• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Video Clips to be Shared Via SkyDrive

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
http://majornelson.com/2013/11/19/xbox-record-that/

Upload Studio Walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXm8ja8ArU

Major Nelson said:
One of the most exciting features coming to Xbox One is the ability to record your most exciting, impressive, or just plain awesome-looking gaming accomplishments so that you can relive them over and over.

But how do you share those memorable gameplay moments in front of everyone else’s eyeballs? The answer is SkyDrive. Save and edit your clips, then upload to the cloud via SkyDrive on Xbox One.

The best part is, once these clips are in the cloud, you can share them however you like, without any restrictions or limitations.
For more on Game DVR, Upload Studio, and sharing from SkyDrive, head on over to Xbox Wire.

So, from the sounds of it once the clip is on SkyDrive you can then grab the file and share via any means (YouTube, etc). This is great if true, especially for people worrying about capture set-ups. Right now I don't think Sony gives you access to the video file on PS4 at all.

tait269

http://majornelson.com/2013/11/19/xbox-record-that/

Upload Studio Walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXm8ja8ArU

So, from the sounds of it once the clip is on SkyDrive you can then grab the file and share via any means (YouTube, etc). This is great if true, especially for people worrying about capture set-ups. Right now I don't think Sony gives you access to the video file on PS4 at all.

Can't you upload it to Facebook and download it from there on PS4?

Torgo

As an "IT Guy" I can say that this is a bad thing. Skydrive sucks balls. We tried it at our company and dropped even trying after about 3 months. It's terrible.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So is streaming coming Day 1? Did they ever clarify this? That has been a huge mystery.
No twitch streaming at launch. At least, that's the way it's looking since major Nelson has ignored the dozens of tweets asking about this yesterday.

Embargo for XB1 expires in a few hours so we'll know for sure soon!

ryanmac

Banned
This sounds neat.

PS4 will be adding support for things like direct to YouTube which is what I would prefer, but this SkyDrive thing works too.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is like one step forward and one step back from PS4. At least they give you access to the clips right off the bat, but then you have to jump through extra hoops to share them.

and seriously, wtf is up with neither console having YouTube uploads at launch?

Cool, no FB account so I currently can't get clips off my PS4. Have a ton of unused SkyDrive storage though!
yeah I really don't understand Sony giving you zero access to your clips. I mean they are sitting there RIGHT ON THE DRIVE, yet there's no way to get them off except upload to facebook. c'mon firmware 1.6 with copy to USB.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
As an "IT Guy" I can say that this is a bad thing. Skydrive sucks balls. We tried it at our company and dropped even trying after about 3 months. It's terrible.

What?

It's a cloud storage service. It's also hardly "terrible". I prefer dropbox, but it's perfectly fine.

Also, MS owns it, so it's not a huge shock that they are using Skydrive.

jet1911

This sounds neat.

PS4 will be adding support for things like direct to YouTube which is what I would prefer, but this SkyDrive thing works too.

I hope Sony won't take too long to add other ways to upload screenshots and videos. If Nintendo can do it I'm sure Sony can do it a bit faster.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is like one step forward and one step back from PS4. At least they give you access to the clips right off the bat, but then you have to jump through extra hoops to share them.

and seriously, wtf is up with neither console having YouTube uploads at launch?

I think something is up with Google.

Neither have Youtube apps either.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

You can always expect sentences that start like this to end well :)

It didn't disappoint ;)

Hyunickel

Neo Member

Maybe on a corporate level it's not so good, but from personal use, I prefer it over both Dropbox and Google Drive. It has a really great UI and is pretty straightforward and easy to use. Widespread platform support as well.

I edited my comment a bit. Nothing official so far.

I know in the Official Xbox One Twitch Thread people are getting pretty pissed about it at this point. They are hounding all the Xbox Pr and Executives on Twitter, but nobody will respond.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716297&highlight=twitch+xbox+one&page=6

Major Nelson even came in the Official Xbox One Launch thread and made a comment about one thing, while everyone else was wondering about Day 1 streaming, but he never commented on that.

borghe

If you get a Chrome/FIrefox add-on it's really easy.

true, but I would be shocked if Facebook didn't further transcode the video. Am still anxiously awaiting being able to grab the native file.

I know in the Official Xbox One Twitch Thread people are getting pretty pissed about it at this point. They are hounding all the Xbox Pr and Executives on Twitter, but nobody will respond.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716297&highlight=twitch+xbox+one&page=6

Major Nelson even came in the Official Xbox One Launch thread and made a comment about one thing, while everyone else was wondering about Day 1 streaming, but he never commented on that.

yeah I was really surprised with as big of a deal MS was making about Twitch, and with Sony only mentioning Ustream.. I thought for sure MS had an exclusive deal with Twitch going.. Then for Sony to launch with it and MS to be totally closed lip about it.. Crazy. I would almost wonder if Sony had an exclusive arrangement, but you'd think if they did they would announce it everywhere.

Then again MS has no streaming at launch. So more than likely it's just taking longer to put in.

Skydrive is surprisingly good. I personally have a lot of inertia against changing "cloud" storage services but its not bad in general.

Can't say i have ever once thought it would be a good idea to upload game clips online, much less add cheesy effects to them. Should please the instagram generation though i guess...

true, but I would be shocked if Facebook didn't further transcode the video. Am still anxiously awaiting being able to grab the native file.

You can download the HD versions from Facebook. They're 720p I think, I don't think the PS4 uploads 1080p video as of yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

If we don't know after the embargo expires I'm creating a rumor thread. It's getting ridiculous.

Also, the upload thingy sounds neat! I wonder if you can save stuff for later editing.

NavNucST3

I'm already over my limit on my skydrive since my WP8 automatically pushes my photos and videos there...how will this be handled on XBOX One? Are the clips going to count against the storage limit?

SPEA

Skydrive is great. Not sure what types of problems you guys encountered. But yeah, for personal use, it's great.

Raist

Banned
If we don't know after the embargo expires I'm creating a rumor thread. It's getting ridiculous.

Also, the upload thingy sounds neat! I wonder if you can save stuff for later editing.

I swear I read/heard somewhere that live streaming won't be working day 1 a while ago. Can't remember where though.

flkraven

I'm already over my limit on my skydrive since my WP8 automatically pushes my photos and videos there...how will this be handled on XBOX One? Are the clips going to count against the storage limit?

Hmmm. The Xbox One was supposed to have unlimited cloud storage, so I wonder if that applies to this as well...

Cloud storage for video clips sounds expensive.

Even uploading my PC captures @ 720p to youtube the clips can very quickly surpass many GB each.

For Windows 8.1 users, this basically means your uploaded clips are instantly accessible from SkyDrive's integration in the file explorer (i.e. you can access SkyDrive folders from my computer).

With neither Sony/MS able to get direct YouTube uploading going, this should make it much easier to get your clips up on the tube. Just upload them straight from your SkyDrive folder.

2San

This seems like a really good idea. I do wonder about data limits and such. Will they give a separate amount of space for XB1 owners?

borghe

I love cloud storage, so simple.

except when you are trying to post it to a social site. that's my only beef with this.

PS4 you can ONLY put it to Facebook.

XBONE you can put it anywhere, but first you have to upload it to SkyDrive, then download it to your PC, then upload it to the sharing site.

I swear both of these systems really needed to bake for another 6 months. heh.

Alx

I've only been using Skydrive to replace an USB key when working on a document on different device, which it does quite well. But last I tried, the web interface wasn't that good, so I don't know how convenient it will be to share videos.

JaggedSac

These clips are also viewable from Smartglass, the web, and from the Bone. Even on game info pages in the marketplace and such. I've been watching Forza vids that Arthur Gies uploaded, on my phone via Smartglass. Their own XBox Live screenshot and video infrastructure looks like it will be nice and not rely on third party services.

Doffen

SkyDrive works great on consumer products and for consumer usage. I can't stress it enough how import an the SkyDrive integration is for my Windows Phone device, having it automatically upload photos and videos to my SkyDrive account, so that I can have instant access to my media on any of device with the SkyDrive app.

except when you are trying to post it to a social site. that's my only beef with this.

XBONE you can put it anywhere, but first you have to upload it to SkyDrive, then download it to your PC, then upload it to the sharing site.

I imagine that both of these will be tweeked and probably overhauled in the next few years

JaggedSac

Nah, you can right click videos in Skydrive and it allows you to post them to various social sites. Facebook and Twitter being two of them. No need to download first.

Top Bottom