• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One & PS4 size comparison photos

xmonolith_zpsb8bdfcf9.jpg

Couldn't resist

I don't care for the design for either console, and having never laid eyes on either in person I like the Xbox One a little better. The PS4 is just a little worse due to the funky slant.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Futureman

looking at my entertainment area in my apartment there's literally no where the xbox one could go except on the carpet. Too big. I'll have to buy furniture to house the Xbox 1.

Last Hope

So lets say, a year will bring

1) a redesigned console that is half the size
2) no Kinnect
3) $379 because the PS4 will outsell it 3:1 (in the US)

Lets see how this plays out.

Bgamer90

Banned
I've seen the Xbox One in person. It really isn't all that big -- just a little bit bigger than the original 360 so overall it's a typical "first half of the gen" console size.

The PS4 is a "second half of the gen" slim size though making the Xbox One seem bigger than it actually is by comparison.

Now kinect though -- kinect is really big (for a camera accessory). Was surprised by its size when I saw it in person.

Contrary to the look my previous post, I'm very much looking forward to picking up my XBox One next week. I really think both consoles compliment each other quite nicely both in looks and different types of experiences.

I've seen the Xbox One in person. It really isn't all that big -- just a little bit bigger than the original 360 so overall it's a typical "first half of the gen" console size.

The PS4 is a "second half of the gen" slim size though making the Xbox One seem bigger than it actually is by comparison.

Now kinect though -- kinect is really big (for a camera accessory). Was surprised by its size when I saw it in person.

Pretty much agree with everything you said

Curious to see if the PS4 can be made that much smaller

Most surprising thing is the chunkiness of the new kinect especially when compared to the PS camera (obvious reasons for it though)

I think most people will op for the kinect on their tv stand not on their tvs personally

Vooduu

I've seen the Xbone in person and it really isn't that big tbh. PS4 is just small. The guy from GiantBomb put his palm on the PS4 and you could tell it is a small console.

Elios83

The difference would be relevant even if the PS4 had an external power supply....
Xbox One is basically assembled like a mini desktop PC, similar to the original Xbox.
Maybe they really got scared with what happened with the 360 and decided against a customized console design.

Ramblin

Banned
Damn the xbone is too big to fit in my house! And it doesn't have as many p's and it cost a fortune more. You kids are funny.

Fotos

Microsoft said they wanted the XB1 to blend into your other living room electronics. I think they succeeded in that sense. I'll have to actually have it in my room first to see if I really like the design or not though.

I like how the PS4 looks but I hate how it's angled like that.

dose

They're quite similar actually. XB1 is a little bit wider but beside that they take roughly the same amount of space on the shelf.
LOL what? Are you blind?

I think they purposefully designed it that big so that it would blend well with DVR's and such. PS4 is so small it would leave a lot of empty space on a shelf under the TV. Doesn't look too hot IMO.
Amazing. Oh wait, now I get it...

partime

The vcr commets are about as dumb as saying the PS4 looks like an old eraser.

fBsxyce.jpg

ummm no.

Even at E3, where they had an Xbox on display, it looked pretty much like a VCR with an absurd amount of ventilation holes. It's basically a big rectangle that you're not able to sit other equipment next to. It looks hideous even without the power brick.

rrs

The Xbox One does blend in to an extent but is it to hide a bigger/cheaper motherboard? It doesn't even have a cool display screen to show the wrong time or channel you are on. I'm also curious if anyone has done a Xbox One to Xbox size comparison pictures, the PS4 is already known as a small console.

tipoo

Banned
Heat vents on the top is such a bad design. Sure it's good if you are only conserned about temperature, but at the same time it's perfect dust trap. Should imho only be used as a last resort if you can't solve heat problems any other way.

Dust could gather there, but FYI the fan blows up, sucking air in from the sides. Just like the 360 S and E.

The Xbox One looks like a VCR out of the 1980s and that's made even worse when one considers it doesn't have an internal power source. Kinect 2.0 is comically huge.

Tablo

All that and a power brick!

If bigger = better go team Microsoft!

Could you link the thermals/sound of the Xbox One retail units. I'm not doubting you but the PS4 was considerably lower than expected. I really don't see this as an issue on the PS4.

Read what you quote, I said it "better", as in it damn well better be quieter. As in I'm putting pressure on the XB1 to partly justify its size...
#criticalreading

Bgamer90

Banned
Xbox One isn't an amazing looking console by any means but it's straightforward and minimalist in presentation; which is what's considered "in style" these days. Don't really get the "ugly" comments. It's black and rectangular -- pretty much the stereotypical look for a modern game console.

Kydd BlaZe

Man I didn't realize the Xbox One was THAT friggin massive. Gonna be a challenge getting both consoles into my entertainment setup along with my Wii U and my already big as fuck cable box (which is more or less the same size of the Xbox One).

No top down view? Heh.

Will look very nice next to my Verizon FiOS DVR:

I guess no accident there is a FiOS TV app at launch for Xbox One. I am very happy with the design for obvious reasons. :)

#America

The vcr commets are about as dumb as saying the PS4 looks like an old eraser.

fBsxyce.jpg

Because PS4 does look like an eraser. And Xbone does look like a VCR/DVR. At least the PS4 has some style to it.

Bleem

Neo Member
Xbox-One-PS4-size-comparison.jpg

It actually looks a little smaller than the Phat PS3 - no? Slightly taller, but certainly a little thinner.

Raist

Banned
PS4 how are you so much smaller but more powerful and with internal power supply?

Regarding size, one of the important factors is that the PS4 uses a "small" centrifugal fan placed on the side of the massive APU heat sink, while the XB1 uses a huge axial fan placed on top of the APU heatsink. So that likely contributes to the big differrence in thickness.

The XB1 motherboard also seems like a giant mess with tons of random stuff, compared to the PS4's. Maybe they mostly use one side while Sony uses both.

big_z

xbone is big compared to a ps4 but the ps4 is already small by console size standards.

I personally think the xbone is sexier in design, if it was 30% smaller it would be perfect. the ps4 on the other hand is kinda cheap looking.

Marvel

could never
I like them both but I find myself liking the Xbox One more. If it was smaller it would be perfect for me.

Top Bottom