• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Kind of staggering that the S runs just as cool and quiet as the OG despite being significantly smaller and having the internal power supply. Holy crap.

Really interested to see what they come up with in Scorpio.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Kind of staggering that the S runs just as cool and quiet as the OG despite being significantly smaller and having the internal power supply. Holy crap.

Really interested to see what they come up with in Scorpio.
It's not crazy, it's just what 28nm to 16nm does.

agentreza

Anybody know how much Microsoft store offers to trade in the OG Xbox one? I'm pretty tempted to upgrade but with scorpio coming out next year and gamestop's pathetic $100 trade in value, hard to do anything right now :(

Wounded

I'm sure HDR isn't working properly on my Xbox.

Everything is very washed out and not right looking. I've enabled Deep Colour and I'm using an LG B6 so I'm sure everything should be compatible.

What's weird though is when watching a HDR blu ray, everything looks washed out, however if I hit the guide button and it puts the film in the smaller box it looks like I think it should, with really vibrant colours.. It's only when I go back into full screen on the film it washes out again.

Has anyone experienced this? Games or films don't seem to be working for me.

f@luS

More than a member.
movies are limited rgb even if you put full in your xbox , so be sure to put limited in your xbox and tv

Does anyone else have their xbox regularly drop their ISP connection?

This was not a problem with my OG xbox one. I keep getting this under network settings

SomewhatGroovy
IPv4
Nat Type: Unavailable
My One S thinks it's on a wired connection sometimes. No cable in sight though. I have to go into settings for it to realise it's on wifi.

Really weird/annoying.

J_Viper

Gears-of-War-4-SE-Bundle.png

Anyone know if the bundled Gears is physical or digital?

Lgndryhr

Gears-of-War-4-SE-Bundle.png

Anyone know if the bundled Gears is physical or digital?

That's the gamestop exclusive bundle and all gamestop console bundles include a physical game. Also in those images you can see a game box instead of a download card. Microsoft has gotten pretty good about displaying whether it is a physical box or download card.

KevinG

I'm late to the game on this, but would I really need to by an adapter to keep using my Kinect with an Xbox One S?

I've looked at my options in selling my OG Xbox One toward this, and my Kinect isn't worth much of anything, and I use it enough to warrant keeping it.

Weevilone

I'm late to the game on this, but would I really need to by an adapter to keep using my Kinect with an Xbox One S?

I've looked at my options in selling my OG Xbox One toward this, and my Kinect isn't worth much of anything, and I use it enough to warrant keeping it.

Microsoft will send you a free adapter.

JB1981

Go to Games and Apps
Under Install, click the file you want to pause, hit start, tell it to pause

Thank you. I figured this out last night after some experimenting. I'm installing (downloading, funny that they call it installing), right now and it says the game is ready to start so I got all excited but it appears that I can only stare at the menu screen. Is there a general percentage downloaded games must hit before you can play them? Thanks !

J_Viper

That's the gamestop exclusive bundle and all gamestop console bundles include a physical game. Also in those images you can see a game box instead of a download card. Microsoft has gotten pretty good about displaying whether it is a physical box or download card.

Oh I see, I thought it might be different since it's being sold at the MS Store as well

Thanks for clarifying that

JB1981

Also I bought the Gears UE Play Anywhere version that also includes digital versions of the Gears trilogy as free downloads but only the original game shows up in your Games section. Only if you search the store for the other titles does it reflect that you own them.

Guys,

Is anyone having the following issue with their One S ? ...

You go to turn the machine on using the X/Home button on the controller and it doesn't turn the console on and just flashes intermittently on the controller ?

Meaning you have to press the power on button on the console itself to bring it to life, seems it is happening on 'instant on' mode.

Does anyone know a fix or have this issue ? Thanks

Also is 'suspend and resume' no longer a feature of the Xbox One ? I've tried it a few times on FH3 and it's not working - just does the long boot up process and game is closed not waiting to resume as it should.

So my issue is that the Xbox thinks there is no IPv6 protocol in my signal when, in fact, there is. This has only been an issue since getting my S. I get very strange disconnects from the internet , party chat, and matchmaking. It is really annoying and hard to isolate if this is a specific console problem or a general problem with the machine as a whole.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with mine either. Also, the fact that going into settings fixes it makes me think it's more of a software issue...?

im_dany

Guys,

Is anyone having the following issue with their One S ? ...

You go to turn the machine on using the X/Home button on the controller and it doesn't turn the console on and just flashes intermittently on the controller ?

Meaning you have to press the power on button on the console itself to bring it to life, seems it is happening on 'instant on' mode.

Does anyone know a fix or have this issue ? Thanks

Also is 'suspend and resume' no longer a feature of the Xbox One ? I've tried it a few times on FH3 and it's not working - just does the long boot up process and game is closed not waiting to resume as it should.

I'm having the same issue, instant on does not always work (it actually worked only once since sunday for me) and I can't turn on the console from the controller. This morning it worked and downloaded for a while (I noticed it after lunch when I turned it on), then it stopped again. I read somewhere that they suggest to clear the download queue, set it to energy saver, turn it off for a while and then turn it on and put back instant on. I'm going to try this today and see if it downloads something tonight. Otherwise I'll have to return it.

Just for troubleshooting, I tried turning off the IR blaster functions (I only use it with the TV), hard resetted multiple times, unplugged it from the wall.

I'm having the same issue, instant on does not always work (it actually worked only once since sunday for me) and I can't turn on the console from the controller. This morning it worked and downloaded for a while (I noticed it after lunch when I turned it on), then it stopped again. I read somewhere that they suggest to clear the download queue, set it to energy saver, turn it off for a while and then turn it on and put back instant on. I'm going to try this today and see if it downloads something tonight. Otherwise I'll have to return it.

Just for troubleshooting, I tried turning off the IR blaster functions (I only use it with the TV), hard resetted multiple times, unplugged it from the wall.

I saw your post on the previous page after posting above.

I've found a thread online from July 2014 on Xbox forums were a lot of people reporting this but the thread tails off without a proper fix or reason why it happens.

I do have something in my download queue though as your theory suggests (FIFA 17 - 40Gb download bundled code) - I also think it is happening when you shutdown with a game playing as I have turned it on and off with controller today fine as it downloads FIFA 17 but no game left running.

I also read a theory that I tried last night ... Take batteries out controller and hook up by USB and play a game for 30 mins - apparently the controller syncs properly and is reset in someway to the console using this method to prevent bricked controllers ever being possible.

All I know is it hasn't had any problems since but I haven't tried suspend and resume in instant on mode which I think causes a crash as console shuts down and severs the link to the controller being able to switch machine on.

I'm not returning mine, I will just live with this issue as went through hell with FOUR Xbox One S in my home in a week in an attempt to get a quiet one and I succeeded, I don't want to play the Xbox One S lottery of returns ever again.

I'm also only likely to keep the machine until Scorpio launch, so will live with this issue if need be for a year. The returning to store of multiple consoles in the last fortnight has drained me and any idea of changing this quiet machine barring it breaking properly, only then would I return it.

HTH

im_dany

I also read a theory that I tried last night ... Take batteries out controller and hook up by USB and play a game for 30 mins - apparently the controller syncs properly and is reset in someway to the console using this method to prevent bricked controllers ever being possible.

I'm not returning mine, I will just live with this issue as went through hell with FOUR Xbox One S in my home in a week in an attempt to get a quiet one and I succeeded, I don't want to play the Xbox One S lottery of returns ever again.

I'm also only likely to keep the machine until Scorpio launch, so will live with this issue if need be for a year. The returning to store of multiple consoles in the last fortnight has drained me and any idea of changing this quiet machine barring it breaking properly, only then would I return it.

HTH

I don't think it's the controller's fault because I have two and it still does it with any of the two.

I can't live with this because I buy a lot of digital games and my connection is too crap. I need the ~12 GB I can download every night

dcx4610

I've had the controller flashing issue on both the old and new One. It seems to be a bug with the controller firmware or suspend mode. It's not the console.

I don't think it's the controller's fault because I have two and it still does it with any of the two.

I can't live with this because I buy a lot of digital games and my connection is too crap. I need the ~12 GB I can download every night

Agreed, it's NOT the controllers - the console is crashing as it shuts down and breaking the link with the controller.

I've just done something quite telling not 5 mins ago, basically my console has been off in instant on mode all day and has been downloading FIFA 17, I've been at home today so every hour or so I've been turning the console on using the controller and checking it's % of FIFA download is rising and it is and all is fine, I have then shut down the console using the controller and it works then an hour or so later done the same thing all over again ... No problems - the controller has powered on and powered off the machine EVERY time no faults.

Now 5 mins ago I powered on console again with controller and PAUSED the FIFA download as family home now and people want to use the internet etc.

Now this time when I powered off the console with download PAUSED in queue, the console made TWO shutdown chimes a couple of seconds apart (this is it telling us that it's crashed I think) and the machine shuts down but the controller continues to flash intermittently for a good 2 mins after machine has shutdown.

Once the light on controller stops flashing I press it and lo and behold the machine doesn't come on, So I press console power button and it boots up but NOT in instant on mode - it's the full boot process.

So in theory my machine has been fine all day until I paused a download and shutdown in instant on mode and 2 audible shutdown beeps and blinking controller light after machine went off.

I've now restarted FIFA download to test and now controller shutdown machine with only 1 beep and no flashing after and I am able to start machine again using controller and it's back to instant load to dashboard ...

So basically I'm seeing that as PAUSED downloads in queue are causing the problem at least for me ???

Perhaps you could test same parameters and see what happens at your end ?

HTH

im_dany

I've been having these issues with downloads that were not paused so I don't think that's the case. I didn't notice whetever it did the double shutdown sound but I'll try to be careful and listen to it now.

I also use either the button or the controller to turn it off depending on what's closer, so I'm not sure if that could be related either.

I did the steps I posted earlier (clear queue, put energy saver, shut down, put instant on back). Tonight I'm going to leave an update in download and the BF1 trial paused, I'll update you tomorrow morning.

J_Viper

So I'm trying to redeem a code and I keep getting

Sorry, an unexpected error has occurred. The error has been recorded and we will investigate. Please try to redeem your code later.

what the fuck?

leng jai

Sold my Forza 6 Xbone for a solid price and looking to get a sexy S. Still deciding between getting a white Fifa bundle or waiting for the BF1 Storm Grey version.

Man, I want an S so badly but I can't justify it to myself when I have the games on PC and Scorpio being in the horizon.

But it's just soooooo beautiful...

Also, I have to wonder if white is going to become the new "standard color" for Xbox. That'd be pretty swell, actually, as the Xbox 360 always seemed to me like the "spiritual successor" of the Dreamcast (my all time favorite console), and the Xbox S only continues that trend for me.

Vuze

Hm, so I got my first (UHD) BluRay ever yesterday and I wonder how I get the Xbox to output 5.1? It seems no matter what I do, Dolby Stereo is the "max" I get. The audio on the disc I selected is 5.1 (there is a 7.1 too but I don't think my soundbar supports this).
Netflix 5.1 via my Shield TV works fine as indicated by the TV.

Xbox via HDMI to TV, Soundbar (Yamaha YAS 105) via Optical to TV (Sony XD80).

Any ideas?

Hammer24

Banned
Hm, so I got my first (UHD) BluRay ever yesterday and I wonder how I get the Xbox to output 5.1? It seems no matter what I do, Dolby Stereo is the "max" I get. The audio on the disc I selected is 5.1 (there is a 7.1 too but I don't think my soundbar supports this).
Netflix 5.1 via my Shield TV works fine as indicated by the TV.

Xbox via HDMI to TV, Soundbar (Yamaha YAS 105) via Optical to TV (Sony XD80).

Any ideas?

Have you tried Xbox via Optical to Soundbar?

Izuna

Banned
Ordered my replacement Xbone S!

It's coming with FIFA 17 and MAFIA III, which are both getting sold (FIFA sold like a hot cake on eBay)

That makes it about £187 after adjusting for selling fees.

Glad to be back. Now to wait for HDR monitors to be a thing.

I'm also getting gifted a PC with a 970 in it (although I need to replace the PSU and HDD). It's bottlenecked by having an old i5 so I figured it wasn't worth trying to salvage into my main gaming machine.

I'm happy to be able to bring my Xbox One S to Japan and not require another power supply. Love that dual voltage.

Vuze

Have you tried Xbox via Optical to Soundbar?
Nope, might try tonight but that can't possibly be the only solution.
As stated Shield TV via HDMI does pass 5.1 perfectly fine via the same route so I don't see why the Xbox would fail to do so.

im_dany

I did the steps I posted earlier (clear queue, put energy saver, shut down, put instant on back). Tonight I'm going to leave an update in download and the BF1 trial paused, I'll update you tomorrow morning.

Daily update: this morning after I checked I found out it almost finished the update and was still in instant on, then I left for uni so once I come back home later I'll see if it continued downloading.

Man, I want an S so badly but I can't justify it to myself when I have the games on PC and Scorpio being in the horizon.

But it's just soooooo beautiful...

Also, I have to wonder if white is going to become the new "standard color" for Xbox. That'd be pretty swell, actually, as the Xbox 360 always seemed to me like the "spiritual successor" of the Dreamcast (my all time favorite console), and the Xbox S only continues that trend for me.

Sell your Xbox One. Buy the S. Sell your S when Scorpio comes out. You probably won't be further behind financially than waiting for Scorpio and selling your OG Xbox One then as it's gonna net you a lot less.

Top Bottom