• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm OK with this. If it means I don't have to swap discs anymore, it's fine with me. My XBOX is always online and it's not like I need to be online to play the game, just to activate it.

Just bought a game, come home all ready to install and play....DAMN MY ISP IS DOING MAINTENANCE WTF I CANT PLAY MAH NEW GAME

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
if you think about it.

this is all your fault.

you.

bending over, saying online pass isnt a big deal.

online only isnt a big deal.

FUCK YOU., YOU!

Yep. I've never paid for any of that crap and never will. Fuck those who did that paved the way for this abomination.

And they have my permission to die in poverty and shame after consumers kick their arrogant asses.

Sadly, Simcity brouhaha shows what is possible nowadays without being noticed by the vast majority of buyers.

Erasus

Like Steam without backwards compat and steam sales

This. My 155 games on Steam/Origin I can play when I switch computers/upgrade.

And I probably spent 500$ on all those games combined over a period of 4 years.

Sales man, sales. Live/PSN does not have that to the same extent.

kinggroin

Banned
Most of the folks expressing outrage at this will more than likely buy into it anyway, further validating the use of these anti-consumer practices.

It's these same gamers that got us here in the first place.

Partition

Banned
I'm OK with this. If it means I don't have to swap discs anymore, it's fine with me. My XBOX is always online and it's not like I need to be online to play the game, just to activate it.

You're right, you can't swap disks anymore, but instead you better give your friend your credit card to purchase that $60 code

linkboy

Thank you MS, you actually managed to make my Wii U purchase look fantastic (and I like that system).

Holy crap, I'm literally speechless at what MS is doing. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Any self-respecting console gamer should tell MS to FUCK OFF and not even bother with this disaster of a "console".

No wonder the western 3rd parties love this machine, it's tailor made for them.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh Phil... You poor SOB. I really feel bad that you have to sale this garbage.

fDOTjGs.jpg

Metalmarc

At least have the common decency to use code wheels so we can get some amount of fun out of putting in the key.
0ydHemJ.jpg

Nah remeber the code book with c64 teenage mutant hero (ninja) turtles? It was a mauve or brown booklet that had small type font and u needed, a fucking ruler and a light and patience?

And how stupid was it that in the uk they censored it to teenage mutant HERO turtles, instead of ninja, ninja wasnt allowed for kids in the late 80s/90s over here, allegedly

Loomba

Almost everything I've heard today from the Xbox One has been bad, it will need amazing games to make me consider buying it at this point.

TUROK

I'm still waiting for the announcement that will actually make me want to buy one of these things.

It seems like they're doing their damndest to make people not want to buy one.

Metal B

So it isn't a real console (Plug & Play) anymore and more like a PC (Wait to install games and enter codes). So i got a PC ... why do i need an XON?

Tacitus_

I really do not believe that microsoft will be doing the amount of discounts on software that Steam and other due based on how they currently handle their "sales". We will see but I am not holding my breath for it...

Most likely not, but it's not like product keys were introduced with Steam (or Steam had those sales from the start). All in all, welcome to the early 2000's in PC gaming, console guys. Enjoy.

Brashnir

...but you won't! You'll just have to say it aloud hoping the Xbot understand all the numbers and letters you say! :D

Actually, showing the thing to the camera is a feasible way to make it less of a hassle.

Of course, that's assuming the thing can read a card reliably.

"It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like,"

OH WOW MICROSOFT. I have permission. Fucking gorgeous. I have permission to play the game I payed an extortionate fee for. You generous fucking gentlemen. You deserve a prize for your human compassion and kindness.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Just some time ago, someone said, console gaming is like PC gaming but you go back in time like 5 years.

Seems like he was right. A Steambox without any of Steam's advantages.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Looks like that gif that was posted in the funny pics thread yesterday is actually going to get some use.... although it seems like Microsoft is the one shotting themselves instead of Nintendo.

daily_gifdump_38_03.gif

Revan

Can someone explain why this is a bad thing?

It seems like you can still play the game offline, you just have to initially authenticate it.

What if you live somewhere were you aren't connected to the Internet, you get the New Xbox One for Christmas....only to find out you cannot play any games because you can't activate them without being online

It's a fucking joke.

Complete. Fucking. Joke.

Looks like Adam Orth was right.

Woffls

This would have been a problem last year when I didn't have the Internet all year. My only option would be tethering to a mobile and validating over 3/4G. Even today my Internet has been awful. Gave up on Netflix and even just web browsing a few times.

Point is, we aren't ready for this. Maybe in a few years, but until then Microsoft will be hoping we are optimistic about broadband infrastructure.

This seems like a really bad move seeing how Gamestop (and any other retailer in the used game business) will all but officially support/promote PS4 and Wii U now.Also, has it been mentioned if there will be a special system set up for game rentals (specifically Gamefly and Redbox)?

They won't even need to. Imagine 3 years into next gen. I, the causal gamer, walk into a store and notice that the Xbox 1 section of used games is missing. There's a robust PS4 and WiiU game selection, but ZERO second hand MS games.

I work in sales. We have a saying. Sometimes out best salesman is our competition. This is one of those times.

I don't even buy second hand games. The fact that they're trying to sell me a game full price because my brother in law brought Halo or whatever over is asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom