• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - my digital games won't start

phyrlord

don't think any service ever was..

Never...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

"The 2011 PlayStation Network outage was the result of an "external intrusion" on Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, in which personal details from approximately 77 million accounts were compromised and prevented users of PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable consoles from playing online through the service. The attack occurred between April 17 and April 19, 2011, forcing Sony to turn off the PlayStation Network on April 20. On May 4 Sony confirmed that personally identifiable information from each of the 77 million accounts may have been exposed. The outage lasted 23 days."

So I went to buy TWD: Michonne, it took my money, but didn't' download the game. Now the store either says I have to buy it again, or the game page is just gone.

I did talk to a customer service person, and they said they are working on it, but i figured this would be a good message to pass on.

I would highly suggest not buying anything digital for a little bit today.

drotahorror

Seems to be in order for now. But they seriously need to do away with the lock down of the system if you can't get online. "Something is wrong on our end, but you can't use your content. Sorry!" Get out of here with this nonsense.

I still have the exact same issues I've had all morning. Can't go to the marketplace and can't view my pins.

Can't download any games, can't buy any games and then download them.

So I went to buy TWD: Michonne, it took my money, but didn't' download the game. Now the store either says I have to buy it again, or the game page is just gone.

I did talk to a customer service person, and they said they are working on it, but i figured this would be a good message to pass on.

I would highly suggest not buying anything digital for a little bit today.

I'm sure they're still trying to iron out any issues from the last 24 hours. They'll eventually get everything back to normal.

Never...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_PlayStation_Network_outage

"The 2011 PlayStation Network outage was the result of an "external intrusion" on Sony's PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, in which personal details from approximately 77 million accounts were compromised and prevented users of PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable consoles from playing online through the service. The attack occurred between April 17 and April 19, 2011, forcing Sony to turn off the PlayStation Network on April 20. On May 4 Sony confirmed that personally identifiable information from each of the 77 million accounts may have been exposed. The outage lasted 23 days."

Some aspects of PSN took months to recover. The change password page on the Playstation website didn't work for a year, told you you had to change via the console, and if you "Forgot password" it brought you to the page that told you to use the console. My acct got hijacked around this time and I never got it back.

Sony seemed to learn from their lax networking treatment of the past and got serious with it, and while PSN was still worse than XBL for years after that from a service perspective, Microsoft has seeminly regressed with XBL in the last 2-3 years.

EvB

Some aspects of PSN took months to recover. The change password page on the Playstation website didn't work for a year, told you you had to change via the console, and if you "Forgot password" it brought you to the page that told you to use the console. My acct got hijacked around this time and I never got it back.

Sony seemed to learn from their lax networking treatment of the past and got serious with it, and while PSN was still worse than XBL for years after that from a service perspective, Microsoft has seeminly regressed with XBL in the last 2-3 years.

The system that Xbox One uses throws much more data around all the time and as a result seems to be way more finicky than what the 360 is running on

The system that Xbox One uses throws much more data around all the time and as a result seems to be way more finicky than what the 360 is running on

Agreed. I don't think the network can handle the requirements of the console, so one of them is not ready for production. My hunches lean towards the console, because there's been a lot of jank with this system since launch.

The issue with error messages and the "Go Offline" fix is as good an example of this. So many people in this thread are saying, "If you want to play your digital games, set your console to Offline Mode," which seems like a simple work-around to at least being able to play single player local games, but the console never prompts you to do that. Instead it gives you weird, unhelpful, vague error messages and tells you everything is fine when you run the network diagnostics.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Agreed. I don't think the network can handle the requirements of the console, so one of them is not ready for production. My hunches lean towards the console, because there's been a lot of jank with this system since launch.

The issue with error messages and the "Go Offline" fix is as good an example of this. So many people in this thread are saying, "If you want to play your digital games, set your console to Offline Mode," which seems like a simple work-around to at least being able to play single player local games, but the console never prompts you to do that. Instead it gives you weird, unhelpful, vague error messages and tells you everything is fine when you run the network diagnostics.
The console has evolved! It learned how to spin from Microsoft master spinners!! It knows what it takes!!!

The console has evolved! It learned how to spin from Microsoft master spinners!! It knows what it takes!!!

...?

Don't you think it'd be more helpful if the error message told you to turn the "Offline Mode" on, instead of

lwIPhjM.jpg

Like, why do you have to get the temporary fix for this from a thread on NeoGaf rather than the console providing the resolution?

etta

my hard graphic balls
...?

Don't you think it'd be more helpful if the error message told you to turn the "Offline Mode" on, instead of

lwIPhjM.jpg

Like, why do you have to get the temporary fix for this from a thread on NeoGaf rather than the console providing the resolution?
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just making a joke about how the console says "everything is fine, nothing to worry, move along" instead of saying what the problem is, hence spin.

Be nice if they would put "we're having some issues with (insert problem)" alerts up on the home dashboard for shit like this, wouldn't have wasted 15 minutes of my life entering and re-entering that Far Cry code.

Everything still fucked? I might as well stay in work later, was planning on playing some Xbox this evening so have no other plans

No point leaving earlier if it's still porked

Syriel

Full offline mode has been a highly requested feature on their feedback page. They don't care.

this is insanity, why isnt there an offline mode like steam that just works?

The Xbox One has a full offline mode. Unlike Steam, where you need to be online before you can go offline, the One can go offline anytime, so long as it is the home console.

This I completely agree with. It's probably because MS didn't envision a scenario where login worked, but core services didn't. If XBL were entirely down, the system would work as though it were offline.

The problem here is that XBL wasn't entirely down, so the system thought it was online.

This I completely agree with. It's probably because MS didn't envision a scenario where login worked, but core services didn't. If XBL were entirely down, the system would work as though it were offline.

The problem here is that XBL wasn't entirely down, so the system thought it was online.

Sounds like some re-envisioning is in order.

drotahorror

Anyone know how I can play the Trackmania Beta? I finally got it downloaded after nearly 24 hours and now it says "Something went wrong" when I try to start it. ffs.

danowat

Banned
Mine was fully back up this morning, but oddly, it's deleted all the saved login info for apps like Netflix, anyone else had this?

Plasma

Banned
Mine was fully back up this morning, but oddly, it's deleted all the saved login info for apps like Netflix, anyone else had this?
Maybe there's still something wrong with the cloud server, I'm guessing that's where the information is being stored.

madmackem

My friends are going ape shit with this they can't get in parties or play past a certain time in the uk. Ms needs to come out and address this they are being seriously quite and it's effecting their hardcore fan base.

I'm guessing it's still down for some people? My little sister is upset that she can't play Garden Warfare 2, but the status page from Microsoft and the console itself says there aren't any problems. Can't access store either.

I'm guessing it's still down for some people? My little sister is upset that she can't play Garden Warfare 2, but the status page from Microsoft and the console itself says there aren't any problems. Can't access store either.

That sucks. I had problems two days ago but it was fixed yesterday PM (I'm in the States).

Can't play anything while connected to the net. Apps I can't launch are being used by friends on my friends list (HBO Go, YouTube).

Was this determined to just be an XBL thing?

My God, our digital era is getting better by the day.

Digital futurrrre

Oh please. Xbox Live is up and running fine 99.9% of the time. I cant rememberthe last outage I experienced, but it has been months for sure.

If people cant go a few hours without playing a bloody game they need to reexamine their life.

Also it works just fine for playing your digital games if you just disconnect from the internet entirely (offline mode or just unplug) assuming you arent account sharing with your "brother".

I can't launch any of my digital games right now! It was fine last night, wtf do I do?

Offline mode. It isnt complicated.

Or go outside.

Cranster

Banned
Oh please. Xbox Live is up and running fine 99.9% of the time. I cant rememberthe last outage I experienced, but it has been months for sure.

If people cant go a few hours without playing a bloody game they need to reexamine their life.

Also it works just fine for playing your digitsl games if you just disconnect from thr internet entirely, assmuign you arent account sharing with your "brother".
While I do agree somewhat (disc based games are impacted aswell), some people like myself are working all day tomorrow so it would have been nice to be able to play some Xbox games for a couple hours tonight.

All of your games will work in offline mode as log as it's your home Xbox or you have a disc. Netflix must bypass Xbox live for access because it works fine. Anything else online wise that uses Xbox live seems to be down. Figured I'd just update to the latest possible.

Edit: Iam a liar it's working for me now

big_z

The games don't even load lol.

Yes they do if you disconnect from the network. The reason nothing was starting today is because the cloudsave service was down. Games and apps are trying to sync your data at startup but it returns an error and quits back to the dash as a result.

Megatron

Read all the replies. It's a posted service outage not a mystery. We're all waiting for it to be fixed.

Who cares? If you buy a game digitally, you should be able to start it, internet or not. Having to go into the settings and disable it is better than nothing, but MS needs to put better checks in and make that not happen. Have the game switch automatically.

Top Bottom