• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Wireless Controller, Charge Kit and Chat Headset available for pre-order

en-INTL_L_Xbox_One_Cntrlr_Charge_Bundle_Argos_Zest_W2V-00001_mnco.jpg

Iz beautiful :3

will order a headset later on

Hnnng. Both next-gen controllers look SO sexy. Greatest gen incoming.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Some people prefer that, actually.

I have sparkly pink Eneloops, so I'm good either way, no preference.

I much prefer it, there have been a number of times that I went to play my PS3 and the controller was dead so I couldn't play because I sit 15 feet from my projector and I don't have a long enough cable. It sucks, batteries any day.

FINALBOSS

Banned
What in hell does this thread have to do with PS4? Some of you just can't help yourselves. Smh...

Because they are discussing headsets and controllers? Man oh man.

Indeed it's 2013, the superior solution in wireless controller power (aka Eneloops) has been out for a while. Plugging a cable to a controller to charge is terrible.

Fuck dat noise.

I used to use a quick stand and just plopped the controller in.

Then I swapped to magnetic charging where a piece is always on the controller and to charge it all you do is lay it on a mat.

I much prefer it, there have been a number of times that I went to play my PS3 and the controller was dead so I couldn't play because I sit 15 feet from my projector and I don't have a long enough cable. It sucks, batteries any day.
I think you get more bang for your buck (aka playtime) with batteries too.

I know the 360 Play and Charge kits gave me much less time that a set of batteries.

big_z

Hnnng. Both next-gen controllers look SO sexy. Greatest gen incoming.

I think both look a bit off. Ps4 has the ugly shiny plastic around the left stick and buttons.
Xbone has some harsh edges and pushing the Xbox logo higher looks weird. But as long as they work and feel great it won't really matter.

Troll

Banned
I think both look a bit off. Ps4 has the ugly shiny plastic around the left stick and buttons.
Xbone has some harsh edges and pushing the Xbox logo higher looks weird. But as long as they work and feel great it won't really matter.

The new guide button isn't hard at all to reach. I was able to press it and draw the attention of the kiosk staff with absolutely no effort.

Lucent

It's 2013 and every home has at least 3 TVs in them now, all of which have remotes that need battieries, in addition to cable boxes or wireless pc mouses.

In this day and age, you'd think people would invest in rechargeable batteries instead of buying a 16 pack twice every year

Yeah my wireless mouse man...I never knew about these batteries but I am gonna try them out.

Wow, they're still bending people over with that play and charge kit bullshit, huh? How long is the battery life on this controller?

nib95

Banned

Buy a longer cable then. You can get them for like £2 on Amazon. If you can afford several Eneloop batteries and a charger, you can afford a £2 cable.

I guarantee it takes you less time to get up and connect that cable then it does to take out batteries, stick them in a charger, stick that charger in a wall socket, and then put in new batteries to carry on playing. That and the charging time is so fast on the cable a few mins charge and you can play several times more than that short charge took as well.

Just to clarify a few things

X1 Controller transmits data when plugged in, unlike the 360 version. So it effectively acts like a wired controller, which is why there is not a separate wired version.

The entire architecture for audio and wireless is different on X1 vs. 360. We wanted several features upgraded from 360, including support for more devices, better audio quality, and improved data bandwidth. This is why the old controllers are not backwards compatible. We'll also be able to transmit stereo audio from the console directly via wireless, so no need for complex headphone systems like you have today.

We made several changes to the d-pad during the life of 360, but one of the problems is the fundamental design of the d-pad made the pivot very long. For the new controller, we completely re-designed the d-pad to bring the mechanical connection to the d-pad to the top, so you're going to see a dramatic improvement in performance and feel.

We literally improved every ergonomic aspect of the controller vs. 360, and yet it will feel completely natural for people used to the current one. My first job when I got on the Xbox team was to kick-off the program for the S controller (codenamed Akebono internally). I've worked on every controller since. This thing guys, honestly, is remarkable. I love it. Can't wait for you to get your hands on it.

Battery life and charging time will be announced later. We're going through final testing on all those things before we publish the specs, but expect most of the critical aspects to remain very close to 360.

Was anyone able to successfully preorder it from the microsoftstore site? Looks like their site is getting slammed. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

X1 Controller transmits data when plugged in, unlike the 360 version. So it effectively acts like a wired controller, which is why there is not a separate wired version.

The entire architecture for audio and wireless is different on X1 vs. 360. We wanted several features upgraded from 360, including support for more devices, better audio quality, and improved data bandwidth. This is why the old controllers are not backwards compatible. We'll also be able to transmit stereo audio from the console directly via wireless, so no need for complex headphone systems like you have today.

We made several changes to the d-pad during the life of 360, but one of the problems is the fundamental design of the d-pad made the pivot very long. For the new controller, we completely re-designed the d-pad to bring the mechanical connection to the d-pad to the top, so you're going to see a dramatic improvement in performance and feel.

We literally improved every ergonomic aspect of the controller vs. 360, and yet it will feel completely natural for people used to the current one. My first job when I got on the Xbox team was to kick-off the program for the S controller (codenamed Akebono internally). I've worked on every controller since. This thing guys, honestly, is remarkable. I love it. Can't wait for you to get your hands on it.

Battery life and charging time will be announced later. We're going through final testing on all those things before we publish the specs, but expect most of the critical aspects to remain very close to 360.

You seem like just the person to ask this question.......

Will we be able to use our fanatec racing wheels on the Xbox one by using a USB connection?

I know it won't work wirelessly, but they have the ability to work through USB, if you don't know could you ask around because their is a loyal community who don't want to think their in investments are unusable.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Buy a longer cable then. You can get them for like £2 on Amazon. If you can afford several Eneloop batteries and a charger, you can afford a £2 cable.

I guarantee it takes you less time to get up and connect that cable then it does to take out batteries, stick them in a charger, stick that charger in a wall socket, and then put in new batteries to carry on playing. That and the charging time is so fast on the cable a few mins charge and you can play several times more than that short charge took as well.

Buy a longer cable? Brilliant! How did I never think of that?

Seriously, are you trying to convince me that my opinion is wrong and that if I had just realized that there were long USB cables that I wouldn't prefer batteries? I don't want a cable connected to my controller when I play and my battery charger is right near the couch, plugged in all the time with backup batteries already charged, while my cables are all stored away so I don't have cables laying around all over the living room so your guarantee is worthless.

Love this feature. Even though I have a decent pair of Sennheisers with a long-ish cable, the distance from me to my home theater system makes it almost impossible. Hope the audio quality is good.

FortMajor

Banned

thanks for the input. Controller looks great. How come you guys didn't include some kind of headset like with the 360?

I hope they also decide to bring back the Quick Charge kit. I essentially keep three Xbox 360 battery packs on rotation with that thing. Would be nice to have that kind of convenience for Xbox One as well.

Madness

Absolutely ridiculous that MS can get away with charging an extra $25 for rechargeable batteries. The DualShock 4 and the XBone controller are both $60 but for XBone you need another $25 for rechargeable batteries. Disgusting.

You do know you can buy a pair of cheap eneloops and a charger right? You don't need to use the MS brand battery pack. And I agree, I'd have preferred built in lithium ion battery pack or something.

As long as data can be transmitted through the cable, somebody will make a working driver for the Xbox One remote, even if MS doesn't.

Warablo

Not a really big fan of the Play and Charge kit. For 360 I have a charging dock and 2 batteries, and I just swap the battery when it's low. I'd much rather do this again than to be tethered to the console.

Then buy rechargeable double AA batteries.

Why do people always see batteries as a negative? My controller is always wireless now... If it used a built in battery I would have to tether for long lengths of time?

The Xbox One doesn't support Bluetooth, so no I don't believe so.

I think there is some slim hope that it can still just sync with the console, because the new controllers still have the same sync button, which the bluetooth headset uses when your not in bluetooth mode.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This really does look like the perfect controller. Looking forward to trying it out eventually.

Top Bottom