• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Halo MCC white console bundle coming to US

It's a little bit odd that they're pumping out so many different bundles.
Anyone else feel like they're getting rid of stock for a new model?

I do feel they are clearing stock for a new model, although I'm not quite sure where making more white consoles fits into that. I think they are doing it hopefully (from their perspective) push them over the line for another NPD win, however small.

1TB + new controller, existing models going to $299 for clear out

how large is the digital downloads for MCC? My launch X1 is like 85% full. Might have to invest in a 2TB hard drive.

60.5gb, with a new H2A map to come and ODST, new update this month as well (ODST only free for people before a certain time but if you want to buy it I suspect it'll be 10gb+

B4s5C

Received a shipping update from Gamestop. On its way but won't be here until Tuesday, May 26th. Selected 2-day shipping but getting it 6 days later....

C-Sword

How do we canadians buy this without overpaying? I want a white one, but the Sunset Overdrive bundle is long gone here.

prateeko

Yes just with halo:MCC instead

I'm curious to see if either will be preferred by the collecting community long term - would be a reflection of how the two titles are regarded long term by gamers I suppose. Shame neither console had anything in addition to the different color (i.e. like the MW console).

The SO one sold out very early and legitimately didn't come back, so I'd expect the same type of deal with this--once it's gone, it's gone.

Well to be fair, it did come back kinda. I mean the SO one didn't have any special SO branding, so it was essentially just a white XB1 in a SO box. Take away the box and they're identical. Hell, people don't even seem to realize that the white employee one with 'I Made This, Launch Team 2013' on the front is any different. They always just respond, "So it's just a white Xbox then?". I think the SO bundle at $449 was a better deal (at the time) than this, simply due to the state that Halo:MCC has been in for so long. It's a lot better now, but it still isn't fully fixed and likely never will be. I can't stand the game crashing in online co-op, which was the main reason I wanted it, so I just don't bother playing it anymore.

This one just seems like a last-ditch effort to move copies of MCC, even if digitally, to bolster its numbers. They know the white consoles are desired, and they can't feasibly make a Halo branded console itself for MCC since you just know there will be one for Halo 5.

Chobel

I do feel they are clearing stock for a new model, although I'm not quite sure where making more white consoles fits into that. I think they are doing it hopefully (from their perspective) push them over the line for another NPD win, however small.

1TB + new controller, existing models going to $299 for clear out

Too soon.

Too soon.

If the 1tb console is the new standard and comes in at $349 (and in June, per the retailer listing), they are not going to leave the 500gb at the same price, perhaps they could go $319/$329 but those are pretty odd prices so it makes to clear out at $299, just to shift the stock, presumably there isn't truckloads of it sitting around.

Of course, if its not in at $349 then the price will probably stay the same. I guess if they went 1tb + new controller + MCC for $399 that wouldn't be terrible as long as its not the only option

Chobel

If the 1tb console is the new standard and comes in at $349 (and in June, per the retailer listing), they are not going to leave the 500gb at the same price, perhaps they could go $319/$329 but those are pretty odd prices so it makes to clear out at $299, just to shift the stock, presumably there isn't truckloads of it sitting around.

$299 for normal SKU will make $349 1tb console less desirable, and when the normal SKU eventually be out of stock, the sales momentum will decrease significantly.
$329 for normal SKU could work though.

$299 for normal SKU will make $349 1tb console less desirable, and when the normal SKU eventually be out of stock, the sales momentum will decrease significantly.
$329 for normal SKU could work though.

If they have a game and new controller with it (MCC, or perhaps the NFL game if it launches in July/Aug) then they'll be fine I think.

Chobel

If they have a game and new controller with it (MCC, or perhaps the NFL game if it launches in July/Aug) then they'll be fine I think.

All SKUs are come bundled with a game, and for most people 500GB is more than enough, so Unless this controller is revolutionary, the cheaper SKU will be the main bundle people buy.

All SKUs are come bundled with a game, and for most people 500GB is more than enough, so Unless this controller is revolutionary, the cheaper SKU will be the main bundle people buy.

Right, but if there aren't any bundles available they will buy the 1tb one. Sony did a similar thing when they made adjustments to the PS3 sku in 2006 I think? Temp price drop to clear out a small amount of remaining stock.

The summer months are slow for console sales, by the time the holidays come around people will have forgotten about the sku clearance which was around for like a month and just be buying consoles for the latest games and they will have plenty of bundles to choose from, perhaps even at a lower price for the holidays too

Stacey

Banned
It works. Just don't expect to play on those dedicated servers that were promised by 343 though. That is is just a fucking lie at the moment. And will pretty much always be the case.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149997836&postcount=5310

To add to this............

The lag in Halo 3 is ridiculous, also if you ain't from the US prepare to never be host, EVER!

Also the game sometimes literally stops finding players, forcing you to quit the game and start again.

Oh and there are only 3 ranked playlists, Team Slayer, H2:A and H2:A Championship :/

Leyasu

Banned
To add to this............

The lag in Halo 3 is ridiculous, also if you ain't from the US prepare to never be host, EVER!

Also the game sometimes literally stops finding players, forcing you to quit the game and start again.

Oh and there are only 3 ranked playlists, Team Slayer, H2:A and H2:A Championship :/

They wanted us to have that authentic experience... Complete with the shit p2p

Chobel

Right, but if there aren't any bundles available they will buy the 1tb one. Sony did a similar thing when they made adjustments to the PS3 sku in 2006 I think? Temp price drop to clear out a small amount of remaining stock.

People will wait for price cut instead of buying 1tb SKU, of course this will happen if the cheaper SKU is the most popular SKU (Really high chance this will be the case)
PS3 released in 2006 BTW, so I don't remember anything like that.

The summer months are slow for console sales, by the time the holidays come around people will have forgotten about the sku clearance which was around for like a month and just be buying consoles for the latest games and they will have plenty of bundles to choose from, perhaps even at a lower price for the holidays too

There are still many MCC and ACU bundles, especially MCC bundle. Slow summer months means they'll continue to be in stock until at least September. This will only make sure the perception of XB1 is the $299 console, after the cheaper SKU is out of stock, it will be hard for people to buy $349 SKU.

People will wait for price cut instead of buying 1tb SKU, of course this will happen if the cheaper SKU is the most popular SKU (Really high chance this will be the case)
PS3 released in 2006 BTW, so I don't remember anything like that.

There are still many MCC and ACU bundles, especially MCC bundle. Slow summer months means they'll continue to be in stock until at least September. This will only make sure the perception of XB1 is the $299 console, after the cheaper SKU is out of stock, it will be hard for people to buy $349 SKU.

I meant 2007, 6 and 7 are pretty close to each other! Also, link

If MS have something worth buying over the summer then people will buy it. As I said though, it depends on what they plan for the price and bundle of the 1tb, if they come up with something enticing it will hold them over sufficiently until the holidays.

Best way to transfer data from a launch Xbox One to a new one? Just redownloading everything is the best option? That will take some time on my slow connection.

Chobel

I meant 2007, 6 and 7 are pretty close to each other! Also, link

I don't see your point here, Sony didn't lower the price of the discontinued SKUs.

If MS have something worth buying over the summer then people will buy it. As I said though, it depends on what they plan for the price and bundle of the 1tb, if they come up with something enticing it will hold them over sufficiently until the holidays.

I'm not saying XB1 will have trouble selling to people, I'm saying when $299 SKU (it should be the popular SKU) is out of stock, the $349 SKU will be tough sell for many people, hence the decreased sale momentum.

I don't see your point here, Sony didn't lower the price of the discontinued SKUs.

I'm not saying XB1 will have trouble selling to people, I'm saying when $299 SKU (it should be the popular SKU) is out of stock, the $349 SKU will be tough sell for many people, hence the decreased sale momentum.

The PS3 launched in November 2006 at $499 for the 20gb and $599 for the 60gb, in April 2007 Sony announced they were discontinuing the 20gb and at E3 07 they were dropping the 60gb to $499 (which was to clear stock of the BC models) and bring a new 80gb bundle with Motorstorm that would come in at $599 in August.

My thinking is that basically MS will do a similar thing with the Xbox One Kinectless Sku, we know they like to make sku changes (both slims and the Kinectless bundle) around E3 so another sku change, whilst perhaps a bit excessive to keep doing things wouldn't be a surprise.

Im working on the basis the 1tb console won't be more expensive, it could be but that would be a bit strange unless they really want a third sku, or feel at $399 they can offer sufficient value to appeal to enough people to make it worthwhile whilst they still sell out of the ACU/MCC bundles which you said they have a decent amount of stock of (and is probable).

They can't have the 500gb and the 1tb at the same price either, as no-one would buy the 500gb one... so you must be suggesting they will go more expensive for the 1tb?

Chobel

The PS3 launched in November 2006 at $499 for the 20gb and $599 for the 60gb, in April 2007 Sony announced they were discontinuing the 20gb and at E3 07 they were dropping the 60gb to $499 (which was to clear stock of the BC models) and bring a new 80gb bundle with Motorstorm that would come in at $599 in August.

My thinking is that basically MS will do a similar thing with the Xbox One Kinectless Sku, we know they like to make sku changes (both slims and the Kinectless bundle) around E3 so another sku change, whilst perhaps a bit excessive to keep doing things wouldn't be a surprise.

Im working on the basis the 1tb console won't be more expensive, it could be but that would be a bit strange unless they really want a third sku, or feel at $399 they can offer sufficient value to appeal to enough people to make it worthwhile whilst they still sell out of the ACU/MCC bundles which you said they have a decent amount of stock of (and is probable).

OK, I get what you're saying now.

Sony's strategy was:
  1. Introduce new SKU with bigger hard rive and higher price that will increase profits (or decrease loses in this case).
  2. Try to make that new SKU as the main console to buy (advertisements...)
  3. Discontinue the old cheaper SKU,
  4. Shortly after that, drop the price of the new SKU to the same price of the old SKU, which gives the illusion of price cut.
  5. Repeat the steps above.
Sony had to cut the price of PS3, but they couldn't really afford to, and this strategy was their idea of emulating a price drop: don't really cut the price but offer more value at the same price.

Your idea looks similar, except it's decreasing the profits right from the beginning, you're actually doing price cut.

Ignoring profits, you idea could work, but shortly the cheap SKU is out of stock, MS will have to lower the price of 1tb SKU to $299 for this to continue working.
They can't have the 500gb and the 1tb at the same price either, as no-one would buy the 500gb one... so you must be suggesting they will go more expensive for the 1tb?

Yeah, either launch the 1tb SKU at higher price than $349, or make the old SKU just a bit cheaper (-$20 maybe even -$30), so it get sold but at the same time it feels like an inferior console.

At $50 price cut, old SKU won't be inferior anymore, it's the 1tb that will feel like premium console the majority won't buy.

Ignoring profits, you idea could work, but shortly the cheap SKU is out of stock, MS will have to lower the price of 1tb SKU to $299 for this to continue working.

Yeah, either launch the 1tb SKU at higher price than $349, or make the old SKU just a bit cheaper (-$20 maybe even -$30), so it get sold but at the same time it feels like an inferior console.

At $50 price cut, old SKU won't be inferior anymore, it's the 1tb that will feel like premium console the majority won't buy.

You raise some good points, I guess ultimately it may depend on how many 500gbs they have in stock, only having a few available so just clearing them out wouldn't be a huge issue but if they are so readily available like you said then it could have a reserve effect although I have long speculated they will go $299 this year anyway but they do it for the base price until later this year.

At this point, I'm not sure so sure where their profits are but production costs decrease and they were making a profit at launch so I doubt they are in a terrible position, they haven't had to write off $1bn for RROD like they did on 360 either!

I think they are desperate to get close to PS4 in US and they keep making these sku changes to push on that, obviously a 12/13k NPD win hasn't got them much closer but at least they stopped the gap from widening. $299 would be an aggressive move at least.

If new models are HDMI 2.0 compliant and have 4k capability i am gonna flip my shit. I have a 4k tv and would be stuck with an obsolete xbone!

shwimpy

So I received it and started downloading MCC about 2 hours ago, and holy shit, it's only at 23%. What the hell is going on with the download/install speed? My PS4 and hell, even Wii U isn't this slow.

So I received it and started downloading MCC about 2 hours ago, and holy shit, it's only at 23%. What the hell is going on with the download/install speed? My PS4 and hell, even Wii U isn't this slow.

I left mine downloading overnight and woke up to it complete. best way to do it imo.

Top Bottom