• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

foxdvd

artist rendering of the next xbox...

durangoy.jpg

theBishop

Banned
What specs? The only thing spec-worthy in the article is number of cores, which is meaningless in terms of overall horsepower. The only thing that means is more threads in comparison to a machine with fewer cores, more threads which will require more work from the developers to take advantage of.

You still have to fit into the same power/heat footprint which means you're not going to get 16 cores each as fast as the cores in a machine with fewer cores sitting in the same footprint.

It is why I made the pizza joke. More threads/slices aren't always useful. :)

More cores/threads/slices is really the only way forward. Clock speed has basically topped out around 3.5Ghz. Any higher and heat is a major concern.

I have hard time believing that both MS and Sony don't have spies of their own that tell them what is going on behind closed doors. I mean so many people are involved in a project that takes years, impossible not to have a mole.

So these rumors are probably more about magazines, sites getting hits. Not saying that there isn't some true to them, but 90% is probably nonsense. Or maybe rumors are spread so that big guys see out reactions.

I don't doubt there isn't some corporate espionage, but honestly both companies can look at what's available tech-wise, look at heat, cost, and come up with a pretty accurate idea of what the other guy is cooking up.

More than likely half this rumors have some merit, but are garbled by people that don't understand what they're hearing, i.e. 16 threads = 16 cores. The only rumors I sorta believe right now is the MS went with 4gb of ram...and that's just cause they can subsidize the loss and hurt Sony in process.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MS will surprise everyone and make a console less powerful than the 360.

They'll just drop the Xbox brand alltogether and sell the Microsoft Kinect console!

Jokes aside, 16 cores/threads is.. my poor computer :(. Still on a E8500 dual core :lol

saladine1

Disappointing if true.
I was actually hoping for at least 20.5 cores and dual 7970's and 16 gigs of ram.
Next gen will be boring....

16 cores? Undoubtedly complete bullshit.
NeoGaf Believe!!
Don't laugh, this is gaming journalism at is finest!!

16 cores and yet enemy AI will still be terrible.
Damn Right!!
All wasted on kinect
gTI4H.gif

7RFdY.gif

"Some might say that it's just like two duct tapped PCs"
At least 3 PC duct taped together, we are talking about 16 cores, that server level processors, they must be using a lot of these:

yMp7b.jpg

12 Cores reserved Kinect to get 1:1 response so that you can really enjoy that Starwars Game.

That's bullshit, that game can't be enjoyed.

Over 9,000 cores

M9qs7.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
More cores/threads/slices is really the only way forward. Clock speed has basically topped out around 3.5Ghz. Any higher and heat is a major concern.

Not really true. There are plenty of advances to be made in both hardware and software. As far as processor design goes there isn't a lot of room for evolutionary growth but there is plenty of room for revolutionary growth.

With an effective resolution cap of 1080p they don't need any advances in ?PU over what is currently available. What they need is what they've always needed, better software. As one of the early posters joked, for all the hardware advances we've seen AI never seems to get significantly better. There are exceptions to this, but the simple fact that they are indeed exceptions shows that it isn't a hardware problem.

USC-fan

Banned
Kinect so this is going to be packed in with every console. That sucks.... that's $50-$100 wasted that most gamers don't care about. I rather that money be spent on more tech inside the box.

I think kinect is the reason the ps4 would be more powerful. Unless Sony does something stupid and try to copy wiiu or pack in move. Just give us the most powerful console u can buy for $500.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Good idea! What have we heard so far for the Nextbox? Off the top of my head:

16 core CPU
8 core CPU
6 core CPU
2 7000 series GPUs
1 7000 series GPU
1 6000 series GPU
4GB RAM
2GB RAM
Blu-Ray disc drive
No disc drive
Internet connection required
Internet connection not required
Regular controller
Tablet controller
Kinect built in
Kinect bundled in

Anything else?

i think that's all for now...

until release the list will grow

Orayn

Kinect so this is going to be packed in with every console. That sucks.... that's $50-$100 wasted that most gamers don't care about. I rather that money be spent on more tech inside the box.

I think kinect is the reason the ps4 would be more powerful. Unless Sony does something stupid and try to copy wiiu or pack in move. Just give us the most powerful console u can buy for $500.
This is adorable. It's like I've traveled back in time to 05/06.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
nib95 said:
And with Sony?
While the said deal was supposedly better, Sony's move to NVidia was just as rushed and desperate as MSs was.

-ImaginaryInsider said:
but are garbled by people that don't understand what they're hearing, i.e. 16 threads = 16 cores.
I've seen threads advertised as cores by people who work with hw for a living - it's not something I'd blame entirely on listeners understanding, it could just as well be an intentional PR move. And if threads come with dedicated execution resources it's not a whole lot of difference either.

Can some mod PLEASE change the thread name from "cores" to "threads"? :-/

Why would a mod change the title when the article says cores?

If you want to make up a rumor and discuss it, with the way things are going lately I'm sure someone will make a thread if you create a blog.

DieH@rd

Banned
16 cores?! How will the master race respond to this affront?

They will buy year+ old i7 processor with "12 cores".

Also, consoles use CPUs made for master race servers. They usually have more "cores", but are generally totally unusable in ordinary PC day-to-day work [those cores are highly parallelized, which is good for serving 100 people that are connected to the server that host 20gb+ database, or smth].

chiablo

The playstation 3's Cell Processor has 9 cores. Core count doesn't mean shit if developers don't know how to utilize it, or if it is not fully optimized.

Valve is essentially the masters of manipulating PC hardware to do their bidding, here's a detailed writeup of how they do multi-core rendering in the source engine:
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2006/11/02/Multi_core_in_the_Source_Engin/1

I doubt console developers will do much with the additional cores. I'm sure Epic and a few first party developers will use the hardware to it's full extent, but I don't think we'll a benefit to multi-core rendering on consoles for another 5 years.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You know what? Fuck it. 16 cores? Sure. Why not. At this point they could tell me it makes toast and opens my garage door.

Xbox next wont, Kinect 2 will. Voice recognition in you household objects. Wake up in the morning "Xbox, shower, on, hot! Xbox, toast, light brown."

Orayn

Xbox next wont, Kinect 2 will. Voice recognition in you household objects. Wake up in the morning "Xbox, shower, on, hot! Xbox, toast, light brown."

Gotta network it to your Keurig so you can say, "Xbox. Tea, Earl Grey: hot."

Edit: Beaten like Worf in an episode where they need to show how strong some new character is.

Majanew

Banned
They will shrug and warn you that the "master race" meme can get you banned.

There's lots of posts with that stupid pic of the console peasants, and that person is never banned. So it is ok to post the meme towards console gamers, but not PC gamers?

Top Bottom