• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

PJV3

Ah well, on the UK adverts they can just put 'sequences shortened' if it doesn't improve much.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Because the UI has to wait, or be dependant on the correlating signal and information from the DVR/TV Tuner, at least with respect to the TV functions. If the Xbox One had it all built in, I could believe it, but because it's going to rely somewhat on third party hardware, I don't believe it will ever be as silky smooth as they pretended in the conference.

I don't follow at all why waiting for the DVR to change channels would ipso facto make the UI sluggish. They could just have a blank box in the preview windows box thing while the Xbone waits for the signal from the DVR/TV Tuner. Why is it any different to waiting for a YouTube video to load, for instance?

These are genuine questions, I'm no tech expert.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah. As much as I can't stand the Xbox One at the moment, even I know this isn't going to be the state it releases in.

I think the more legitimate thing to be up in arms over is them showing a 'faked' version (without informing everyone it was simply a proof of concept), which to me is no better than Sony showing Killzone CG and claiming it was realtime.

Yeah, that's really surprising to me.

jckIgOP.gif
ibqdrfIUSn00AV.gif

Um...they got a ways to go.

tranciful

Do other industries fake stuff like this? When Apple demonstrates how fast something happens on one of their devices, I have a feeling they're actually showing how fast something happens on one of their devices.

If it's just a concept demonstration, I feel like it'd be better to show a video labeled "concept demonstration" instead of getting some guy on stage to fake it in real time literally lying about how quick and responsive it is.

An early build of software looks unfinished? Shocking news.

The design doesn't look like its catering for core gamers at all, it just looks so, bleh, looks like some pretentious little interactive kiosk at a futurist furniture convention. It's too similar to Metro, by the time everyone uses Windows 8, you will come back from pounding spreadsheets all day relaxing in front of the same GUI, you will probably end up dead in months after this, this GUI is evil.

QaaQer

Man, it truly is amazing how some posters completely ignore the logical posts of why the Ones OS is at its current state. The either truly expect it to be completely finished and running smooth as silk months before launch, and on an early build no less, or... their trolling. I'll assume the latter.

who are you replying to? I haven't seen anyone saying that.

An early build of software looks unfinished? Shocking news.
When your announcement is centered around [pretending] how fast and snappy your new system is, when the new feature you're touting is how rapidly you can switch input and seamlessly integrate with live television, you don't see how it's incredibly disingenuous?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah. As much as I can't stand the Xbox One at the moment, even I know this isn't going to be the state it releases in.

I think the more legitimate thing to be up in arms over is them showing a 'faked' version (without informing everyone it was simply a proof of concept), which to me is no better than Sony showing Killzone CG and claiming it was realtime.

Essentially if they were running a PC game and claiming it was realtime PS360.

They should have just said, "this is an early prototype" and been done with it. Not a huge deal, but a tad deceptive.

RobbieH

I can certainly see the argument that it's not done yet -- I know how software development works.

However, focusing so much on the responsiveness of your interface during a presentation that is entirely faked is a bit rich.

"Yes, that fast, did you see how instant it was? Come on, it was so good let's see that again."

dat instant switching

Hey look, someone who doesn't know anything about software development criticizing it like an expert.

I won't deny I don't know a lot about software development, but this is their big feature. Their big hook, the thing that will differentiate them from the competition and the fact that it's a choppy mess isn't exactly encouraging.

In fact, choppy is somewhat of an understatement, it looks like it's struggling like my old PC used to due to poor memory and overheating. I'm sure they'll work out the kinks before launch, but it doesn't fill anyone with confidence seeing that.

JABEE

This is especially damning, because the only thing impressive about there presentation was how quickly you could bring those things up and switch inputs. If there is no hardware/software combo that Microsoft has to actually demo it, then it is another Milo.

I can understand not doing a live demo in front of a large audience of people due to interruptions and registering difficulties, but to do that and not even have a model that works the way shown at the presentation or even close to demo quality in a perfect environment is fraudulent. They suckered the public and tech community.

VanWinkle

You expect unfinished UI since it's still a good 4 to 5 months to release, but I still didn't expect it to be THAT bad. I mean, my goodness, they dedicated 3GB RAM to the OS!

Paches

I kind of assumed it was fake because of HOW smooth it was. Their mistake was actually showing the real thing before it was finished. I really hope that if we get some kind of same demo at the MS conference at E3, one of the gaming outlets there asks the MS reps there if that demo was in real time or pre-recorded footage.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I won't deny I don't know a lot about software development, but this is their big feature. Their big hook, the thing that will differentiate them from the competition and the fact that it's a choppy mess isn't exactly encouraging.

In fact, choppy is somewhat of an understatement, it looks like it's struggling like my old PC used to due to poor memory and overheating. I'm sure they'll work out the kinks before launch, but it doesn't fill anyone with confidence seeing that.
Complain when it doesnt work like this on launch day. Not now.

When your announcement is centered around [pretending] how fast and snappy your new system is, when the new feature you're touting is how rapidly you can switch input and seamlessly integrate with live television, you don't see how it's incredibly disingenuous?

Are you suggesting the final build won't be slick?

nib95

Banned
I don't follow at all why waiting for the DVR to change channels would ipso facto make the UI sluggish. They could just have a blank box in the preview windows box thing while the Xbone waits for the signal from the DVR/TV Tuner. Why is it any different to waiting for a YouTube video to load, for instance?

These are genuine questions, I'm no tech expert.

No, that's exactly what I'm saying is going to happen. Or at least I think the final version is going to be like. UI will probably be a good degree quicker than it is in the OP's video (not as quick as the conference video), but the actual video content will always be somewhat sluggish or lag behind, dependant on the DVR itself.

The complaint here was that everything in the Microsoft conference was instant, including the Live TV and video etc. The stuff that you yourself acknowledge there very likely will be delays for. That's the disingenuous part from Microsoft.

Deuterium

My good man, AmirOx...that was a rather fair and balanced assessment by yourself. By the way, I do enjoy your posts, and the passion you have for the industry and our past-time. Keep the faith, brother.

In the interests of full disclosure...at this point, I plan on getting both the Xbox One and the PS4, at each respective launch.

Is there a chance the One could be postponed? Anyone know if, historically, any consoles were pushed back? Or is that just not going to be allowed to happen?

dejay

Banned

This video of the UI was released the same day as the reveal, along with the Kinect hands on (hands off?) demo.

I'm sure it was discussed in the last "SHOCK NEWS: the presentation was fake" thread.

Yeah, the OS is worked on until the last possible moment for launch. It's software and no different than all of the game software that demos unoptimized until release. Given the history of consoles launches, it wouldn't be surprising if they don't even have final hardware to demo yet. Thing is, they set themselves for quick and responsive operation at launch with that presentation. So, now we have a mark to expect getting hit at release and so does MS.

Dramos

I'm pretty sure the engineers at MS know how to find a solution for all of these lag issues before launch. My question is did anyone notice the lady mentioning Halo at the 0:53 mark?

...whether you're playing Halo...

HALO ?!?!

Complain when it doesnt work like this on launch day. Not now.

True, but this was one of the very few features that genuinely impressed me at the reveal. To see it in its current state kinda kills a lot of the confidence I had in the OS and its features.

We'll see what it looks like at launch though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The complaint here was that everything in the Microsoft conference was instant, including the Live TV and video etc. The stuff that you yourself acknowledge there very likely will be delays for. That's the disingenuous part from Microsoft.

Oh, completely. The disingenuous bit was the fact that it was all faked and they were commenting on how snappy it was etc. But we already knew all that. I thought the point of this thread was to make the claim that the UI is actually a total mess.

You expect unfinished UI since it's still a good 4 to 5 months to release, but I still didn't expect it to be THAT bad. I mean, my goodness, they dedicated 3GB RAM to the OS!

If the UI has to wait for the actual content to appear, it's going to be slow. As I've said, anyone with Directv knows how shitty it is. Changing channels can take upwards of 5 seconds. If there's a problem with the speed of the UI, this was the dumbest example to choose. Show one where they're loading Skype, or an app on the XB1. If it's still slow, there's a problem. Showing Directv footage loading as an example to prove the UI is slow just isn't very smart.

Gammacide

From everything we have heard, development of games and the OS are 6 months or so behind schedule, yeah? So it is not surprising this is how it looks IRL, but I still cannot stand when presenters stoop to such levels as canned audience cheering and 100% faked demos. If it is a target, PLEASE SAY SO and don't mislead EVERYONE.

Mxrz

No.

You don't get to put such an emphasis on the speed and flow of your OS, then have its revealed to all be faked with video, and then go "Well, clearly the real one is still in development!" without looking completely stupid.

That build is 7 months old, which means by the time the Xbox One is released it will be 13 months of development time added on to that build. They probably shouldn't have showed it like that, but it's not something to be concerned about.

What does 3GB of RAM have to do with the performance here?

Amir0x

Banned
Essentially if they were running a PC game and claiming it was realtime PS360.

They should have just said, "this is an early prototype" and been done with it. Not a huge deal, but a tad deceptive.

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. Every company has been guilty of it at some point (except, to Nintendo's credit, I don't think they've done this very often). I just think they should have labeled it like you said, "Proof of concept" or "prototype" and then this thread would be more like "man, I hope they have enough time to smooth out the kinks before launch."

My good man, AmirOx...that was a rather fair and balanced assessment by yourself. By the way, I do enjoy your posts, and the passion you have for the industry and our past-time. Keep the faith, brother.

In the interests of full disclosure...at this point, I plan on getting both the Xbox One and the PS4, at each launch.

Thanks. I hope the systems change their mind about certain things so you can more fully enjoy the platforms you purchase at launch :)

Top Bottom