• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One & PS4 size comparison photos

GuessWho

seeing the XB1 in person and realizing it's much smaller then it looks, makes me :O seeing as how ps4 is so much smaller.
It's not the xbox that's huge, it's the ps4 that's tiny.

big_z

Probably to make it look more like a piece of AV equipment.

looks like an AV receiver imo.

B00CMNZHEC_front_lg.jpg

genbatzu

this comparison is unfair.... because the Xbone power supply is missing...

xbox%20one%20power%20supply.jpeg

Xbox-One-Power-Supply.jpg

pics shamelessly taken from google image search

Footos22

Honestly can't see how ps4 will get any smaller. unless they went with a power brick.
Ms obv made it with all that empty space just so they can easily create an xbox one s in a couple years time so people buy them again, which they will.

Xbox One isn't an amazing looking console by any means but it's straightforward and minimalist in presentation; which is what's considered "in style" these days. Don't really get the "ugly" comments. It's black and rectangular -- pretty much the stereotypical look for a modern game console.
It has (subjectively) ugly grills all over it. That's not really minimalistic or in style as far as I'm aware. :/

I'd describe something like this as minimalist:
Insert-2_OLED-3D-TV_ES9500.jpg

The PS3 Super Slim is ucking fugly, and all the 360 designs are pretty awful imo. If the XB1 wasn't massive and didn't have the grilled top surface, I'd probably prefer it's look over those, but as it is it's pretty darn ugly.

Carcetti

I like how certain members of the media have been all "the XB1 really isn't as big as you think it is".

I saw the Xbox One couple of weeks ago in an expo, it was inside a glass counter but you could look at it from all sides nicely. It really is smaller than it looks like in the photos but PS4 is really tiny, slightly smaller than a PS3 slim.

What the images usually fail to convey more is that Xbox One looks like an old VCR because the right half the of shell is actually just vents on top and on the side.

Bgamer90

Banned
It has (subjectively) ugly grills all over it. That's not really minimalistic or in style as far as I'm aware. :/

I'd describe something like this as minimalist:
Insert-2_OLED-3D-TV_ES9500.jpg

The PS3 Super Slim is ucking fugly, and all the 360 designs are pretty awful imo. If the XB1 wasn't massive and didn't have the grilled top surface, I'd probably prefer it's look over those, but as it is it's pretty darn ugly.

I've seen the Xbox One in person. It really isn't ugly at all. It's just a typical looking video game console box. And it's better that the grills are slants instead of straight lines -- the latter is a more outdated look IMO.

I agree with you about the PS3 super slim and the original Xbox 360 but I actually like the look of the Xbox 360 S.

But again, this is just my opinion and taste. I'm one of the few here on GAF who prefers the look of the US SNES over the PAL SNES (very strongly too).

Ominym

Banned
Am I the only person that really does not see why a power brick is that big of a deal? Sure, you can make the argument that it could've fit inside the console. But who cares? Am I the only person putting their consoles in an entertainment center that hides all the cables and such?

Shady859

Am I the only person that really does not see why a power brick is that big of a deal? Sure, you can make the argument that it could've fit inside the console. But who cares? Am I the only person putting their consoles in an entertainment center that hides all the cables and such?

I hide my power supplies on the bottom shelf of my stand behind a wicker basket thing that hides away my controllers. No worries and barely any added cable management they have never bothered me. I can't imagine a M$ console with a PS built in, fire hazard!

Yikes the size difference is more then I thought it would be. The PS is external, so whats taking up the extra space, it can't be the heat sink/fan...can it?

Averon

It's obvious MS was paranoid as hell about another RRoD like fiasco. So, they made the XBO so that the internals has as much breathing room as possible to move hot air and dissipate heat, which means a lot of open space, which means a bigger physical box.

I would have rather liked the ps4 to be 43cm hifi standard in width, since for logistic reasons it will go on top of my hifi rack. It's too small (but at least it's square and symmetrical, so it won't look that bad)..

lol @ guys downplaying XBO's humongous size... even if it isn't that big... that would still make the PS4 even smaller than it looks in comparison...

EvB

The Xbox One needs to be that large, without that much mass, the tidal flow of planet Earth would be thrown out of balance. Microsoft's Hardware engineers thought through this very carefully.

Clockwork5

Alot of people here seem to think Sony have some genius engineers, but what about this feature included with every PS4?

2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif

itsgreen

It is a little lame that only the flattering shots are used.

The PS4 is quite a bit deeper than the One. Seems a bit skewed not showing that.

Regardless the PS4 innards we really surprise me a lot. Quite a bit of great engineering from Sony. Very impressive. Very glad I chose PS4 for NG.

Saw the photos. Shook my head in disbelief. Never change, Microsoft.

Alot of people here seem to think Sony have some genius engineers, but what about this feature included with every PS4?

2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif

Some have speculated that this prevents vibrations / noise from the drives spinning, in which case it would be a good thing.

Top Bottom