• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One headsets/headphones

LowSignal

I had a heck of a time getting the adapter to work. When I plugged in a headphone into the adapter the xbox would prompt me to do the update(I updated both my controls already), it would then fail to update 10+ times and finally after I left and came back an hour later it took. Now I get sound but I don't get any mic, I tried multiple controls and headsets. Every store around me is slim pickings. It's disappointing that something that should have been available at launch is hard to find now.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Okay so real quick impressions of the 4 shot. Out of the box they have a pretty quality feel to them and they are super comfortable. I wear glasses and am picky when it comes to headphone comfort and they feel pretty good. Waiting for COD to update then I'll test them out with that.

Also if anyone is online and wants to party chat to test out the mic, send me an invite, gt is purg3

Statement from Polk on the 4shot mic.. Issue not in the hardware, but in the adapter. Update coming from Xbox in the coming weeks.

I was thinking about getting the adapter for the xbox one for my turtle beach headset, But My headset has to like plug in the av cables of the 360. Would it still work if I plug in the cord into the controller without the av cable cords? I have the Turtle Beach Kilo headset.

Dandalf

Neo Member
Statement from Polk on the 4shot mic.. Issue not in the hardware, but in the adapter. Update coming from Xbox in the coming weeks.

This is great news, albeit slightly disappointing. Glad they can update it to resolve the issue and won't have to replace headsets.

I guess I'll just turn on the Kinect mic until it's patched, but it's nice to have a good set of headphones that are pretty hard to come by it seems.

Excite!

MCD

Awesome, good to hear then. Where did you see this?

http://www.polkaudio.com/latest/4shotstatement

From Kevin Duffy, President of Polk:

Thank you to gamers everywhere who bought our newly available 4 Shot Xbox One gaming headset. We are amped to bring quality audio in partnership with Xbox to make games more immersive! Explosions are louder, tire screeches more accurate and engines rumble deeper. We make stuff sound awesome.

Some 4 Shot users might notice an issue with microphone sound pick up in chat modes. Be assured there is no issue with the headphone hardware. Testing 4 Shot with your smartphone will show the mic works great.

The good news is we are working collaboratively with Xbox to improve chat and all current 4 Shot users will be able to download an update in the coming weeks. Thank you for your patience and please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Kevin Duffy
President, Polk Audio

Haklong

Si.

Sounds fine when it's plugged in my iPod or Surface but when I plug it into the adapter it has a background hum and it gets all scratchy when you load up a game. I hope it gets fixed or I'm going to be peeved.

I have them and don't get that. I did the update to my controller before I got the headset but after connection the headset the Xbox asked me to update. I did that and the sound was fine. It seems to have done the update with the headset connected. Those headsets don't sound amazing but I don't get static or feedback like that.

funcojoe

Just got the xo7s , updating them now. I don't see a dolby logo anywhere on the box or manuals? What kind of sourround sound is this going to be?

Just got the xo7s , updating them now. I don't see a dolby logo anywhere on the box or manuals? What kind of sourround sound is this going to be?

They're stereo, not surround. All the new X1 headsets are passive and the only way they will ever be surround is if MS patches it in via software.

EDIT: Damn, now I'm tempted to return my XO4 for a 4shot given that latest update from polk.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Been playing Ghosts with the 4 Shot and I'm really liking them. Positional audio is good and it's super easy to pinpoint locations from gunfire and footsteps. Glad I got these, really liking them so far. I'll put more time with them over the weekend with some other games

Been playing Ghosts with the 4 Shot and I'm really liking them. Positional audio is good and it's super easy to pinpoint locations from gunfire and footsteps. Glad I got these, really liking them so far. I'll put more time with them over the weekend with some other games

Any comment on the mic volume?

funcojoe

Just gave the xo7s a try. Not impressed at all, my old x41s sounded better. Plus they are not true wireless, as I have to have that huge fucking adaptor plugged into the controller to get sound. That thing bothers my fingers to the point of not being able to play competitively to my standards, it just gets in the way. I want to return but don't want to deal with the hassle. This blows.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm not sure I'm comfortable yet with the Polk update:

If this is an XB1 issue, why aren't other brands affected by it, and why are some users experiencing the same issue with the Melees on the 360?

JaggedSac

I'm not sure I'm comfortable yet with the Polk update:

If this is an XB1 issue, why aren't other brands affected by it, and why are some users experiencing the same issue with the Melees on the 360?

That is a good point. He mentions using a phone to test the mic and see that it works, but the problem with that is the near field mic can't be used with phones. A separate mic is included for that.

That is a good point. He mentions using a phone to test the mic and see that it works, but the problem with that is the near field mic can't be used with phones. A separate mic is included for that.

What do you mean, exactly? Using Melees with a phone, I tested the mic and it auto-muted if the retractable mic was closed and unmuted when it wasn't. Also, it was clear and loud to boot. I think it's some kind of mixing issue on X1 and not a hardwired problem. Hopefully, whatever they're adjusting in the patch will work perfectly with the Melees since they are pretty much the same set as the 4 Shot, just with different included items.

JaggedSac

What do you mean, exactly? Using Melees with a phone, I tested the mic and it auto-muted if the retractable mic was closed and unmuted when it wasn't. Also, it was clear and loud to boot. I think it's some kind of mixing issue on X1 and not a hardwired problem. Hopefully, whatever they're adjusting in the patch will work perfectly with the Melees since they are pretty much the same set as the 4 Shot, just with different included items.

Interesting, I could have sworn I read that the retractable mic was not usable with phones. That is actually good to hear then.

aka_bueno

Just picked this one up, was rather hard to find in stores. Here's a pic in case anyone wanted to see how it looks paired with the Titanfall controller.

87FlIGC.jpg

Inside the box you get: Headset. Removable mic boom. Headset adapter (also included is a small USB to XB1 cable to update the controller with). USB cable with in-line amplifier+volume controls for PC connectivity (this is why I bought this headset over the other XO models).

xray49er

I just got the XO4 they sounded pretty good I had to update the Controller again as soon as I plugged them in. I did a quick match of garden warfare everything sounded good not sure how I sounded. They were pretty comfortable. It's my first set of gaming headphones so I don't have anything to compare them too but so far so good

does anyone know if best buy accepts headphone returns? just got a pair of sennheiser momentum's the other day (sound great) but my ears kill after 20 min.

xkramz

Just picked this one up, was rather hard to find in stores. Here's a pic in case anyone wanted to see how it looks paired with the Titanfall controller.

87FlIGC.jpg

Inside the box you get: Headset. Removable mic boom. Headset adapter (also included is a small USB to XB1 cable to update the controller with). USB cable with in-line amplifier+volume controls for PC connectivity (this is why I bought this headset over the other XO models).
Where did you buy the atlas headphones?

def sim

I use the Vita IEMs that was suggested in the Playstation variant of this thread. It does its job well and was only ~$15.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Do you get game and chat audio? I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether the adapter works for game audio on non-xb1 specific headsets.

I can confirm that my Pulse Elites work with game and chat audio coming in. I am getting complaints of echoing if I go past about 70% volume however. Other than that they sound good, a little popping but nothing too bad once you're playing.

I can confirm that my Pulse Elites work with game and chat audio coming in. I am getting complaints of echoing if I go past about 70% volume however. Other than that they sound good, a little popping but nothing too bad once you're playing.

Not sure if it's just how you worded it...but does outgoing chat work also?

aka_bueno

Where did you buy the atlas headphones?

Gamestop. Had to call around and have them hold it for me. They're going fast, a lot of other Gamestops that had them earlier are now not showing up as out of stock using their locator. Best Buys said they'd have them in today, but now it's only ship to store option 4-6 days in SoCal.

Gamestop. Had to call around and have them hold it for me. They're going fast, a lot of other Gamestops that had them earlier are now not showing up as out of stock using their locator. Best Buys said they'd have them in today, but now it's only ship to store option 4-6 days in SoCal.

The atlas ones look slick.

Xone9

Banned

87FlIGC.jpg

how do they sound?

Been reading some reviews on Amazon and the Polk Melee seems to have exact the same issues ( the Melee seems to be identical to the 4 Shot ) If that's true, I wonder if a software update can fix it. I'll wait and see, not buying it before I'm absolutely sure they can fix this.

aka_bueno

Just used the Atlas for about an hour, I like them. I previously had a set of Turtle Beach XP500 that I used a lot on 360 but sold them when I got an Xbox One. Trying to cut down on clutter and cables, so the Atlus were right up my alley! Also wanted one headset for both PC and Xbox One, so this seemed like the right and only choice for me personally.

They sound pretty good, I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in audio quality between the XP500 and these, aside from the surround sound vs stereo difference. Loud and clear. But lets be honest, no sub $200 gaming headset is going to give you audiophile quality. I just wanted something for late-night gaming when I probably shouldn't use my home theater surround system as loud as I want. And if you're in the same boat as me, these are a great comprimise. Even though it was stereo, they displayed good sound separation. At least in PvZ Garden Warfare.

Haven't had a chance to test them on PC with the included USB cable w/in-line amplifier but I will test that later tonight and post back if anyone is interested. I love that it came with this, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it (or any other XB1 set).

My only gripe, on first use they are really tight fitting! They clamp your head really tight, which compared to the ever so slightly loose fitting XP500s...were a huge and stark difference. I had to hold them open and bend them outwards for a few minutes and break them in and they feel much better now.

MrBlonde

I ended up grabbing the XO fours, I didn't realize they were wireless too and I am sure they sound just as good as the XO sevens and saved myself $70. I'll be trying them out tomorrow

JeffG

I have been using the Xbox headphones for the last 2 hrs. They are comfortable and sound good. But when your batteries in the controller get weak, the sound will start to cut out. After i changed batteries, they went back to sounding good with no lost sound.

Chettlar

Banned
^^^ The 4Shot? lol look at the pictures.

Always good to hear when a problem is software-based and not hardware.

I have been using the Xbox headphones for the last 2 hrs. They are comfortable and sound good. But when your batteries in the controller get weak, the sound will start to cut out. After i changed batteries, they went back to sounding good with no lost sound.

Get yoself some eneloops breh.

Chettlar

Banned
I just found out.. mind blown..thats a slick placement my god

You didn't know about that? That was like a selling point. They even talked about it in the announcement video and everything.

Okay so real quick impressions of the 4 shot. Out of the box they have a pretty quality feel to them and they are super comfortable. I wear glasses and am picky when it comes to headphone comfort and they feel pretty good. Waiting for COD to update then I'll test them out with that.

Also if anyone is online and wants to party chat to test out the mic, send me an invite, gt is purg3

How do they sound just pluggin them in and booting up spotify or whatever you use?

Intru

Just got the official Xbox One Stereo Headset, and I like it so far. I'd say they're just as good as my Sennheiser RS-160 headphones (~$150ish wireless headphones), if not better. This headset definitely has better bass than my Sennheiser headphones at least. Just note that I'm not a very good judge when it comes to audio quality.

Build quality is nothing amazing, but definitely satisfactory for the price. They are quite comfortable, but maybe a little bit on the small side for my extra-wide head.

Archpath1

Is there a benefit from buying a 360 intended headset, and then using the adaptor for use on the xbox one

Thinking of using Skullcandy PLYR1 7.1 Surround Sound Wireless Gaming Headset found a good price

xkramz

Just got my TB atlas.. man I do miss my 7.1 virtual surround sound from my turtle beach X31.. is there a way these tb atlas could have 5.1? I connected my atlas to my 7.1 visualizer and it sounds great.. but I won't be able to chat with people just audio... Hmm I wonder if a female 3.5mm splitting to two Male 3.5, one going to the controller and another to the 7.1 virtualizer. If it'll work

Top Bottom