• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So any chance of a class action lawsuit about Microsoft belittling the first-sale doctrine?

Anyway, one day I'll be able to show my kids a SEGA megadrive, you put a cartridge, you hit the power button and you are ready to play and they'll be in awe about it for that reason. Then again I guess you did have to read the instruction manual in those days (or if you were too excited at least skip to the controls page) rather than have the game force you down some tutorials that read it out for you.

I wonder if all this backlash will lead to some sort of grassroots generation or offshot.

MechaX

So if I'm running Gamestop, what incentive do I have to carry the Xbox One, given that I cannot profit off of used games?

I hope this backfires on them BIG TIME.

You better hope that the PS4 doesn't follow the same tune, or you're only going to be running a Gamestop with entirely last gen stuff (no BC lol).

FtsH

Dear MS, I bought this game, now can I play it? Plz, can I play it? (say in baby voice, with begging expression on face)

1-D_FTW

Not a major issue?

PC sales have been in the dumpster for a decade. In fact, PC sales were doing so badly, MS closed all their PC game studios.

Is that the model MS wants to follow?

PC gaming is healthier than it's ever been. MS closed all their studios because they hated the non-monetized, non-licensed nature of the games. They desperately wanted to kill PC gaming so they could start collecting that 10 dollar licensing fee on every game sold.

I realize this is off-topic, but I figured you should at least get you facts correct. Also, PC has thrived since Steam has taken off. Clearly there are a million reasons for this, but it's not exactly what you should be basing your argument on.

commedieu

Banned
Bullshit. I can sell it at the price I set, no external fee's involved

Its copyright/ protected material. Just saying.. you buy say, star wars on disc? You don't own it. You own the right to watch it. Like i said, its a technicality, but.. http://lifehacker.com/5888488/how-youre-breaking-the-law-every-day-and-what-you-can-do-about-it

buncha grey areas, and no one is going to come after anyone. But I always found it interesting, the deal that companies are technically giving you. This is what they've wanted to do (With these laws) to begin with, so as we progress. Shit like this is going to happen more and more since technology allows such keys/tracking/activation.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Permission? MS needs to hire a coach ASAP to handle communication around this topic. Someone lost their job on twitter, and it's still not under control.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Quick question; have Sony expressly stated anywhere that they won't be using a pass? I know they said they won't block used games, but does that specifically mean no pass?

If Sony don't use a pass now then it's all over for MS from the core market. All eyes on Sony now...

Sony's position is still not clear.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I guess this confirms Harrison was a mole sent in by Sony to sabotage the Xbox division.

vTJ5rsI.gif

SiskoKid

Can someone explain why this is a bad thing?

It seems like you can still play the game offline, you just have to initially authenticate it.

Quick question; have Sony expressly stated anywhere that they won't be using a pass? I know they said they won't block used games, but does that specifically mean no pass?

If Sony don't use a pass now then it's all over for MS from the core market. All eyes on Sony now....

jacobs34

I wonder if you can have multiple accounts on the console. So i.e., if I want to bring a game over to show a friend on his/her Xbox One, I can load my account on their system to get around having to pay for the game on that system.

Brashnir

You still ahve to do that for some games, just to get it into Steam.

Have we had any info on the games having the code printed inside (Massive mistake and open to stealing codes from legit customers) or something on the disc that authorizes it?

Some. And even in those cases, Steam pops up a window and gives you the ability to copy/paste the code rather than punching it in manually.

If you're going to take away my rights as a consumer, you had better offer me something in return. This not only takes them, it adds an additional hassle on top of it, and then a price gouge to boot.

Fuck. This. I just counted the number of 360 game boxes on my shelf - there's 89 of them. All bought new. There's another 50 or so XBLA games on my account. I hope Microsoft realizes that the customers that this pisses off are the ones who tend to buy the most software.

CSX

I have to enter a serial key? I have to be connected online?

Xbox One games at retail are pretty much PC retail games from a decade ago lol...

and with how these used game fees are going to work, this whole console will be Steam minus the mega-sales. And even if they plan to do mega-sales, it won't be till years down the road when they got their marketplace nice and full of digital downloads to do so.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The overall idea is still that you need a network connection to get the train moving.

If I take my console to a country house that has no internet, I pick up a new game disc at a local store - I am fucked. Then it does not matter because intermittent online differs very little from constant online.

Plus I am certain they will do regular checks for serial validity as well.

We have not heard the last of this lie.

Yes. I think your right on that point.

jwk94

Hold on. If Sony were to follow suit and kept their same US PSN update schedule, that means you can't play a game until the activation code goes live right?

i-Lo

Isn't our father in heaven, Mr. Harrison merciful to give us "permission". We are truly blessed in his sacred light.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol fuck that noise! Permission? It's MY game, I just bought it.

I'm not expecting Sony to do the same AT ALL.

It's like Steambox with advertisements, Kinect harassment and no advantages of a PC ( sales, fast distribution, upgradable etc ).

Jb

Always interesting to see some people will champion practices that have zero benefits to us consumers and will lessen the value of the games we purchase. I guess more people have MSFT stock than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom