• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells (to customers) 2 Million Units in 18 Days

bananas

Banned
November has 30 days FYI

So at most 16 days of sales for PS4 to sell that, probably 15 because of tracking delay although that also applies to MS's numbers but 16 for a like to like comparison

I included December first in the number of days, since the press release read "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013."

harSon

Banned
Don't forget where each console released in that time-frame.

And? I never argued anything having to do with what you're touching on, simply that his comment is factually incorrect. Not that it matters though, since Sony sold out of the units it shipped to Europe, Australia and New Zealand, so the fact that it was only from Nov 29th to Dec 1st is kind of a moot point.

Astral Dog

I initially thought Microsoft advertising for the ONE was unexpectedly poor, i saw online ads for PS4 everywhere, but none for the one
but every retailer store i have been the Xbox One is heavily advertised, a lot more tan the Play Station. they definetly have a huge presence there.

apana

I initially thought Microsoft advertising for the ONE was unexpectedly poor, i saw online ads for PS4 everywhere, but none for the one
but every retailer store i have been the Xbox One is heavily advertised, a lot more tan the Play Station. they definetly have a huge presence there.

Honestly I don't see the big difference in advertising as far as commercials go. It is the same annoying live action style commercials for both. Microsoft advertised a lot more on the "street", meaning billboards and stuff like that. In San Fransisco, Xbox One ads were all over the financial district, when you come out of the Bart, etc.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Honestly I don't see the big difference in advertising as far as commercials go. It is the same annoying live action style commercials for both. Microsoft advertised a lot more on the "street", meaning billboards and stuff like that. In San Fransisco, Xbox One ads were all over the financial district, when you come out of the Bart, etc.

MS had a lot more ads targetted at non-gamers as well during football and the like.

That said, I want a ban on live-action "regular people in game world" commercials.

CoD did it and it was fantastic. Now everyone does it and it's boring.

Sony could be sitting on that news right now. they might announce 3m sold if the NDP numbers don't favor PS4 in NA.

Possible but unlikely

Better to get 2 great PR quotes then 1 and they will have Nov NPD almost guarenteed. They had 7 more days of sales plus a significantly larger number of launch sales

I included December first in the number of days, since the press release read "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that cumulative sell through for the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system worldwide has surpassed 2.1 million units*1 as of December 1, 2013."

Hmm I must be going crazy then but if November has 30 days and PS4 released the 15th then shouldn't it be (30 - 15) + 1 = 16 days?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hmm I must be going crazy then but if November has 30 days and PS4 released the 15th then shouldn't it be (30 - 15) + 1 = 16 days?

You need to subtract 14 because the 15th counts as one of the days. Otherwise you are starting counting from the 16th.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
You can argue the amount of marketshare they're losing/going to lose compared to what they had for the 360 has been dramatically reduced in the US. Coupled with it being irrelevant in Yurop and elsewhere PS4 looks like it will take the worldwide lead right off the bat and continue selling more over time whereas last gen the numbers where comparable.

You are always so confident, must be nice to own the worlds biggest crystal ball.

beast786

What kind of BS is this? You may be right, but the Playstation 4 didn't sell 2+ million 9 days sooner than the Xbox One. The PS4 released a week prior to the XB1, so it's 17 days for the PS4 and 19 days for the XB1.

You are right. But in general. Nobody cares about PS3 was late one year when comparing USA figures between 360 and XB1.

At the end of the day its about LTD

Racer1977

Don't forget that the XB1 released in fewer markets and is still on par with PS4.

Who's saying Xbox One sales are on par with PS4?

The PS4 sold 1m+ consoles within 48hrs of it's NA launch. Consoles were then scarce for the following two weeks, perhaps adding another few hundred thousand to the total. 48hrs after the EU launch, Sony added another 750k+ sales, for a total of 2.1m+.

That was 9-10 days back, we don't what sales have been like since, but given demand, and claims Sony can supply 100k consoles per day, it would be a fair judgement to state they've sold close to, if not surpassed, 3m . That's certainly their stated target for this Christmas - companies tend to lowball these predictions - with 5m sales predicted for the end of the financial year.

You are right. But in general. Nobody cares about PS3 was late one year when comparing USA figures between 360 and XB1.

Ask any warrior. Any real console warrior. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

I'm kidding. I can't wait to see numbers myself

cakefoo

With both consoles supply-constrained, NPD will merely reflect the amount each manufacturer decided to ship.

It's like going into a store on launch day and counting how fast the cashiers can check out customers. Really you should be stepping outside the store to see how many more people are lined up.

Darksol

I'm debating turning NPD into a drinking game. If I take a shot for every person in the NPD thread that gets banned...will I die?

jaypah

Soon enough. That's their own estimate by end of Dec. Personally I think they low balled it slightly so I'm guessing 3.5-4m by year end.

Yeah. I was thinking they may be around 2.5 yesterday but after thinking about it I think the may have clipped 3 already.

Skeff

You think they could be sitting at 3m right now?

Word is they've been using air freight in some territories as well as boats and Sony may have been shipping 100k per day according to zomgbbwtf's stock channel analyst, if we extrapolate that with the 2.1 million sold number then we'd be looking at around 3.3m sold LTD, they would be at 3m LTD if they had been shipping about 70k per day worldwide, which is well below those stock channel estimates.

I think Sony likely have sold more than 3 million units at present, I also agree with other posters though that they would have likely put out a Press release regarding 3m sold, but then again they didn't put out a release for 2m, they just mentioned it in interviews when it was 2.1m.

Word is they've been using air freight in some territories as well as boats and Sony may have been shipping 100k per day according to zomgbbwtf's stock channel analyst, if we extrapolate that with the 2.1 million sold number then we'd be looking at around 3.3m sold LTD, they would be at 3m LTD if they had been shipping about 70k per day worldwide, which is well below those stock channel estimates.

I think Sony likely have sold more than 3 million units at present, I also agree with other posters though that they would have likely put out a Press release regarding 3m sold, but then again they didn't put out a release for 2m, they just mentioned it in interviews when it was 2.1m.

Perhaps they're saving it for a 2 blow PR announcement today/tomorrow after NPD numbers?

I.E. We have X sales in the US and over 3 million worldwide? About the only thing I can think as to why they'd hold off on announcing it

jaypah

Yeah, I posted right above you :p Good to hear some thought out reasons behind the numbers though, thanks.

Perhaps they're saving it for a 2 blow PR announcement today/tomorrow after NPD numbers?

I.E. We have X sales in the US and over 3 million worldwide? About the only thing I can think as to why they'd hold off on announcing it

This is exactly why I think they haven't said anything yet.

harSon

Banned

I agree 100%, although your statements significance is directly related to the length of the overall time frame we're discussing.

But that's not what we're discussing. He said that the Playstation 4 reached 2+ million 9 days faster than the Xbox One, and I pointed out the fact that he was wrong.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The point is that when people talk about the next big game for PS4, it's invariably Infamous. Possibly Driveclub if they're way more of a racing fan, but it's far more likely Infamous. You use fans excitement for Titanfall to paint a negative light on the Xbox One, so why doesn't excitement about Infamous do the same for PS4?

I really don't get why people with a clear preference for either console seem to spend so much time in threads devoted to the other console, much less trying to rain on everyone's parade. If you're happy, that doesn't mean other people need to be 'saved' or 'educated' with concern trolling.

It's kind of totally different, but I see where you're coming from. Also I never used fans excitement for the game itself in a negative light, just the sales potential, in a sales thread. If that came across differently then I apologize.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
True assuming they can make them at the same rate. I'm not sure they'll overtake PS4 total, as Sony seems to be heavily prioritising US themselves.

I think Sony will try and avoid that at all costs. MS would release a barrage of PR if they outsold Sony for total units in the US. So they may be taking advantage at the moment to ship more widely, but be ready to refocus on the US as necessary to keep ahead

What kind of BS is this? You may be right, but the Playstation 4 didn't sell 2+ million 9 days sooner than the Xbox One. The PS4 released a week prior to the XB1, so it's 17 days for the PS4 and 19 days for the XB1.

Yes it did. 2.1mil PS4's Dec 1st. X1 didn't hit 2mil till Dec 9th.

rothbart

Don't forget that the XB1 released in fewer markets and is still on par with PS4.

When you're talking sell-outs in all markets, it makes no difference that XBOne released in fewer markets. Both systems are selling out wherever they're sold... Both could have probably released in the US only and sold out.

It's when stock is readily available everywhere that it'll be more telling as to who is selling how many, and where...

I think Sony will try and avoid that at all costs. MS would release a barrage of PR if they outsold Sony for total units in the US. So they may be taking advantage at the moment to ship more widely, but be ready to refocus on the US as necessary to keep ahead

Yes we can already see ramifications of Sony prioritizing the US market with losing Australia launch

Top Bottom