• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Enhanced Games - Full List of Titles and Details

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I am debating upgrading my main 4k tv (a budget Vizio) or also upgrading to a 4k monitor (this would be specifically for playing multiplayer shooters since I have NEVER been able to do this properly on a tv.

If I don't do the 4k monitor, I will probably upgrade to a midrange 4k tv with decent HDR and just manually switch to 1080p when I play COD/Halo/etc.

Cannot wait for the 1X!

Bsigg12

I hope one brave 343-er works on making MCC in 4K.

We need Halo up to scratch!

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. MCC is a dumpster fire and is held together by tape and some bubble gum.

That said, I'm stupidly excited to see the update to Halo 5.

I am debating upgrading my main 4k tv (a budget Vizio) or also upgrading to a 4k monitor (this would be specifically for playing multiplayer shooters since I have NEVER been able to do this properly on a tv.

If I don't do the 4k monitor, I will probably upgrade to a midrange 4k tv with decent HDR and just manually switch to 1080p when I play COD/Halo/etc.

Cannot wait for the 1X!

I would wait a little on a new TV unless you can get a great deal in the coming months as they clear out inventory for the early 2018 models.

Gestault

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. MCC is a dumpster fire and is held together by tape and some bubble gum.

That said, I'm stupidly excited to see the update to Halo 5.

It's nice that you're mad about a game. Others might enjoy yet-again enhanced campaigns, with another round of performance boosts for their original purchase (even totally ignoring multiplayer).

Bsigg12

It's nice that you're mad about a game. Others might enjoy yet-again enhanced campaigns, which would obviously involve another round of overall improvements, even totally ignoring multiplayer.

I'm not mad about it. I got my enjoyment out of it and wouldn't mind seeing H2A running in 4K/60 but I can't possibly see them updating it without the fear it will absolutely break everything.

There is so much display stuff in the pipeline it's a pain to wait or pick the right one that makes use of all of the One X enhanced titles features.

2017 OLED is amazing but lacks any variable refresh rate tech, 2018 models may or may not have VRR support. For the money you have to pay to get OLED it would be real nice to have all the features as I'm going to be holding onto that TV for a long time given the cost.

Freesync 2 HDR displays are suspected to be launching in November/December and the One X should support these on paper given it's official Freesync support. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a title AMD is promoting alongside Freesync 2 and the Xbox store page leak shows VRR support for this title.

Although Freesync is meant to be a more strict standard then gen 1 was, AMD have watered down HDR requirements in comparison to the Nvidia G-Sync and TV UHD Premium standards. They've even made it optional so there are going to be Freesync 2 displays with no HDR support at all!

MS should kick Samsung to the curb and team up with LG for promoting OLED, a Freesync VRR enabled 2017 OLED would be a perfect solution for a premium display to go with a premium console like the One X.

On a side issue for HDR;
All the AV nerd forums (where OLED is considered the king of the hill) lit up when Apple announced Dolby Vision/Atmos support for the AppleTV, Apple knows how to generate buzz & the AV guys are all behind DV.

Dolby Vision should at least be an optional purchase on the One X with HDR10 the default option and leave it up to devs to support DV on their own in Xbox consoles.

But on the other side in Windows this handles HDR10 in a terrible fashion and there are lots of awful PC HDR10 (in name only) monitors. If MS wants to get the attention of PC gamers too they need premium solutions like working with Dolby on a variant of Dolby Vision for Windows and have their Xbox PC ports use that exclusively (they don't even do HDR10 as it stands now).

Lucifon

I'm not mad about it. I got my enjoyment out of it and wouldn't mind seeing H2A running in 4K/60 but I can't possibly see them updating it without the fear it will absolutely break everything.

Definitely this, I really feel like the code for that thing is such a mess, it's held together by a shoestring. I don't think they want to touch it again unfortunately. Too many cooks, as they say - too many different devs working on different aspects then all attempting to stitch it together. Ambitious idea but it clearly needed a fair bit longer in development.

Aaron and other MS reps kept tweeting about playing it on Xbox One X as the best way to play so I'm guessing there a upgrade for it Bungie can't announce yet

That would be interesting because I recall Bungie saying both versions would be the same. Well not in those exact words but like how it seemed unlikely One X would be the clear winner. Kinda like how Destiny was exactly the same on One and PS4.

Dolby Vision should at least be an optional purchase on the One X with HDR10 the default option and leave it up to devs to support DV on their own in Xbox consoles.

Given Samsung's and MS's marketing push for Xbox One X on Samsung QLED TVs I think MS will support HDR10+ down the line. HDR10+ is really close to Dolby Vision with the only noticeable differences being that Dolby Vision can exceed 1000nits and 12-bit Dolby Vision should have no banding in all situations (detecting 10-bit banding is really difficult, not something that people are going to often detect outside doing professional work on computer monitors up close).

c0de

That would be interesting because I recall Bungie saying both versions would be the same. Well not in those exact words but like how it seemed unlikely One X would be the clear winner. Kinda like how Destiny was exactly the same on One and PS4.

But Destiny 1 was only 1080p on both and were the best versions because of last gen.
This time, we have the Pro and the PC version and the X could be the console version with the highest resolution and the best textures but I don't know about the differences between PC and Pro, to be honest.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
There is so much display stuff in the pipeline it's a pain to wait or pick the right one that makes use of all of the One X enhanced titles features.

2017 OLED is amazing but lacks any variable refresh rate tech, 2018 models may or may not have VRR support. For the money you have to pay to get OLED it would be real nice to have all the features as I'm going to be holding onto that TV for a long time given the cost.

Freesync 2 HDR displays are suspected to be launching in November/December and the One X should support these on paper given it's official Freesync support. Star Wars Battlefront 2 is a title AMD is promoting alongside Freesync 2 and the Xbox store page leak shows VRR support for this title.

Although Freesync is meant to be a more strict standard then gen 1 was, AMD have watered down HDR requirements in comparison to the Nvidia G-Sync and TV UHD Premium standards. They've even made it optional so there are going to be Freesync 2 displays with no HDR support at all!

MS should kick Samsung to the curb and team up with LG for promoting OLED, a Freesync VRR enabled 2017 OLED would be a perfect solution for a premium display to go with a premium console like the One X.

On a side issue for HDR;
All the AV nerd forums (where OLED is considered the king of the hill) lit up when Apple announced Dolby Vision/Atmos support for the AppleTV, Apple knows how to generate buzz & the AV guys are all behind DV.

But on the other side in Windows this handles HDR10 in a terrible fashion and there are lots of awful PC HDR10 (in name only) monitors. If MS wants to get the attention of PC gamers too they need premium solutions like working with Dolby on a variant of Dolby Vision for Windows and have their Xbox PC ports use that exclusively (they don't even do HDR10 as it stands now).

Personally I will be sticking with the excellent 1080p monitor I bought for my Gears 4 XB1S last year and then hop on a Freesync 2 HDR monitor sometime late next year or earlier once the price is right. A TV will be more cost-effective, but playing at a desk on a monitor has been my thing for a hell of a long time. Even when I wasn't using a monitor, playing on my SNES / Genesis / Dreamcast / OG Xbox were done on small TVs up close, while in combination with the PC gaming I did back then.

I even started on launch day on Xbox 360 with a VGA cable and VGA monitor, then a flat VGA monitor (non-LCD) and never looked back. Having zero input lag from back then made it so hard to play anything like shooters and such by friends with big TVs and large amounts of input lag so I always passed on playing unless it was a fighting game.

KageMaru

Cannot wait for the 1X!

Depending on what size you're looking for, the TCL P605/607 TV is excellent for the price.

They would be doing the Halo community a real service, along with gaining some needed mindshare, if they fixed MCC along with adding 4K resolutions. While improved since launch, there is still a cloud of negativity surrounding that game. It had the chance to be one of the best collection titles out and while gamers won't forget the disastrous launch, they could at least recognize it being a complete package if ever fixed.

But Destiny 1 was only 1080p on both and were the best versions because of last gen.
This time, we have the Pro and the PC version and the X could be the console version with the highest resolution and the best textures but I don't know about the differences between PC and Pro, to be honest.

4K CBR with higher resolution buffers would likely produce the best overall results. There are minimal artifacts due to the CBR but the low resolution buffers absolutely destroy the IQ.

Any idea if Mass Effect Andromeda is going to better on the One X than the regular one?

If not I’ll just get the PS4 version for my Pro.

FN-2187

Any idea if Mass Effect Andromeda is going to better on the One X than the regular one?

If not I’ll just get the PS4 version for my Pro.

I don't believe they have said one way or the other.

Personally, I wouldn't count on it. EA has been pretty good about confirming which games will have X support based on the official list. All of their sports games, Battlefront 2, new NFS and Titanfall 2 have been confirmed.

With it bombing so hard, I assume they won't want to put another penny into that game.

That said, it will probably be free on EA Access by the end of the year, so maybe just wait for that and see if you like the game enough to pay for the PS4 version for your Pro?

But back then 1080p was the best you could hope for and the assets were made with the supported platforms in mind.

Now the game is not native on the Pro, there are higher quality effects and assets available in the Pc version, so not having any enhancements on Xbonex means they intentionally not using everything that's available to make both versions equal. (While in the previous game they just didn't have anything higher quality to pull form)

I don't believe they have said one way or the other.

Personally, I wouldn't count on it. EA has been pretty good about confirming which games will have X support based on the official list. All of their sports games, Battlefront 2, new NFS and Titanfall 2 have been confirmed.

With it bombing so hard, I assume they won't want to put another penny into that game.

That said, it will probably be free on EA Access by the end of the year, so maybe just wait for that and see if you like the game enough to pay for the PS4 version for your Pro?

Without official support, would it have any advantages performance wise over the base Xbox One version? Like say the boost mode for PS4?

FN-2187

Without official support, would it have any advantages performance wise over the base Xbox One version? Like say the boost mode for PS4?

All games on Xbox One X (even those that are not patched) will get:

•Improved framerate stability
•Games utilizing a dynamic resolution will hit their max resolution more often/all the time.
•16xAF texture filtering will be automatically applied.
•Forced v-sync
•VRR compatibility (if you have a compatible display)

As this point, it's kind of anyone's educated guess how much of a difference this will make in individual games, but I highly doubt an unpatched ME:A on X will be anywhere near as good as the Pro version.

Personally I'm liking the 16xAF thing. I think it will help a lot of titles and BC games too!

anisofiltercompare.jpg

When compared to bilinear and trilinear, which I'm guessing a lot of BC games, it gets even more evident:

anisofilter.jpg

shanafan

Damn nice that NHL is getting an X upgrade. Without any means to play a recent NHL game on PC, this is the next best alternative.

DESTROYA

Sort of late to the party but will the one x have improved frame rates for 1080p users across the board or only for select games?
Funds are a little tight and not sure if I even want to upgrade to 4K, I prefer higher stable frame rates than more res.

Tarry

Sort of late to the party but will the one x have improved frame rates for 1080p users across the board or only for select games?
Funds are a little tight and not sure if I even want to upgrade to 4K, I prefer higher stable frame rates than more res.
It will depend honestly, older titles will likely all run better on the Xbox One X even if they don't have an official patch, less or no dropped frames for example. For newer titles like on the PS4 Pro, it should be generally safe to assume that the One X will run games more smoothly and more consistently at the target framerate, whatever that might be.

Fukuzatsu

Assuming it's anything like the PS4 Pro, for non-patched games they will hit target framerates better on XBOX, or go as high as possible if they were unlocked to begin with.

Games locked at 30 will not go higher any higher than 30, however, without a patch.

Colbert

Banned

Just a few comments above it was explained what you get with unpatched games!

See below:

All games on Xbox One X (even those that are not patched) will get:

•Improved framerate stability
•Games utilizing a dynamic resolution will hit their max resolution more often/all the time.
•16xAF texture filtering will be automatically applied.
•Forced v-sync

In addition to that you get also faster load times due to the fact that 4GB of memory will be used as a ram disk + the available GPU performance is 3TF which is double the performance of a normal Xbox One.

Yes watched this last week. Really worth a watch.

Thanks for posting here. These guys are really nice to have in the industry. They know they're stuff.

Yeah, they are a God send for those not so tech savvy, like myself :)

Also read this article whilst relaxing into Monday in the office:

This is a hell of a long-form article from Wired

The inside story of the Xbox One X

Microsoft has created the world’s most powerful console. Could this next-generation machine lead to the rise of games as high art?

In the former document archives of a Seattle-based insurance firm lurks the quietest room in the world. The human ear can hear down to zero decibels. Here, the sound of silence has been measured down to negative 20. “Welcome to the world of quiet,” whispers Gopal Gopal, a diminutive, middle-aged psychoacoustician working for Microsoft’s Devices division. As he closes the door, Gopal’s voice changes. I’m suddenly aware of the blood flow in my head. My ears ring and I swallow hard, as if rapidly descending from altitude. He’s standing beside me, but Gopal’s voice is struggling to pass through the air.

To get this quiet, you’ve got to go to extreme lengths. The entire room, which was designed by Gopal, is cut off from the rest of Microsoft’s Building 87 and suspended on 63 giant springs. An air gap surrounds it and the walls are so thick that were a jumbo jet to take off outside the door, the sound inside the chamber would barely be louder than someone speaking. “It’s a floating chamber,” Gopal says, bobbing on the spot and directing my gaze towards the floor. Beneath our feet is a see-through mesh of steel cables, the same kind used to snare fighter jets landing on aircraft carriers. I look down, peering at the cones of sound-absorbing foam that continue into the gloom. The lights and sprinklers are also designed to ensure as little noise is reflected as possible. This room alone – Microsoft’s Redmond campus has more than 20 chambers with varying degrees of quietness – cost more than $1.5 million (£1.2m).

It’s here, in his temple of silence, that Gopal measures the noise made by computer fans. “There’s no such thing as a fan sound. There are different kinds of fan noises,” he says, smiling and moving his hands through the unpleasantly silent air for emphasis. “Power supplies make humming sounds. LEDs make humming sounds. When you’re playing a game and the fan heats up, it makes sounds. It is when we get quieter that we begin to hear those things.” To measure sound, he continues, you need to take readings in absolute silence. “A room like this offers an absolutely controlled environment. Any time a sound is made, it’s reflected by the surfaces around you. This cuts out the internal reflections, so our measurements are pure.” With an incredibly accurate measurement, you can make incredibly small adjustments. “So, what else do we do with this chamber? All kinds of measurements of sound – keyboard sounds, power-on and -off sounds, audio quality, Skype quality,” Gopal explains.

In recent months, Gopal’s team has been tasked with obsessing over just one noise: the sound of a games console switching on. “With the Xbox One, we got good feedback that people liked the sound when you turned it on and off.” He approaches Microsoft’s latest games console, the Xbox One X, which is perched on a spindly table in the middle of the room. “I will turn it on and tell you what we’ve done a bit differently,” he says, pressing the button and rapping his knuckles in the air as the console lets out a rapid-fire beep... beep-beep. “Do you get that?” he asks, excitedly. I stare back at him, bemused. “Those three tones, between the second and third, we shaved off about 25 milliseconds. You can ask: ‘What are these guys doing?’ but 25 milliseconds is very significant for the auditory system. You know something changes. You get the sense of, ‘Ah, it has speeded up’. It’s a teaser to say we have a faster, more powerful Xbox.”

There is an awful lot more at the link below, well worth a read though.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/xbox-one-x-inside-story-microsoft

I was watching some GTA V videos today on YouTube, PC version. And it got me thinking how much I'd want a patch for One X. I mean look at Witcher 3 on Pro now. Clean as hell, no aliasing. And GTA V could look like that too. But instead of that we get LA Noire again. Which is all fine but man, it's just a shame. This game deserves it.

Poppyseed

On a side issue for HDR;

Honestly, there's never any right time to switch to a display tech. All I can say is the 2017 LG OLEDs are fan-freaking-tastic. There's no better picture on the market, and they are - without doubt - the best gaming TV you can get.

I was watching some GTA V videos today on YouTube, PC version. And it got me thinking how much I'd want a patch for One X. I mean look at Witcher 3 on Pro now. Clean as hell, no aliasing. And GTA V could look like that too. But instead of that we get LA Noire again. Which is all fine but man, it's just a shame. This game deserves it.

Probably can't afford it. :-|

Gitaroo

I hope they will go extra miles with bc by adding smaa. This is the best post AA option that doesn’t blur IQ, UI and should be cheap as well. Lots of old 360 games should benefit from it.

Hawk269

We are now less than 30 days from release and we have not heard any updates or seen a single game running in 360 BC or an existing Xbox One game running on Xbox One X. We've seen lots of Forza 7 footage but I think a lot of us would appreciate some info being that we are -30 days out.

What I would like to see...maybe an extended Weekly Xbox Major Nelson Show:

Week 1: We will cover some of the top 360 games and how they look and perform on Xbox One X and how 16xAF for free impacts games.

Week 2: We will cover some of the top/most popular Xbox One games running on Xbox One X without enhancement Patches.

Week 3: We will cover some of the top/most popular Xbox One games that have had specific Xbox One X Patches designed to take advantage of the Xbox One X. The worlds most powerful console! (had to add that at some point...lol).

Week 4 (or a few days before launch): Unboxing and initial boot up of the system. How the UI runs on Xbox One X, Comparing Load times between regular Xbox One and Xbox One X, original Xbox games on Xbox One X & special not known features of Xbox One X (stretching on that one).

These would be official MS Sponsored video's, but MS also giving Digital Foundry access to some of the stuff as well for them to run stories and analysis prior to launch.

scently

Yeah. I would like to see some videos of games like; Gears 4, Halo 5, FH3, etc.

I think DF do have a few vids they are not sharing yet for some reason. I remember after Gamescon they said the would do some analysis on Shadow of War and AssCreed. And I think they have videos of Gears 4 from the MS X1X press show a few weeks back.

Top Bottom