• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One October Preview detailed

Cynn

i think it was a system wide fix that was rolled out a few months ago

yeah, i'm a Canadian Unblock-Us subscriber and I'm wondering the same thing
Huh, I can't believe no one's talked about this if so. Black Crush was the #1 pain of mine for the system and it's constantly talked about in comparisons. I've been mostly playing the PS4 lately so I didn't notice. Do you have any links for more info on its removal?

my app load times, yeah, 10 times might be to much, but still:
auto dns: friends - 15sec, achievements - 29sec (and snapped apps don't even open sometimes)
google dns: friends - 4 sec, achievnments - 6sec
snapped apps and overall speed is much better too,
finally using xbox now is not a painful experience, yay

This actually sounds reasonable. So much of that stuff is loaded straight off the web.

Banamy

Tried the DNS,I originally had 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. But when I switched from 8.8.4.4 to 4.4.4.4 it worked faster. The apps load around the same speed but the data loads way faster.

Huh, I can't believe no one's talked about this if so. Black Crush was the #1 pain of mine for the system and it's constantly talked about in comparisons. I've been mostly playing the PS4 lately so I didn't notice. Do you have any links for more info on its removal?

The black crush has not been fixed.

malfcn

I already updated tonight.

In the middle of Destiny:
You need to update. But there is a problem.

I finally check for updates..and there is NO update.
C'mon guys.

Welp, basically unplayable right now because of this bug.
Every 10 minutes or so I get booted from everything because of a phantom update.

C'mon guys.

Every 10 minutes or so I get booted from everything because of a phantom update.

Same here. When I first turned on my Xbox it said there was a problem with an update. On problem is no update...

Tried the DNS,I originally had 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. But when I switched from 8.8.4.4 to 4.4.4.4 it worked faster. The apps load around the same speed but the data loads way faster.

Isn't the second DNS just a fallback? There's a chance you never even accessed 8.8.4.4 or 4.4.4.4. Also, ping 4.4.4.4.

Unless a second reachable DNS address is causing the Xbox problems somehow, I don't see how it would make a difference.

derFeef

Killer Instinct still hurts me when I load it up and it's black crush everywhere, at least newer games coming out have a better balance, it's probably going to stay that way forever :/

KI is also still one of those 720p games. A lot of new released games are running native and therefore not through the scaler - which causes the black crush.

sangreal

Black crush is not caused by the scaler, it is caused by the broken full rgb output. The scaler was causing everything to be overly sharpened but they fixed that awhile ago.

KI is also just really dark by default. They added a brightness option a few months ago to fix this

Chitown B

Agreed. I normally set mine on PC whites because that's how my TV is calibrated, but that crushed everything.

Cynn

Killer Instinct still hurts me when I load it up and it's black crush everywhere, at least newer games coming out have a better balance, it's probably going to stay that way forever :/
It looks fixed in KI to me. The minimize to dash trick no longer shows a difference between full and windowed. Try it again and let me know if you feel it's the same. Looks night and day to me.

Black crush is not caused by the scaler, it is caused by the broken full rgb output. The scaler was causing everything to be overly sharpened but they fixed that awhile ago.

KI is also just really dark by default. They added a brightness option a few months ago to fix this

People keep writing this, but why do games that use the hardware scaler always have worse blacks than others? Native 1080p games rarely have issues with blacks.

operon

C'mon guys.

Same here. When I first turned on my Xbox it said there was a problem with an update. On problem is no update...
Same here this morning. A full boot fixed it but again after a standby boot

therapist

o Media Player DLNA and MKV support – Members of the preview program who have also downloaded the latest version of the Media Player app will now have support for DLNA streaming. With this update, you will be able to easily access and play music, watch photo slideshows or movies stored on home media servers and devices that support the DLNA server protocols. Additionally, you will now be able to playback MKV files stored on a USB device or a device on your home network that supports DLNA streaming

YES.

Now how do i get into that...

Edit : ah its invites :/

derFeef

The console is a brick until this is fixed.

I can't play for more than 10 minutes without it wanting to update.

I am downloading a 256MB update just now, was that a mistake? :/

edit: This seems new "Applying Update" picture with a long progress bar and an Xbox in the center - instead of just the tiny green bar.

malfcn

They said they have fixed it..without an update?
Hopefully so. I was getting booted with "Time to Update" every 10-30 minutes.

zou

where can I report a bug? recently achievements been in the wrong language, ignoring console and account settings and instead guessing based on ip location. highly annoying and frustrating.

where can I report a bug? recently achievements been in the wrong language, ignoring console and account settings and instead guessing based on ip location. highly annoying and frustrating.

On the Xbox forum there is a section for the preview program. That would be the best place.

Hubble

Anyone having trouble recording clips from the game dvr after the preview?

What trouble are you having? I did a few days ago. I was trying to upload a video, and it kept failing at 50%. Tried everything and couldn't fix. I haven't tried since though.

I just decided to remove my console from the preview program. Just a few too many buggy moments, and I'm scared to experience a bad one. I've got almost every feature I could want anyway.

I just decided to remove my console from the preview program. Just a few too many buggy moments, and I'm scared to experience a bad one. I've got almost every feature I could want anyway.

Just keep in mind that you simply won't be in future preview waves, and you'll stay in it until the October update ships to everyone.

It looks like they added trending to the xbox one guide for me anyways.
They have a separate section for movies and TV shows.

Pretty neat feature that I can see myself using quite a bit.

Hopefully they add the ability to change tile sizes. i like the smaller tiles like pins currently are. It used to be that way for the game library at launch but then they made them bigger when the update to separate games and apps arrived.

frontieruk

It looks like they added trending to the xbox one guide for me anyways.
They have a separate section for movies and TV shows.

Pretty neat feature that I can see myself using quite a bit.

Tried it, just showed what I'd expect to be trending at that time, I can't see myself using it.

Mask

I got invited about 3 or so weeks ago, and nothing :(

Anyone kind enough to invite me again? My tag is Splatternick

A system update is being released for you to preview beginning today, 9/26/2014, after 6:00pm PDT. This update contains assorted fixes and tweaks, including some localization issues reported by the Preview community, and referenced below.

HOW TO GET IT

If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by navigating to Settings > System and selecting System Update.
If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 9/28/2014, you will be prompted to do so at that time..

DETAILS

OS version released: xb_rel_1410.140922-2200
Available: 6PM PDT 9/26 (2AM GMT 9/27).

KNOWN ISSUES

We continue to investigate reports of brief static when watching Live TV.
Thank you for your participation in the Preview program!

Speculation but final release next week I reckon, unless they find any other issues

Has anyone else noticed the achievements leaderboard isn't accurate? I've earned some achievements in the past few days that I know aren't showing on the leaderboard.

Just noticed the Trending section in the OneGuide, it's surprisingly useful.

Yeah, I was skeptical of the value it added, but then I instantly found the football game I was looking for. I'm sure it'll also be useful when new episodes of a popular show are on.

It would be cool if you could specify a demographic. :p

Yeah, I was skeptical of the value it added, but then I instantly found the football game I was looking for. I'm sure it'll also be useful when new episodes of a popular show are on.

It would be cool if you could specify a demographic. :p

Isn't it supposed to figure that out on its own, eventually?

Top Bottom