-pad on the regular XB1 controller is the opposite of superb :x This is honestly a very, very tough sell unless I can try it. MS just doesn't get d-pads.

Yeah this is why I haven't jumped ship, if the Dpad is garbage then there is no point for me. Buy a Controller to play a majority of games that NEED a good Dpad otherwise I like a Mouse and Keyboard better for everything else.

It's a shame that MS goofed so badly with the Xbox One hardware etc, resulting in a dwindled marketshare and the big shooters alligning with Sony. This controller would have done so much better, maybe leading to it being a standard feature.

Not that it still isn't great of course.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
No, because then it would be in the wrong place, and that would be silly!

do you have asymmeterical hands?

guys lets not go down this path.
Everyone has personal preferences, and mine is symmetrical as ive been a playstation gamer primarily ever since the ps1.

i also own a x1 and i just wanted to know if its possible. its not and thats too bad, but well.

but i wont pay 150 for it then. beeing able to play how i like would have made me buy it.

do you have asymmeterical hands?

No. However I do use each analogue stick differently.

The left almost always has permanent pressure applied in any one direction, meaning that a relaxed as possible thumb position is the best ergonomically for prolonged use.

The right stick is used far less and is mostly used for short twitch based movements like camera correction. Sometimes it isn't used at all.

Xbox gets it right. And that's the end of this little controllers war. Let's talk about the pad, not Sony or anyone / thing else.

mclem

I'd like to try this, but I suspect it's overengineered as far as my purposes are concerned. I suspect it'll be great for the more competitive gamers, though.

No. However I do use each analogue stick differently.

The left almost always has permanent pressure applied in any one direction, meaning that a relaxed as possible thumb position is the best ergonomically for prolonged use.

The right stick is used far less and is mostly used for short twitch based movements like camera correction. Sometimes it isn't used at all.

Xbox gets it right. And that's the end of this little controllers war. Let's talk about the pad, not Sony or anyone / thing else.
Keep in mind you're trying to make this point in reference to a controller meant to enable you to never have to take your thumb off the right stick. If anything, Wii U Pro Controller-type stick position is the way to go :p

Lulu23

Keep in mind you're trying to make this point in reference to a controller meant to enable you to never have to take your thumb off the right stick. If anything, Wii U Pro Controller-type stick position is the way to go :p

Yeah, something like that would make people like me, who are used to symmetrical thumbsticks from playing on PlayStation, consider getting an X1 more.

(Just so you wouldn't have to adjust every time you play on the other console.)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i like the idea of having two settings savable and instantly switchable. might be nice to have a vastly different analogue setting for sniping versus regular play in halo 5. pick up the sniper? just slide the setting to position 2 and snipe away.

ElNino

Well, you don't have put any money down to pre-order and you can always cancel or return if you decide it's not for you.

The only risk is if you decide you want one later and they don't have enough to cover demand.

Heh as someone who drops his controller a lot this controller would mark the first time I would be worried about the thing it fell on rather than the controller itself. Just need to find $150 somewhere.

op_ivy

I feel silly spending so much on a controller, but I need this in my life.

i'll go through 2-3 controllers in a typical generation. if this lasts as long as it should, it might not end up costing a ton more. plus, it has HUGE benefits to the games i like to play.

thenameDS

Got my pre-order on Amazon. Feel a little silly paying this much for a controller but it just looks so damn good and those paddles will be perfect for me.

Definitely have to think twice about raging with it in my hands.

Well, a lot (A LOT) of people got hands on with these controllers at E3 (myself included). I think the hands-on praise has been pretty universal (not so much with the price.. but same as it ever was..).

The controller is unbelievably solid, I played Halo MCC & Forza and both were great experiences. Getting used to using the paddles will take some time for sure though.

I'm on the fence for ordering one though, just because of the price. I can see it being 'worth' the $150 due to construction & materials.. I just don't know if I really 'need' it.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
It's expensive but I'd put it in the same bracket as a good arcade stick. Like others, I'd need to personally try the dpad was before I'd ever considering getting one.

what are those hair trigger locks?
can someone explain?

The triggers have less travel so you can press them faster.

Did the wireless adaptor for the XB1 controller ever actually come out?

Is that needed in order to use this wirelessly as well?

can someone explain?

it lowers the amount of trigger pull it takes to get a full reaction from the switch.

also because its a hard lock inside the controller it bounces back off of it pretty nice.

this is what they said in the vidoc anyways.

op_ivy

can someone explain?

they make it so the bumpers only get depressed a bit. should come in handy with some shooters. as an example, when i play a shooter with a rapid fire single shot gun, sometimes i don't let the trigger fully extend back before depressing again, which doesnt register as a second squeeze. this should fix that and allow you to fire much more rapidly

JaggedSac

Clunky as hell. If you're playing a demanding game the whole system chugs... You can be stuck waiting for the game DVR to load for minutes. Other times you'll accidentally press it too many times because of said lag and it'll bring you back to the home screen. Which is hardly ideal while playing multiplayer games or whatever.

Would have been the perfect time to just put an extra button somewhere. Or allow us to map the capture buttons to the paddles underneath.

I just say "xbox screenshot", or "xbox record that" ;)

Soon I will say, "Hey Cortana, record the last 2 minutes 50 seconds and upload to onedrive when this match is over"

Top Bottom