• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
Wow it's almost as if I OWN the game. But of course, if I want to sell the product I bought...

You don't own cassets/records/dvd's/vhs/anything. You buy a right to own the disc, the view the content. The content is still owned. You don't have permission to broadcast content on certain screen sizes either. Just a fyi. A technical fyi, but none the less.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"Our console does not require you to be online at all times."

Fucking lying pieces of shit. GTFO

They are not lying. Try learning to read. Once your game is authorised. You can play it without having a internet connection.

EDIT. And I'm not happy about it either... :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
What happens in 2020 when the Xbox Two is out and they have to shut off the servers for Xbox One. Can't activate any games you buy anymore? Better hope your system never spits the bit?

I'm sure they'll graciously sell you a remake of that game you want for $69.99 on the Xbox Two, though! Disposable generations. They're coming.

megalowho

More serial keys, for real? Minor complaint, but all that fancy camera tech in the Kinect and they couldn't find a more elegant solution?

Raide

Except Steam removes the barrier of cracking out a code, punching it in by hand (and this will be on a controller no less. delicious...) and then inevitably losing the key.

More importantly, Steam offers great deals on games all the time. Any guess on how often you get packs of 50 games for 40 bucks on XBox Live on this thing?

You still ahve to do that for some games, just to get it into Steam.

Have we had any info on the games having the code printed inside (Massive mistake and open to stealing codes from legit customers) or something on the disc that authorizes it?

So lemme get this straight.

Must install all games

To install game must be connected to the Internet

So....we need online for the console, just not "always-online"(?) --- still somewhat unknown

No used games (activation keys are transferable via some later to be determined/explained online-only method)

Fucking train wreck. All the rumors were right.

Lakitu

st5fu
lol, this is fucking absurd. One, the need to activate a game I just bought and two, getting permission from Microsoft to play the game I just bought with my money.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Guess that combined with the used games thing will be their downfall. To all you inconsistent internet access people, they don't want your money. To all you people who just wanted a top of the line game system and could care less about TV integration, you get this settop box thing instead (EU and Asia, they don't want your money). At least they are letting you know which segment of consumers they care about! Now you all know! THEY DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY!!

I think that permission comment is gold!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nintendo can't even tie accounts to systems. Microsoft wants to tie your entire game collection to the system?

Fucking unbelievable.

BlazinAm

Yeah but how much will you get for that used game if MS is charging the buyer "full" price to activate?

At least Steam has amazing sales, that could be a saving grace if MS does as well but it is still a hard fucking sell.

You can deactivate your games and give them away if you want, can't do that on steam. Not the biggest fan of steam, don't like their customer service support; but this seems almost the same.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My head is actually spinning. MS have gone full on mad king crazy. My word. "Just think of it as a new game". Fuck me, why not eh! WHY NOT.

Oppo

OMG...........I just want to see what Sony is gonna do...

Sony is going to just stand back and leave it to the publishers. And I suppose there's a very good chance now that Electronic Arts games on PS4 will actually require the system just like the Xbox ones. But they will distance themselves from it, and just simply point out the developers can do what they like. So just like they can on the PC, to be fair (SimCity).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
"permission"

Bad choice of words.
This is no different to what they do on 360, you buy the license to play the game not the game itself. Only now they can enforce it. It's an online pass for the whole game, for all games. Microsoft don't make consoles so you can make money from selling games.

The Jason

You don't own cassets/records/dvd's/vhs/anything. You buy a right to own the disc, the view the content. The content is still owned. You don't have permission to broadcast content on certain screen sizes either. Just a fyi. A technical fyi, but none the less.

Bullshit. I can sell it at the price I set, no external fee's involved

GHG

Permission? Why thank you so much Microsoft for allowing me to play the game I just purchased. Thank you so much.

So this has Windows 8, you need to install games using a code and you need to be online to do so. Sounds like a PC with none of the benefits to me.

coldfoot

Banned
So if I'm running Gamestop, what incentive do I have to carry the Xbox One, given that I cannot profit off of used games?

I hope this backfires on them BIG TIME.

eh? I don't have a problem with this at all. I have been using Steam since Day 1 and I have over 400 games on there...

used games can go to hell.

GamerSoul

Don't miss the best part!

Man, with this, and WiiU in the state it is, Sony doesn't have to do that much to get ahead on sales. Just don't do this and you are set.

Here is hoping the bolded part means playing it online requiers to buy it again, but offline is fine.

...same fucking price? I don't care if it's for online this stuff is not sounding like shit. I think theyre basically saying they want to go all digital so they can make more of a profit.

U2NUMB

I think it is safe to assume the passionate people at MS that built the original xbox and even the 360 are no longer in control.. sadly this is so over thought by the wrong people I am very sad..

Competition is good however so lets hope Sony does the smart thing and PC gaming continues to do well and new things like Rift catch on.

Edit: So local news just had it and of course they love it.. marketed to the masses for sure.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So lemme get this straight.

Must install all games

To install game must be connected to the Internet

So....we need online for the console, just not "always-online"(?) --- still somewhat unknown

No used games (activation keys are transferable via some later to be determined/explained online-only method)

Fucking train wreck. All the rumors were right.

At least it will stop folks getting games early and posting spoilers....

ZnNmEct.jpg

Perfect.

glaurung

They are not lying. Try learning to read. Once your game is authorised. You can play it without having a internet connection.

EDIT. And I'm not happy about it either... :(
The overall idea is still that you need a network connection to get the train moving.

If I take my console to a country house that has no internet, I pick up a new game disc at a local store - I am fucked. Then it does not matter because intermittent online differs very little from constant online.

Plus I am certain they will do regular checks for serial validity as well.

We have not heard the last of this lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom