• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

Orayn

There's lots of posts with that stupid pic of the console peasants, and that person is never banned. So it is ok to post the meme towards console gamers, but not PC gamers?

I guess? I'm just relaying what mods have said in the past, dude. If that picture/phrase bothers you, PM one of them about it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Putting all rumors together is looks like they a using 2 SOC. http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/25619-oban-initial-product-run-is-real

So you get 2x 8 core CPU with 7000 built at 32nm.

2Gb per soc for 4GB total ram

You get 16 cores and dual gpu

Considering that most PC gamers have 4 Core and play high end games today this is a GREAT setup for the next XBOX. It will be powerful enough to do alot more complex gaming, and multimedia features. Kinect 2.0 will probably use 1-2 cores itself though during games.

The video card has me worried if we cant get 1080p Standard with AA all at 30-60 FPS locked than I will be sad panda.

By the way, how do we not know this isn't supposed to be some "Cell" (not THE cell) type design that's based on parallel processing? Data crunch numbers on specialized cores...not general processing cores...?

EDIT: More likely being a quad core with 4x multithread.

-SD-

Banned
16_coorsi0uqm.png

Majanew

Banned
I guess? I'm just relaying what mods have said in the past, dude. If that picture/phrase bothers you, PM one of them about it.

It doesn't bother me, I just keep reading it's bannable. So when someone posts it, I see if they get banned. Nope.

Perkel

Banned
Why people go bonkers ?

Current gen CPUs in either X360 or PS3 were few times stronger than any consumer CPU in 2006.

in 2006 i had two core cpu and that was only the beggining of two cores on PC's. Then x360 hit the market. 3 PPc cores each dual. So 6 threads.

then at the end of 2006 PS3 with it's 7 cores.

Any thing less than 4 in next gen will be downgrade.

Damn even Vita has 4 core CPU and 4 core GPU.

People, think first type later.

Wouldn't that be crap to develop for though? But I guess it's gotta have loads of cores for a console that people may still use in 2020.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Why people go bonkers ?

Current gen CPUs in either X360 or PS3 were few times stronger than any consumer CPU in 2006.

in 2006 i had two core cpu and that was only the beggining of two cores on PC's. Then x360 hit the market. 3 PPc cores each dual. So 6 threads.

Any thing than 4 in next gen will be downgrade.

this post is truth. Johan Andersson (the lead engine architect at DICE) was complaining about PC CPUs in 2010. He said that the a lot of CPUs on the market are weaker than what we have in HD twins.

Orayn

Why people go bonkers ?

Any thing than 4 in next gen will be downgrade.

People, think first type later.

Not all architectures are created equal. The Cell and Xenon are pretty beastly on paper, but both are bogged down with enough other tasks when actually running a game that the differences aren't as great as you'd think.

DarkChild

Banned
Wouldn't that be crap to develop for though? But I guess it's gotta have loads of cores for a console that people may still use in 2020.
Not really. If you can scale to 4-8 cores, you will be able to scale to 16. Problem with scaling is more of Cell problem because SPUs need to be constantly feed by PPU and in line with GPU, regular Power PC dont.

Perkel

Banned
Not all architectures are created equal. The Cell and Xenon are pretty beastly on paper, but both are bogged down with enough other tasks when actually running a game that the differences aren't as great as you'd think.

Problem weren't with X360 or PS3 CPU's but with Ram and GPU's. Even today Cell is comparable to better consumer CPU's.

Problem with consumer CPU's are that are for everything. Meanwhile Console CPU can focus on gaming aspect.

As of next consoles nobody can't predict what will be under the hood.

My bet it's again PowerPC. Any Intel or AMD stuff for CPU is joke.

robin2

Couldn't it be that a 16 cores devkit translate into a 8 cores with 2 threads per core, for the final specs?

neptunes

The devkit should be considerably more powerful than the final console right? I.e. the final release having at least half (or %60) of the core available.

Erebus

With all those rumors flying around, it makes me wonder if Sony/MS will decide to show something at E3 this June.

monome

16 cores, 2gpu, radeon 7 series etc....
Two things are sure:
Kinect needs powa to be actually usefull
Nextbox needs a fair amount of power for its OS

I think the games prowess will be derived from MS vision of what the OS and Kinect need to achieve next gen.

Once you get that you return to wiiu equation of cost vs power.

500€ is tops. With kinect included. No way we get a MS tablet controller from start.

CPU needs to be multicore.
OS needs to be fast and be able to handle online activity disxreetly.

Box itself cannot be bigger than aliensware latest.
And for that size MS needs to sell compelling media use.

I think they are better off at 400€ to get some air for launch games to sell.

No way we get super xbox and kinect for that price.

Superhardcore will go the PC road again.

I think next gen is a stop gap, and everybody is gonna try to cash in with good but not extraordinary stuff before the digital revolution.

4 cores and optimized gpu sounds good

KageMaru

Problem weren't with X360 or PS3 CPU's but with Ram and GPU's. Even today Cell is comparable to better consumer CPU's.

Problem with consumer CPU's are that are for everything. Meanwhile Console CPU can focus on gaming aspect.

This isn't really the case at all. Current gen CPUs have rather poor single thread performance for example. Sure they look pretty good if we pay attention to FLOP counts, but that's the wrong way to look at these chips.

Also if you think using an AMD CPU is a joke, then you may not be too happy with the PS4 (according to rumors).

Raide

With all those rumors flying around, it makes me wonder if Sony/MS will decide to show something at E3 this June.

While I don't see it happening, I also don't see them letting Nintendo run off with all the tech chatter. MS are focused around Kinect and selling more 360's, so I expect a price drop as well as more features/announced games. They might also reveal a bit about the 720 in an attempt to 1-Up Nintendo (I think MS classically go before Ninty and Sony, so it would be a perfect way to do it.)

Triple U

Banned

Traditonally I would say IBM would be the best because of PPC but Intel has surpassed them in almost every aspect. The only problem with that is Intel would tax the shit out of a console maker.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
More than likely, 8 dual threaded cores, which is commonly mistaken for 16 discrete units. 8 cores would also match up to that earlier rumour.

Couldn't it be that a 16 cores devkit translate into a 8 cores with 2 threads per core, for the final specs?

I believe power7 can have 4 threads per core.
So a 4 core power7 with each core having 4 threads.

I think that as a dev had to leak this i would also say 16 cores instead of 4 cores with each 4 threads.
Because then the journalist can get confused with software threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7#Specifications

Top Bottom