• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

PSA

To anyone who ordered from Amazon.com I suggest you check your orders.

I had pre-ordered back in June and just noticed it had two day shipping with prime.

Not release day delivery like normally we have come to expect.

That is a one business day option for additional $12.

So you may be expecting and not get shit tomorrow.

I changed it and will receive tomorrow.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone tested the screenshot function? They should be coming out at 4K. Currently the other display setting resolutions affect screenshots.

Would give us an idea of the scaling. Preferably anyone who wanted to test try it out on 1080p games.

I just preordered my gears xbone S.
Couldnt resist.

Dont own an xbone currently,love gears and dont care about scorpio. It was made for me

Caayn

Anyone tested the screenshot function? They should be coming out at 4K. Currently the other display setting resolutions affect screenshots.

Would give us an idea of the scaling. Preferably anyone who wanted to test try it out on 1080p games.
Screenshot taken when the system is set to 4K are stored in 1080p.

XB1 set to 4K said:
4khcecaaynsjbmq.png
XB1 set to 1080p said:
No just wondering what my tv info display will be showing from the One S when gaming. I already know native 4k gaming won't be happening until Scorpio.
It'll upscale all content (including games) to 4K if you want it.
If they do it'll be in short supply. Sounds like the 2TB SKU is coming mainly from pre orders.
The store I bought mine at only received 2 units.

THE:MILKMAN

Who said to you its 20nm? Does AMD even have a 20nm process?

Not sure if 20nm is a thing for non-mobile chips but AMD don't make chips they design them, right?

It would be up to Microsoft to then get a foundry to fab it?

Colbert said:
It was an answer to a question about the Xbox One S. Unfortunately I did not capture the question and I am now to lazy to find it again.

Don't worry about it! It is only a little thing. I'm more curious why Microsoft have been so secretive about it. We now know thanks to Caayn that it uses around 64W while gaming which is very nice TBH and would be a miracle if still on 28nm...

I should trade in my launch XB1 before the resale value plummets. Soon it will be worth peanuts, happens with all launch consoles after a slim revision is released.

Colbert

Banned
Not sure if 20nm is a thing for non-mobile chips but AMD don't make chips they design them, right?

No matter who fabs it the silicon design has to support the node process. I never heard of a process for AMD silicon that used anything 20nm. To my knowledge they planned to use it but then skipped it in favor of FinFET 14nm as NVIDIA did in favor of 16nm FinFET.

dcx4610

Okay thanks. Just saw it was $40 so I think I may try and hold off until MS can send it. Will call ASAP tomorrow once I have my S in hand.

Happy Wife = Happy Life
She already hates the cheap look of the consoles overall, and I cannot say I really disagree with her especially in this particular instance. The white is going to throw everything off. The top center of my entertainment center houses the front speaker for my surround sound, and the shelves underneath do not have centers, just a left and right, so it means it is going to be way off balance with one white brick on the left hand side top. For people that care about stuff like interior decorating, which my wife does, it is pretty shit to have the balance thrown off like that. Simply put, it would have been nice to have an option in color and ones that did not include the awful graphics of the Halo and Gears consoles.
I also happen to think black and white is about the worst combination for furniture there is. Just a personal opinion after all but have never been a fan. But I digress.

Black and white looks awesome to me. Patrick Bateman's apartment from American Psycho:

attachment.php

dcx4610

Anyone that has the One S and the new controller. Have any of you tried it on PC/SteamLink/Phone, etc yet?

The controller supposedly still uses WiFi direct for the Xbox One but can use Bluetooth for other devices. Is there a way to turn the controller on in Bluetooth mode only without it powering on the Xbox when you hit the power button?

I'm trying to decide if I need a 2nd controller or can just use the console one for everything.

jelly

Don't worry about it! It is only a little thing. I'm more curious why Microsoft have been so secretive about it. We now know thanks to Caayn that it uses around 64W while gaming which is very nice TBH and would be a miracle if still on 28nm...

I thought AMD skipped 20nm like everybody else.

There was news that an AMD engineer finalised work on 20nm design a while ago but if foundries are on 14nm who will make it?

Colbert

Banned
Can the Xbox One S play 4K MKV files?

There are reports that a version of the VLC media player will be an UWP app and be available for Xbox One. So I guess the moment the VLC media player is available on the Xbox One almost all media formats will be playable there.

Broman1978

Didn´t Microsoft say that all games that runs at a dynamic resolution will be permanently 1080p with the Xbox One S? If so, why can´t ALL developers make games at a dynamic resolution from now on? :)

Proelite

Any improvements to performance of existing games? Especially the ones with dynamic events, framerate problems, screen tearing etc.

dLMN8R

Didn´t Microsoft say that all games that runs at a dynamic resolution will be permanently 1080p with the Xbox One S? If so, why can´t ALL developers make games at a dynamic resolution from now on? :)

No, this is from Phil when he was talking about Scorpio on the Giant Bombcast streams during E3.

Specifically, he was saying that you shouldn't buy Scorpio just to make your old games run better because most don't use dynamic scaling. But that, for the few games which do use dynamic scaling, they'd see a significant benefit.

For the Xbox One S, Phil and others have explicitly stated that no one should expect any performance improvements for existing games. Maybe they're there anyway, but probably not.

THE:MILKMAN

No matter who fabs it the silicon design has to support the node process. I never heard of a process for AMD silicon that used anything 20nm. Thats behind my question.

I just thought it was Microsoft give AMD a bunch of money and say: redesign this chip for 20nm, kthx!

If 20nm is ruled out that leaves 14nm (disappointing with 'just' a 25W saving) or 28nm which goes against Mike Ybarra's comment. Halving wattage at 28nm over launch would be hella impressive, though.

jelly said:
I thought AMD skipped 20nm like everybody else.

There was news that an AMD engineer finalised work on 20nm design a while ago but if foundries are on 14nm who will make it?
Today 07:49 PM

Not sure how this would work but 20nm does exist at TSMC: http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/20nm.htm

Whether it could be used to shrink the One's SoC from 363mm2 I don't know. Then there is that VRWorld journalist that stated that both Sony and Microsoft passed on forking out millions of $ to redesign Jaguar from the ground up (rather than a simple shrink) for 14nm FinFet.

AP90

There are reports that a version of the VLC media player will be an UWP app and be available for Xbox One. So I guess the moment the VLC media player is available on the Xbox One almost all media formats will be playable there.

Very cool

Top Bottom