• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

theBishop

Banned
Not really true. There are plenty of advances to be made in both hardware and software. As far as processor design goes there isn't a lot of room for evolutionary growth but there is plenty of room for revolutionary growth.

With an effective resolution cap of 1080p they don't need any advances in ?PU over what is currently available. What they need is what they've always needed, better software. As one of the early posters joked, for all the hardware advances we've seen AI never seems to get significantly better. There are exceptions to this, but the simple fact that they are indeed exceptions shows that it isn't a hardware problem.

Screen resolution has very little bearing on now CPU designs will evolve going forward. High-end processing is mainly about servers processing massive data pools in parallel.

What we've been seeing since the beginning of game consoles is more and more unification around a handful of architectures, designed for a wide variety of purposes. There's even less variety in GPU design.

There's a pretty good possibility that Cell will be the last architecture specifically customized for a game console, and even that had PowerPC at its core. For all the handwinging at the beginning of this generation about the "exotic" Cell architecture, it's far more like a PC CPU than PS2's Emotion Engine. By comparison, last generation Xbox used a P3-era Celeron and Gamecube used a G3 comparable to what Apple was shipping.

WrikaWrek

Banned
If each core has 4 threads, 4 cores would be ok IMO.

The console is coming at the end of 2013. MS has been working with IBM and Global Foundry for quite awhile now, and has invested quite a bit of money.

All to come up with a 4 core PPC? Really?

theBishop

Banned
It can finally have Uncharted!

+1

:)

Just imagine what Platinum Games would do with UC3's technology on a next-gen platform. You could have Vanquish shootouts on top (or inside of) collapsing buildings. Rocket-sliding between a fleet of Navy battleships. Who knows. It's going to be ridiculous and wonderful.

RoyalFool

Banned
16 cores? Jesus, you'd really have to base your games around the fact it has 16 cores in order to get any sort of efficiency out of it, it's hard enough getting a modern game engine using 4 cores to a decent extent, let alone 4x that.

Black-Box

no they didn't! they said "developers expect Sony’s Playstation 4 to be more powerful than the next Xbox"

ya, your right, but it still means something that they would even mention that, if it was a biased/fake article, they wouldn't mention that

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I love all this talk of a bundle of cores, processors, doubling up on GPU's and more, and yet few if any beyond Sony's studios got creative with the PS3's offerings in that respect.

DieH@rd

Banned
So it's likely a 4 core 16 threaded variant of the Power7 series?

Cool. That should be a tidy quiet CPU.

That is a massive cpu (567 mm2 @ 45nm), but on the other hand is crazily fast. 1 of its core core [4 threads] is by some estimates as fast as entire x360 CPU.

Brera

Banned
Is this like the SNES? It had 8bits but acted like it had 16bits but it wasn't a true 16bit like the MegaDrive and thus inferior?

That is a massive cpu (567 mm2 @ 45nm), but on the other hand is crazily fast. 1 of its core core [4 threads] is by some estimates as fast as entire x360 CPU.

Yes, massive CPU. Though I'm sure by dropping unnecessary transistors and on a smaller wafer you'd get it into the manageable arena. Honestly though... 4core Power7 variant is the only thing that would make sense for this rumor.

Is this like the SNES? It had 8bits but acted like it had 16bits but it wasn't a true 16bit like the MegaDrive and thus inferior?

Nope probably a dev that said cores instead of threads so the journo isn't confused.
I because with threads he has to see if they are hardware threads or software threads.

eso76

stronger than current gaming pcs?

right.

considering it's not launching for another 18 months that's not unbelievable, plus Microsoft might want their next console to last even longer than the x360 and is not afraid of losing significant amounts of money at first, seeing how popular and profitable their console has been in its late years.
Maybe they exactly want to extend their console's third age.

KageMaru

This is a good point as well, even if they cut off the fat from the Power 7, it's likely to still be a huge chip (relatively speaking).

Shikoro

More likely 16 threads [4 cores with 4 threads each]. Power7 supports that without a problem.
That would make a lot more sense compared to this.

Don't fret when the console rumors start to bore, they will promptly add another core.
Nice, that also rhymed. :D

16 cores 64 threads, running at ~ 50 watts is totally reasonable.
lol

Goodness!
shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg
So you have $1000 to spend? How many jobs do you have?

Needs at least 2GB of RAM per core, AT LEAST.
Hahaha, no...

1 Crysis per AwesomeCore.
I lol'd :p

Top Bottom