• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
You better hope that the PS4 doesn't follow the same tune, or you're only going to be running a Gamestop with entirely last gen stuff (no BC lol).
PS4 will only do it if the publisher wants it. Then it's time to vote with your wallet and drive those out of business.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You can deactivate your games and give them away if you want, can't do that on steam. Not the biggest fan of steam, don't like their customer service support; but this seems almost the same.

Sure, but then whoever you gave it to for free will have to actually still spend money to activate that game you just gave them. I recently sold a bunch of old games I had laying around for $180 or so....how much do you think I could sell them for if the buyer knew he had to pay even more once he got home to activate them?

Man, I cannot wait until parents around the world start buying used XBO games for their kids at a high rate and then are hit with a second fee. Ridiculous!

Mengetsu

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

pHDQc.gif

Sad day in gaming.

entremet

Can someone explain why this is a bad thing?

It seems like you can still play the game offline, you just have to initially authenticate it.

It kills the aftermarket. Some people like buying used games for price and funding new games with used game sales.

Durante

PC gaming is healthier than it's ever been. MS closed all their studios because they hated the non-monetized, non-licensed nature of the games. They desperately wanted to kill PC gaming so they could start collecting that 10 dollar licensing fee on every game sold.

I realize this is off-topic, but I figured you should at least get you facts correct. Also, PC has thrived since Steam has taken off. Clearly there are a million reasons for this, but it's not exactly what you should be basing your argument on.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, PC comparisons miss the point -- wit this system you get the drawback of PC purchases while not benefiting from any of the numerous advantages of open platforms.

I think Sony will do the same shit. Validation only once during installation of the game, then you "allowed" to plat offline. 500 Gigabyte is so fu""ING small. I hope you can can upgrade your harddisk ala ps3 style.

The overall idea is still that you need a network connection to get the train moving.

If I take my console to a country house that has no internet, I pick up a new game disc at a local store - I am fucked. Then it does not matter because intermittent online differs very little from constant online.

Plus I am certain they will do regular checks for serial validity as well.

We have not heard the last of this lie.

Wasn't there a story that it checks every few minutes and then stops the game if it can't find a connection on the 3rd attempt or something like that? So many of the other rumors have turned out to be true today...

parasight

I'm OK with this. If it means I don't have to swap discs anymore, it's fine with me. My XBOX is always online and it's not like I need to be online to play the game, just to activate it.

Duster

So at some point in the distant future when the servers are all turned off you can't buy any more games for your console. If that console then breaks none of your games will work.

(yes I made this same post in another thread)

PaulLFC

So then what about people without internet or in places where internet connections are unreliable? No Xbox games for them? Horrible decision.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
As a PC gamer this pleases me.

I really do not believe that microsoft will be doing the amount of discounts on software that Steam and other due based on how they currently handle their "sales". We will see but I am not holding my breath for it...

So at some point in the distant future when the servers are all turned off you can't buy any more games for your console. If that console then breaks none of your games will work.

(yes I made this same post in another thread)

Thats what I think really sucks. Once they say its time for XBOX2, everything can be shut down and youll be fucked.

BadAss2961

Keys, mandatory install... So there's basically no point to going out and buying discs for Xbox One. It's Steam, but with Microsoft instead of Valve.

Good luck with that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It seems like you can still play the game offline, you just have to initially authenticate it.

If you play a game. Finish it. And then want to trade that game in for another. At the moment with Xbox One. You can't.
Nor can you pop into your local games store and buy a second hand game for Xbox One.

It's full retail or nothing. That's why it's bad.

And what if your account or console get's banned. You're left with a bunch of worthless discs. It's very anti-consumer.

Deku Tree

I can't wait for the threads "my game had no activation code in it".

I have no interest in paying $60 or more for a game that requires further permission to use.

Speaking for myself here, I still play a lot of old games which are over a decade old. You can bet the XB1 servers probably won't still be going after that same timeframe, in which case - those games are worthless plastic by then.

G-Bus

Banned

I'm still trying to figure this out myself.

Sounds more annoying to me than anything else. I'm sure there are people without the most reliable connections that would probably make them think twice about getting the new xbox.

Definitely a weird way going the whole CD-Key route. Sounds so fucking old to me. Surprised they couldn't have come up with something new.

Blades64

Banned
So in essence the One being "always on" is true. If I lack an internet connection, I won't be able to get past the first hurdle to even play the game...

seantos

Neo Member
They better pray that xbox live never goes down again now. This is going to be the diablo 3 and sim city launches all over again every time a major game comes out or there is a holiday like Christmas. Also they better hope they don't draw the attention of a group like anonymous and have them DDOS it.

Z3M0G

if you think about it.

this is all your fault.

you.

bending over, saying online pass isnt a big deal.

online only isnt a big deal.

FUCK YOU., YOU!

I still say it began with the advent of DLC... we should have stopped that shit in its tracks. Now it has become as bad as I imagined. And it only took one console generation.

I can honestly not imagine what will be taken away next... but they will find something.

SiskoKid

It kills the aftermarket. Some people like buying used games for price and funding new games with used game sales.

But we don't know anything about how used games will work. Phil stated there are solutions there they aren't ready to discuss.

As for authenticating a game you purchased, that makes total sense to me. The only downside if once authenticated you can't take a disc to a friend's house to play it. Not ideal, but unfortunately you'll have to invite a friend over to your house instead.

Xilium

This seems like a really bad move seeing how Gamestop (and any other retailer in the used game business) will all but officially support/promote PS4 and Wii U now.

Also, has it been mentioned if there will be a special system set up for game rentals (specifically Gamefly and Redbox)?

coldfoot

Banned
My most expensive DD purchase EVER was $15 on PSN, precisely because I can't sell it/loan it/carry it with me.
It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay $60 for a game that I can't recoup the cost later on.

So exactly how often will I be required to have an internet connection?

Only on installs? Do I have to be signed into Xbox Live to launch those installed games? To continue playing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom