• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

willbsn13

I'm curious - do you have an external HDD connected? If not, give it a try.

We've tested a lot of HDD configurations, but on the whole, moving your games to an external HDD, and leave the internal for system resources, provides probably the best overall load time experience - even faster than an internal SSD in many cases.

Yeah I've found this to be the case with my One. Hopefully Scorpio provides faster load times regardless.

How are you feeling about E3? Only one week to go :D

This kind of choice will be up to developers to implement.

I hope they will and can, that would be a huge selling point. But games having 16x AF, downsampling at a system based level (for 1080p TV owners) and the implementation of 4K textures due to the extra ram of Scorpio will show pretty nice differences. ;-)

I totally am. Been attending reviews all week and there will be some cool stuff. Of course *I* would say that. We'll see what you guys think in a week :)

I'm absolutely STOKED for this years E3 press conference of Xbox. You guys need to fire on all cylinders, the competition is very, very strong.
And i can't wait to see Crackdown 3 on Scorpio, i'm expecting a great and fun game with David Jones as the director. Crackdown 1 was the ultimate sleeper hit on Xbox 360 imo.

Good luck to you and everyone at the Xbox team. :)

Hawk269

This is all correct. Perhaps the biggest surprise (for me anyway) has been supersampling and how much better the game can look then native 1080. There was a good video on YouTube doing a bunch of comparisons at various resolutions.

But yes for those confused, supersampling (obviously) only works on games designed to be enhanced for Scorpio and running above 1080 get that feature.

Albert, please talk to whoever you need too, but if it is not already planned, you guys need to release 1080p direct feed footage of Super sampling taking place and of course any 4k direct feed videos. Even though you and the team are going to broadcast the conference via Mixer at 4k, not everyone has a 4k set. By releasing the videos in both 1080p and 4k, it will give people that don't have access to the stream to be able to see what Scorpio can do for both 1080p owners and 4k owners.

The majority of the gamers are on 1080p sets, so providing direct feed footage of games that are down sampled and providing those videos for download, will give everyone the opportunity to be able to see the difference themselves.

Hope you guys have a fantastic show and looking forward to it.

We've tested a lot of HDD configurations, but on the whole, moving your games to an external HDD, and leave the internal for system resources, provides probably the best overall load time experience - even faster than an internal SSD in many cases.

yes i have.

and that is exactly what i would prefer.
the OS and only APPs on an internal (small and cheap 256gb) SSD
all the games on an external HDD

as we speak right now.
what about an option to default install all APPs on the internal HDD and all games on the external HDD. right now you can only set both to either side or have to do it for every app / game individual.

ResoRai

I totally am. Been attending reviews all week and there will be some cool stuff. Of course *I* would say that. We'll see what you guys think in a week :)
Thanks for all the info, really can't wait for Sunday. I need me that Crackdown 3 gameplay 😬

Also can ya'll tell the camera crew not to zoom off gameplay so much. Was pretty bad last year.

m23

Thanks for all the info, really can't wait for Sunday. I need me that Crackdown 3 gameplay 😬

Also can ya'll tell the camera crew not to zoom off gameplay so much. Was pretty bad last year.

This. So much. It is so damn annoying when we're trying to watch gameplay/trailers. Something needs to be done about that.

Hawk269

50% faster hdd times? Yesssss!

We know that all current internal drives are 5200 RPM. Are we thinking this will be a 7200rpm and due to the better processor and perhaps other things gives it the 50% boost? My external is a 7200RPM and I also have a SSD, are we going to see the improvements there as well or is this ONLY for the internal HDD?

Not directing the question to you rokkerkory, but to anyone.

Pachinko

One more week to go everyone !

Locking in my final prediction right now - It'll be called the Xbox 4K , it'll launch (starting) at 400$ for a 1TB model , it'll be out earlier than most people think (late September even) , it'll have a tweaked xb1 pad for a controller and the HDMI pass through will support hdmi 2.1 straight out of the box.

The Halo news will possibly be that Halo 5 will receive a big update to run at 4K 60 fps with substantially tweaked graphics AND possibly that the master chief collection will receive a big free update to better utilize the scorpio along with rebuilt match making ... AND it'll be free as a digital download to anyone that buys a scorpio this year that doesn't already have it.

yes i have.

as we speak right now.
what about an option to default install all APPs on the internal HDD and all games on the external HDD. right now you can only set both to either side or have to do it for every app / game individual.

I can tell you from testing you wouldn't see much if any improvement with an internal SSD in that configuration. The only case where you would see any difference is if you turn the console completely off vs. having it in standby.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the SSD really doesn't save enough time vs. the cost. I fear people would be pretty mad at the added cost vs. what they actually see.

x-Lundz-x

I hope you give us who don't want external hdd around to have the option with a Scorpio with an internal SSD, or at least match Sony and let me install my own. No reason this should not be a standard in 2017. :)

I can tell you from testing you wouldn't see much if any improvement with an internal SSD in that configuration. The only case where you would see any difference is if you turn the console completely off vs. having it in standby.

I know it seems counter-intuitive, but the SSD really doesn't save enough time vs. the cost. I fear people would be pretty mad at the added cost vs. what they actually see.

thanks for the reply. will this be the same with xbox scorpio or is it only an original xbox one behaviour, because of the interface?

Locking in my final prediction right now - It'll be called the Xbox 4K , it'll launch (starting) at 400$ for a 1TB model , it'll be out earlier than most people think (late September even) , it'll have a tweaked xb1 pad for a controller and the HDMI pass through will support hdmi 2.1 straight out of the box.

The Halo news will possibly be that Halo 5 will receive a big update to run at 4K 60 fps with substantially tweaked graphics AND possibly that the master chief collection will receive a big free update to better utilize the scorpio along with rebuilt match making ... AND it'll be free as a digital download to anyone that buys a scorpio this year that doesn't already have it.
Haha no chance in hell, but if Phil were to go on stage, read your post and then walk off with nothing more said, I'd be elated.

Jumeira

Banned
One more Week!! FUUUUUUU!

I hope you give us who don't want external hdd around to have the option with a Scorpio with an internal SSD, or at least match Sony and let me install my own. No reason this should not be a standard in 2017. :)

The idea of opening up your machine when a discrete HD plugged in is available seems like a colossal waste of resource and time, these arnt problems that need solving as the solution is more than adequate.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Yea I don't get why some people go apeshit over putting an SSD in their console, saving 10 seconds for games that take 45-90 seconds to load, and saving only a couple of seconds for games that load faster.
An SSD shouldn't load only 20-30% faster, it should be more than twice as fast.
Seeing my Windows 7 boot up in 20 seconds when compared to 2 minutes previously, that's a real improvement. Seeing games load in <5 seconds where otherwise it'd take 30-60 seconds, that's a real improvement.
Consoles just aren't ready for SSDs yet, no need to spend hundreds of dollars and be stuck with a 256-512GB just to save 30% on loading times.

Xbox One S launch was a good test for SW resiliency and even that minor boost told us a lot. So our approach was to build a box where the games would run, and *if* we detect a problem we can allow the game to run without the extra power.
This makes sense. Though PS4 Pro's universal upgrade approach is more conservative, overall there seem to be very few games that run poorly with its Boost Mode. I don't imagine Scorpio will be much different (though it is a bigger change from the standard model for sure, far bigger than with S).

This is probably not something we'll get into detail about in terms of how it works beyond what we said to DF. And I'm personally not that closely involved with the test team on how this is going to be implemented.
It's quite understandable if you're not deeply knowledgeable about this particular aspect of the project. But I'd suggest and request that you seriously reconsider the bolded, perhaps with some other involved spokesperson. The users most excited by Scorpio, and most likely to buy in and evangelize it, are also the ones most interested in the details of how it'll improve their experience.

One of the most common complaints about how Sony has handled Pro benefits is the lack of clear communication regarding how individual titles are affected. Whether it's via Scorpio's "boost mode" or official patches, the core audience wants to know the nitty-gritty details. Technical talk will not scare them off...and the lack of such could easily be seen as more of the same disappointment with Pro.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

I still wish the OS wasn't so heavily reliant on the internet for everything.

Mine is back to being quite clunky and sluggish again.

Hey Albert, Scorpio is doing lots of things at a system level, that's great. But can you choose between resolution and framerate? Native 4K is really nice BUT if i can have 1080p with 60fps i will always go for the latter...

That is something my PS4 Pro doesn't provide right out of the gate. Only happens (not always!) when devs put effort in a "Pro" patch.
Rise of the Tomb Raider, Hitman and The Surge are showing how it's done.
MS talked about it during the DF reveal. Games can offer a performance mode but that mode is required to be available on all resolutions supported.

In those games you mentioned if they were to offer 60fps, probably would have to resort to checkerboard to get higher than 1080p and 60fps while not losing graphical detail over xbone.

x-Lundz-x

One more Week!! FUUUUUUU!

The idea of opening up your machine when a discrete HD plugged in is available seems like a colossal waste of resource and time, these arnt problems that need solving as the solution is more than adequate.

I know the 5 minutes it took to replace my PS4 and PS4 pro drive was the biggest waste of time ever. Why should we have "options" am I right?

yes i have.

as we speak right now.
Mass management features would be nice too. For moving /copying many items at once.

Albert, please talk to whoever you need too, but if it is not already planned, you guys need to release 1080p direct feed footage of Super sampling taking place and of course any 4k direct feed videos. Even though you and the team are going to broadcast the conference via Mixer at 4k, not everyone has a 4k set. By releasing the videos in both 1080p and 4k, it will give people that don't have access to the stream to be able to see what Scorpio can do for both 1080p owners and 4k owners.

The majority of the gamers are on 1080p sets, so providing direct feed footage of games that are down sampled and providing those videos for download, will give everyone the opportunity to be able to see the difference themselves.

Hope you guys have a fantastic show and looking forward to it.

Microsoft should definitely listen to this. This is something that many here could arrange with access to the content, communication with the studios, the right equipment and a place to upload the videos. So Microsoft should definitely try to make this happen. At the end of the day it would be terrible for the only means of re-watching the best things shown on scorpio is low quality streams from various sites or youtube.

Hawk269

Microsoft should definitely listen to this. This is something that many here could arrange with access to the content, communication with the studios, the right equipment and a place to upload the videos. So Microsoft should definitely try to make this happen. At the end of the day it would be terrible for the only means of re-watching the best things shown on scorpio is low quality streams from various sites or youtube.

Provide very high bit rate versions as well for those want to see the highest quality pixels (joking). But seriously, I really hope they do this. They already made a very smart decision in broadcasting the show in 4k via Mixer, now they need to do the same and provide the entire conference in addition to individual trailers in both 4k & 1080p, both very high bit rate and regular. Proof is in the pudding as the saying goes, so MS needs to get this footage out and make it easily available to anyone.

ganaconda

Faster HDD = 7,2000RPM instead of 5,400? or a faster SATA III interface instead of SATA II?
or even both?

possible option to swap the internal HDD?
or do i already ask to much and better come back to you in 1 week ;)

Probably both, all that has been stated is that they are increasing the bandwidth by 50%. Going from SATA 2 to SATA 3 increases the theoretical bandwidth by 100%, but no standard disc based drives can even hit SATA 2 speeds so this would have no effect unless they put an SSD in there which they obviously aren't. Based on that I would bet on going from 5400 to 7200 RPM, which could definitely lead to a 50% increase in filling the bandwidth available depending on the quality of the drive.

Albert may be able to elaborate though :)

H5 4K updates, yep agreed. MCC 4K updates, no way they associate MCC with Scorpio in any way shape or form IMO.

ganaconda

A few posts above people are asking for the 1080p stream to show downsampled footage instead of native 1080p.

Gotcha, I found the posts you're referring to. I think people are confusing super sampling and downsampling. They aren't the same thing, although similar. Super sampling is a far superior technique and reduces aliasing significantly compared to downsampling.

Having the 1080P stream be a downsampled version of the native 4K content should be pretty easy for them, in fact easier than showing a native 1080P version of the footage as that's different source content. However, showing a super sampled version of the game footage on the 1080P stream would be pretty difficult. I could see them maybe releasing super sampled versions of the trailers shown, but the whole conference?

You're talking about different source content for the stream with super sampling.

cackhyena

You really should go the external route. It's the best outcome for these machines.

Gotcha, I found the posts you're referring to. I think people are confusing super sampling and downsampling. They aren't the same thing, although similar. Super sampling is a far superior technique and reduces aliasing significantly compared to downsampling.
When used universally across the entire image they're the exact same technique, just described in two different ways. "Supersampling" means to probe a greater number of points than you have pixel centers in your final buffer. "Downsampling" is taking the results of a certain number of probes, and blending them to match the number of pixel centers in your final buffer. So they're the same, provided the same number of samples are taken in each case. A game running at 1080p with 4x supersampling will look the same as a game rendering at 4K and downsampling to 1080p.*

There is a real difference in the terms, which is that games can selectively supersample regions of an image, or components of an image, for various reasons: dynamic shadow reconstruction, temporal AA, better lightmaps, etc. Those effects can happen even if there's no buffer larger than 1080p, whereas "downsampling" has a more restricted use. But when talking about supersampling the whole image non-selectively, the two terms converge.

*They might look very slightly different if different probe patterns are used (ordered-grid, jittered, etc.), but this isn't inherent to the two methods, so far as I know.

Why not? I bought it only for the campaigns, and I haven't been disappointed.

Poor brand association/reflection on Scorpio. Why would they? It's been done to death for remakes, it's left a bad taste in arguably more than 50% of Halo consumers who bought MCC. Why touch it at all now? H5/Forza are the show ponies, Scorpio is a move forward not backwards.

Unless they had the foresight to update everything to 4K when developing MCC I just don't see it getting anything but tiny patches or inherent boosts baked in with Scorpio. I think they'd be nuts to push an already sour taste to Xbox fans with MCC/Scorpio being on stage. I don't see it.

Push Halo 5/6/sideline Halo game looking glorious for Halo/Scorpio.

newbong95

then you are suggesting that maybe a 7200 rpm hdd or a sshd drive is better for the cost and performance ratio ?

Dynomutt

then you are suggesting that maybe a 7200 rpm hdd or a sshd drive is better for the cost and performance ratio ?

That is true in general. The price to performance on an SSD is traditionally higher. I think this would apply to the gig per dollar factor as well.

I just want to know when the damn pre-orders go up. I need mine day one. My 4K TV is thirsty.

Flipping between Destiny 2, Crackdown 3, and the new AssCreed. This will be a damn good holiday man.

Hexer06

I don't want an external HDD, I want a 1-2 TB internal SSD like in my PS4 pro.

I agree that it is good to have options and they should support it as well. I'm guessing you buy mostly, or all, physical games? The thing I keep in mind is Externals are easier to transport (say if you're going to a friends house or something), and will be easier to use when changing systems. It helped me IMMENSELY when I changed from Xbox One to the One S. It will be a god send when I get the Scorpio as well :D. Even if Scorpio will be your first Xbox, if they keep the "generationless" approach they say they're going, you'll be able to carry all your games to the next Xbox if you choose to do so. :)

AmyS

Eurogamer:

Xbox is close to being a brilliant games platform, but it needs games to get it there
The pressure's on for E3.

We would say this, but Microsoft's decision to reveal the specs of Scorpio, its Xbox One hardware refresh, exclusively through Digital Foundry was a very smart move. They knew a leak was likely once the machine was presented to developers, so they got in front of it. And they know that this souped-up console needs to win back the hearts and minds of the gaming hardcore who defected to PlayStation three and a half years ago. To convince those guys, you need to convince core-of-the-core communities like NeoGAF, and to convince NeoGAF, you need to convince Digital Foundry.

Naturally, the only reason this strategy could work is that all the right calls had been made in putting this machine together. One was designing it as a purist game console: the most powerful and best-engineered ever, more akin to the original Xbox and Xbox 360 than the original Xbox One's multimedia hub. Another good decision was targeting late 2017 for its launch, when Microsoft knew parts would be available that would enable it to reliably hit native 4K resolutions, just at the same time as 4K TVs become the mass-market industry standard. (It's already happened; try buying anything other than a small, budget 1080p set now.) By contrast, Sony's PlayStation 4 Pro was poorly explained, confusingly conceived and jumped the gun, launching before the chipsets or the customers were quite ready.

So Phil Spencer will have earned a feeling of great satisfaction when he finally reveals Scorpio - along with its name, release date and price, we hope - on stage at E3 on Sunday. You may not buy into the concept of mid-generation hardware refreshes designed purely to push more pixels - and that concept certainly has yet to be proven - but what we know of Scorpio suggests that, on its own terms, it's going to be a very tasty bit of kit.

Full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-platform-but-it-needs-games-to-get-it-there

Mike Ybarra of Xbox engineering just announced (minutes ago) on Twitter that Scorpio now has 9gb of Ram allocated for devs to use for their games.

"We’ll keep tuning Scorpio to empower creators to share the best versions of their games. Unlocked extra GB of RAM for them, now 9GB of GDDR5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom