• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sooo not buying the Xbox One ! I wasn't anyway not because of this always on but the fact that the console looks unattractive to me, the conference was beyond crap.

Seriously, i hope Microsoft or whoever wants to follow that strategy to fail hard ! This is disgusting.

I hope to god Sony doesn't go this route.

PC =/= Consoles

THis. I mostly put up with the restrictive shit on PC because I get a lot more features and free content as a pay off... on consoles? Fuck that shit.

If I can't bring that game home, put it in and play right away, it's not a console. It's not a product I want to own.

Plug and Play.

Demon Ice

Banned
How nice of them to give us permission to play the game we bought.

I'm giving them permission to kiss my ass as I enjoy the PS4.

I think Sony will do the same shit. Validation only once during installation of the game, then you "allowed" to plat offline. 500 Gigabyte is so fu""ING small. I hope you can can upgrade your harddisk ala ps3 style.

Sony actually cares about developing markets. No way in hell that they have online activation. That is the kiss of death to the console in poorer countries.

You know, I'd like to be the one guy that is cautiously optimistic about this system. Going into a purely digital console universe could drop prices as hard as Steam did. Think about paying for a brand new $60 game, playing it for 12 hours, and then selling it back at $35 with the click of a button. This has its problems, but it could potentially end Gamestop.

RedShift

Next gen the Kinect 3 will require retinal scans to ensure no one steals the game by playing it on a console they don't own.

Mudkips

Banned
Except Steam removes the barrier of cracking out a code, punching it in by hand (and this will be on a controller no less. delicious...) and then inevitably losing the key.

It'll likely be scannable by Kinect. If not, LOL.
And once you use it it's tied to your account, so you can throw the code slip away.

Of course it's a fucking terrible system and I won't support it.

Everyone keeps saying "Sounds like Steam." Have you looked at MS's prices for Xbox Games on Demand recently?? Jesus.

Not just that, but can you mod Xbox games? Can you add custom game modes and shit tons of free content to games like Skyrim or to be more blunt, can you get a free TF2 on xbox?

Steam is bearable because you can get games dirt cheap, it's bearable because the platform has several inherent benefits that you don't get from consoles.
It's bearable because there is value to it, and if the lawsuit against Valve in Germany goes through, we might even be able to resell our games in the future. Even on Steam. (I'd have no problem with them hosting a marketplace and get a cut of the resale value as a service provider)

RPGCrazied

Yeah, Microsoft is seeing $0 dollars from me. Sony already said they aren't doing this, neither is the Wii U. So I now know what my next gen purchases are, just got to save up.

So in order to play *ANY* game, I would have to connect to the network and activate it first? Does that make the "always online" true? I mean it doesn't matter if you need internet connectivity to play offline games when you need to pass the online-activation wall first.

UraMallas

THis. I mostly put up with the restrictive shit on PC because I get a lot more features and free content as a pay off... on consoles? Fuck that shit.

If I can't bring that game home, put it in and play right away, it's not a console. It's not a product I want to own.

Plug and Play.
My man. The reason I play consoles is for ease of use. When you take that away from me what do you have? A closed system with locked specs that doesn't fucking play my old games. Yeah. That's what I needed in my life. Put it in my life, MS.

Demon Ice

Banned
The "sounds like Steam" crowd are in for a shock when they realize their brand new games are suddenly not dropping in price. Enjoy paying $60 for your non-moddable games with paid multiplayer.

I'll be on Steam playing my modded copy of Skyrim I got for $5 on sale.

Erasus

Sounds like steam but people will troll it anyways.

No. As other have said:

1. I can buy a new PC and all my games will work and download. Next MS console? Probably not.

2. Steam sales. Daily sales. Season sales. My latest purchases on Steam are
Spec Ops The Line 5 Euros
The Witcher 2 8 Euros
Darksiders 2 + DLC 25 Euros
The Darkness 2 10 Euros

Will Live or PSN have sales like this? I dont think so.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks like Sony is going to win this generation by a lot.

I almost feel like this is an elaborate ruse on MS's part to force everyone toward PC. The PC is relevant again! It's genius if you think about it...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The "sounds like Steam" crowd are in for a shock when they realize their brand new games are suddenly not dropping in price. Enjoy paying $60 for your non-moddable games with paid multiplayer.

Let's not forget that Steam auto-enters the key for you, unless you buy physical.

Rocky

Banned
So any chance of a class action lawsuit about Microsoft belittling the first-sale doctrine?

Anyway, one day I'll be able to show my kids a SEGA megadrive, you put a cartridge, you hit the power button and you are ready to play and they'll be in awe about it for that reason. Then again I guess you did have to read the instruction manual in those days (or if you were too excited at least skip to the controls page) rather than have the game force you down some tutorials that read it out for you.

I wonder if all this backlash will lead to some sort of grassroots generation or offshot.

MS isn't belittling anything, especially the "First Sale Doctrine". You can still sell your game or put it on ebay or whatever. They aren't preventing that at all. The poor schmuck who buys it will be paying for it twice though.

Demon Ice

Banned
Seriously, it will be in everyone's best interest if this thing fails. If you're a gamer and actually care about quality of gaming experiences, don't fucking buy an Xbox One.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just incredible... It's PC gaming CD keys without all of the benefits of a PC.

It's even worse because people actually have to go to the trouble of manually entering a code... goddamn.

My sounds like Steam post was specifically about the activation process sounding like how its done on Steam. has nothing to do with thinking games will be cheaper.

B.O.O.M

Why man why!? What the fuck ...who came up with these brilliant ideas exactly?

38055919.jpg

UraMallas

Seriously, it will be in everyone's best interest if this thing fails. If you're a gamer and actually care about quality of gaming experiences, don't fucking buy an Xbox One.
I know this sounds drastic and I try to be rational... But it sounds right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom