• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Installation manual leaked

DemonNite

2. You can't put the console vertically.

izKPBfIUjlNWt.gif

oVerde

Banned
Huh, what is this about:

What is shared to all accounts and what is not? And what it the "house of Gold"?

"house of Gold" is the console of the home-account from who bought the Live subscription, and it's shared among other accounts on its home console.

Carl

Xbox Gold paragraph and note:

Get Xbox Live Gold
• Experience unrivaled multiplayer games with an intelligent system for creating games.
• Enjoy HD movies, TV shows, music and sports.
• Use Skype, Internet Explorer and other entertainment applications.
• In addition, anyone in your home can access the benefits of Xbox Live on your Xbox Gold One *
Learn more at xbox.com / goldonxboxone

* The Xbox Live Gold subscription, games and media content sold separately. Subscriptions and / or additional requirements apply for some
resources, including Xbox Music. Resources and content available may vary by region / country and over time. Some benefits may not be Gold
shared, access limited to a single Xbox One designated member in the house of Gold; restrictions apply. See xbox.com / live.​

So you can share the gold benefits apart from the benefits that you can't share. Makes sense.

UNCMark

Banned
So you can share the gold benefits apart from the benefits that you can't share. Makes sense.

All gold benefits share on the home console. Same as PS+. If you have individually paid subscriptions to services, obviously those won't share. Much like they don't share on PCs etc.

hayguyz

Banned
wow didn't know that the xbone has a power brick.

Why do all MS consoles need a big brick but others don't need one

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not actually crazy paranoid, so I probably will.

Except it is, because you can get a charge and play pack and have a rechargable battery pack. So you have the choice of using that, standard rechargables, or regular batteries.

Beseda buddy are you getting a PS4 too though?

Yes I realize. Just thought it was interesting nonetheless

Will it say this clearly on the box that internet is required to setup the console?

A fair share of 360's never connected to the internet so it really needs to say on the box in no unclear terms that internet is required for setup

That said, there were almost 5 years worth of Xbox 360's sold (Nov 2005 - June 2010) that didn't even have a wireless adapter built in. The adapter was also a roughly $80-$100 separate purchase. We're also now in 2013 where people are pretty much used to connecting a ton of their electronics wirelessly (laptops, phones, smart TVs, Rokus, etc.)

So I don't think the "but a bunch of 360 owners didn't connect to the internet" stat is super relevant nowadays.

I'd actually be curious about how many PS3/Wii owners connected their systems online, since they had wireless built-in from the get go

Alpha_eX

You can run it on it's side, just not with a disc in the drive for obvious reasons. Can confirm this works, just don't do it with a disc in the drive!!

Megasoum

Banned
You can run it on it's side, just not with a disc in the drive for obvious reasons. Can confirm this works, just don't do it with a disc in the drive!!

Yeah but it also blocks some of the vents so it's not as bad as if it has a spinning disc but still.

That said, there were almost 5 years worth of Xbox 360's sold (Nov 2005 - June 2010) that didn't even have a wireless adapter built in. The adapter was also a roughly $80-$100 separate purchase. We're also now in 2013 where people are pretty much used to connecting a ton of their electronics wirelessly (laptops, phones, smart TVs, Rokus, etc.)

So I don't think the "but a bunch of 360 owners didn't connect to the internet" stat is super relevant nowadays.

I'd actually be curious about how many PS3/Wii owners connected their systems online, since they had wireless built-in from the get go

That is a fair point but what I really meant was the potential backlash from the hundred or two hundred people (maybe more?) who buy an XB1 in the US and don't have internet to set it up properly is not worth not putting a warning sticker

Sure it's not a lot of people but considering the opinion of the internet on the XB1 it would be noticed and discussed in depth

I do agree PS3/Wii online numbers would be more telling, although probably a percentage as numbers are less comparable

Vashetti

Banned
I still don't understand why they couldn't just patch this before production, unless they were already producing it before the 180.

The system software is being worked on right up until the last minute.

They obviously don't have that benefit with the hardware.

Skeff

I still don't understand why they couldn't just patch this before production, unless they were already producing it before the 180.

I'll give you 2 suggestions:

The OS STILL isn't ready now and manufacturing began a while ago, It's like the DRM was not possible to remove correctly (if the DRM was not removed correctly it could be possible to install a game and not need the disc as per the old model but it would be installable on all xbox ones)

Legally you are purchasing a console that is internet REQUIRED, if the DRM returns, you already were aware that an internet connection was REQUIRED.

EDIT: the second one is a bit of a tinfoil hat theory, granted, but it sounds interesting doesn't it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The day one update has nothing to do with the DRM. It's that the system is shipping with a stub operating system. The day one update is downloading the operating system. Without the update, you don't have an OS.

Skeff

The day one update has nothing to do with the DRM. It's that the system is shipping with a stub operating system. The day one update is downloading the operating system. Without the update, you don't have an OS.

So why did Major Nelson say they were removing the DRM on 22nd November and why is it mandatory?

Could be worse. When I was setting up my Roku 2, I had to connect to the Internet in order to do anything--including getting the MAC address for the machine. This was a huge problem because I use MAC address whitelisting at home, which I could not do without knowing the device's MAC address, which I could not get without getting online...which could not be done without the MAC address being whitelisted.

I ended up having to turn the feature off from my router to get it done.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So why did Major Nelson say they were removing the DRM on 22nd November and why is it mandatory?

Your question is directly related to his statement. The old "DRM" requires you to be online to play a game, without online you can't play anything. So connect on day one and the system then allows you to play your games by downloading whatever it needs. It just so happens that is also removes the online requirement. So in that sense the day one patch "enables" your console.

Well to be fair there will be something on the XB1 when it ships

Likely a load screen that says Please connect me to the internet, I need my fix

But yes the OS will require updating I'm sure

UberTag

Would be hilarious to receive the Xbox One under your Christmas tree and to then have little-to-no success in connecting online so it'll actually work.

Or perhaps the patch will corrupt itself partway through or timeout during download.

Will be tons of fun for their phone support staff to deal with. Unfortunately, I believe outsourcing to the Philippines is getting too costly for Microsoft now so they'll relegate calls to India or even worse. Got to cut back on all of those expenses for marketing, EA payouts and money hats.

Nymphae

Banned
Xbox one's controller has a future, just replace the rechargeable battery when it dies. The ps4 controller is just built to die, it has no future. :)

?

Replacing the DS battery after it dies in like 4 years is too much work I guess?

It's a shame for you that"The battery itself is a non-removable lithium-ion power source"

Just saw this after posting. Wow, did not know that. Kind of a bummer honestly.

Foxix Von

Wow step 4 is literally connect to the internet?

That may cause problems

Of course it is. They've back peddled off of requiring an always online connection, but the system was already in place. In order to remove the always online mandate there's still a mandatory one time connection to download a firmware update that removes the necessity to connect to the internet.

They're advertising that you don't need an "always online" connection. Not that you don't need one. It's deceptive, sure, but at least that method of advertising is consistent with the rest of their messaging.

This thing is seriously coming in hotter than an over nuked hot pocket.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's a shame for you that"The battery itself is a non-removable lithium-ion power source"

Are people actually arguing for batteries over L-ion?

If I had to go put in new batteries every time my controller depleted i'd have spent enough money to buy several games by now.

I don't think the level of faulty L-ion cells has ever been anything significant and you can order replacement L-ions for the DS3 for under 25 dollars

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29U0RG8032 assuming your controller battery dies every 2 years (that's like a probability of 2%) that's still significantly cheaper than buying AA's, not to mention far more convenient.

Rechargeable AA's mostly have just as much longetivity as L-ion's.

Could you link me to information about the battery being non replaceable because I cannot find anything besides

BATTERY AND RECHARGING

The DualShock 4 features a built in lithium-ion rechargeable battery, but unlike the DualShock 3, the DualShock 4 is able to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

Special C

Love me some AA rechargables. I'm scatterbrained enough to forget to plug my controller in, but I always have eneloops ready in my gaming room. Plus I already use them for most everything else in my house.

Top Bottom