• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox World Rumor: Xbox 720 Devkit Specs Detailed, Includes 16-Core Processor

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't tell me people are actually believing this shit?

16 threads in total maybe, but cores?

Xbox 720, $2000 confirmed.

Well, to be fair, it's plausible insofar that early dev kits are usually if not always notably more powerful than the final retail unit. I recall reading that initial PS3 dev kits had a GPU configuration akin to SLI'd 6800s, for instance.

aegies

It's interesting to hear their comments about GDC, since we were hearing that no one knew anything about the PS4. To the point where there was concern.

As for the processor thing, the story in January was that IBM had manufactured thousands of processors for next-gen Xbox devkits. That isn't new information, this is just corroboration.

eso76

Durango can be phonetically spelled as "Do-rango". I think you're on to something! :p

Well, in the movie Rango comes up with that name when he reads "Durango" on the label of one of the bottles in the saloon..
and yeah, also "Do Rango !"

oOc1e.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
16 cores? Oh man, that Samaritan demo will looks like child's play compared to the possible games that come out from there. But it sounds fishy. Are we sure that instead of 16 cores, we're talking about SPU's?

I am starting to think that Sony and Microsoft are releasing these rumors to prevent us from getting the real facts.
CONSPIRACY.

nib95

Banned
Because Nvidia screwed them over.

Could you elaborate?

In any case, HUGE contracts for ATI here. Whatever happens in the PC realm, having these next gen consoles armed with ATI GPU's is going to be a humongous earner for AMD.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, in the movie Rango comes up with that name when he reads "Durango" on the label of one of the bottles in the saloon..
and yeah, also "Do Rango !"

That slipped my mind; I haven't seen it since the theatrical release.

injurai

Banned
I am starting to think that Sony and Microsoft are releasing these rumors to prevent us from getting the real facts.
CONSPIRACY.

I think the rumors are some sort of secret war trying to force the other party to respond in panic to what is otherwise a lie. We are the civilian casualties.

The oddest bit to me is this Crytek employee apparently Tweeting that he was at a "Durango conference". Seems like something the NDAs would forbid, i.e. it's bullshit.

EDIT: And a quick Google tells me I was wrong, someone did actually Tweet this. Odd.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Why not 128 cores? We have the technology

The oddest bit to me is this Crytek employee apparently Tweeting that he was at a "Durango conference". Seems like something the NDAs would forbid, i.e. it's bullshit.
My tennis partner's cousin worked there and he would spill things all the time :lol

theBishop

Banned
I don't think 16 cores is too outlandish. There are affordable 8-core desktop CPUs right now. The SPUs in PS3's cell processor aren't comparable to conventional x86 cores, but in a technical sense Cell could be considered an 8-core cpu.

These are the times we live in. The reason there's such a disconnect is that general-purpose computing tasks no longer drive a CPU to its limit. On the other hand, the popularity of mobile devices are forcing all hardware designers to shrink as much power as possible into a small, low watt chip. That trend has direct benefits on the development of high-end cpus too.

So yeah, bring on the 16-core. And if Sony is going to top it, we're in for an exciting next-generation.

Woo-Fu

Banned
In related news the 16 slice 12" pizza crushes the 8 slice 12" pizza in 9 out of 10 synthetic benchmarks.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Hope you like expensive consoles. Both MS and Sony rumors are a bit worrying and sound like they have learned nothing.
It's going to be on the market for a long time so they have to take some losses initially, but I don't think it's going to be absurdly expensive like the launch PS3 was. Most people should be expecting a $350-$450 price point for both MS and Sony's consoles.

Globox_82

Banned
I think the rumors are some sort of secret war trying to force the other party to respond in panic to what is otherwise a lie. We are the civilian casualties.

I have hard time believing that both MS and Sony don't have spies of their own that tell them what is going on behind closed doors. I mean so many people are involved in a project that takes years, impossible not to have a mole.

So these rumors are probably more about magazines, sites getting hits. Not saying that there isn't some true to them, but 90% is probably nonsense. Or maybe rumors are spread so that big guys see out reactions.

FStop7

Banned
My guess is that if there is any truth to this it's 8 hyperthreading cores, and somehow that was misconstrued to be 16.

SparkTR

Could you elaborate?

Nvidia ensured Microsoft wouldn't make a profit off the original Xbox due to them not selling Microsoft the chip design patent or something. I'm sure someone else is much more knowledgeable on the subject.

Jarmel

Banned
Do we even know which 7000 series card they are even looking at?

Then watch the RAM being the limiter again.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Could you elaborate?

In any case, HUGE contracts for ATI here. Whatever happens in the PC realm, having these next gen consoles armed with ATI GPU's is going to be a humongous earner for AMD.

Xbox was a financial clusterfuck for MS because their hardware partners weren't interested in revisions, lowering costs accordingly, etc.

Basically, MS was stuck. So they gave a big fuck you to Nvidia and Intel.

theBishop

Banned
In 2005, the high end PC CPU was dual core. MS put out a 3-core cpu in xbox360, and a year later Sony put out a cpu with 1 conventional core and 7 custom co-processors.

16-cores in Q4 of next year is not unbelievable when 8-core cpus are priced for mainstream PCs today.

injurai

Banned
I have hard time believing that both MS and Sony don't have spies of their own that tell them what is going on behind closed doors. I mean so many people are involved in a project that takes years, impossible not to have a mole.

So these rumors are probably more about magazines, sites getting hits. Not saying that there isn't some true to them, but 90% is probably nonsense. Or maybe rumors are spread so that big guys see out reactions.

Don't you know. The engineer's behind these systems live in sheltered underground facilities and are isolated from the world ala Manhattan project. This is serious shit, the only mole around would be a literal one... deep under ground. Man I could right a fan-fic based on the consoles wars.. and It would be terrible ;)

Proelite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_A2

The PowerPC A2 is a massively multicore capable and multithreaded 64-bit Power Architecture processor core designed by IBM using the Power ISA v.2.06 specification. Versions of processors based on the A2 core range from a 2.3 GHz version with 16 cores consuming 65 W to a less powerful, four core version, consuming 20 W at 1.4 GHz. Each A2 core is capable of four-way multithreading and have 16+16 instruction and data cache per core.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
What about the RAM & GPU? It won't matter how many cores you have. If you don't have a good amount of RAM and a good GPU.

I want all these rumors to be collected into one list and made into a bingo board for when the consoles launch.

Good idea! What have we heard so far for the Nextbox? Off the top of my head:

16 core CPU
8 core CPU
6 core CPU
2 7000 series GPUs
1 7000 series GPU
1 6000 series GPU
4GB RAM
2GB RAM
Blu-Ray disc drive
No disc drive
Internet connection required
Internet connection not required
Regular controller
Tablet controller
Kinect built in
Kinect bundled in

Anything else?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yep.

I'm still waiting for PC-Gaf to post and shit on these specs as barely comparable to current PCs.

What specs? The only thing spec-worthy in the article is number of cores, which is meaningless in terms of overall horsepower. The only thing that means is more threads in comparison to a machine with fewer cores, more threads which will require more work from the developers to take advantage of.

You still have to fit into the same power/heat footprint which means you're not going to get 16 cores each as fast as the cores in a machine with fewer cores sitting in the same footprint.

It is why I made the pizza joke. More threads/slices aren't always useful. :)

As far as "beating" the PC those days ended when they started using PC hardware in the consoles.

Top Bottom