• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Ryse confirmed running native at 900p

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT Slave

Banned
Its going to be 800p apparently. So, yeah both consoles look to be relatively weak compared to what we had in 05/06.

Oh well, its only another 8 years till nextnext gen.

Please stop. These launch games or launch window games are just scratching the surface of next gen hardware. Some of the issues we're seeing with Ryse or frame rate issues with Knack and Drive Club are all related to them being launch games originally developed on beta hardware. The compromises being made are being made to ship the games in November.

These threads are nothing but flamebait. Launch games aren't even close to showing us what these consoles are capable of. So using Occam's Razor I'll conclude that any compromises being made now are simply due to these titles being launch games. That is unless someone can convince me that Call of Duty 2 was indicative of what we should have expected from X360 hardware.

antic604

Banned
The Order is supposed to run at 1920 x 800 for the 2.40:1 ratio to get a cinematic feeling.

I don't buy the "cinematic" argument, but at least they have a 1:1 pixel mapping and don't have to do any upscaling.

The Order runs at lower vertical resolution because they wanted to have the cinemascope 2,4:1 ratio. The PS4 nor the TV wont "upscale" the image to fit the 1080p frame. It will run with 1920x800 pixel. So all you get are black bars.

1920x800 > 1600x900 :p

Gents, where was it said explicitly that the GAME - as opposed to CINEMATICS - will be at 1920x800? I can imagine that non-interactive parts will have top & bottom borders to create the movie-like feeling just like some of the games this gen had, where they'd gradually disappear as soon as control over the character is passed onto the gamer.

I kind of accepted KI being less than 1080p, but I'm not down with this. Ryse was supposed to be a showcase game. If the new consoles aren't going to do 1080p games, I'm out. I'm not spending this much on them if the most basic, expected improvement is a problem.

KI isn't 1080p! How is KI not 1080p? When did that happen that is shocking.

Saw this thread when it had 2 posts.....knew where it was going from there.

This shit is already old. Even after 8 years we're still squabbling over trivial differences with games like GTA V on 360 and PS3.

But the grass texture on the side of the highway looks bad when youturn the camera at a certain angle man. That's a dealbreaker.

Jack cw

Yes, a design gimmick to mask constraints.

Yes, thats how making games work ;)
lol I think there's a misunderstanding of GOW3. I think he talks about Gears of War 3 and not God of War 3?
Gears 3 is locked 30 fps, Gow 3 is unlocked ;)

Gents, where was it said explicitly that the GAME - as opposed to CINEMATICS - will be at 1920x800? I can imagine that non-interactive parts will have top & bottom borders to create the movie-like feeling just like some of the games this gen had, where they'd gradually disappear as soon as control over the character is passed onto the gamer.

That artwork shows what we have to expect (in terms of resolution)
xoNj5Eo.jpg

Skeff

Seems studios are more interested in fidelity then resolution or fps for these launch / launch window titles.

I fully expect come early 2015 90% of titles to be 1080x60fps ( solid 30 w no drops ). Could chalk it up to guys building games are pretty much unfinished devkits with unfinished API's and bad development cycles throughout the dev process for these launch / launch window titles

Pretty disappointed though. Especially for Crytek.

Your going to be in for disappointment my friend, 30fps/60 fps is and always will be a design decision, A lot of games will continue to choose 30fps to push the eye candy.

jhendrix

Banned
People saying that "The game looked great before and no one was complaining" in a effort to downplay this are misleading themselves. We're all making judgements of the IQ based on compressed videos that are running on a monitor screen. Once on your tv a 1080p and a 900p up scaled are going to look very different.

It is probably going to look a lot better than what we have seen in video form, no compression video artifacts and obviously much higher bandwidth in the actual game on our HDTV's then what is shown on any video, also the upscaling to 1080P is going to be better done in hardware than any upscaled 1080P youtube video.

It is silly to think it is somehow going to look worse on our home TV's. This is not a case of a downgrade from what has been previously shown but a clarification on the native res that the game has always been using.

jhendrix

Banned
lol I think there's a misunderstanding of GOW3. I think he talks about Gears of War 3 and not God of War 3?

Apparently to some saving 400-500$ over 5-8 years is worth the frustration and arguing to defend their purchase.

This gen I'm gladly forking over the extra 400-500$ to buy both consoles and avoid all frustration that goes along with being a one console warrior.

QaaQer

Here's something to cheer you up: I own both consoles and a gaming PC. No game this year in PC came close for me to the masterpiece that is TLoU. During the game I never thought, "wow, this game would look better on my PC".

Consoles and PCs are different. I try to enjoy and celebrate the differences rather than spend my time comparing them.

Totally true.

And sometimes more power = worse games because devs spend too much time and money on non-game stuff. One need only look at the expensive to make spectacle games on Vita vs gameplay games on 3ds to see this (uncharted, AssCreed, Killzone, etc. vs EOIV, Animal Crossing, SM3DL, Kid Icarus, etc).

Still, it would be nice to have 1080p + 60 fps + nice gfx, instead of just 2 out of three.

Pillville

Welcome to the new gen

Same resolutions
Same framerates
More DRM
More Online Requirements
More Required Subscriptions
More DLC
More Microtransactinos
More Non-Gaming features

This gen was designed for publishers, not gamers.

derFeef

Nope, the discussion was about God of War all along.

Gears doesn't even have an unlocked frame rate.

Well, do all participants in this side discussion know that? I think there is a misunderstanding somwhere in the middle. At least I hope so because wow.

gruenel

Well, do all participants in this side discussion know that? I think there is a misunderstanding somwhere in the middle. At least I hope so because wow.

Yes they do, I even spelt out "God of War 3" when the discussion started :p

See softie's post.

Jack cw

Yeah, but that's just that - an artwork, not the actual rendered game.

True. its just a mock up to show how it could look like. We have to wait till GDC or E3 to get some ingame stuff. But this is about launch titles and I think only Forza remained as native 1080p game... compared to the PS4 line up its a bit worrying.

Serenity

For those saying "but but the order" if they didn't intend for it to have black bars why wouldn't they just upscale the image like every other "HD" game and why would they come out and tell us the resolution instead of fudge the numbers or not talk about it. Even the concept art has black bars. They even said they are willing to change it if enough fuss is made. So please stop and in the end it doesn't change the fact that we were told 1080P for Ryse and we get 900P.

OT or maybe on but the DF article after E3 is looking even more silly. Apparently they just took Microsoft's word when it came to resolution and frame rate just like they did for the Esram speed increase.

Rapstah

OT or maybe on but the DF article after E3 is looking even more silly. Apparently they just took Microsoft's word when it came to resolution and frame rate just like they did for the Esram speed increase.

It's still weird for console manufacturers to even admit that render resolution is a thing that exists. I wouldn't have expected them to lie either.

Haunted

Does 180pees make that much of a difference? I still game on a 32inch 720p TV, lol.
If you're playing on a 720p TV, it won't make a difference to you, no. Just like resolution differences didn't matter to people playing the 360 and Wii on SD tube TVs in 2006.

Yeah this bummed me out real good a few weeks ago.

Yeah I see, why would he do that -.-

It just doesn't make sense surely that game could run at 1080. It's a perfect candidate for it.

All the time on PC and a couple on console;Yes Wipeout is pure bliss but once again this doesn't bother me.

After I played Wipeout the single most exciting thing to me about next gen was playing games with that IQ. It was the biggest enhancement to a game on my tv that I ever experienced. It's why this sub 1080 garbage is so lame to me. From what I hear it isn't the only big MS game that will be under 1080 and that just sucks.

Does 180pees make that much of a difference? I still game on a 32inch 720p TV, lol.

If your upgrading from a Wii you won't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom