• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Wireless Controller, Charge Kit and Chat Headset available for pre-order

T.O.P

Banned
en-INTL_L_Xbox_One_Cntrlr_Charge_Bundle_Argos_Zest_W2V-00001_mnco.jpg

Iz beautiful :3

will order a headset later on

shinnn

Since the controller is both wired and wireless, I don't think there will be a dedicated wired only version. Wouldn't make any sense really.
Its more to do with a battery/no-battery version than the wire. Even with the cable connected, the controller still using the energy from the battery, right?

jond76

Banned
Its more to do with a battery/no-battery version than the wire. Even with the cable connected, the controller still using the energy from the battery, right?

I'll look for the quote, but I think that's false. Battery bypass when plugged in.

DrDogg

Interesting. I wonder if it switches to wired as soon as a cord is plugged in, or only when it detects the controller is plugged into the console? With my DS3, I generally plug it into my laptop to charge so I don't have a cord running across the living room. Would suck if I can't do that with the X1.

I'm also curious to know what kind of batteries it comes with (if any). Would be nice if it came with a set of rechargeables, but that's probably asking too much. I'm thinking I'll need to buy a new set.

PSGames

I think its crazy we have to spend an extra $25 on top of a $60 controller when PlayStation controllers come with a battery built in at the same price.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why is this controller $60 and not $55 or $50 even? I mean I can slightly understand why DS4 is $60 with the trackpad and all, but not the XB1 controller.

shinnn

I'll look for the quote, but I think that's false. Battery bypass when plugged in.

You are right, thanks.

Internal Battery Cavity –The compartment that houses AA batteries is built into the interior of the controller, providing more room at the bottom for your fingers to grip. Another convenient improvement is that the controller is both wireless and a wired– simply plug it into your console with a micro USB cable and the connection automatically switches to preserve battery life.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/xbox-one-controller-feature

Troll

Banned
After using this controller at Comic-Con, all I can tell you is that it's the best controller ever made. Everything about it is perfect, I'm not exaggerating or trying to excite any of you more than you already are... I really can't wait to use it every day.

Barzul

Anyone know if you can adjust chat volume on the X1 since Kinect will be the mic, can this be done on the 360? Still hoping they include a headset with the console...

I really dislike how the letters are colored and the buttons aren't. It just doesn't look right.

I actually like that more TBH. I never did like the colored buttons on the 360 controller much. This makes the overall design look more consistent.

I really want to get this for my PC. Hopefully the D-pad is as big an improvement as they say.

DrDogg

After using this controller at Comic-Con, all I can tell you is that it's the best controller ever made. Everything about it is perfect, I'm not exaggerating or trying to excite any of you more than you already are... I really can't wait to use it every day.

I have to disagree. The dpad is still pretty bad. Much improved from the original 360 dpad, and the revamped version, but it's still terrible compared to any of the Dual Shock dpads. I feel sorry for anyone trying to play a fighting game on it.

linkeds2

Banned
Because it's 2013 and many people don't own anything that takes batteries anymore?

It's 2013 and every home has at least 3 TVs in them now, all of which have remotes that need battieries, in addition to cable boxes or wireless pc mouses.

In this day and age, you'd think people would invest in rechargeable batteries instead of buying a 16 pack twice every year

Omni

I like batteries. I have two sets of rechargeables that I use for the 360 controller. When one set goes flat, I put them on the charge and use the others.

That said, I may end up getting the charger pack this time around.

MercuryLS

Banned
MS sure love to nickel and dime. You get controller with a built-in rechargeable battery and a mono headset with the base PS4 SKU.

danielcw

I like that I can use the rechargable batteries that I already have, and don't have to pay extra for stuff I don't need.

I don't like devices that have propertary power packs where it is not needed.

-PXG-

An extra controller isn't something you usually would need to pre-order is it?

Remember the Wii launch? Shit, Wiimotes were harder to find than the actual console. I pre-ordered an extra DS4 with my PS4 just in case.

Also, GameStop has had controller up for pre-order for weeks now.

I like that I can use the rechargable batteries that I already have, and don't have to pay extra for stuff I don't need.

If you "don't have to pay extra for stuff you don't need" then this controller should be less than the PS4 controller, because the PS4 controller has a rechargeable battery you don't need built in and the Xbox controller has nothing. Or are you paying Microsoft for the ability to use your own batteries?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
After buying a wired Madcatz 360 controller for $15 from Target that works on both 360 and PC, I laugh at controllers $40 and over. Even if it is wireless.

big_z

So does the controller still use AA batteries? If so I am good with the eneloops.

Yup and this is the way to go. The play and charge kits are simply cheap nimh batteries in a shell. The 360 ones were bad. I have one thats six years old and still going strong but two that wouldn't hold a charge after about 8 months.

You can get 10AA envelops with charger for less than $30. More than enough to keep your poop sock sessions going.

Oh also praising Microsoft for not forcing you to buy a $10 rechargeable battery is a little strange considering that this is the company that's forcing you to buy a $100 camera to dance in front of.

Troll

Banned
Xbox hand sanitizer?

Got to get rid of that DRM somehow.

I have to disagree. The dpad is still pretty bad. Much improved from the original 360 dpad, and the revamped version, but it's still terrible compared to any of the Dual Shock dpads. I feel sorry for anyone trying to play a fighting game on it.

Really? I loved it. That dpad was incredibly comfortable and responsive. I'm really not wanting to turn this into a dual shock vs Xbox controller thread, especially since I was considerably less impressed with the DS4.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If I use my Duracell rechargables in my X360 and/or X1 gamepads, can I charge them through a play and charge cable? Just wondering, I have some Duracell rechargables on hand.

Spasm

Its 2013, why the fuck do I still have to pay for batteries and a charging kit.

Typical MS bullshit.

Because, Eneloops!

Edit:
I'll be using my Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries I got from Costco for around $24. Thanks to Microsoft for giving me a choice on how to power up my Xbox One controller!
Preach it! My 5 year old Costco pack still gives me about 18 hours per charge. Things are nuts!

Xamdou

I'll be using my Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries I got from Costco for around $24. Thanks to Microsoft for giving me a choice on how to power up my Xbox One controller!

Haha I just realized that the only batteries I have had to replace in the last three years were in my Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard. Everything else has been trucking along on the AA batteries they came with, or just had a rechargeable battery built in.

I just bought the 360 wireless controller adapter for PC.

But, if this controller is as good as it sounds (and works on PC), I might invest in another setup.

Wait, XBO controller is still powered by AA's?
Some people prefer that, actually.

I have sparkly pink Eneloops, so I'm good either way, no preference.

Top Bottom