• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Elite Controller Vidoc

Are the longer sticks better suited for your movement stick or your aiming stick? I imagine it'd be the latter, because it gives you more range to move it around and get finer control. I've never played with any sort of modded controller before.

sangreal

That sounds cool can you post a pic of the gears dpad attachment?

Eurogamer has a picture of it here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...softs-ridiculous-usd149-elite-xbox-controller

There was a Forza one too

qRfd944l.jpg

Sinister

Neo Member
You gotta give it to MS, they know how to make a damn controller. 150 bills is a lot for a controller, especially for a causal gamer like me, but I want one.

MIMF

I love this controller and I really look forward the new D-pad to be much better for fighting games than the actual one. Also the paddles for driving games can be terrific for gears switching without having to release the triggers.

The only thing that really pisses me off is that despite its high price and its elite showcase, it still does not include a rechargeable battery and you have to buy it apart, so we are talking of another extra 25$ to add to the sum.

bedlamite

The only thing that really pisses me off is that despite its high price and its elite showcase, it still does not include a rechargeable battery and you have to buy it apart, so we are talking of another extra 25$ to add to the sum.
You don't own any rechargeables? Like, none? Nothing else in your house uses double As?

The Flash

Banned
I love this controller and I really look forward the new D-pad to be much better for fighting games than the actual one. Also the paddles for driving games can be terrific for gears switching without having to release the triggers.

I can only assume that they're banking on the fact that the majority of people who would be buying this already have a play and charge kit or some rechargeable batteries. It should come with a charge pack in a perfect world but again most people who will be buying this probably already have one.

MIMF

You don't own any rechargeables? Like, none? Nothing else in your house uses double As?

I use a play and charge actually, but for me the real reason behind not using AA batteries is the 20 grams of weight that are saved by using the play and charge instead.

I really like light controllers, to the point that I have physically removed from the controller the main rumbles to cut another 40 grams of weight. I hope this new controller is not too much heavier because of the steel parts.

Yaari

What's the intended purpose for the dpad alternative? Is the idea with that, for fighting games? I could see a Mortal Kombat game being much more comfortable doing these 6 to 3 o'clock movements.

I use a play and charge actually, but for me the real reason behind not using AA batteries is the 20 grams of weight that are saved by using the play and charge instead.

I really like light controllers, to the point that I have physically removed from the controller the main rumbles to cut another 40 grams of weight. I hope this new controller is not too much heavier because of the steel parts.

If weight is such a big deal to you that you're removing actual functionality of the controller and can tell the weight difference between batteries and a charge pack, this might not be the controller for you. They're practically touting it's extra weight as a feature.

ElNino

I find most controllers too light (PS4, Wii U Pro, etc) so I appreciate the extra weight. If you want a lighter controller, then I don't know if the Elite is for you.

JaggedSac

Really want one, but $150. It look like the price is justify but either way is a lot of money.

It isn't much but you can quickly get a 5% off coupon with their Bing rewards crap.

How does this ''d-pad'' even work? Seems extremely unintuitive for pretty much anything that requires a d-pad.

It comes with a regular d-pad too, just use that one if you don't like the rounded one.

Too rich for my blood. Bring it down to $90.00 and were talking. For $150 i could buy one hell of a retro fighting stick for lots of old school retro systems I spend time with.

But still I love the analogs and metal clips that go on the back of the elite pad. I can see myself using those clips on the back of the pad for seemless manual transmission gear shifting in Forza 6. Just bring that price down some first.

(Edit) oh shit, like the guy said a few posts above Bing Rewards. Not a bad idea. Can easily knock off $30-50 bucks by saving up points and cashing them in. Hmmm.

Kinsella

Banned
I want to understand how the rounded one works, do you know?

It's just a rocker. It makes movements from one direction to the direction immediately to the right or left of it easier. For fighting games mainly. I don't know of many other games that require that kind of movement on the dpad, but if they do this would work for them as well.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
There's a reason why they made that rounded addon for the dpad. Much better precision.

I don't expect MS to have engineered that thing as some afterthought, considering what they did with that apparent masterpiece of a controller.

The Flash

Banned
I don't know of many other games that require that kind of movement on the dpad, but if they do this would work for them as well.

Hotkeys in Fallout. It would make it just a little bit easier to select whatever weapon or item assigned to the diagonal slots.

I listened to Majors podcast, and scanned this thread but I didn't see... Can I completely eliminate stick jabs by mapping them to paddles? That would make marathon sessions so much more comfortable. I do wonder, would having to hold a paddle to run be equally cumbersome?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So listening to Major Nelson's podcast, they've doubled the functionality of the sync button. But they fucked up.

I assumed double tapping the sync button would take a screenshot. Nope. Locks the buttons from accidental presses when you put it down.

Smh.

Controller looks really cool but come on with thr giant hardshell case and 10 inches of foam surrounding a fucking D pad. They should actually ship them in something so safe.

Leyasu

Banned
I listened to Majors podcast, and scanned this thread but I didn't see... Can I completely eliminate stick jabs by mapping them to paddles? That would make marathon sessions so much more comfortable. I do wonder, would having to hold a paddle to run be equally cumbersome?

I intend to map sprint to a paddle in halo 5 plus I am thinking of trying mêlée on a paddle as well. Man I want this controller.

Top Bottom