• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Video Clips to be Shared Via SkyDrive

Madness

Uh, why is this really a bad thing? Microsoft allows you to upload it to their free cloud storage service. No need to sign up or use third party software or sites. Is it as good as Google Drive or Dropbox, no, but it sure beats Facebook and Twitter.

Alx

These clips are also viewable from Smartglass, the web, and from the Bone. Even on game info pages in the marketplace and such. I've been watching Forza vids that Arthur Gies uploaded, on my phone via Smartglass. Their own XBox Live screenshot and video infrastructure looks like it will be nice and not rely on third party services.

Is there an easy way to point a specific video to other people, assuming a user may have a lot of them on his account ? Like "hey gaf take a look at my Forza video #Xba7f42, it's so cool !"

JaggedSac

Is there an easy way to point a specific video to other people, assuming a user may have a lot of them on his account ? Like "hey gaf take a look at my Forza video #Xba7f42, it's so cool !"

Yes, you can create links to your video via the context menu as well. It will take you to the SkyDrive site to play it. So yes, you can link to your vids on GAF.

Nemesis_

This is cool - Skydrive just appears as a folder on my computer similar to DropBox. Pretty happy about that, it'll be a matter of dragging and dropping.

As an "IT Guy" I can say that this is a bad thing. Skydrive sucks balls. We tried it at our company and dropped even trying after about 3 months. It's terrible.
Well I absolutely love it. I honestly don't see any issues with it at all and you didn't even explain any negatives.

Ubersnug

Uh, why is this really a bad thing? Microsoft allows you to upload it to their free cloud storage service. No need to sign up or use third party software or sites. Is it as good as Google Drive or Dropbox, no, but it sure beats Facebook and Twitter.

Pretty much how I view it. Skydrive gives us a convenient location to store it and can either share it from there or download it to use elsewhere. Can't see anything negative about it at all.

Alx

Yes, you can create links to your video via the context menu as well. It will take you to the SkyDrive site to play it. So yes, you can link to your vids on GAF.

Definitely cool, thanks. I can see it getting much use on forums.

watership

As an "IT Guy" I can say that this is a bad thing. Skydrive sucks balls. We tried it at our company and dropped even trying after about 3 months. It's terrible.

SkyDrive is an excellent service. Fast, multiplatform, and flexible. Share why you think it sucks?

Milchjon

Eh, that should fill up any storage fast. Not sure I like it.

I'd much rather save my Skydrive space for useful things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
These clips are also viewable from Smartglass, the web, and from the Bone. Even on game info pages in the marketplace and such. I've been watching Forza vids that Arthur Gies uploaded, on my phone via Smartglass. Their own XBox Live screenshot and video infrastructure looks like it will be nice and not rely on third party services.

it's good that it doesn't rely on third party services, but it would be nice to be able to choose to use third party services rather than be forced to use skydrive. At least it is pretty simple to download them for rehosting.

Pretty much how I view it. Skydrive gives us a convenient location to store it and can either share it from there or download it to use elsewhere. Can't see anything negative about it at all.

Screenshot_14.png

Yep.

Basically the equivalent of shooting the videos straight to your PC.

Milchjon

Then don't use it?

Well, the way I understand it, I can't not use it?

There doesn't seem to be a way to post directly to FB without uploading to Skydrive first.

And as someone who loves what MS is doing, that seems like a bit of an attempt to sell more Skydrive space to me.

Klocker

I'm already over my limit on my skydrive since my WP8 automatically pushes my photos and videos there...how will this be handled on XBOX One? Are the clips going to count against the storage limit?

every Xbox one gets 5gb skydrive storage I believe

Ubersnug

There doesn't seem to be a way to post directly to FB without uploading to Skydrive first.

And as someone who loves what MS is doing, that seems like a bit of an attempt to sell more Skydrive space to me.

Well, download it from skydrive, delete from skydrive and, if you want it shared, upload to youtube?

JaggedSac

There were two options for.upload in the video, perhaps with the option of just uploading to the Xbox service, you can then link to it from Xbox.com on facebook or something.

Qassim

There's no reason why that would matter, it's just uploading your video files to Skydrive so you can get them off easily.

This is like one step forward and one step back from PS4. At least they give you access to the clips right off the bat, but then you have to jump through extra hoops to share them.

Yup. It's cool that they're letting you access the files, but an instant upload to twitter and Facebook like the PS4 would have been nice too.
It's not like you can't download the videos from Facebook for the PS4.
Not to mention you can only record up to 5 min on the X1.

And still no word on the twitch streaming!

Milchjon

Well, download it from skydrive, delete from skydrive and, if you want it shared, upload to youtube?

That's 4 extra steps including one device change compared to uploading it to the desired service directly.

There were two options for.upload in the video, perhaps with the option of just uploading to the Xbox service, you can then link to it from Xbox.com on facebook or something.

I hope there are several options.

Can't you upload it to Facebook and download it from there on PS4?

I tried to do that over the weekend and could not figure out how to download the video off my facebook account. I guess I could have had facebook package all my data up in a zip and grab it that way but there didn't seem to be a way to grab the file once it was on my wall.

Vyer

Skydrive is solid. It's also fairly cheap compared to other cloud options for the expanded storage - 10 bucks a year for 20gb, 25 for 50gb.

Yup. It's cool that they're letting you access the files, but an instant upload to twitter and Facebook like the PS4 would have been nice too.
It's not like you can't download the videos from Facebook for the PS4.
Not to mention you can only record up to 5 min on the X1.

And still no word on the twitch streaming!

I'd never upload a gameplay video to Facebook. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to share my gaming moments with everyone I know. Only a few gaming friends.

Alx

I currently have 45 GB of storage for SkyDrive (for free), so this should be plenty for the moment. :D

How do you know your quotas on Skydrive by the way ? I should have a lot of free space there, but never exactly knew how much.
*edit - nm, just found it on the web page. Seems like I "only" have 7Gb total, I thought I had additional space through my last phone purchase. I'm only using 15% of it right now, though.

Ubersnug

I'd never upload a gameplay video to Facebook. Maybe it's just me but I don't want to share my gaming moments with everyone I know. Only a few gaming friends.

That and most people on my facebook page wouldn't even be interested in seeing all the videos I would spam them with.

To me, unless they came up with another bespoke solution to this, Skydrive seems to be the best option available to us. Plus, there would be additional hoops of then trying to download that video from either Twitter or Facebook I would assume?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar

Been using it(and Azure) at work for for years, never had a single issue......skydrive rocks for sharing between different devices and people especially it's windows\PC native.

Havik

Is it possible to directly share videos on youtube/facebook from skydrive on your pc? seem logical it would be the same on xboxone.

If this is available outside of the paywall to consumers on Day one, i think its a pretty good value proposition for those who will be buying an xboxone.

Skilletor

Then make a group of just your gaming friends and share to only those people.

You don't have to share anything with everybody on facebook. You can edit to whom you post specific things.

Jinko

Can't you upload it to Facebook and download it from there on PS4?

Yea that's possible, but Facebook/Youtube have some shitty compression :(

Hopefully Sony will add something like this in the future for PS4.

More interested in streaming than captured though.

hoos30

I'm already over my limit on my skydrive since my WP8 automatically pushes my photos and videos there...how will this be handled on XBOX One? Are the clips going to count against the storage limit?

The trick with SkyDrive is to go through every once in a while and delete the bad or useless pics and videos. That action alone frees up so much space.

Then make a group of just your gaming friends and share to only those people.

You don't have to share anything with everybody on facebook. You can edit to whom you post specific things.

I know that. I already have a closed group on Facebook with my gaming friends. I don't think the PS4 allows you to share on that group's page directly though.

No twitch streaming at launch. At least, that's the way it's looking since major Nelson has ignored the dozens of tweets asking about this yesterday.

Embargo for XB1 expires in a few hours so we'll know for sure soon!

That would be huge blow if they don't have it at launch. I love the feature on the PS4. Hopefully it's there on the XB1.

Hey man, even if you don't like to post vids on Facebook, instantaneous upload is pretty nice. They just need to give you an option for Youtube in the future.

Klocker

Is it possible to directly share videos on youtube/facebook from skydrive on your pc? seem logical it would be the same on xboxone.

Yes click on the file in skydrive and it can generate a copy and paste link and make it a public file to post anywhere

Huh, I have 25GB of storage on SkyDrive. Why do I not just have 7?

Iirc, People who upgrades from a hotmail account in a certain time window got a free boost to 25 a year or two ago

Top Bottom