• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One March Update Impressions Thread [Now Available]

jond76

Banned
Pretty cool feature was added to Xbox Music today. If you are listening to a song it will play the music video instead of the slideshow of pictures. Pretty neat in my opinion. I often play a playlist during parties and this will kick it up a notch.

that's pretty cool. Xbox Music is a good offering.

I find it hilarious that you need to update the firmware of your controllers via plugging them in with a USB cable.

Only Microsoft would make a simple thing like controllers so complicated.

derFeef

I find it hilarious that you need to update the firmware of your controllers via plugging them in with a USB cable.

New to firmware updates? You should make sure it has power during the process.

edit: Why do my posts always sound snarky, I apologize.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty cool feature was added to Xbox Music today. If you are listening to a song it will play the music video instead of the slideshow of pictures. Pretty neat in my opinion. I often play a playlist during parties and this will kick it up a notch.

Yeah, pretty sweet. And it can be turned off easily if you don't want to use it.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'll check out the Paypal issue if it's a region thing.

I don't know if it was changed in the Feb update but hasn't the Upload layout been changed? All videos are the same size now and can be organized easier to scroll through.

Lima

Seriously MS? I was just owing shit left and right in that Garden Warfare match you kicked me out because it's time to update.

Xone9

Banned
anyone have the revision # or os # for the final version? I was in the beta test, and got an update yesterday, but have no clue if its the final version

Doodis

Anyone know where to change the volume increments for using Kinect to adjust volume? I've been through every tile in the settings and can't seem to find it. I even recalculated the Kinect hoping to find it there.

I just installed the preview update, and was happy to see that Dolby Digital is now an option via the audio settings. However, I am still only getting stereo output from my DirecTV receiver. My system is setup as follows:

DirecTV receiver -->HDMI--> Xbox One-->HDMI-->TV

Xbox One-->Optical-->AV Receiver

I've experimented with the Beta surround sound options, but no matter what I do, HDMI audio is always downsampled to stereo when sent back out via Optical.

Will this ever be a supported scenario?

Anyone know where to change the volume increments for using Kinect to adjust volume? I've been through every tile in the settings and can't seem to find it. I even recalculated the Kinect hoping to find it there.

Settings>TV & OneGuide>Troubleshooting>Audio

Like every major smartphone does this too... I can't update my iOS without having it plugged in first, lol.

that's pretty cool. Xbox Music is a good offering.

It sure is. They also offer their API for developers to play around with.

http://music.xbox.com/developer

Pretty cool imo

Anyone else having issues with Kinect?

The "Xbox on" command works maybe once out of ten times for me. The automatic sign in barely works either and even when it does it sometimes recognizes my girlfriend as me. I've recalibrated the thing a thousand times and even reset it to factory defaults.

Am I missing something here?

Anyone else having issues with Kinect?

The "Xbox on" command works maybe once out of ten times for me. The automatic sign in barely works either and even when it does it sometimes recognizes my girlfriend as me. I've recalibrated the thing a thousand times and even reset it to factory defaults.

Am I missing something here?

That command is one of the most unreliable. Maybe it's because there's only so much it can do from low-power mode.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
My controller now no longer recognises the stereo adapter nor the console bundled in chat headset. I updated it today, plugged in my headset and it worked fine. Plugged it out and back in and then it stopped working. I tried everything from rebooting, to emptying the console's cache, to taking out batteries, to trying to update the controller once again. Nothing worked. I had to go out and buy a brand new controller, which does work fine with the stereo adapter.

Anyone has any clue how to fix this? I mean the controller is totally functional, but it just doesn't seem to recognise anything plugged into it. :/

Bsigg12

My controller now no longer recognises the stereo adapter nor the console bundled in chat headset. I updated it today, plugged in my headset and it worked fine. Plugged it out and back in and then it stopped working. I tried everything from rebooting, to emptying the console's cache, to taking out batteries, to trying to update the controller once again. Nothing worked. I had to go out and buy a brand new controller, which does work fine with the stereo adapter.

Anyone has any clue how to fix this? I mean the controller is totally functional, but it just doesn't seem to recognise anything plugged into it. :/

Contact Xbox Support on Twitter or email/call. That seems like a firmware issue with the controller so maybe they'll tell you how to reset it or send you a new one.

Cru

i kept it on instant on all day and didn't get it :(. is there a way to force it?

I had it on instant on and changed it back to power save and shut it down. Then put it back to instant on and went into stand by and it finally updated lol. Not sure why it needs to be this complicated.

Killer

Banned
I had it on instant on and changed it back to power save and shut it down. Then put it back to instant on and went into stand by and it finally updated lol. Not sure why it needs to be this complicated.

i'll try that and see how it goes.

Edit: yup, it worked. ffs ms..

This is how I got the 2 most recent updates. I keep mine on instant on all the time, so I just switch it to power save, turn it off, switch it back to instant on, turn it off again. I just wait 10 minutes or so and it starts downloading.

Not sure if that's how to push it but it's worked both times for me. Worth a try at least if someone hasn't gotten the update yet.

E92 M3

I came back from work today and the update was there. Can't complain about that.

Overall, the system does seem to react quicker (most important for me). They still have a lot to do, but MS has come a LONG way from launch. I am proud of them. Also, I wish we could make lists in our friends section instead of just favorites. Would love to have all GAF people organized in one area lol.

The Flash

Banned
I came back from work today and the update was there. Can't complain about that.

Overall, the system does seem to react quicker (most important for me). They still have a lot to do, but MS has come a LONG way from launch. I am proud of them. Also, I wish we could make lists in our friends section instead of just favorites. Would love to have all GAF people organized in one area lol.

Groups and nicknaming would be good things to have for sure. They want our feedback so we should definitely let them know that this would be a good idea.

Killer

Banned
This is how I got the 2 most recent updates. I keep mine on instant on all the time, so I just switch it to power save, turn it off, switch it back to instant on, turn it off again. I just wait 10 minutes or so and it starts downloading.

Not sure if that's how to push it but it's worked both times for me. Worth a try at least if someone hasn't gotten the update yet.

It's incredibly stupid. what was wrong with the 360 updated at certain time? a lot of things about this console seem backward.

hawk2025

Still can't get the update, I've tried everything in this thread.

The new method is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen.

levemir

Banned
People getting real mad about the update. It's not that big a deal is it? You won't even know it's happened. They can't give it to everyone all at the same time unfortunately, but you're not really missing out.

I got mine earlier today when my console was in standby mode. The new volume increment thing is great, I've set it at 8 now so I never need to repeat the Xbox volume command.

hawk2025

People getting real mad about the update. It's not that big a deal is it? You won't even know it's happened. They can't give it to everyone all at the same time unfortunately, but you're not really missing out.

I got mine earlier today when my console was in standby mode. The new volume increment thing is great, I've set it at 8 now so I never need to repeat the Xbox volume command.

Yes, it's a big deal.

I get home tired at night and can't even play a game of Garden Warfare with friends. It's ridiculous.

And yes, they CAN give it to everyone at the same time.

def sim

A force update feature would be nice, if only to avoid some inconveniences people might have. However brief it may be.

Top Bottom