• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've been looking to replace my XB360 controller which I've been using for almost eight years on my PC for like a year now, how much of an improvement is the new reversion of the controller over the earlier XBO versions like the black (which is currently $42.04) one on Amazon?
Pretty significant, the bumpers are significantly better, the 3.5mm jack could come in handy. The S controller also has Bluetooth, so another improvement. The extra $20 is easily worth it.
Man I am trying not to do impulse purchase lol

There is nothing wrong with my launch XOne, at least canadian pricing is doing decent job of not making me want to get it right away.

But man, this thing looks gorgeous.
Doooooo eeeeeeet.
I got ~$300 for my Kinect bundle from EB and only gotta add $150 to get the S ^.^

The S upscales games to 4K, does it not? So that should already be a noticeable difference compared to the Xbox One right?
It will look 99.99% the same as 1080p on a 1080p TV.

Ascenion

Also there is in-fighting about which HDR format will be accepted. Not all tvs can display HDR as it stands even though they advertise as such.

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-vs-hdr10-how-to-survive-the-hdr-tv-format-war/

I'm trying to pick up a new TV today. Honestly HDR10 seems like the safest bet. It's got the support. Based on that article all Blu-Ray discs and players gotta go HDR10 so if anything Dolby vision would be a bonus and the TV would support both.

Edit:
Not really. 4K TVs already upscale to 4K when accepting a 1080p signal. In this case the Xbox One S will just do the scaling instead.

To bounce off this, a lot of people think the resolution the TV displays should be 2160p or it isn't being up scaled. That isn't true, the TV only displays the signal it's receiving not necessarily what it displays depending on the model. Since the S does the upscaling itself then theoretically it should always be labeled as 2160p on the TV.

icespide

Banned
A physical button is more pets friendly.

Just ask owners of cats when they "touched" the button on the OG XB1 while you were in the middle of a game like an incursion in the The Division. Not funny!

MS already mentioned in an interview that those pet-issues were one of the reasons to go back to a physical button again!

I really hate touch sensitive buttons, I don't know they anyone insists on using them

SOR5

A physical button is more pets friendly.

Just ask owners of cats when they "touched" the button on the OG XB1 while you were in the middle of a game like an incursion in the The Division. Not funny!

MS already mentioned in an interview that those pet-issues were one of the reasons to go back to a physical button again!

Every excuse I get to post this

https://youtu.be/An6ZJHTQu0Q

The S upscales games to 4K, does it not? So that should already be a noticeable difference compared to the Xbox One right?

Not really. Should help with lag. Also remember that many Xbox One games aren't full 1080p. Scaling from those weird sub-1080p resolutions is not as clean as upscaling from 1080p.

Tomeru

So is the cpu/gpu in faster in this console? From what I understood, it's the same, yet some online websites are saying otherwise.

Caayn

Fun facts:

Kinect with the separate adapter uses 15w.

XB1 Halo 5 edition:
Boot-up time 1m5s.
Internal: Halo 5 loading mission Guardians 21s.
External: Forza Horizon 2 start screen to ingame 54s.
XB1 S:
Xbox One S boot-up time 57s.
Internal: Halo 5 loading mission Guardians 20s.
External: Forza Horizon 2 start screen to ingame 37s.
Also there is in-fighting about which HDR format will be accepted. Not all tvs can display HDR as it stands even though they advertise as such.

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-vs-hdr10-how-to-survive-the-hdr-tv-format-war/
Xbox One S uses HDR10, just like the vast majority of the entertainment industry.

TVs that support Dolby Vision can from a technical viewpoint automatically support HDR10, thus practically all Dolby Vision capable TV's you see also support HDR10. Either at launch or at a later date with a firmware update.
Correct, it'll upscale any non-4K content to 4K if you enable that option.

I prefer to have the XB1 S do the upscaling. So that sub-1080p content doesn't get upscaled twice. (Once to 1080p and the second time to 4K).

Lucifon

Fun facts:

Kinect with the separate adapter uses 15w.

XB1 Halo 5 edition:
Boot-up time 1m5s.
Internal: Halo 5 loading mission Guardians 21s.
External: Forza Horizon 2 start screen to ingame 54s.
XB1 S:
Xbox One S boot-up time 57s.
Internal: Halo 5 loading mission Guardians 20s.
External: Forza Horizon 2 start screen to ingame 37s.
Xbox One S uses HDR10, just like the vast majority of the entertainment industry.

TVs that support Dolby Vision can from a technical viewpoint automatically support HDR10, thus practically all Dolby Vision capable TV's you see also support HDR10. Either at launch or at a later date with a firmware update.
Correct, it'll upscale any non-4K content to 4K if you enable that option.

I prefer to have the XB1 S do the upscaling. So that sub-1080p content doesn't get upscaled twice. (Once to 1080p and the second time to 4K).

That difference in the external loading times is very interesting - what would cause this? Any chance you can do further testing?

Sanjuro

Has anyone had hands on with the new controller? Wondering if the upgrade from the V2 controller is worth it. Sounds like it's just Bluetooth and back grip.

Caayn

That difference in the external loading times is very interesting - what would cause this? Any chance you can do further testing?
Last one.

XB1 H5 edition:
Ryse Son of Rome Pax Romana 1m 5s.
Quantum Break Act 1 Part 3 1m 40s First time.
Quantum Break Act 1 Part 3 41s Secondtime.

XB1 S:
Ryse Son of Rome Pax Romana 1m
Quantum Break Act 1 Part 3 1m34s First time.
Quantum Break Act 1 Part 3 39s Second time.

Has anyone had hands on with the new controller? Wondering if the upgrade from the V2 controller is worth it. Sounds like it's just Bluetooth and back grip.
This is compared to a V2 controller. And the backgrip of course which feels nice.
Controller impressions:

The facebuttons are a little raised. Sticks feel a tiny bit stiffer. Guide button is lowered a bit so that's no longer raised above the plastic of the controller.

So just checking. My Vizio 4k tv now plays my OG X1 games with game mode on which I've heard turns the Vizio upscaler off to reduce lag. The question is with the output of the One S, would having game mode on matter now since the console will be doing the upscaling?

Caja 117

You should lookup your TV model and go to avsforums.com to get more help. Posting your TV model here would help also, so people can help you out.

Without knowing your model the root cause for your issues can be anything from cable you use, your TV settings or the HDMI port you used.

I dont get too much about this problem, I dont have a 4k tv, will I have problems setting up my XBOX S, I have regular LED TV and a LED 24 inch monitor, would I have problem because of this?

I am so hyped to play Ori when I get one of these things. It has been on my wishlist for so long.

Release Below soon, Capy!
Same here. I've been waiting to play Ori for a long time. I picked it up during the most recent sale and I've already told myself Ori is going to be the first game I beat on the system.
So just checking. My Vizio 4k tv now plays my OG X1 games with game mode on which I've heard turns the Vizio upscaler off to reduce lag.
Whoever told you this is horribly msinformed. Game Mode removes all additional extraneous processing (DNR filtering, motion enhancement, etc.), but does not prevent the HDTV from upscaling.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Controller impressions:

Sticks feel a tiny bit stiffer.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG if they increased the resistance a little bit, that would be really fantastic. The regular sticks are juuuuuuuuuuust a tiny little bit too loose.

Doooooo eeeeeeet.
I got ~$300 for my Kinect bundle from EB and only gotta add $150 to get the S ^.^

HUH? I either need to catch up on trade in values, or I'm missing a vital piece of info from your post because I have the same bundle, and thought $200 was the limit (time-limited to a particular retailer in the US, which I missed of course) for trade in.

etta

my hard graphic balls
HUH? I either need to catch up on trade in values, or I'm missing a vital piece of info from your post because I have the same bundle, and thought $200 was the limit (time-limited to a particular retailer in the US, which I missed of course) for trade in.
No we're both Canadian, that's our trade in value.

What do I got to do to my xbox one (orginal 500 gb with Kinect) to trade it in? I want to make sure my credit card informaition is not on it anymore.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG if they increased the resistance a little bit, that would be really fantastic. The regular sticks are juuuuuuuuuuust a tiny little bit too loose.

It could be the difference between a used and new controller, being a little firmer on the new pad.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It could be the difference between a used and new controller, being a little firmer on the new pad.
Maybe, personally I've never had that happen to me on Xbox One controllers, the sticks getting looser with usage. Caayn looks like he takes good care of his electronics, too.

Whoever told you this is horribly msinformed. Game Mode removes all additional extraneous processing (DNR filtering, motion enhancement, etc.), but does not prevent the HDTV from upscaling.

Wow. That is definitely good to know. So it still would be a a good idea to leave the setting on when playing games on the One S.

EvB

So just checking. My Vizio 4k tv now plays my OG X1 games with game mode on which I've heard turns the Vizio upscaler off to reduce lag. The question is with the output of the One S, would having game mode on matter now since the console will be doing the upscaling?

I would leave it on, you will still have the TV processing everything for image qualtiy rather than low latency if you turn it off.

THE:MILKMAN

Xbox One Halo 5 edition - FW 1608.160729-1700
45w - dashboard - no disc
99w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

Xbox One S - FW 1608.160725-1822
31w - dashboard - no disc
64w - Forza Motorsport 6 Forzavista

The Netherlands.
Video settings are detailed in this and this video. As for audio, I don't see any new settings.

Based Caayn! Finally. Thanks for doing this so quick.

The figures are nice and low for both but I'm confused by what they're telling me. A 25W reduction in-game suggests a 20nm shrink to me? I know it isn't apples to apples but the PS4 reduced power by up to 30W for games whilst on the same 28nm process between the launch and CUH-1200 model.

Hopefully iFixit/Chipworks tear one down in a few days. Or Microsoft could just say.....

Colbert

Banned
I dont get too much about this problem, I dont have a 4k tv, will I have problems setting up my XBOX S, I have regular LED TV and a LED 24 inch monitor, would I have problem because of this?

Nothing has changed compared to the OG Xbox One regarding 1080p TVs and Monitors. If there was no issue before there is no issue now!

Every excuse I get to post this

https://youtu.be/An6ZJHTQu0Q

Hilarious! LOL! Not possible anymore with a physical button :)

Colbert

Banned
Based Caayn! Finally. Thanks for doing this so quick.

The figures are nice and low for both but I'm confused by what they're telling me. A 25W reduction in-game suggests a 20nm shrink to me? I know it isn't apples to apples but the PS4 reduced power by up to 30W for games whilst on the same 28nm process between the launch and CUH-1200 model.

Hopefully iFixit/Chipworks tear one down in a few days. Or Microsoft could just say.....

Mike Ybarra already said on Discord that the SOC was shrinked.

qVIR3bf.png

Xenoflare

Uhhhhh anyone preordered from the Microsoft store? I did and I have not received any notifications but the store told me that once the release date approaches I'll get an notification

Mad max, star trek into darkness and now watching till the end batman vs superman ultimate edition.

The best looking one of those three was mad max since it's the most colorful.

Some. Pictures I took with my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge in hdr mode.

http://imgur.com/a/2CpUg

Ugh...you guys are really tempting to get this thing and I don't even have a 4K TV yet (planning on picking up one later this year).

Damn you all!

THE:MILKMAN

Mike Ybarra already said on Discord that the SOC was shrinked.

qVIR3bf.png

Yes, I saw that but it doesn't say to what and I missed what the question was.I asked the question myself while Mike Ybarra was posting and the question was ignored while he answered others.

Colbert

Banned
Yes, I saw that but it doesn't say to what and I missed what the question was.I asked the question myself while Mike Ybarra was posting and the question was ignored while he answered others.

It was an answer to a question about the Xbox One S. Unfortunately I did not capture the question and I am now to lazy to find it again.

Top Bottom