• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

Grinchy

Banned
Besides the dancing games, has MS ever had a real demonstration involving Kinect or has it been faked every single time?

jblank83

Scalability

Xbox One's GPU is already significantly weaker than PS4's. If it's barely twice as capable as the Wii U, this will be a very interesting generation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they only started in November 2012? That's really late for a console OS. Maybe if its running fairly full windows as the UI layer it is quick to develop for?

I expect the underlying software was started much earlier.

Krilekk

Banned
I,don't know a lot, but wouldn't this be one of the first things you lock down?

I guess I'm being more critical after the Wii U OS clusterfuck. This is oddly reminiscent of that. The lag, choppiness, etc.

360 games were nearly unplayable due to unfinished hardware and software at E3 2005, all worked great when the console came out months later.

Krilekk

Banned
Besides the dancing games, has MS ever had a real demonstration involving Kinect or has it been faked every single time?

Press conferences are always faked when somebody shows live gameplay. Too much can go wrong, people dying, messing up, freezes. It's ALWAYS prerecorded footage.

cormack12

Gold Member
As people have alluded to, if your cable providers hardware is slow and takes a while to change channel anyway, how is adding a software layer to that going to speed it up? It isn't -which is the bottom line. The only way this could have been salvaged is if MS provided the box for cable and satellite providers and had tuners inside as well.

I expect the performance in that vid is what a lot of people will get de facto.

They really don't want to delay for a year like Sony did which might be the next tactic here. Sony eventually caught up and is having the stronger cycle finish.

Septimius

Press conferences are always faked when somebody shows live gameplay. Too much can go wrong, people dying, messing up, freezes. It's ALWAYS prerecorded footage.

Wasn't the Killzone footage of the PS4 done live? There were enough mistakes in the play-through that it felt played. And they had the guy on stage. It was obvious that he had god-mode turned on, the way he kept taking shots to the head, but still.

Again, I don't blame MS for faking the UI if it isn't finished, but such shit as "see how fast that was?" it was is just too disingenuous to me.

LukeTim

I'm pretty sure they didn't fake this:

2-1.gif

Hanmik

did you ever see Iwata Miyamoto trying to play Skyward Sword at E3..? if that was faked .. then LOL..

mdtauk

did you ever see Iwata Miyamoto trying to play Skyward Sword at E3..? if that was faked .. then LOL..

That's why many times it is faked. And probably why we are getting Nintendo Direct this year, where it can be edited to avoid fluffs and awkwardness

itsgreen

It is obviously not a good thing they demoed it in this state, and running perfectly would take away doubts... but.

They do have a full 6 months and a lot can happen.

And it probably wasn't the latest build, just a recent one that worked and didn't crash.

That said, Sony probably also doesn't have their software finished. But. The gap between smoothness is pretty big here.

They wouldn't show this if they weren't reasonably sure they get it to this level in november, and they are a software company so who knows..

MarkusRJR

I don't understand the people that are supporting this. Seriously... they went on stage displaying the "OS/UI" and even begged the crowd to get a response, implying this was a real demo of the software. You don't do that when your product isn't anywhere close to as good as the staged demo. This is just as bad as the Killzone 2 fiasco, but at least that was just a game. This is an entire console's OS. When you have this much bad PR something like this is just topping it off.

So fucking shady. I mean I'm sure they'll make it better than what was shown in the new video by launch, but it's the whole situation and the way they went about showing off the staged demo. They should have stated it was just conceptual or that it doesn't illustrate the current software (or just not show off the OS). It's like MS wants me to hate them.

Vashetti

Banned
What a joke, lol.

"What if I can't remember the channel?"

"Not to worry! Xbox, Channel 13!"

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE CHANNEL YOU DUMBASS

cormack12

Gold Member
What a joke, lol.

Yeah, I laughed at that. I'm more likely to remember Sky One or ESPN than 'XBOX, go to channel 13'......which to be fair I think was shown. The woman just did it in the wrong order.

Amir0x

Banned
Ya, so what he's claiming is meaningless. They dropped the ball with the price. People weren't upset about being deceived about Killzone and Motorstorm.

The Killzone CG thing was a huge issue surrounding the PS3's game reveal - even outside of the price - for months after it was shown, and dogged Sony's perception in one way or another for years even up until when they finally released the proper Killzone 2.

And it got even worse when Sony actively lied about it not being realtime. I don't think it's a fair reading of game industry history to say people weren't upset about it, because it was a huge thing for ages after it was shown. You should read some of the old neoGAF topics about the Killzone CG, to say nothing about the endless industry critiques of the story on every website :p

A lot of that love is coming from the decisions that Sony has made so far with the PS4 and how they've acted on it. That coupled with a solid investment in first party titles over the PS3's life to back up the likelihood that they'll have a good solid line up of games. That's why there's good will, not because Sony bought it back. Plus the point is, gamers will change on a dime who they favor and a new platform always offers a clean slate for all parties involved.

This post, though, really doesn't make sense. If the "love" comes from "the decisions that Sony has made so far with the PS4 and how they've acted on it".... if that's "coupled with a solid investment in first party titles over the PS3's life" which demonstrated some essential value about the company... then... by literal definition, that's Sony bringing back the good will lol

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Not all "live demos" are faked. Most are all running god mode and stuff so you don't have to worry about getting killed and slowing down the demo.

Pretty sure every coD showing at E3 since MW has been prerecorded though. The whole "in the interest of time" and skipping ahead in the level is a giveaway.

hesido

Nope. Clocks can only go down at this stage as they try to get acceptable yields.

Releasing useless info such as transistors count but not clock speeds should tell you all.

And the fact that they are trying to emphasize "the infinite powah of the cloud" makes all the more sense. And, they are going to convince a lot of people with that.

bj00rn_

Banned
I don't get the anger at people questioning the OS.

Fact 1: XBONE OS demo was faked, we did not know this previously

Fact 2: XBONE OS doesn't have good performance now, in fact it is pretty slow and choppy

Fact 3: Microsoft has 6 months to change this

All 3 are true, and some anger at fact 1 due to being deceived is also warranted. Fanboys defending Microsoft just because of fact 3 make no sense.

As a pragmatic somewhat working in the field, I'd say your "fact 2" is a conjecture from just peeking through a keyhole. There's a lot more to an OS than a portion of the graphical interface which usually gets its polish in the latter stages. We know too little about the OS itself to conclude that the OS is "slow and choppy", which in itself would be a very serious matter even with six months to go. Some of the UI elements and Kinect features, yes likely, but the entire OS and UI, unlikely.

And like I said in another post, unless you miss your goal entirely "faking it" shouldn't be considered a surprise nor negative. In the high tech industry we do that for internal and external presentations all the time to try to show off the goal and potential while still doing development. A company like MS at this stage would never release "a slow and choppy" OS or UI. To think so would be unrealistic / wishful thinking, depending on how you look at it.

After RROD I'm happy to give it a year before jumping on Xbone. This situation is something I'm sure will be fine upon release though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I swear Krilenkakorat, some of your post's power levels are truly immense.

It is obviously not a good thing they demoed it in this state, and running perfectly would take away doubts... but.

They do have a full 6 months and a lot can happen.

And it probably wasn't the latest build, just a recent one that worked and didn't crash.

That said, Sony probably also doesn't have their software finished. But. The gap between smoothness is pretty big here.

They wouldn't show this if they weren't reasonably sure they get it to this level in november, and they are a software company so who knows..
Not necessarily. These things will need to go into production in a couple of months, if I recall correctly didn't the Wii U begin late August/September? In addition a final QA pass is likely to take a few weeks on top of that.

They'll need something to put on those hard drives once they start coming off the line.

of course it was fake..

the dude said Xbox 1000 times ... if kinect was listening and it was real, it would be going nuts waiting for a response..

I don't know how anyone thought the conference was real. All you have to do is look at the skype part. So obviously timed and faked.

G_Berry

Banned
I can't believe how much half of you are carrying on about this shit.

1. It doesnt even look that bad
2. The chick even says its an early build
3. We dont even know where the xbox was pulling the data / feed from.
4. The video was so chopped and edited together who fucking really knows how fast it is.

aRogue

Banned
What a joke, lol.

Hahaha, you and me are on the same page my friend. I thought the exact thing when she said that... A joke, indeed.

LukeTim

This is the reason why all demos are now fake.

I don't know why.

It didn't make me feel like the technology was bad or not worth it... it demonstrated some of its limits, helped me have more of a realistic expectation.

I think if they don't fake demos like that, and admit to their technology's limits, people will be more accepting of the technology when it arrives.

DBT85

Killzone wasn't faked, and it wasn't faked on Fallon the night after. I know this, because Fallon can't play for shit.

You fake things when they aren't ready for prime time.

OS and their ideas for PSN/Online features. All screenshots of what they hope it will look like. No indication they are a true reflection of what they will do, just like the MS OS stuff going on.

There is a difference between a "live-demonstration" and showing concepts and videos.

Top Bottom