• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Scaling Chip Improvements in February Update (No more sharpening filter!)

def sim

Because colors are over saturated on the full image...its a significantly more natural looking image...

You could argue subjectively that it looks "better" to you over saturated...but objectively its a more natural image...

The problem here is that IF your TV supports Full RGB..then it should be properly calibrated to whichever setting you choose..

MS just uses a bananas gamma setting on their console...even back to the 360 and PS3...the 360 needed COMPLETELY different calibration settings than the PS3...and I never liked the way the 360 looked when set to Full on my TV...

And this is coming from someone that prefers an image with the contrast a little over done...

Yeah, I play on a monitor that supports full RGB. In this instance, limited is not a natural image.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, I play on a monitor that supports full RGB. In this instance, limited is not a natural image.

It absolutely is. There's no fucking detail left on the pants, behind the neck and most of the shadows are straight up blacker than black on the second pic. Not natural, that's a fact. Now, you may prefer the FULL RGB output for your own tastes, but that's different than what we're discussing here. Xbox One doesn't output proper in FULL RGB.

def sim

It absolutely is. There's no fucking detail left on the pants, behind the neck and most of the shadows are straight up blacker than black. Not natural, that's a fact. Now, you may prefer the FULL RGB output for your own tastes, but that's different than what we're discussing here. Xbox One doesn't output proper in FULL RGB.

It's the same on my monitor. It does not matter how black the blacks are, if it's gray and the detail is lost it's still crushed. Full and limited for DR3 has the same detail.

Metfanant

It's the same on my monitor. It does not matter how black the blacks are, if it's gray and the detail is lost it's still crushed. Full and limited for DR3 has the same detail.

wait...

1. it DOES matter how black the blacks are...
2. you dont lose detail from the "gray" blacks...that is not crushed blacks...you lose detail when blacks are "too black"
3. the fact that the results are different between games just increases my suspicion that MS has continued into this gen with just a completely FUBAR gamma setting in their console...

does DR3 or KI (or both?) have their own gamma setting in the game menus??

def sim

wait...

2. you dont lose detail from the "gray" blacks...that is not crushed blacks...you lose detail when blacks are "too black"
3. the fact that the results are different between games just increases my suspicion that MS has continued into this gen with just a completely FUBAR gamma setting in their console...

No it doesn't. If I had crushed blacks and turned up the brightness, not gamma, on my monitor it would still be crushed. You guys are looking at this as if it's a uniform situation instead of a case by case basis. DR3 looks as it should in that comparison. Playing it on limited with a full RGB capable monitor will lead to a washed out picture. KI is better on limited on a full RGB capable monitor and has crushed blacks on full.

does DR3 or KI (or both?) have their own gamma setting in the game menus??

Only KI has a gamma option.

Metfanant

No it doesn't. If I had crushed blacks and turned up the brightness, not gamma, on my monitor it would still be crushed. You guys are looking at this as if it's a uniform situation instead of a case by case basis. DR3 looks as it should in that comparison. Playing it on limited with a full RGB capable monitor will lead to a washed out picture. KI is better on limited on a full RGB capable monitor and has crushed blacks on full.

Only KI has a gamma option.

No No...but youre looking at it all wrong...there are proper ways to calibrate a set...you cant switch between full and limited and leave all of your other settings the same...

if youre looking for a true calibration, after changing from limited to full you MUST go in and mess with brightness, contrast, gamma, etc...to find the right balances...

youre "unlocking" ranges on each end of the color spectrum...and its going to throw everything else off along with it...

def sim

No No...but youre looking at it all wrong...there are proper ways to calibrate a set...you cant switch between full and limited and leave all of your other settings the same...

if youre looking for a true calibration, after changing from limited to full you MUST go in and mess with brightness, contrast, gamma, etc...to find the right balances...

youre "unlocking" ranges on each end of the color spectrum...and its going to throw everything else off along with it...

Well, that's different from what we were talking about. Anyway, I'm playing on a monitor and there isn't much room for calibration with the settings available to me.

madmackem

To celebrate the scaler fix i shall rebuy dead rising today, i cant put it in words how relieved i am this was fixed, i didnt even want to play non native games because of the sharpening shit.

Metfanant

Well, that's different from what we were talking about. Anyway, I'm playing on a monitor and there isn't much room for calibration with the settings available to me.

its not different from what we are talking about...if i have my settings (brightness, contrase, gamma, yadda yadda) calibrated for a limited RGB signal...and i change to a full rgb signal...then it throws off the rest of the settings...then you need to tweak so that you get things like shadow detail back

Agreed, blacks should be black, not gray.

There is no perceptible difference in detail in those two DR3 images. None. I opened both images in Gimp, zoomed into dark areas and there's no perceptible loss of detail, no uniform dark areas that don't look the same on the lighter image (as a matter of fact, the dark area under the neck looks slightly better defined in the full RGB shot; EDIT: Actually, I'm blind, there is a slight difference in rendering of the neck area, but whereas the full RGB shot does look more uniform in the lower part, it also appears to show higher frequency of detail in the upper part).

So in this case at least, it all comes down to your personal preference.

def sim

its not different from what we are talking about...if i have my settings (brightness, contrase, gamma, yadda yadda) calibrated for a limited RGB signal...and i change to a full rgb signal...then it throws off the rest of the settings...then you need to tweak so that you get things like shadow detail back

We were talking about the the limited and full setting on the Xbox and the DR3 comparison. Fixing this isn't a case of calibrating your television or monitor.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm working on an upload service for the site so people can upload their own videos. It will be heavily moderated so people don't send crap, but it should allow for some nice stuff hopefully. We'll need to find some money for the hosting though, working on that too :)

Oh DUDE.

This will be a GOD send! Fantastic to hear.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My pics, top is Limited RGB and bottom is Full RGB:

Dead Rising 3
iUzVsCBEdbmBd.png

iIIENsfhzTdCA.png

Killer Instinct
ibwVwXmMlxpOOu.png

i8wHHpD94uGQ8.png

That's not the way you want to show it. We are seeing your limited (16-235 luma range) shots on a PC monitor for a 0-255 range. A PC expects 0 to be true black, but your pics have black at 16, with nothing below. Your TV in limited mode expect true black to be 16 (or below, of course).
Here are your DR3 pics with an histogram showing the levels, followed by the limited pic converted to full range:
dr3levels.png

You want the histogram to be barely in between the brown borders, as show in the full range picture. The limited range shows that it's missing a huge part of that on both the left (0-16) and the right (235-255). The conversion "fixes" that so that it displays the proper levels on a PC screen. It's of course a "destructive" conversion (the process I use creates a barely visible banding, as seen in the histogram), but it's better than the alternative ;)

For me when I have it set to RGB full and my display is set to RGB full the blacks are crushed hard on my Xbone. With both set to limited it looks okay. Not sure why this is.

Top Bottom