• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio has system-wide supersampling for 1080p display users

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good, it's ridiculous on Sony's part letting devs set the res of the games. I didn't buy a damn pro to play games at 1080p if a higher res is available.

The problem comes when running at 4k and downsampling takes the performance below that of a native 1080p res system, as what happened when TLOU did this, and certain people (*cough* DF) made it out to be a major issue.

LewieP

Does this mean that there is no option for a native 1080p output with other enhancements.

Supersampling is nice, but it seems like a pretty inefficient use of the extra horsepower for 1080p users.

Edit: Wording is a little ambiguous. Is it mandatory that games run in supersampled 4k outputting to a 1080p display, or is it mandatory that games support running in supersampled 4k outputting to a 1080p display.

Exactly.

Unless of course those graphical differences don't matter anymore.

We've had years of people telling us how important that differences between ps4 and xbox one versions of games are.

Let's see what those people have to say now that every 3rd party game will look and run better on the scorpio. Something gives me a feeling that it won't really be important anymore. Or whatever other reasons people will give to sleep better at night.

Really? I could swear DF and others kept saying it doesnt matter and get the game on the console you want when last gen everyone fell over themselves to say "don't buy this game for the ps3 because it's inferior to the 360."

Santar

The problem with downsampling is when you end up with worse performance than on standard 1080p.
I'd take smoother regular 1080p over downsampling any day.

drotahorror

Didn't think supersampling and downsampling where the same thing.

A downsampled image will also display the UI in whatever resolution you're downsampling from (tiny UI if going 4K to 1080).

I thought supersampling was a form of AA, thus your UI elements will remain the same and easy to read.

What Sony is doing is shameful. I have a 4K tv, fortunately, but there's no excuse for the current climate around 1080 content on the pro.

Andrefpvs

The problem with downsampling is when you end up with worse performance than on standard 1080p.
I'd take smoother regular 1080p over downsampling any day.

The article appears to be written on the basis that you will be given this option, without the game arbitrarily locking you into only one mode depending on what display you own.

What AF do xbox one, ps4 and ps 4 pro use ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-five-ways-your-existing-games-will-be-better

3. Improved texture filtering

Resolution is an important, defining aspect of image quality but it is not the only one. Texture filtering is hugely important - and it's actually an element where both PS4 and Xbox One have let us down a little compared to the same titles running on PC, where the full force of 16x anisotropic filtering can make a big difference.

"We built into the hardware the capability of overwriting all bilinear and all trilinear fetches to be anisotropic," Andrew Goossen reveals. "And then we've dialled up the anisotropic all the way up to max. All of our titles by default when you're running on Scorpio, they'll be full anisotropic."

Good quality texture filtering will make a big difference to a large number of Xbox One titles, where typically 4x anisotropic tends to be the balancing point chosen by developers.
The leap to 16x, enforced at a system level by the back-compat engine, is a huge boon, especially in concert with the complete lack of screen-tear and smoother overall performance. More good news: this new feature extends to Xbox 360 games too.

black070

This will most likely ensure third-party releases enable supersampling on the Pro too, though the list of titles missing it was low to begin with.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Good quality texture filtering will make a big difference to a large number of Xbox One titles, where typically 4x anisotropic tends to be the balancing point chosen by developers. The leap to 16x, enforced at a system level by the back-compat engine, is a huge boon, especially in concert with the complete lack of screen-tear and smoother overall performance. More good news: this new feature extends to Xbox 360 games too.

So does the bolded refer only to old Xbox One/360 games and newer games that might be pushing the console harder won't enforce AF 16x?

monodlee

the way the op title is written is a little misleading. it makes it sound as though super sampling is built into the scorpio, but really this is more of a policy placed on devs than a feature. itd be interesting to know how much scorpio dev tools or hardware features ease implementation.

I speculated about this a while ago and people said no way. Not only did they manage system wide super sampling, but also system wide 16x AF on all titles (Xbox One and Xbox 360).

the way the op title is written is a little misleading. it makes it sound as though super sampling is built into the scorpio, but really this is more of a policy placed on devs than a feature. itd be interesting to know how much scorpio dev tools or hardware features ease implementation.
It's system level.

k4HAdXj.jpg

I chuckled.

But yeah, this is good news for me until I get a 4K setup.

Praise Scorpio

jett

D-Member
This is the bare minimum what I expected out of the Pro. Sony really has handled shit terribly. I'm not surprised Microsoft is making all the right moves, I'm sure they were looking the Pro's reception rather closely.

ironcreed

Banned
I am in no rush to pick up a 4k TV, so this is a huge plus. But if I do decide to pick one up in the next couple of years or so, the system is going to automatically be even better. They covered all bases with the design here and made sure that it is built to last for people like me.

TrojanAg

Hope Sony is listening because if they don't then I'm basically going third party strictly on Scorpio. I'm sure a lot of other people will too.

Interfectum

This is the bare minimum what I expected out of the Pro. Sony really has handled shit terribly. I'm not surprised Microsoft is making all the right moves, I'm sure they were looking the Pro's reception rather closely.

Yup. There should have been an immediate benefit on 1080p that Pro users could see even on their unpatched games. Sony is definitely scrambling with things like Boost mode... we'll see if they can continue to improve that to mitigate some of Scorpio's 1080p features.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Hope Sony is listening because if they don't then I'm basically going third party strictly on Scorpio. I'm sure a lot of other people will too.

I highly doubt Sony will care at all. Especially as the bulk of the sales are inevitably going to be on the low-cost SKU. This thing is not a volume seller.

Freeman76

I own a Pro and an Xbox one so this post is not a biased one. I am dissapointed in the Pro really, it doesnt do much more than the base console, even though it looks sharper on my 1080p tv its only for games with a patch implemented.

This move from Microsoft shows that they are willing to put some effort in now, and not only compete but almost call Sony out and challenge them to do better.

Sony has killed it (rip) for games this year, their exclusives are off the charts so far, and if MS can start delivering there things will get really interesting.

I am also interested to see how many devs are going to want to make games for the Scorp that are currently doing exclusives for Sony. It must be a real draw for a creative mind to want to let loose on such powerful tech.

Interesting times, this could very well shake things up (which is healthy as Sony can easily rest on their laurels atm).

Arttemis

this is great news.
so devs don't even have to do anything

They do, though... don't they? Every Scorpio game has to run on the original Xbox One, so that means the game has to be developed around its hardware and ~1080p resolution target. Then, the developer has to scale it up for the higher capabilities of the Scorpio with higher resolution, effects, foliage, etc. I'm not saying that's hard, since they're claiming Forza only took two days - but by all accounts, it's an easy job for the PS4 Pro, too.

The only thing that's different about this and the Pro's situation is that many PS4 Pro is that some of the Pro-supported games were offering an option to select from the rendering modes. Now, it seems PS4 Pro games will run at 4K on 4K displays or 1080p without supersampling. Either Sony is idiotic, or they're paving way for a firmware update to allow system-level supersampling. If or when that firmware capability is added, then there would be no difference between the supersampling capabilities.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
this is great news.
so devs don't even have to do anything
If you mean that they don't have to do anything to get older games running in 4K (or supersampled on 1080p screens) - they do have to patch them. This however means that devs could technically target just one high resolution for future games, and let the system downsample it for 1080p displays - instead of implementing bespoke handling of 1080p mode of their choosing, like some PS4Pro games are doing.

Now, it seems PS4 Pro games will run at 4K on 4K displays or 1080p without supersampling. Either Sony is idiotic, or they're paving way for a firmware update to allow system-level supersampling.
That is absolutely not true. Most games that support Pro offer downsampling, both those patched and released recently.

psyfi

Banned
I'm totally clueless when it comes to this stuff. I know AF is anti-something filtering, but what does it do and why specifically is 16x AF something to get excited about?

Top Bottom