• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

I wish they'd hurry up and fix the Xbox Netflix app - forces HDR on all content.

Meanwhile regular none-Xbox Netflix has a problem (at least here in the UK) that Darefevil Season 2 should be in Dolby Vision, but isn't. Reported to Netflix, they say they are aware and are working on it.

Felensis

Banned
X850C owner as well, it works great. Various forums point to leaving the HDR settings as is for best visual appearance.

As for 4K movies, Revenant is probably the most mindblowing I've seen. Check blu-ray.com as they have reviews and individual forum threads for each release. Personally I liked TMNT: Out of the Shadows and WarCraft, but I'll also point to Mad Max and BvS: Dawn of Justice. What I really can't wait for though is Pacific Rim, that will hopefully be amazing.

Thanks for the fast response!

Will get Revenant since the wifey and me were blown away when we watched the movie in cinema. Oh boy I'm so excited, can't wait to get this thing, hook it up and finally get to play Forza Horizon 3, Recore and Gears 4 + 4K UHD movies!

Will report back here with first impressions later today.

GAF in about 30mins I'm going to get one of the last Xbox One S 2TB packs from a local retailer with Forza Horizon 3 and Recore. Gears 4 will follow later this week. Can't wait to get my hands on this sexy beast!

Any 4K reference recommendations? I've heard Deadpool and Revenant are best quality 4K/HDR material?

I have a Sony 4K TV X8505C. Anybody with the same? Does it fulfill the One S requirements for 4K/HDR?

X-Men Apocalypse is one if the best, and best buy is having a buy 1 get the 2nd half off on all UHD discs.

SpeedNut

So I won a 2TB One S at Ignite a week or so ago, and now have a regular One 500GB Day 1 and the S. Any good TIV deals for the One? Only thing I could find is about $130 on Amazon. If the simultaneous login on the same network situation was better I would think about keeping both, but right now it's just a PITA switching between rooms in my house. Did get my free Kinect adapter cable, easy peasy process.

Vuze

GAF in about 30mins I'm going to get one of the last Xbox One S 2TB packs from a local retailer with Forza Horizon 3 and Recore. Gears 4 will follow later this week. Can't wait to get my hands on this sexy beast!

Any 4K reference recommendations? I've heard Deadpool and Revenant are best quality 4K/HDR material?

I have a Sony 4K TV X8505C. Anybody with the same? Does it fulfill the One S requirements for 4K/HDR?
The Shallows is supposed to be crazy good material too. Got praise to the extent that I ordered it from the US last week (not available in EU yet it seems but import was probably cheaper than EU prices anyway lol). Interested in the movie per se too, can't wait. First UHD BD.
I wish they'd hurry up and fix the Xbox Netflix app - forces HDR on all content.

Meanwhile regular none-Xbox Netflix has a problem (at least here in the UK) that Darefevil Season 2 should be in Dolby Vision, but isn't. Reported to Netflix, they say they are aware and are working on it.
Yeah, seems to be a global problem. Pretty annoying. Also since recently there is some anime that shows up when looking for HDR content which also isn't HDR (not sure if it's intended to). Also an own category like UHD would be nice too...

iMax

Anyone else getting an extremely dim picture in HDR Blu-rays?

The picture is as bright and colourful as you'd expect when viewing from the home screen with the Blu-ray app highlighted—but as soon as you select it and it zooms into the app, the brightness cuts by about 50%.

MoodyFog

Ay guys, quick question here:

As someone who has never played any of the gears of war games, what's the best way to buy the first three for my xbox one?

There isn't any compilation of the first 3 or even the 4, so I'd have to buy them on the online store or amazon right?
Also, the backward compatibility also works with CDS right, so if I buy the xbox 360 games on amazon it should work in my xbox one S?

Thanks in advance!

Chiggs

Gold Member

As someone who has never played any of the gears of war games, what's the best way to buy the first three for my xbox one?

There isn't any compilation of the first 3 or even the 4, so I'd have to buy them on the online store or amazon right?
Also, the backward compatibility also works with CDS right, so if I buy the xbox 360 games on amazon it should work in my xbox one S?

Thanks in advance!

I thought you got all 4 Gears of War games if you pre-ordered Gears of War 4? That's what I did at Best Buy.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/08/10/gears-of-war-4-pre-order-bonuses-detailed/

Finally, all pre-order customers will receive the entire Xbox 360 Gears of War collection for use on Xbox One. This includes all four previous games – Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment – and is available only as a limited time offer.
image: https://news.xbox.com/wp-content/uploads/Gears4PreOrderInline2.jpg

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Thanks in advance!

All the Gears games are BC so you should be fine. Probably can get them for cheap somewhere. Get the remaster of the first one for Xbox one.

piggychan

Damn, battery life is shit on this controller.

I think it drains a lot faster when using the headphone jack

yes I remember this even back on the 360 controllers when using the headphone jack.

I use these and think they are great.

26A9D1DB-F727-47F1-B176-348EA805A26B.jpg

New002

I hear the same. Since I already own Deadpool I ordered The Revenant 4k. Won't have my own S until the 21st though.

Opened mine today, nice console but the pad is absolutely awful. A button sticking from minute 1. Unacceptable really, what's the best way of getting this sorted? I'm not buying a brand new controller.

f@luS

More than a member.
Can anyone test 5.1 Dd or dts with a sound test from a Blu-ray ?

I have an issue which I have none on PS4

Front left right and center are ok. Rear left makes a soft noise or front left as well , as rear right with front right. Using the same test (any Pixar movie or Disney wow ) for PS4 is flawless. Not very disturbing but more like curiously annoying
Anyone ? :(

Has anyone had a problem with staying connected coming out of sleep mode (or from powered off entirely) with Ethernet? Every time I boot it up I have to unplug the cable, usually from both modem and One S, or reboot the modem, to get a connection. My OG Xbox One had no such problem and none of the other devices I own do either. It's the weirdest thing. Like it doesn't pull an IP or something. I look in my modem settings through the IP in the browser, and it shows as offline device even though it is plugged in and turned on. Really a pain in the ass to constantly have to mess with it every time I turn it on.

Contact Microsoft or go to their store. They will likely replace it.

I've decided even the console is making some sort of clicking noise, are the old ones silent? This is ridiculous, I'd rather have the older tech if it can work without fucking clicking at me constantly. What a joke, here we are ten years later yet even after the rrod fiasco, I'm having to get in contact with MS over faulty hardware. What an absolute disgrace.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
My Xbox One S just came in today. Got damn Microsoft design a beautiful console, the best looking console ever. I got the 500gb model because PS4 will always be my main console. Me and my brother are going to play through the whole Halo series again together and Gears Of War 4.

Got an Xbox One S for Forza Horizon 3! Plan on getting Sea of Thieves and Sunset Overdrive. My brother might get ReCore. My console also came with Halo 5 and a code for the MasterChief collection.

I haven't owned an Xbox in ten years. Haha.

I wish the OS was faster!

Called the Gamestop I bought it from and she told me to bring my controller in and she would just pull one off the wall and replace it.

They took a new package and opened it, gave me the new one, and kept the packaging so they could send it back to Microsoft and get credit for it.

New one doesn't stick so far. I wonder if its mainly with the ones in bundles.

im_dany

I have a weird problem with my new S console (which my fat one didn't, of course). It basically can't stay in instant-on for more than 1-2 hours. I noticed after the first day I used it, when it moved the games I wanted from the external to the internal but didn't download anything new. It doesn't even turn on from any of my two (S) controllers, and when I turn it on from the button it does the green loading screen like it's on energy saver. Tested it yesterday, turned it off and when I came back half an hour later it showed me like it had downloaded for only 10-15 minutes.

What I already did: set a static LAN IP, set it to DMZ, turned off the "turn off HDD when Xbox is off" option, changed to energy saver then again to instant on, did a hard reset through the settings (since you apparently can't from the button on the S).

Xenoflare

Um, I pressed the eject button to get the disc while it's on the boot screen in power save mode but it also somehow turned the console off, it has the off chime

I swear this is testing my patience, it's becoming the console that has the most hiccups that I ever owned. Not saying that I hate it now but it sure wasn't as great as I thought it would be

f@luS

More than a member.
I hear the same. Since I already own Deadpool I ordered The Revenant 4k. Won't have my own S until the 21st though.
I had to change twice my revenant uhd before giving up. Won't play correctly on Xbox one S.

Ovewall I'm disappointed by UHD. I've tried several movies (dead pool , xmen apocalypse for exemple ) putting uhd in Xbox and br in my PS4 and beside a better contrast and a bit pop popping colors I didn't see much the 4K benefit. And in was trying to Have my nose touching the tv almost. Either 1080p upscale is magnificent or 2160p is disappointing

If I already have a normal AA / AAA rechargeable battery charger, do I need to buy a new charger specifically for Eneloops? I know the Eneloops chargers can also charge normal AA and AAA batteries but can a normal AA / AAA charger recharge eneloops?

Basically trying to avoid buying another charger unless I need to.

If I already have a normal AA / AAA rechargeable battery charger, do I need to buy a new charger specifically for Eneloops? I know the Eneloops chargers can also charge normal AA and AAA batteries but can a normal AA / AAA charger recharge eneloops?

My Energizer charger works fine with eneloops. It seems to be a full charge as well.

keidashxd

Most chargers work with eneloop, you should try first before buying a new one.

Felensis

Banned
This thing is plain simply the sexiest console ever made. The S indeed must stand for 'Sexy'! -> http://imgur.com/a/VLZM4

Revenant in 4K/HDR is absolutely breathtaking! Wifey and me were blown away yesterday. First impression about the natural, crispy clear picture was that we both had the feeling to literally stand beside Leonardo in those fucking woods fighting with the Grizzly :eek:

OS is fine to me and doesn't feel slow so far, but installs instead are really taking forever (Forza Horizon 3: ~50 mins, ReCore ~25 mins) and store was slow as well, but that might be because Forza Horizon 3 was installing at the same time while me browsing through the store. Since it was too late yesterday I didn't play something, but today is games time!

Is it true that Xbox One doesn't support HDMI-CEC? I want to control the Xbox with my TV's remote, but that doesn't seem to work. Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC) doesn't discover the One S even though it's directly hooked up to the TV.

Bowevil

Anyone else having this problem? I have tried the steps from Microsoft support but I still am having trouble. Otherwise yes, this machine is sexy and quiet.

im_dany

I have a weird problem with my new S console (which my fat one didn't, of course). It basically can't stay in instant-on for more than 1-2 hours. I noticed after the first day I used it, when it moved the games I wanted from the external to the internal but didn't download anything new. It doesn't even turn on from any of my two (S) controllers, and when I turn it on from the button it does the green loading screen like it's on energy saver. Tested it yesterday, turned it off and when I came back half an hour later it showed me like it had downloaded for only 10-15 minutes.

What I already did: set a static LAN IP, set it to DMZ, turned off the "turn off HDD when Xbox is off" option, changed to energy saver then again to instant on, did a hard reset through the settings (since you apparently can't from the button on the S).

Just came back home and it's done it again. The external HDD is doing nothing, the controller doesn't turn on the console and pressing the button showed me the green loading screen. It wasn't even detected from the router as connected.

piggychan

Just came back home and it's done it again. The external HDD is doing nothing, the controller doesn't turn on the console and pressing the button showed me the green loading screen. It wasn't even detected from the router as connected.

Try doing a hard reset? hold the power button on the xbox one s for about 6-10 seconds till it powers off, wait a few minutes then switch back on and see if it helps ?

pieface

I get so much packet loss from this thing when playing online, which I didn't get on my old Xbox. The wireless chip is either rubbish or faulty.

I've decided even the console is making some sort of clicking noise, are the old ones silent? This is ridiculous, I'd rather have the older tech if it can work without fucking clicking at me constantly. What a joke, here we are ten years later yet even after the rrod fiasco, I'm having to get in contact with MS over faulty hardware. What an absolute disgrace.

Take a chill pill m8. I know it's frustrating to get a defective piece of tech, but that isn't representative of the hardware as a whole. If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, they're the best bet as they'll literally do a warranty swap right in the store. Just call ahead to make sure they have replacement units on-hand. Otherwise, the retailer you bought it from should have a return/exchange policy of some sort that will let you swap out the console within X amount of days.

Bumhead

Banned
Returned my S to the store yesterday regarding the buzzing/clicking fan noise. The possibility that they would hook it up in the store and it would work fine and totally silently for them did cross my mind, as a sort of cruel joke, but I never thought it would actually happen. Of course it ended up doing.

Took the console back home, plugged it in and yep - started again straight away for me at home. Absolutely livid. Recorded the noise though and just been back to exchange, which they were happy to on the strength of my video.

Hoping there are no hiccups with the new model. It's a gorgeous system and I just want to enjoy it without sounding like a broken lawnmower.

Fawk Nin

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I tried using my headset for the first time since getting the S and the game audio is comnig out of the TV and not the headset. In the settings I have it set to come from the headset.

Also, I can't hear other poeple in my party.

The system recognises that I have the headset in and sometimes the game audio will come from both the tv and the headset but it's really not working the way I thought it would.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Keys

In the bundle that came out today with Gears you get the physical copy of the game and also the digital one, don't think it's a mistake since other people are reporting it to too.

im_dany

Try doing a hard reset? hold the power button on the xbox one s for about 6-10 seconds till it powers off, wait a few minutes then switch back on and see if it helps ?

I did it but not from the button, from the console itself. I also tried turning it off completely and unplugging it from the power cord. If this night it doesn't download anything again, I'll probably bring it back because I'm almost fully digital and need to be able to use instant on :/

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I tried using my headset for the first time since getting the S and the game audio is comnig out of the TV and not the headset. In the settings I have it set to come from the headset.

Also, I can't hear other poeple in my party.

The system recognises that I have the headset in and sometimes the game audio will come from both the tv and the headset but it's really not working the way I thought it would.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
It happened to me on saturday before I changed to a S model, so I don't think that's the problem. When we were in party chat (was raiding on Destiny), no problem. Once we had to move to game chat, I had their voices coming out from both the headset and the TV.

iMax

The picture is as bright and colourful as you'd expect when viewing from the home screen with the Blu-ray app highlighted—but as soon as you select it and it zooms into the app, the brightness cuts by about 50%.

Anyone having this issue?

I have to play around with it but my guess is the UI displays with HDR off, and when viewing stuff in non-HDR mode everything looks way brighter at the same picture settings

iMax

I have to play around with it but my guess is the UI displays with HDR off, and when viewing stuff in non-HDR mode everything looks way brighter at the same picture settings

I mean it looks thoroughly brand and disappointing unless I'm watching from the home screen :/

Top Bottom