• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exclusive D4 is selling like complete shit, please help me #SaveD4

zychi

Banned
this is the kinect game that lets you use a controller right? and you move the joystick to move a "mouse hand" all over?

looked really meh.

Had this come out on PS4 or PC I would have definitely bought it, finished it, and would be feeling depressed over its sales right now.
I never expected this to find an audience on the XBone of all places, though. What a waste.
I don't understand, you would only feel bad for its sales if it was on a different platform?

VRMN

Shovel Knight got an enormous amount of coverage leading up to its release. It had a set date, pre-orders in place, and twitch streamers providing early level casts. There was nothing from D4, you couldn't even stream the game from the XB1. There was no build up from anybody. It was just released on some random Friday with only a day of notice.

Shovel Knight was Kickstarter, IIRC, which amounted for basically all of that. And I'm not saying the game had a lot of money poured into marketing, but these games rarely get a trailer shown as more than a part of a montage at E3, let alone time at multiple conferences.

This is ultimately less of a D4 thing and more that Microsoft has been poor about advertising digital-only games on Xbox for a long time. For Microsoft, this got a lot. But people not tuned into Xbox media channels (like the trailer they put up on their YouTube channel or the featured spot it got on the dashboard) would easily miss it.

I hope piewdie whatever the fuck his name is plays this game. This is another, way cheaper way for it to garuntee some sales (or not since his fans only want to watch I'm guessing lol)

Not every FPS is successful.
No, but the potential market for a FPS game is much bigger than a game like D4.

It's fine that some people like D4, but after seeing a demo of the game, it doesn't surprise me one bit that it has troubling sales. To me the game looks not just bad, but comically bad. I'd only try out D4 if it were offered for free, and even then I'd do so to laugh at the game, not with it. That is of course just my own personal opinion. I'm sure there are people who honestly enjoy D4. All I'm saying is that those people are a very small minority of the gaming population.

I am a pretty discerning guy.

D4 is legit. If you have an Xbox One and aren't giving it a try, you're not using that system to its proper capabilities.

I was going to buy it much sooner, but then I made some other payments which put it off a bit. That said, I can't bear to see what's in the OP, so I literally just bought it a couple a minutes ago.

Look forward to getting started when I get some time. :)

Duxxy3

Shovel Knight was Kickstarter, IIRC, which amounted for basically all of that. And I'm not saying the game had a lot of money poured into marketing, but these games rarely get a trailer shown as more than a part of a montage at E3, let alone time at multiple conferences.

This is ultimately less of a D4 thing and more that Microsoft has been poor about advertising digital-only games on Xbox for a long time. For Microsoft, this got a lot. But people not tuned into Xbox media channels (like the trailer they put up on their YouTube channel or the featured spot it got on the dashboard) would easily miss it.

The release just came out of the blue. I didn't even know the game was coming out this year until they announced it the day before. They pulled a sega saturn and expected different results.

It didn't need commercials or anything like that - just give it a date, with at least a month leading up to it. Give people a chance to get excited about it its release. This isn't a failure of a game, it's a complete failure of a release plan. There wasn't one.

I hope piewdie whatever the fuck his name is plays this game. This is another, way cheaper way for it to garuntee some sales (or not since his fans only want to watch I'm guessing lol)

I've bought multiple games over the last couple of years because my favorite streamers were playing it. I don't watch television much anymore, but I do watch twitch.

My theory is D4 was a Kinect showpiece in the Mattrick-era, Spencer probably wanted nothing to do with it but couldn't justify canning it with the game close to completion, so he sat on it and figured releasing it around TGS is the best time to do it while expending no money or effort to let people know about it.

You don't release a game in this fashion unless you just didn't want it to exist.

I've bought multiple games over the last couple of years because my favorite streamers were playing it. I don't watch television much anymore, but I do watch twitch.

Another good point: because of the dumb stealth launch, Twitch had no listing for D4. Because there was no listing, for the first four to five days after release, the game could not be streamed from the Xbox One, it would just produce an error as the Twitch app had no idea what to do.

This meant a lot of people (like me) who would have happily streamed the game and gotten people interested in it couldn't do it. They just played the game for themselves.

Bry0

GT bryo4321

If you still are doing it op, I'll get it right now. Game looked kinda cool but I need a nudge. I'm starting to feel bad for swery. :(

Dlacy13g

If ever a game needed a demo or trial....this game is it. Swery has the ability to make a trial for the game per Phil. He said sometime around June that the update/sdk would enable all devs moving forward could create a trial. I say get a demo out ASAP or the game is gonna die

I don't own an Xbone, is there a way for me to buy D4 to support it? I watched the first 25 minutes or so of gameplay and loved what I saw. I'd love for SWERY to get to continue it.

Steel

Banned
I'll pick the game up when I get an Xbox one later this year. Shame it was sent out to die, seems like a pretty interesting concept.

DVCY201

Very sad to hear. SWERY and Yoko Taro seem to be in very similar situations. Props to you for putting your money where your mouth is! I'll get D4 when I get an Xbox One, but I can't say that it'll be any time soon.

AtmaVegeta

Neo Member
Bought it day 1.

Sadly haven't got around to actually playing it yet. Seems like a game I'll need to really sit down and pay attention too and hard with crazy kids running around all the time. :)

I don't own an Xbone, is there a way for me to buy D4 to support it? I watched the first 25 minutes or so of gameplay and loved what I saw. I'd love for SWERY to get to continue it.

So long as you have a Microsoft account you can still purchase it through the xbox store. You'll be able to play it whenever you do get an Xbox One (if you intend to that is), or sign your account into another one.

Microsoft clearly has a storefront on the web where you can buy stuff, no?

/beaten like a dead horse.

maybe get a friend to buy it and then play it on their console.

So long as you have a Microsoft account you can still purchase it through the xbox store. You'll be able to play it whenever you do get an Xbox One, or sign your account into another one.

I think you can make an Xbox Live account on xbox.com and buy it from there.

Microsoft clearly has a storefront on the web where you can buy stuff, no?
Appreciated! Hopefully I get ahold of a Xbone in some fashion to actually play it as well :)

Top Bottom