• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse confirmed running native at 900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't buy the "cinematic" argument, but at least they have a 1:1 pixel mapping and don't have to do any upscaling.

That's what I came in to say regarding The Order. You have the black bars but the rendering of what visible is the way it's supposed to be.

I don't know what to think of this but there is obviously some compromise happening if they have to have the game running at 900p instead of 1080p.

I was told that TitanFall might have the same "issue".

You have to assume that the Xbones specs weren't enough to Crytek to get this to 1080p.

eshwaaz

Why are so many people using the "it's a launch game" excuse? As others have said, the use of sub-720 resolutions became more common throughout the current generation, not less. That we're seeing multiple sub-1080 Xbox One exclusives out of the gate is not a good sign.

Jack cw

It is a much better solution, assuming a person has a nice big TV.
1-15-09-philips-21-9-cinema.jpg

velociraptor

The weird ultra wide resolution for The Order (whilst stupid) is clearly a decision choice. You don't downgrade to such a resolution so early in the development life cycle lol. I mean, the game is still probably over a year from release....
It's a stupid design choice. I want a full image. While I like movies with black bars, this is a game, not a movie. It's important that I take in as much visual information as posssible!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That's what I came in to say regarding The Order. You have the black bars but the rendering of what visible is the way it's supposed to be.

Dat next-gen black bars will give me at least some nostalgic memories of NTSC-to-PAL converted games.

pixlexic

Banned
Just wanted to add that you can still have 1920 horizontal resolution with 900. It doesn't have to scale uniformly down.

I guess hoping for 1080p (native) and 60fps games was just wishful thinking when it came to consoles. Seems like both the PS4 and XBox One are both going to struggle to maintain that benchmark for most games even though the PC has been doing it for years.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Just wanted to add that you can still have 1920 horizontal resolution with 900. It doesn't have to scale uniformly down.

Talking about some number with a "p" suffix only makes sense if you assume a fixed aspect ratio (of 16:9).

Durante

That would be a strange decision. something like 1280x1080 would actually make more sense if you're going for anamorphic rendering.

pixlexic

Banned
I guess hoping for 1080p (native) and 60fps games was just wishful thinking when it came to consoles. Seems like both the PS4 and XBox One are both going to struggle to maintain that benchmark for most games even though the PC has been doing it for years.

PC has been doing it for years because you have choices to cut back setting or increase hardware. It's not like everyone in the world with a PC can play all game full setting at high resolutions.

This really does bum me out. Ryse though mediocre from a gameplay perspective was the only game in Xbox that made me excited about the potential visuals the system will hang with. If they are already making concessions it's not necessarily indicative of the platform as a whole but I feel like this isn't going to be a one time case.

Has KKRT or whatever weighed in? He knows a lot about Cryeks engine

But you probably still played and enjoyed it. Like GOW3 (which judders horribly, just pan the camera around with the right stick to really notice it). There, you see.

It does? I don't remember seeing that ever.

stryke

This really does bum me out. Ryse though mediocre from a gameplay perspective was the only game in Xbox that made me excited about the potential visuals the system will hang with. If they are already making concessions it's not necessarily indicative of the platform as a whole but I feel like this isn't going to be a one time case.

Has KKRT or whatever weighed in? He knows a lot about Cryeks engine

He has...and he's pissed.

REV 09

It's sad how fast negative Xbone threads blow up here. Somewhat disappointing news though, but Ryse still looks great visually.

QaaQer

Yeah, I really want to be hyped for new consoles. But I guess I've spoiled myself. I've been trying to hype myself up because of hUMA and 8GB GDDR, but realistically that only matters in comparison to xb1. Compared to PC, PS4 would have been special, what maybe 4 years ago?

PS360 were pretty close to top end when they released. Ah, good times.

oVerde

Banned
You are mixing up a few things. General console war is shitty regardless of any arguments but people should actually read about a specific topic before they post. Thats why all this misinformation in here exists. The Order runs at lower vertical resolution because they wanted to have the cinemascope 2,4:1 ratio. The PS4 nor the TV wont "upscale" the image to fit the 1080p frame. It will run with 1920x800 pixel. So all you get are black bars. The game remains crisp and isnt interpolated through scaling. These are entirley different things. The image of the Order remains untouched while the image of Ryse will be affected through the scaling which results in artifacts, jaggies and a blurry image.
Black bars? Are we 2002 or something? This is not pre HD era, shit constraints are shit.

Demon Ice

Banned
Amazing that an exclusive can't even get full 1080p30 on the XB1. Hell, 900p would be acceptable if it were running at 60 FPS, but 900p30 is hilarious. Console isn't even out yet and it already has games settling for weird resolutions.

Overdelivering that value indeed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's sad how fast negative Xbone threads blow up here. Somewhat disappointing news though, but Ryse still looks great visually.

If the same thing happened with another platform then you would see the same. See The Order 1866 thread about the choice to do the black bars but as was noted earlier, that is more 1:1 mapping than what Ryse is doing so The Order will look pretty clean compared to a 900p game.

Get ready because there are other games that are making concessions on Xbone.

People saying that "The game looked great before and no one was complaining" in a effort to downplay this are misleading themselves. We're all making judgements of the IQ based on compressed videos that are running on a monitor screen. Once on your tv a 1080p and a 900p up scaled are going to look very different.

Portugeezer

Yeah, I really want to be hyped for new consoles. But I guess I've spoiled myself. I've been trying to hype myself up because of hUMA and 8GB GDDR, but realistically that only matters in comparison to xb1. Compared to PC, PS4 would have been special, what maybe 4 years ago?

4 years ago? Don't let the Gaf reactions fool you. PS4 is more comparable to high end PC specs about 2 years ago (the 7850 which people compare PS4 to came out 18 months ago), which is not so bad when you realise how long this gen has been going for.

PC has been doing it for years with last gen graphics. Not that Ryse is impressive by PC standards (only budget for things such as facial animation and whatnot is better), but I don't think the PS4 will have as many problems as Xbone in resolution.

60fps was always a pipe dream.

jaaz

Here's something to cheer you up: I own both consoles and a gaming PC. No game this year in PC came close for me to the masterpiece that is TLoU. During the game I never thought, "wow, this game would look better on my PC".

Consoles and PCs are different. I try to enjoy and celebrate the differences rather than spend my time comparing them.

Seems studios are more interested in fidelity then resolution or fps for these launch / launch window titles.

I fully expect come early 2015 90% of titles to be 1080x60fps ( solid 30 w no drops ). Could chalk it up to guys building games are pretty much unfinished devkits with unfinished API's and bad development cycles throughout the dev process for these launch / launch window titles

Pretty disappointed though. Especially for Crytek.

Chobel

People saying that "The game looked great before and no one was complaining" in a effort to downplay this are misleading themselves. We're all making judgements of the IQ based on compressed videos that are running on a monitor screen. Once on your tv a 1080p and a 900p up scaled are going to look very different.

I kind of accepted KI being less than 1080p, but I'm not down with this. Ryse was supposed to be a showcase game. If the new consoles aren't going to do 1080p games, I'm out. I'm not spending this much on them if the most basic, expected improvement is a problem.

Mohonky

Saw this thread when it had 2 posts.....knew where it was going from there.

This shit is already old. Even after 8 years we're still squabbling over trivial differences with games like GTA V on 360 and PS3.

QaaQer

If the same thing happened with another platform then you would see the same. See The Order 1866 thread about the choice to do the black bars but as was noted earlier, that is more 1:1 mapping than what Ryse is doing so The Order will look pretty clean compared to a 900p game.

Get ready because there are other games that are making concessions on Xbone.

haha, yeah. Wii U and PS4 aren't exempt from this. And when PC gets a shit port, shit ensues, see Dark Souls for example. Even that got a lot of hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom