• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

goomba

Banned
1. Wii U is using eDRAM
2. Wii U chips are on an MCM
3. Wii U's GPU is clocked at 550Mhz and is a lower class than Xbox One's
4. These are unfounded rumors at the moment.

any source on that wii u gpu clock speed?

of course its lower class it came out a full year earlier

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I have watched that Wired-sponsored XBone commercial and can't help but wonder.... my TV does that already (sans the voice-commands, which never seem to work for me anyway, I can barely get my S3 to recognize the command "Navigate Home"), but at a higher framerate.

So why exactly would I put down hundreds of Euros for this crap?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That GIF is deceptive. When she says "go home" it goes to the Bing search screen off camera. The perceived delay is from her issuing another vocal command that's visually off camera.
Agreed, the choppiness is still embarrassing, but the absence of audio completely changes the impression of that GIF.

I'm not convinced "Snap live TV" is all that awesome and crucial a command anyway but whatever.

goomba

Banned
I have watched that Wired-sponsored XBone commercial and can't help but wonder.... my TV does that already (sans the voice-commands, which never seem to work for me anyway, I can barely get my S3 to recognize the command "Navigate Home"), but at a higher framerate.

So why exactly would I put down hundreds of Euros for this crap?

halo tv show and dance central 4

hackdog

Banned
I'm only going to make a judgement on this when we see what they have available to play with at E3 next week. If they have nothing for people to go hands on with then I will raise an eyebrow.

Sushen

It still really does not matter if they faked it or not. They are promising features at the launch of their console. They will either deliver or get completely smeared. I would put money on it that they will ultimately deliver on their promises.

Just as Sony will deliver on their promises.
It does matter because it goes down to the matter of trust. Do you remember how long the per-rendered kill zone video haunted Sony with ps3 in combination of getting a second job and all that? At the end of the day whether ps3 graphics actually matched the concept video didn't matter because it was no longer about the video itself.

It does matter because it goes down to the matter of trust. Do you remember how long the per-rendered kill zone video haunted Sony with ps3 in combination of getting a second job and all that? At the end of the day whether ps3 graphics actually matched the concept video didn't matter because it was no longer about the video itself.

And yet now everyone is in love with Sony. Plus how many people among the general consumers knew or cared about that back then?

Everyone was always in love with Sony. 140 million PS2's sold. They just slightly dropped the ball early with PS3.

Ya, so what he's claiming is meaningless. They dropped the ball with the price. People weren't upset about being deceived about Killzone and Motorstorm.

subtleglitch

Neo Member
I'm definitely not surprised to see that their demo was staged. I just think it's funny how Microsoft was blatantly lying at the presentation about how "fast" the ui was, when in reality there is definitely a lot of lag there.

They should have been more forthcoming about it, and even admitted that it's still in early stages, and that may have saved them face.

Either way, they still have some time to iron out some kinks, but I doubt it will get -that- much better.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If it ends up being as fast as what was faked on stage, then it's okay. If Microsoft lied in front of 8.5 millions people, I expect a big media backlash.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That was his point, BEFORE launch the 360 was derided and called "Xbox 1.5". Go back and read the 360 MTV reveal thread. After it launched was a different matter.
No, his point was pretty much, "...but they kinda have always been the punching bag."

godelsmetric said:
I didn't say it was wall-to-wall hate, I said that they're often a punching bag (in general, not just among gamers) and that they've never had the kind of affection from gamers that Nintendo and Sony have enjoyed, and I'm not sure how any of the things you list suggest otherwise. I mentioned the reaction to the 360 at reveal. And I'm not really sure why you think that people picking 360 versions of multiplatforms because they're superior is supposed to be indicative of people loving Microsoft and not just maximising value for money.
IDK, maybe because they're picking those multiplats on the console they probably had to rebuy/repair 3 or 4 times and then have to pay extra just to get access to any MP? That's some devotion don't you think? Certainly not the Rodney Dangerfield of the gaming world that you tried to paint.

And those were just a few more obvious examples. They've been praised heavily for standardizing things like Achievements, cross-game chat and XBLA game demos. Lots of people somehow consider the 360 controller layout the One True Layout To Rule Them, despite this supposed lack of respect. We could also talk about some of the game franchises that have somehow become positively revered despite this alleged MS stigma: Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Fable etc. Why did anyone bother to give them the time of day, to the tune of tens of millions sold altogether, from such a disrespected developer/publisher?

The reaction to the 360 reveal and the "xbox 1.5" ridicule for the next few months was nothing compared to the withering ridicule Sony faced once "$599" happened. In truth, they're all subjected to the same kind of scrutiny and criticism as befits their transgression. Like every other major player in this industry, their fortunes are tied to What They've Done For Us Lately.

Besides, I'm not sure where all of the threads full of people justifying their XBLG subscriptions are. Generally all I see are threads full of people calling other people idiots for having one.
First, I didn't say anything about "threads full of people". Second, your perception is selective.

mdtauk

Did anyone see Windows Phone 7 before it shipped? Uhh yeah. It's not out yet, of course it's going to be like this. Jeeze.

I think we could all guess that the on-screen demo at the event was simulated. But if Microsoft were sensible, they ensured the demonstration was reflective of how the final UI will function

7 years later, after sinking enough money into a hole that would have killed many lesser companies, sure, they've recovered quite a bit. But let's not gloss over the effort required to get there.

A lot of that love is coming from the decisions that Sony has made so far with the PS4 and how they've acted on it. That coupled with a solid investment in first party titles over the PS3's life to back up the likelihood that they'll have a good solid line up of games. That's why there's good will, not because Sony bought it back. Plus the point is, gamers will change on a dime who they favor and a new platform always offers a clean slate for all parties involved.

FlyFaster

That guy on stage should be embarrassed. How shameful.

He's the epitome of the corporate shill. I'll never be able to take another word he says again seriously. "What to see it again"? "Did you see how fast it was"? >< makes me so angry.

Spaulding

Who actually believed it was real-time? Didn't the show a live basketball game and the presenter already knew the outcome?

Yoda

Are you all Microsoft employees? I highly doubt you are so you all have no reason to blindly defend bullshit PR shenanigans. Being critical of what you saw (an OS which operating like its running on an emachines) is what will pressure Microsoft to do better. If you want Microsoft to do well next cycle you should be joining the chorus of criticism, because guess what? If they think everyone will be OK with it then why fix it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey, look at that, the DirecTV Guide being shown within the Xbox One. You know, something some people think you need to switch inputs to gain access to.

Is there an example of this? I thought it was quite obvious that the entire point of the X1's HDMI input is so you don't have to switch inputs on your TV to use a secondary device.

MasLegio

Banned
Because missing this holiday season would be suicide.

You're right - they've made their case that Xbox One is an entertainment device first and foremost, they obviously did not design it with graphical prowess as the primary goal...which is why it would not surprise me to see them sacrifice performance for yield...they're already banking on the graphical differences to not be a big factor when it comes to sales.

If that is the case I would not be surprised if MS has planned on upgrading the Xbox One every two or three years. Especially since they are now more competing against future Apple products (Apple TV-box) than the PS4.

MasLegio

Banned
If it ends up being as fast as what was faked on stage, then it's okay. If Microsoft lied in front of 8.5 millions people, I expect a big media backlash.

I expect (games) media to not say much else but try and defend it in a weak way.

tech media might be different though...

Wasn't it obvious that it was all a pre-recorded video that he was just miming to? I mean he went to a "live" basketball game at 10 in the morning. Plus, why would MS ever risk having actual software at that reveal? If they fuck it up it will be remembered forever. No point in taking that risk.

ThEoRy...

To be fair she did say in the video, "So obviously this is an early build." Let's wait to see how the release build shaped up before we bust out the pitchforks. Even then, they can constantly update it wit da infinite powah!! Not saying the press conference jerk off wasn't a total fake out shillmeister but still. Wait and see approach works best here I think.

Jamie OD

Who actually believed it was real-time? Didn't the show a live basketball game and the presenter already knew the outcome?

They were pretty clever to use footage from The Price Is Right as there probably is a TV station somewhere in America that aired an episode of that show while the conference was going on.

web01

That guy on stage should be embarrassed. How shameful.

He's the epitome of the corporate shill. I'll never be able to take another word he says again seriously. "What to see it again"? "Did you see how fast it was"? >< makes me so angry.

Yeah its absolutely disgusting and their is no way he doesn't know the current development state of the product.

Yet people will still keep defending this joke of a company.

Here's one, and there were plenty of people being confused about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58642593&postcount=320

That post, and most of the questions about Xbox One's TV functionality, are more about what the Xbox can control, than what it can display. Those menus will, of course, be shown through the pass through just like anything else that come out of the cablebox. He is asking if the Xbox one can interface with recorded programs or On Demand. If it can't, then you will need to pick up your remote to navigate those functions. Which does undercut the whole "One media box to rule them all" message.

RobbieH

So the TV features will only be available in North America at launch, the instant switching was largely faked, none of the gameplay trailers had any gameplay and the PR messaging after the event has been the most confusing and clusterfucked of any product reveal, well, ever. It's okay, though, "it's an early build", "we haven't decided on any of the policies - the information out there is inaccurate and false" and "wait for E3!"

Yeah its absolutely disgusting and their is no way he doesn't know the current development state of the product.

Yet people will still keep defending this joke of a company.

No different then when Sony pretended their '05 demos were legit and you had people aggressively defending them.

You'd have thought MS would have taken notes from Sony and not done a mock/fake presentation.

My confidence in the OS is pretty much shattered, and I say this as one of the few who thought it was really impressive. You dun f'd up MS.

That post, and most of the questions about Xbox One's TV functionality, are more about what the Xbox can control, than what it can display. Those menus will, of course, be shown through the pass through just like anything else that come out of the cablebox. He is asking if the Xbox one can interface with recorded programs or On Demand. If it can't, then you will need to pick up your remote to navigate those functions. Which does undercut the whole "One media box to rule them all" message.

He specifically mentions not being able to access HBO On Demand, so that's not the same thing. There's no reason you won't be able to control the interface through the Xbox One. Anything a remote can do can be replicated on the Xbox One. Plus there are other posts specifically mentioning switching inputs to gain access. Heck IHaveCandy in this very thread is clearly confused on the ability to access the DVR. There are a lot of people who seem to think you won't have access to the cable/satellite box interface and will have to switch to that input in order to use it.

nubbe

Say Linda, can this shit so stuff?
Why, yes Steven, our stuff is the best shit.

cringe worthy infomercial about a cable box

No different then when Sony pretending their '05 demos were legit and you had people aggressively defending them.

You'd have thought MS would have taken notes from Sony and not done a mock/fake presentation.

My confidence in the OS is pretty much shattered, and I say this as one of the few who thought it was really impressive. You dun f'd up MS.

I think there's a world of a difference between a high end 3d graphic heavy game and a GUI. The biggest concern is how slow it is, and that's easily a part of the optimization phase. There's nothing in the GUI that should be hard to replicate. It's like you're trying to say that the GUI is just as intensive as a game when it comes to taxing the system.

Top Bottom