• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One October Preview detailed

MCD

So, it's "that time" soon again :) Any guesses or wishes for 1411?

A faster OS for a start. And It's time they move to 8.1 system or whatever they call it. Multiple snap sizes, background audio playback, personalization...and remote playback via some phone app.

Two thing I'd like:
- ability to turn of the "Hold guide button to know more" thing, 360 didn't have it and didn't need it and it makes the notifications stay on screen way too long
- seperate system language from game language so I can use my regional Kinect language for navigation and stuff while still playing the game in English

E92 M3

I would like:

- Themes (brighter colors/options)
- Background music
- Complete Store revamp (probably won't happen for a while)
- Screenshots (not this year)
- The UI is still not as efficient as the 360
- Just keep making everything quicker and snappier.

Items I'd like to see:

- Custom Sountrack
- More speed

That's literally all I can currently think of. Microsoft has actually been on fire with getting the OS sorted out.

Tawpgun

Items I'd like to see:

- Custom Sountrack
- More speed

That's literally all I can currently think of. Microsoft has actually been on fire with getting the OS sorted out.

Custom soundtrack would be sweet.

I'd also think it would be cool if you can manage how far something snaps.

JaggedSac

Really really want background music

Same here. Hell, I hope they do it right and put some api's in there for any app to be a background music provider. So devs can implement functionality in games for selecting an OS managed music provider for things. For example, in Forza Horizon 2 one would be able to change radio stations and one of those would be Xbox Music or Spotify.

Two thing I'd like:
- ability to turn of the "Hold guide button to know more" thing, 360 didn't have it and didn't need it and it makes the notifications stay on screen way too long
- seperate system language from game language so I can use my regional Kinect language for navigation and stuff while still playing the game in English

And this! I live in the Netherlands and want to use English voice commands (and text), please. Now I'm forced to use Dutch text (and no Kinect support).

A faster OS for a start. And It's time they move to 8.1 system or whatever they call it. Multiple snap sizes, background audio playback, personalization...and remote playback via some phone app.

I think they will skip 8.1 altogether and go straight to 10 now XD

Edit:

I would love for them to update the Kinect SDK and include this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xXrMpOHyc

(And use it in D4 season two)

Two thing I'd like:

Oh, I like these.

Only features I want:

- Turn off "moments" auto-record DVR per title. For instance, I'd turn it off for Madden and Fifa, which auto-record almost everything.
- Add Screenshots.

Really hope screenshots are out when GTAV comes out. I think the double tap guide -> Y would work just great for screenshots.

Kampfheld

Banned
Reading the comments, your wishes are all kind of identical.

- themes
- background apps/music
- screenshots
(-more speed)

These four. Well, I think no one will kill me if I tell you that all of these things are being worked on pretty much right now. The last aspect is simply optimization, which they are always working on. I don't exactly know when these things will come, but if you feel like you are satisfied with the OS if these four will be ready, then you should be a happy person within the next 4 months or so.

However, 1411 at least will include something not mentioned so far. While I don't know when 1411 will be ready, I expect it by next week. However, I was wrong on that before - so take it with a grain of salt.

Only features I want:

- Turn off "moments" auto-record DVR per title. For instance, I'd turn it off for Madden and Fifa, which auto-record almost everything.
- Add Screenshots.

Really hope screenshots are out when GTAV comes out. I think the double tap guide -> Y would work just great for screenshots.

Great point on turning off the auto-DVR. I don't need all of those things recorded.

Reading the comments, your wishes are all kind of identical.

- themes
- background apps/music
- screenshots
(-more speed)

These four. Well, I think no one will kill me if I tell you that all of these things are being worked on pretty much right now. The last aspect is simply optimization, which they are always working on. I don't exactly know when these things will come, but if you feel like you are satisfied with the OS if these four will be ready, then you should be a happy person within the next 4 months or so.

However, 1411 at least will include something not mentioned so far. While I don't know when 1411 will be ready, I expect it by next week. However, I was wrong on that before - so take it with a grain of salt.

A long shot but I don't suppose you are aware of any plans to re-do the store? I really do think that its just horrendous. Awful for finding anything, poor organisation in general... I really am not sure how they've got almost a whole year with it looking like that. 360 store was so much better.

For example, the coming soon/new releases sections (Coming soon has disappeared off my store recently too) has 4 boxes for new games on the main store page, yet on average 3 of them are taken up with the same game, currently new releases has FH2: "Day One Edition" "Day One Deluxe Edition" "Day One Ultimate Edition", bizarre layouts. Why do they not have a base page for Forza Horizon 2 then when you click it you get the choices of which version you want? The other box is for Shadow of Mordor.

They need to add headings at the top as on 360 and have a separate scroll page for each. No wonder D4 sold like shit when it came out and on the store it was under new releases for a whole day before other games came out and it got buried, you could easily showcase the 10 last or so releases on that page and have space left over.

They re-did the storefront and we know from E3 they have like 16 boxes or so smaller boxes, but as it stands there are 3 boxes: Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within and KickBeat. Yes 2 of them are big games and should be on the storefront, but not a single person will convince me that SoM having a box half/third the size would have any less people click on it. Its just ridiculously poor organisation, on a very basic level to me.

The store does suck, but I doubt that they'd change it this early on.

The PlayStation 4 store is also kind of crappy, as is the PS3 one as everyone knows.

Kampfheld

Banned
A long shot but I don't suppose you are aware of any plans to re-do the store? I really do think that its just horrendous. Awful for finding anything, poor organisation in general... I really am not sure how they've got almost a whole year with it looking like that. 360 store was so much better.

For example, the coming soon/new releases sections (Coming soon has disappeared off my store recently too) has 4 boxes for new games on the main store page, yet on average 3 of them are taken up with the same game, currently new releases has FH2: "Day One Edition" "Day One Deluxe Edition" "Day One Ultimate Edition", bizarre layouts. Why do they not have a base page for Forza Horizon 2 then when you click it you get the choices of which version you want? The other box is for Shadow of Mordor.

They need to add headings at the top as on 360 and have a separate scroll page for each. No wonder D4 sold like shit when it came out and on the store it was under new releases for a whole day before other games came out and it got buried, you could easily showcase the 10 last or so releases on that page and have space left over.

They re-did the storefront and we know from E3 they have like 16 boxes or so smaller boxes, but as it stands there are 3 boxes: Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within and KickBeat. Yes 2 of them are big games and should be on the storefront, but not a single person will convince me that SoM having a box half/third the size would have any less people click on it. Its just ridiculously poor organisation, on a very basic level to me.
I agree with you and we even already wrote some sentences about that and more store concerns to the team. I honestly don't know their exactly plans. However, they are aware of it. The new game pages introduced soon will make things a little bit better here tho. While they do not directly belong to the store, they still affect the overall visibility and transparency of a single game presence.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same here. Hell, I hope they do it right and put some api's in there for any app to be a background music provider. So devs can implement functionality in games for selecting an OS managed music provider for things. For example, in Forza Horizon 2 one would be able to change radio stations and one of those would be Xbox Music or Spotify.

just let you keep audio from the last snapped app active in the background when unsnapped. So then that could be xbox music or spotify etc (haven't tried but I presume they can run from snapped IE?)

Dabanton

Is anyone having a problem with the media player where it will recognise a USB drive has been plugged in but won't show the actual drive until you reset the machine?

Also it looks like the 30min crash bug is back. twice at the weekend I've had episodes of shows I'm watching crash back to the menu.

Whats the link to post these problems on the preview forum?

I would like to be able to disable certain voice commands. For some reason "xbox volume down" translates to "xbox sign out" about 50% of the time. If I could just disable that one that would be amazing. Or even better if I could use the controller dpad to control the volume. I'm so close to being able to throw away my dying harmony remote! The sign out thing has kicked me out of Destiny games entirely before :(.

I frequently snap the TV app and play music to it via my chromecast, if I could hide the snap and reclaim my screen space that would be really nice.

Also, I've done quite a bit of testing and it seems to be a problem with the TV app that my chromecast's audio will get distorted after running it for a while. Restarting the TV app fixes it, and swapping chromecasts did not so I'm pretty sure its the xbox tv app.

Chorazin

just let you keep audio from the last snapped app active in the background when unsnapped. So then that could be xbox music or spotify etc (haven't tried but I presume they can run from snapped IE?)

Oh man, I would freaking love an Xbone Spotify app that could run in the background!

Don't understand why they don't provide us with gamer pics actually related to games, most folks on my friends list have been saying the same

Ultimatum

Banned
It'd be cool to have the option to swap single and double tapping the xbox button functions. i.e. I'd like to get the snap menu up by pressing the xbox button once

It's only up to Spotify.

Weren't a team at MS developing their own Spotify app? I heard it'll be a universal app

Don't understand why they don't provide us with gamer pics actually related to games, most folks on my friends list have been saying the same

I think its strange that things like this, themes and custom soundtracks (not in snap) which launched with the 360 aren't in XB1, I appreciate theres only so much they can develop for each month but you'd have thought they would have been in from the beginning, really.

koolin101

Neo Member

E92 M3

Only features I want:

- Add Screenshots.

I haven't encountered that yet, but definitely don't want games auto-recording.

I knew they would drop the ball with gamerpics when it became clear they would be these massive HD images. The 360 had a big diverse lineup of pictures to choose with a lot of people using unique ones. On the One I see many duplicates.

Hubble

I really really really want the snap center to be accessed by one tap like the 360 and two to go to the dashboard. It's annoying having to hit two.

Pretty big complaint in some games, but it's great in others. A game that does it well is like PowerStar Golf, where if you get an incredible shot in, the game auto-records and uploads that moment. It's usually shorter than a "Record That" recording. Of the dozens of hours I've played, it's only done it maybe 5 times and in every case it's for something that's pretty great, eg., a hole in one or a long chip shot, etc.

An example where it's really bad is in Madden '15 and FIfa '15, though I think EA tuned it down for both with a recent update... But in Madden '15, it auto-records every touchdown and posts it to your profile, even if you didn't score them. So, if the CPU does a 2-yard touchdown run, it records it as a "MAdden moment" and uploads it. Same with Fifa, if your goalie makes a block or the opposing team scores, it publishes it.

you can turn it off, but the only way to turn it off is at the OS level and it turns off *all* recording from Game DVR, which sucks because I still want the ability to record, I just don't want titles auto-recording and publishing for me.

It wouldn't be a problem at all if it wasn't abused by some developers/publishers.

I knew they would drop the ball with gamerpics when it became clear they would be these massive HD images. The 360 had a big diverse lineup of pictures to choose with a lot of people using unique ones. On the One I see many duplicates.

I think the set up with HD images is great, it's just the selection imo. It's perfect for having pics of your favourite games but for whatever reason they haven't bothered, which is strange. Agreed on the duplicates, see tons of the same pics or the players avatar.

E92 M3

Pretty big complaint in some games, but it's great in others. A game that does it well is like PowerStar Golf, where if you get an incredible shot in, the game auto-records and uploads that moment. It's usually shorter than a "Record That" recording. Of the dozens of hours I've played, it's only done it maybe 5 times and in every case it's for something that's pretty great, eg., a hole in one or a long chip shot, etc.

An example where it's really bad is in Madden '15 and FIfa '15, though I think EA tuned it down for both with a recent update... But in Madden '15, it auto-records every touchdown and posts it to your profile, even if you didn't score them. So, if the CPU does a 2-yard touchdown run, it records it as a "MAdden moment" and uploads it. Same with Fifa, if your goalie makes a block or the opposing team scores, it publishes it.

you can turn it off, but the only way to turn it off is at the OS level and it turns off *all* recording from Game DVR, which sucks because I still want the ability to record, I just don't want titles auto-recording and publishing for me.

It wouldn't be a problem at all if it wasn't abused by some developers/publishers.

Yes, when it works properly it's a cool feature, but the way madden and fifa does it kills it for everyone else.

I think the set up with HD images is great, it's just the selection imo. It's perfect for having pics of your favourite games but for whatever reason they haven't bothered, which is strange. Agreed on the duplicates, see tons of the same pics or the players avatar.

In theory, HD pictures are nice - but right away I realized that effort involved means the selection would be limited. I liked how on the 360 certain achievements granted gamerpics. Sucks we don't get things like that anymore.

Two thing I'd like:

Actually, this is a holdover from the 360. Whenever a notification pops up on the 360, holding the 360 button ties you to the relevant screen, whether it be to the achievements, messaging, or launching a game you were invited to.

I guess it would be cool to turn this off, but I find it to be a useful feature.

Actually, this is a holdover from the 360. Whenever a notification pops up on the 360, holding the 360 button ties you to the relevant screen, whether it be to the achievements, messaging, or launching a game you were invited to.

I guess it would be cool to turn this off, but I find it to be a useful feature.

I think he means the notification with a timer bar which stays on screen for 30 seconds instead of the function itself.

I have noticed that since the last OS update, these auto record clips are no longer posted to your activity feed, which makes them bearable.

Also, with the last update, it started posting every Record That clip and any clip you save in the Game DVR to your activity feed, which I like a lot. It's easy to go back and delete it from your feed, but 99% of the time, I recorded it so I could save it to my feed. That step has been automated.

JaggedSac

Yeah, but then you get audio conflicting with the game audio. Much nicer solution to have the devs be able to allow audio from providers like the original Xbox did.

Yes, when it works properly it's a cool feature, but the way madden and fifa does it kills it for everyone else.

In theory, HD pictures are nice - but right away I realized that effort involved means the selection would be limited. I liked how on the 360 certain achievements granted gamerpics. Sucks we don't get things like that anymore.

Do MS take much notice to the feedback site ? Some requests here people can vote for

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251652-xbox-store/suggestions/6031633-gamerpics

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...32-bios-and-other-social-icons-for-gamercards

Hubble

I think he means the notification with a timer bar which stays on screen for 30 seconds instead of the function itself.

Agree I think he means the size of where it says 'Xbox open profile' or whatever and how long it's on the screen for. I do feel like it's too long and large, and it is annoying you cannot hold the guide button on this notification. It was amazing on 360.

Ahhhhh.

Top Bottom