• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

You are correct, I am swamped with kids atm. But still, the question you answered was in comparison. He just wanted to know if there was a difference. What you basically said was yes... but it doesn't matter because of x...

I used to lay tile. If someone asked me if it was easier to lay x tile vs y tile I wouldn't say well yes it is easier to lay x tile but it doesn't matter because I then have a bunch of y tile to lay as well... That doesn't make sense because if I have so many square feet to lay in the first place then it is a blessing that some of it can be done with x tile vs b tile. It also doesn't take away from the fact that x tile is indeed easer to lay period. I understand that you are basically saying that there is now more work overall... But that wasn't the question. Also, would you actually only make one version just for scorpio if it where the start of a new gen and it wasn't mandated? How often did that actually happen last time? How many developers made strictly next gen versions of games right off the bat? Are you saying that you would rather just work on a Scorpio version and leave all the money that could be made with an XB1 version on the table? So, if you where going to make both versions anyway, wouldn't it be a blessing that it is easier to dev on Scorpio than XB1?

I'm just saying that it's a good thing period that the scorpio version is easier to dev for, with or without a mandate to make a version for XB1 and it's ok to say so without any modifiers.

I'm seriously not coming at you man. I'm just trying to show you why some here think you are constantly downplaying advantages.

EDIT: I should say though, that you are nowhere near as bad as Liabe Brave lol and I don't know why people singled you out first. Probably because they figured you where more level headed/unbiased and willing to listen.
The original question was about using the Scorpio dev kit over the original dev kit. So my answer was completely accurate, because the Scorpio kit doesn't make things much easier over the original kit, because you are still making XBO games on it. It's also not easier to make a Scorpio game, because it's the same game as XBO.

Edit: If this were a traditional generation transition, there would be two teams working on two different sets of hardware, one for last gen and one for next gen. In that case you could say one team (probably the next gen team) would have an easier development experience. But that's not the case here.

Speaking of kids did you wife have the twins yet? Or did she already have them? I can't remember...

OMG someone remembered! lol.

We, or... well... I was hoping for twins. She is only 3 months along atm though so is still in morning sickness stage. So I have my hands full atm lol. Plus getting ready to flip a house for the first time. Gonna be super busy here really quick.

Thanks for asking!

The original question was about using the Scorpio dev kit over the original dev kit. So my answer was completely accurate, because the Scorpio kit doesn't make things much easier over the original kit, because you are still making XBO games on it. It's also not easier to make a Scorpio game, because it's the same game as XBO.

Sigh, I give up. I just don't have the time to engage right now. Good day to you.

scently

Edit: If this were a traditional generation transition, there would be two teams working on two different sets of hardware, one for last gen and one for next gen. In that case you could say one team (probably the next gen team) would have an easier development experience. But that's not the case here.

I don't think you are answering the question properly. What I think he is trying to find out is how easy it is to deploy on Scorpio and how easy it is to use the extra resources it has relative to the XB1. Developing for the X1 is a given and it is entirely possible that MS could have gone with a more esoteric hardware and hubble it in the same generation as the X1 which could be very hard to use. In that case, you incur the cost (time or otherwise) needed to develop the X1 version and whatever extra time needed to use the extra resources of the Scorpio. Is it easy to use or does it require a significant dev time to make use of its extra resources.

Trup1aya

Can you put this in the context of developing a cross gen multi platform game- say AssCreed?

So are you saying traditionally, you'd have a team working on the PS3/360 version and another team working on the PS4/xb1 version?

So In the case of Asscreed:next, you'll have a PS4/xb1-Scorpio team and a PS4pro team?

The Current gen team getting the added burden of the new hardware? And where does PC fit into all this?

Curufinwe

Getting mad at an actual developer because his real life experiences don't match the reality you were hoping for is pretty pathetic.

Matt

I don't think you are answering the question properly. What I think he is trying to find out is how easy it is to deploy on Scorpio and how easy it is to use the extra resources it has relative to the XB1. Developing for the X1 is a given and it is entirely possible that MS could have gone with a more esoteric hardware and hubble it in the same generation as the X1 which could be very hard to use. In that case, you incur the cost (time or otherwise) needed to develop the X1 version and whatever extra time needed to use the extra resources of the Scorpio. Is it easy to use or does it require a significant dev time to make use of its extra resources.
Well again, that wasn't the initial question, the initial question was about using the Scorpio dev kit vs the original dev kit.

But to answer your question, again it depends on how much work a dev wants to put into changes for the Scorpio version, but by and large it's pretty straightforward and easy, about as good as it could be.

freefornow

Gold Member
Are there any other Devs who post on here? Would be good to have more insight into the Dev console and the work involved with creating games. Wasnt the guy who made Ori on here for a while? Someone from 343 Industries as well? Or were they banned?

Dabanton

Are there any other Devs who post on here? Would be good to have more insight into the Dev console and the work involved with creating games. Wasnt the guy who made Ori on here for a while? Someone from 343 Industries as well? Or were they banned?

Doubt many will go into that deep of specifics before next week.

Getting mad at an actual developer because his real life experiences don't match the reality you were hoping for is pretty pathetic.

R6L7Q0.gif

Then I said the audio block of Ps4 is not as capable, giving you a presentation from Sony itself telling developers that they have to use cpu time for some audio tasks that are handled by the audio block on xbone.
This is true. But it was also true with prior Xbox Ones, so it can't be a new advantage Scorpio will have.

As for the dx12 co processor, Ms says that yes, it's an evolution of the one already presented on xbone, but they also said that on Xbone it was need tens of thousands to hundred of thousands instructions for handling draw calls, and on scorpio that number drastically decreases to 9-11 (not thousands) practically freeing the cpu of that burden. Not sure why you are focusing on the fact that xbone already had an earlier version of this, when they are giving the practical result for Scorpio.
Okay, now I see the issue. You've totally misinterpreted what was said. For clarity, here are the precise words (initially a paraphrase by Digital Foundry, and then a direct quote from Graphics Technical Fellow Andrew Goosen):

Microsoft said:
Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

"It's a massive win for us and for the developers who've adopted D3D12 on Xbox, they've told us they've been able to cut their CPU rendering overhead by half...."
The totality of all draw calls is thousands upon thousands of instructions. With Scorpio--and, as later clarified, all other Xbox Ones--each individual draw call is done with 11 instructions. These are not comparisons of the same metric. How many total instructions with the DX12 changes? Unsaid. How many instructions per draw call without the changes? Also unsaid. We can probably say not much more than 22, though, or else a greater total improvement would become possible.

ethomaz

Banned
I though it was clear devs needs to do extra work to take full advantage of Scorpio.

The base game will be made for XB1 that the XDK will indeed already run at better graphical settings on Scorpio... that is a given.

But if you want a different and better AA solution for Scorpio? Dev will need to work on it.

But if you want better lighting or peharps global illumination on Scorpio? Dev will need to work on it.

If you are only developing to Scorpio the dev time will probably be lower than XB1 but you are not... so the dev time is the same of XB1 plus how much effort for different things you put on Scorpio... devs are tied to the XB1 dev time.

People says PC games are made for a lot of different hardware and that indeed true but PC games are not efficiently to use the proper hardware and they didn't use most new features found on hardware because they try to be common to all hardware... of course devs yet do conditions to use the most popular features of the two big GPU hardware brand but a lot of useful features are not used and the game is never fully optimized to any hardware.

Consoles is different... the game will be optimized and fully utilizing all features of Scorpio if they want... that cost dev time... dev time over the base XB1 version.

So XB1 games will run easily on Scorpio but take advance of it features or specific optimizations will need dev work over it.

i'm glad this thread was bumped, i just wanted to make a post

man, i'm so excited for this reveal. i've never owned an xbox before and it'll be a joy to have this as my first 4K blu ray player

-again though, this depends on how it is priced. if it's higher than 400 i'm gonna have to pass

Trup1aya

Didn't Phil say he wanted devs to develop for pc/Scorpio then scale down?

This is over simplified, but- First, They'll make sure their gameplay systems are compatible with the lowest common denominator (the min PC setting), and they'll create their Ultra assets and effects. So the PC versions ships with all the bells and whistles, and the user decides which items to turn on. Then they'll optimize for all the hardware inbetween. The Scorpio will be use assets and utilize some of the effects that PCs can handle yet other consoles cannot.

ethomaz

Banned
Didn't Phil say he wanted devs to develop for pc/Scorpio then scale down?
All games are made like that... PC scaled down to the target hardware... in console case they specifically use features and optimizations... you can say the same for Pro.

I though it was clear devs needs to do extra work to take full advantage of Scorpio.

The base game will be made for XB1 that the XDK will indeed already run at better graphical settings on Scorpio... that is a given.

But if you want a different and better AA solution for Scorpio? Dev will need to work on it.

But if you want better lighting or peharps global illumination on Scorpio? Dev will need to work on it.

If you are only developing to Scorpio the dev time will probably be lower than XB1 but you are not... so the dev time is the same of XB1 plus how much effort for different things you put on Scorpio... devs are tied to the XB1 dev time.

People says PC games are made for a lot of different hardware and that indeed true but PC games are not efficiently to use the proper hardware and they didn't use most new features found on hardware because they try to be common to all hardware... of course devs yet do conditions to use the most popular features of the two big GPU hardware brand but a lot of useful features are not used and the game is never fully optimized to any hardware.

Consoles is different... the game will be optimized and fully utilizing all features of Scorpio if they want... that cost dev time... dev time over the base XB1 version.

So XB1 games will run easily on Scorpio but take advance of it features or specific optimizations will need dev work over it.

Some things will be at the hardware level that will improve XB1 and X360 games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-five-ways-your-existing-games-will-be-better

Matt

Can you put this in the context of developing a cross gen multi platform game- say AssCreed?

So are you saying traditionally, you'd have a team working on the PS3/360 version and another team working on the PS4/xb1 version?

So In the case of Asscreed:next, you'll have a PS4/xb1-Scorpio team and a PS4pro team?

The Current gen team getting the added burden of the new hardware? And where does PC fit into all this?
To simplify, generally a game will be made on PC to design standards expected to be workable on consoles and lower powered PCs, and concurrently dedicated teams are working on the consoles (PS4/Pro and Xbox/Scorpio) to port/redevelop the game as needed.

rokkerkory

Your first sentence shows that you need to do a simple search.

This is true. But it was also true with prior Xbox Ones, so it can't be a new advantage Scorpio will have.
But like I said, we never knew whether it was really an advantage or not because on xbone there was the virtualization cost, and the fact that the gpus were different makes it difficult to tell either way.

Okay, now I see the issue. You've totally misinterpreted what was said. For clarity, here are the precise words (initially a paraphrase by Digital Foundry, and then a direct quote from Graphics Technical Fellow Andrew Goosen):

Oh shite, if that's really what it says than indeed I completely misread. I could swear they said something along the lines: Draw calls consumes a lot of cpu time with up to hundreds of thousands instructions, but on Scorpio this co processor takes care of those draw calls and the cpu submits only a few instructions to offset the load to it.

Perhaps I heard that on the video Richard made? Or better said likely misheard lol XD

Fake Edit: No I didn't misheard, that was what Richard said on the Reveal video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE2hNrq1Zxs

He says that it's a hardware implementation of dx12 that reduces the cpu from up to hundreds of thousands to eleven.

I guess Richard itself didn't understood what it meant when talking about in the video, but likely used recording for the actual quote on the article.

Detective

lol, this reminds me of post X1 launch threads,

Where people making a *positive comment* and baking it by a negative one.

Like , Scorpio is a great hardware , but.. here it comes.. but there are PC's with better hardware.

So amusing and childish.

Matt

Like , Scorpio is a great hardware , but.. here it comes.. but there are PC's with better hardware.

So amusing and childish.
Who is doing that?

KageMaru

Really? I don't think so.

Do they make 867 PC versions of games?

No but the abstraction layer is not as refined or thin on PC since it's meant to support many different configurations. If a developer wishes to just code for XBO and have that code run on Scorpio, I'm sure that'll work. However if they want to implement Scorpio specific features, that would require additional work for that version alone. This is what I meant.

I apologize, I'm not clear what the "it" refers to. Can you elaborate what you mean here?

I mean that if the command processor is indeed improved over what is in the XBO, as they say it is, then yes it should make a difference towards the discussion. However it would seem that we're getting our messages mixed here.

It doesn't. But that's because it's about the command processor. You'll see my use of the "all the functionality" clause was instead referring to the audio block. Here's the DF quote regarding that:

Please ignore the part where Mr. Leadbetter appears not to know what HRTF refers to.

I knew you guys were talking about the audio block but I thought you guys were also talking about the command processor when you were referring to the all functionality comment.

This is a weird thing to say. Games are being developed on and for Scorpio right now, using all the active hardware. Microsoft were clearly not referring to the launch date when they said the commander processor's potential is not being used yet. Otherwise the article would've just been them saying, "Well here's what we built, but we're not using any of it yet" over and over.

I don't get what you're implying here. They say "Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future." but are you saying they don't plan to use it? We don't know why the additional functionality isn't being used. Maybe the APIs aren't done yet (and really they are never truly "done") or maybe they are crunching for launch and don't have time for lower level specific code to take advantage of it.

I guess my point is the improved hardware is in fact there and that's not something that should be dismissed.

Xbox Trump Make Xbox great again

DfNOEQR.gif

gamz

So amusing and childish.

Who is doing that?

The same posters or drive by's in every Xbox thread.

I mean I just think it's funny because it's so predictable.

OMG someone remembered! lol.

We, or... well... I was hoping for twins. She is only 3 months along atm though so is still in morning sickness stage. So I have my hands full atm lol. Plus getting ready to flip a house for the first time. Gonna be super busy here really quick.

Thanks for asking!.

Dude. Can't tell from this - are you having twins or is it just a singleton? If it's twins I'll pm you a load of advice... My boys just turned one.
Ps don't ever hope for twins. I wouldn't wish that first 8 months on my worst enemy.

Dude. Can't tell from this - are you having twins or is it just a singleton? If it's twins I'll pm you a load of advice... My boys just turned one.

We don't know yet. She is only 3 months along. Crossing fingers. Well... l am anyway lol. They do run in both of our families.

I'm flipping jealous btw. I'll take you up on that, Lord willing, if the time comes.

Edit: lol just saw your edit. I'm plugging my ears right now basically. ;)

But like I said, we never knew whether it was really an advantage or not because on xbone there was the virtualization cost, and the fact that the gpus were different makes it difficult to tell either way.
Fair enough. The ultimate point I wanted to make, though, wasn't about disproving everything you brought up. It was about the language you used to discuss these technical features. When you say "the clock difference is 9% but maybe they can get to 15% using special features" you're fundamentally misconstruing what those features do. The GPU command processor, audio block, or whatever else are all intrinsic to the hardware. They literally can't raise the performance above the specifications.

The correct way to frame such discussions is about how the features increase efficiency. They make it easier for games to reach that 9% difference, but you don't end up with an altered gap number. Games don't "punch above their weight", they get better at "punching their weight". I know this may sound like a pedantic difference, but precise language really does make technical concepts easier to grasp. For example, it puts the idea of "thin" APIs into clear context: their thinness is how much they intercede between the game and its full utilization of hardware resources.

Fake Edit: No I didn't misheard, that was what Richard said on the Reveal video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE2hNrq1Zxs

He says that it's a hardware implementation of dx12 that reduces the cpu from up to hundreds of thousands to eleven.
Wow, yeah, I can totally see how you got confused here! I don't know if he misunderstood or just misspoke himself, but that's a serious error by Mr. Leadbetter.

I guess you see now why I was saying that Microsoft didn't claim Scorpio's command processor to be any better than prior Xbox Ones (yet). You can expect 50% or less improvement on DX12 titles, not near 100% reduction.

I knew you guys were talking about the audio block but I thought you guys were also talking about the command processor when you were referring to the all functionality comment.
Well, for now the command processor is also no different in Scorpio than in other Xbox Ones. But due to its further potential, that could change in the future. Not so for the audio block.

I don't get what you're implying here. They say "Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future." but are you saying they don't plan to use it? We don't know why the additional functionality isn't being used. Maybe the APIs aren't done yet (and really they are never truly "done") or maybe they are crunching for launch and don't have time for lower level specific code to take advantage of it.
I was implying nothing beyond what Microsoft said: that the extra potential isn't being used right now. My point was that, since they didn't speak this same way about the other features they spoke of, it can't be simply because games using the tech haven't come out yet. It' must be because it's not available to devs. We don't know why that is, but it's immaterial. Since Scorpio's launch games are being made right now, any tech not currently active will not be used in the first wave of titles.

I certainly don't think that the extra functionality will never be used. Just that we can't expect it to make any difference until they, y'know, start utilizing it.

Fair enough. The ultimate point I wanted to make, though, wasn't about disproving everything you brought up. It was about the language you used to discuss these technical features. When you say "the clock difference is 9% but maybe they can get to 15% using special features" you're fundamentally misconstruing what those features do. The GPU command processor, audio block, or whatever else are all intrinsic to the hardware. They literally can't raise the performance above the specifications.
But I never said that. I said that the overall performance is likely to be higher than 9% of the clock would suggest on Scorpio due to having more cpu time available to the game. Not that these customizations makes the cpu punch above its weight in any meaningful percentage, but they could be the difference between a stuttering game to a smooth one.

Wow, yeah, I can totally see how you got confused here! I don't know if he misunderstood or just misspoke himself, but that's a serious error by Mr. Leadbetter.
Yeah, I did read the article after watching the video but I guess since I already expected it to say what he said on the video I glanced over it.

I guess you see now why I was saying that Microsoft didn't claim Scorpio's command processor to be any better than prior Xbox Ones (yet). You can expect 50% or less improvement on DX12 titles, not near 100% reduction.
Yeah, that quote makes clear that the results for now are the same on xbone, with potential to further improve along the way.

I was implying nothing beyond what Microsoft said: that the extra potential isn't being used right now. My point was that, since they didn't speak this same way about the other features they spoke of, it can't be simply because games using the tech haven't come out yet. It' must be because it's not available to devs. We don't know why that is, but it's immaterial. Since Scorpio's launch games are being made right now, any tech not currently active will not be used in the first wave of titles.
Indeed. I can see why they didn't pushed it further yet. They did deliver Dx12 for xbone for xdk titles but uwp is still under dx11 (though they are already testing Dx12 support). We'll likely only see Scorpio specific development features for Dx12 once they get the basis up and running on both development platforms, specially since they are pushing uwp going forward.

But I never said that.
I can understand that perhaps you never intended to, but you did say this:
[Scorpio] has a 9% higher clock, it may potentially offer more than 9% more performance....

Scorpio's CPU offers exactly 9% more performance, and that can't be raised. The accurate way to talk about technical shortcuts is that they're more efficient at using the available performance (though sometimes with tradeoffs). I know this may sound like splitting hairs, but such precision is important. It stops providing an atmosphere conducive to completely false statements like "Due to built-in CBR support, the PS4 Pro is more like a 6TF machine than a 4TF machine."

Does Scorpio have technical changes that will allow code to run more efficiently versus PS4 Pro, as opposed to standard Xbox One versus PS4? I think the only reasonable conclusion right now is that it does not. The audio block hasn't improved, the command processor hasn't improved yet, and the other improvements seem to be Polaris features that Pro also has.

What Scorpio does have versus Pro is much more RAM, more memory bandwidth, a slightly faster CPU, and a much faster GPU. Even if there were minor efficiency gains in the architecture, they're going to be totally negligible next to those advantages. Scorpio will run games better than Pro simply because it's a more powerful device.

We don't know yet. She is only 3 months along. Crossing fingers. Well... l am anyway lol. They do run in both of our families.

I'm flipping jealous btw. I'll take you up on that, Lord willing, if the time comes.

Edit: lol just saw your edit. I'm plugging my ears right now basically. ;)
12 week scan is where we got the twin news... Not sure what part of the world you are in but guessing you have a similar scan any day now?

12 week scan is where we got the twin news... Not sure what part of the world you are in but guessing you have a similar scan any day now?

I live in the states. We are shooting for just one scan at 20 weeks. Gonna be a Christmas delivery. My 5 year old is excited to get a play mate or two! I'm a stay at home dad for the most part so I would be handling the brunt of it btw.

On Topic lol, do you guys think the Scorpio will at least get it's own or different startup screen? Have they said anything about that yet?

I live in the states. We are shooting for just one scan at 20 weeks. Gonna be a Christmas delivery. My 5 year old is excited to get a play mate or two! I'm a stay at home dad for the most part so I would be handling the brunt of it btw.

On Topic lol, do you guys think the Scorpio will at least get it's own or different startup screen? Have they said anything about that yet?

Xbox One S has a different than original Xbox One.
Just the console image, afaik
That is to be expected

cakely

It hasn't been said but I assume the Scorpio will get a different (and probably fancier!) startup screen. I'll guess that it will be the startup Xbox One logo, with the addition of whatever the console ends up being called, "X", "Elite", "4K".

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
you know what i could really go for at the launch of this thing

a Sunset Overdrive Scorpio patch

We really need to get to the next page so I don't get nauseous every time I load this page. That to comment on mobile, ughhhh.

Edit: haha we're good now. New page it is.

jelly

Kinda sucks dynamic resolution wasn't really a thing in the beginning, would have been an easy win to 1080p for many games. Now they are kinda stuck a 900p or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom